The 2019 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

The 2019 Silly Season thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's right, this thread is 100% needed.

So after Alonso's not-very-subtle comments at Le Mans about his desire to win the Indy 500 next, who's willing to place an avatar bet against him moving to IndyCar for 2019? :ugeek:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2019 Silly Season thread

Post by Butterfox »

Well apparently theres rumours that Force India might be taken over by Andretti. Not sure how legit these rumours are.It's not a secret FI would welcome any serious buyer, but for andretti it might be an overstretch, unless if they perhaps share a part of their indycar operations with McLaren?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

This wrote:Well apparently theres rumours that Force India might be taken over by Andretti. Not sure how legit these rumours are.It's not a secret FI would welcome any serious buyer, but for andretti it might be an overstretch, unless if they perhaps share a part of their indycar operations with McLaren?

Doesn't Zak Brown have at least some control/ownership of Andretti (hence the Walkinshaw Andretti United entries in Supercars), meaning if that was to occur, Brown would probably have to leave United or Mclaren, or perhaps make FI a Mclaren B-Team (although with Mclaren's form as it is, there's some argument for the arrangement being the other way around...)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

This Could Be You wrote:
This wrote:Well apparently theres rumours that Force India might be taken over by Andretti. Not sure how legit these rumours are.It's not a secret FI would welcome any serious buyer, but for andretti it might be an overstretch, unless if they perhaps share a part of their indycar operations with McLaren?

Doesn't Zak Brown have at least some control/ownership of Andretti (hence the Walkinshaw Andretti United entries in Supercars), meaning if that was to occur, Brown would probably have to leave United or Mclaren, or perhaps make FI a Mclaren B-Team (although with Mclaren's form as it is, there's some argument for the arrangement being the other way around...)

As far as i know he only has a share in United Autosports, but the close ties are very clear. I just wonder how FI would fit into all of that. (other rumoured buyers are Mercedes and BWT, which both make more sense)

And yeah i'm not going to miss Alonso's whinging in F1, he's better of in Indycars now. Let Norris in F1 instead. And perhaps the Latifi family buying shares of McLaren can give a tip of a number 2 driver in Indycar?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

This Could Be You wrote:

Not quite. Walkinshaw Andretti United is three separate entities as majority shareholders, those being Andretti, Zak Brown and Ryan Walkinshaw which I don't believe have a lot to do with each other apart from bankrolling the thing. As far as I understand, Ryan still does all the day-to-day decision-making down here, and the other two help with car development Stateside

Where the real fun starts with that mob however is that Walkinshaw Performance used to be a division of GM Holden before Holden Australia tore up the factory deal with Walkinshaw in Supercars and went to Triple Eight instead. So GM sold off Walkinshaw to be an independent entity, yet Walkinshaw still has the contract for GM's performance road car division here. In fact, Walkinshaw have just won the contract to do the RHD conversion on all the imported Camaros, to be sold as Chevrolets in the Walkinshaw/Holden dealership network

Go figure :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

It seems that Joe Saward was the one who started the story about Andretti being interested in Force India, which if anything makes me less inclined to believe the story. He does have a bit of a habit of spreading rumours about Force India being in financial difficulty and supposed attempts to buy the team - such as claiming in 2017 that David Brabham was looking to buy Force India - and sometimes I cannot help but wonder if that is being driven by his known personal grudge against Mallya and his former association with Caterham, which was on the losing side of a legal fight with Force India.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Autosport reports that Red Bull will switch to Honda engines for 2019 :shock:
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Frentzen127 wrote:Autosport reports that Red Bull will switch to Honda engines for 2019 :shock:

Hilarious times ahead for either them or McLaren. Presumably McLaren, since Alonso is there....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

But why? Have they shown progress with Toro Rosso enough to justify an entire plan built around Honda? To me this looks like Red Bull are half-digging their own grave. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
IceG

Post by IceG »

I'll stick my neck out here and state that this could be a fabulous move for Red Bull. Honda do get it right (after they have tried everything else) and build great engines.

The litmus test may well be when we know where Ricciardo is heading...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I think this means Red Bull asked Renault for 'more time to decide' and Renault said 'our deadline is our deadline, deal with it or bathplug off' so they had no choice but Honda. So Aston Martin sponsored Honda works team?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Rob Dylan wrote:But why? Have they shown progress with Toro Rosso enough to justify an entire plan built around Honda? To me this looks like Red Bull are half-digging their own grave.

Oh, I really hope so.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

This wrote:So Aston Martin sponsored Honda works team?

Shades of BMW Sauber Ferrari
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Rob Dylan wrote:But why? Have they shown progress with Toro Rosso enough to justify an entire plan built around Honda? To me this looks like Red Bull are half-digging their own grave. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Can see why this makes sense for Red Bull. The relationship with Renault has never been totally happy, and neither Mercedes nor Ferrari are going to want to supply a direct rival. Also, while expecting Honda to pull a 1988 style monster out of thin air purely because they were good 30 years ago is ridiculous, you would imagine that they'd be able to progress up to something near the other suppliers; especially if they have all four Red Bull cars running them and providing data. Also, you'd imagine Red Bull would be a de facto works team, which is widely regarded as a necessity in F1 these days.

It seems like Red Bull have weighed up the pro's and cons, and decided that the short term negatives are outweighed by the long term positives.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:But why? Have they shown progress with Toro Rosso enough to justify an entire plan built around Honda? To me this looks like Red Bull are half-digging their own grave. Happy to be proven wrong though.

The indication is that Red Bull does seem to believe that is the case, and there have been a few rumours floating around that suggest that, following the recent updates in Canada, Honda's package is now on a fairly even footing with Renault (slightly thirstier and with some issues with the energy recovery systems clipping earlier than the Renault unit, but on the other hand there are suggestions that Honda's engine has a smoother torque curve than Renault's power unit).

I can see why Red Bull might have decided that it is worth taking a gamble on Honda for 2019 and 2020. Reliability seems to have improved to the point where it's reasonably good, and it's not as if Renault haven't had a few problems on that front either.

Furthermore, Renault may well have been reducing the level of support Red Bull has been receiving as they focus on their own works team, whilst with Honda they would be the sole focus of their development efforts and can work on more bespoke developments (particularly with things such as fuel - Red Bull, using a different fuel supplier, have to pay Renault to run separate dyno runs to calibrate their engines for their fuel mixtures).

The indication is that Red Bull seem to think that Honda's potential future development plans are also promising, and potentially better than Renault - Renault have not been without issues in developing their power units either, particularly the MGU-K (which was meant to be upgraded to a lighter unit in 2017, but that still has not taken place yet due to reliability issues).

Being able to partner with Honda and becoming their works team is probably Red Bull's best bet of getting to the front by trying something different. Their financial musclepower means they probably have a reasonably secure 3rd place in the WCC even if the partnership with Honda proves to be a slight backwards step or a sideways step, and the deal is short enough that they have options to look for possible new partners in 2021 if it doesn't work out.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IceG

Post by IceG »

IceG wrote:The litmus test may well be when we know where Ricciardo is heading...

And it begins... https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... a-1047180/

Ricciardo would surely be top of the list as a driver for Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Renault?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So Alonso to IndyCar, and Ricciardo to McLaren? Seriously, anyone for an avatar bet? :D

In that case would we have Gasly going to Red Bull?
IceG

Post by IceG »

Rob Dylan wrote: In that case would we have Gasly going to Red Bull?

I suspect Red Bull would oik Sainz back from Renault PDQ what with their junior programme having comprehensively broken most other drivers who have been through it.

Alonso seems toxic so Ricciardo looks like the key to team moves for 2019.

Where is Kvyat these days?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Ricciardo will not go to Mclaren surely? He's seen how much Alonso has gone to waste there right?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Speculations going around that Ferrari are looking to promote Leclerc into their second seat for next season.

Well, that would be a bold choice.

As for Ricciardo, the better choice for everyone would be for Renault to throw bags of money at him and Red Bull, with Sainz going back to RBR to partner Meksh. McLaren doesn't need a top driver - that would mean sacrificing either Vandoorne or Norris.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'll second that it would be one hell of a bold choice! We could have a big shake-up at the front of the field by next year! Leclerc to Ferrari, Ricciardo out of Red Bull. Bottas might be thanking his lucky stars that Mercedes would probably look to stability against their rivals, and give him another season, if these hypothetical scenarios happened.

Leclerc in Ferrari? Seems too good a story to be true, and because of that, it probably is :?
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:I'll second that it would be one hell of a bold choice! We could have a big shake-up at the front of the field by next year! Leclerc to Ferrari, Ricciardo out of Red Bull. Bottas might be thanking his lucky stars that Mercedes would probably look to stability against their rivals, and give him another season, if these hypothetical scenarios happened.

Leclerc in Ferrari? Seems too good a story to be true, and because of that, it probably is :?

It would be a remarkable break from Ferrari's traditionally conservative hiring policies, and because of that I am likewise not expecting it to happen. I think it is more likely that we'll see Kimi stay at Ferrari for one more year, with Leclerc staying at Sauber (perhaps with Ferrari seeing if they can Giovinazzi in there alongside him and use Leclerc as a benchmark), with Leclerc not moving up to Ferrari until 2020 at the earliest.

It does suggest that Ferrari is definitely out of the picture for Ricciardo - though I am surprised that Ricciardo is "too expensive" for Ferrari when you imagine that Kimi is unlikely to be cheap - and, with the suggestion that Mercedes are likely to keep Bottas for stability and because they think that he's had a pretty decent start to the year, it suggests that Ricciardo's only options are fairly limited.

There is a suggestion that he is holding out for now because he wants to see what Hamilton does at Mercedes - Hamilton's contract expires this year, and he may be hoping that there is the possibility that, with Hamilton sounding more publicly dissatisfied with the impacts of aero on the cars and on how fragile the tyres are, he might decide to quit F1 and give Ricciardo a chance there (it seems like a bit of long shot though).

I have to agree that McLaren doesn't seem like a particularly appealing choice at the moment - there seems to be signs of significant conflict within the ranks there, and you sense that there are internal issues holding them back that will take a few years to sort out. They're not too badly resourced for now, but there is only so long that their backers will be prepared to underwrite the team for.

The other team that has been suggested is Renault, which perhaps makes a bit more sense - moving to a factory team perhaps offers better chances of longer term success, though Renault is one of the smaller factory teams nevertheless. However, Renault had indicated that their long term ambition was to build the team around Hulkenberg, which could create a bit of conflict there - it also seems that Ghosn is a little reluctant to open the spending taps any further just yet, and Renault have suggested they're not going to throw money chasing star figures in the sport.

novitopoli wrote:Speculations going around that Ferrari are looking to promote Leclerc into their second seat for next season.

Well, that would be a bold choice.

As for Ricciardo, the better choice for everyone would be for Renault to throw bags of money at him and Red Bull, with Sainz going back to RBR to partner Meksh. McLaren doesn't need a top driver - that would mean sacrificing either Vandoorne or Norris.

Mind you, the relationship between Verstappen and Sainz Jr when they were together in Toro Rosso was reportedly rather challenging - there were a few stories of bitter arguments, shouting matches and Marko publicly facing down and telling off both drivers in front of the rest of the team because they were causing so much internal friction. There was the suggestion that promoting Verstappen to Red Bull was as much about averting a crisis in Toro Rosso as anything else, so trying to pair them up again at Red Bull might reignite those same issues.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

mario wrote:lots of things...
So what you're trying to say is Bottas will stay at Mercedes another year; Raikkonen will stay at Ferrari another year; and Ricciardo will stay at Red Bull another year? My my, what an exciting Silly Season we have this year :P
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Iltalehti just published a story claiming that Räikkönen has been approached by McLaren with a £10 million offer. The source of this story is Philip Duncan, sports writer for Press Association.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:Iltalehti just published a story claiming that Räikkönen has been approached by McLaren with a £10 million offer. The source of this story is Philip Duncan, sports writer for Press Association.

Is he generally trustworthy and reliable?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For goodness' sake, could everyone please stop hiring Raikkonen!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Iltalehti just published a story claiming that Räikkönen has been approached by McLaren with a £10 million offer. The source of this story is Philip Duncan, sports writer for Press Association.

Don't know, first time I've heard of him...

It does make sense though, given how likely it seems that Alonso will bail out after this year. The team still needs an experienced driver if they want to stand any chance at regaining their former status, especially if the other seat is taken by Lando Norris. However, despite his experience Räikkönen is not really good with providing the feedback needed to develop a good car, and I have my doubts he'd be interested in driving in the midfield with a minimal chance of podiums.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

Nuppiz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Don't know, first time I've heard of him...

It does make sense though, given how likely it seems that Alonso will bail out after this year. The team still needs an experienced driver if they want to stand any chance at regaining their former status, especially if the other seat is taken by Lando Norris. However, despite his experience Räikkönen is not really good with providing the feedback needed to develop a good car, and I have my doubts he'd be interested in driving in the midfield with a minimal chance of podiums.

I agree that, if Kimi does leave Ferrari, it's unlikely to be to McLaren - it'd probably be into retirement instead.

Rob Dylan wrote:
mario wrote:lots of things...
So what you're trying to say is Bottas will stay at Mercedes another year; Raikkonen will stay at Ferrari another year; and Ricciardo will stay at Red Bull another year? My my, what an exciting Silly Season we have this year :P

Yes, pretty much - as things stand, it sounds like Kimi's perhaps the only driver who could be on the move, but we've heard that said for several years now and yet he's still there.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Kimi to McLarens indycar team tho...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Eric Boullier resigns from McLaren effective immediately

All is not well in the State of Milton Keynes...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wizzie wrote:All is not well in the State of Milton Keynes...

Why, are Red Bull cleaning house as well? :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Simtek wrote:
Wizzie wrote:All is not well in the State of Milton Keynes...

Why, are Red Bull cleaning house as well? :deletraz:

You're so incorrigible sometimes :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:Eric Boullier resigns from McLaren effective immediately

All is not well in the State of Milton Keynes...

Well, I suppose that McLaren's recent problems meant that something would eventually have to give, and Boullier did seem like he was getting a lot of flack for the bullish comments he'd made to the press last year about how good the car was, only for the team to underperform this year.

It sounds like there may be an attempt at a more major "root and branch" reform of McLaren, particularly the "matrix structure" that was adopted and problems with pinpointing problems because of that. Mind you, Barnard sounded rather pessimistic about the prospects for the team if those changes were made, suggesting that it might be too much for McLaren to take - the parallels between Williams and McLaren do not make for particularly good viewing at the moment for either team.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Well it is no surprise, he has looked lost and in the background of stormy waters. Mclaren have been accused in recent years of being too mechanistic and clean. They have lacked a hands on leader who can drag the team forwards. Not sure who is a good replacement in that mould like, but they need someone who can lift the guys at the factory and be ruthless with the chaff on the car.

Not likely to be next season but 2020 or 2021 I expect they'll have a fair chance
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Forgive me but I thought he'd resigned years ago. I see so much more of Zak Brown that I'd thought he was now the team manager at McLaren.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Not really a surprise but that is the first piece in place...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lewi ... t-1061352/
IceG

Post by IceG »

Now this on the other hand is really silly...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... s-1061540/

Stroll to buy Force India?

Ocon off to where?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's very interesting that both of these come out of the woodwork at the same time.

On one hand we have a Mercedes regular getting a contract extension. On the other hand we have a team with a Mercedes junior in it facing rumours it's taking on a new driver. Would this mean Ocon will move to Mercedes? It doesn't seem like Pérez is facing any issues with the team to get rid of him, whilst Ocon is certainly more on the up than his teammate.

Stroll moving to Force India seems to me to indicate that Bottas is being replaced at Mercedes. I just wonder if he has any chance at the second Ferrari seat...
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Not really a surprise but that is the first piece in place...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lewi ... t-1061352/

It was being hinted at for quite some time - the main question was probably not one of if Hamilton would sign an extension, but how long that extension would be for.

In some ways, it could be said that Hamilton's contract has been partially dictated by those of Vettel and Verstappen - with both of those drivers having signed deals with their teams until the end of 2020, that already cuts out quite a few alternative options (even if Hamilton has indicated that one of those other teams did make an approach). It's a situation where all three of those drivers are effectively influencing what the others do in response - as each one signs an extension in turn, it means the other drivers in turn are locked into their current teams.

Rob Dylan wrote:It's very interesting that both of these come out of the woodwork at the same time.

On one hand we have a Mercedes regular getting a contract extension. On the other hand we have a team with a Mercedes junior in it facing rumours it's taking on a new driver. Would this mean Ocon will move to Mercedes? It doesn't seem like Pérez is facing any issues with the team to get rid of him, whilst Ocon is certainly more on the up than his teammate.

Stroll moving to Force India seems to me to indicate that Bottas is being replaced at Mercedes. I just wonder if he has any chance at the second Ferrari seat...

Of course, if the rumours are anything to go by, that second seat at Ferrari has already gone to Leclerc...

I am not sure if the stories are linked, or if it is just a case that, with certain journalists having been stirring the pot recently by posting more claims that Mallya will be selling Force India, people are pairing a rich driver and a team with a tight budget together based on expectations of a deal rather than evidence of a deal occurring.

I mean, earlier this year we had claims of a sale to Rich Energy, then a few weeks ago another new rumour was posted suggesting that the Andretti family were interested in Force India. Given how frequently we hear rumours about Force India, and how rarely those rumours turn out to have any substance at all, I am inclined to add the suggestion of Stroll to Force India to that same pile of steaming ordure.

I suspect that, come the end of the year, we'll probably see Bottas staying put - it's increasingly looking like the only major change at the front will be Leclerc's promotion to Ferrari, with Kimi presumably going into retirement, as the drivers at the major teams want to wait and see how the upcoming 2021 regulations might play out.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Well, with a bunch of silly season headlines all flying about, I think it's time for me to throw out a 2019 grid prediction, as is tradition:

Scuderia Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel & Charles Leclerc
With Kimi Raikkonen not getting any younger, and highly-vaunted young driver Charles Leclerc seemingly walking on water at Sauber, it seems entirely reasonable that he should be offered a chance at a top team. Given that Raikkonen has usually maintained that he would like to finish his career at Ferrari, this ought to be the end.

Mercedes AMG - Lewis Hamilton & Valtteri Bottas
Lewis Hamilton has now signed his contract extension, which nobody ever doubted that he would. There are some rumours flying around that Valtteri Bottas could be out on his limb to make way for Esteban Ocon, but I honestly can't see why you'd get rid of him at this stage.

Red Bull Racing - Daniel Ricciardo & Max Verstappen
This one is all but sewn up: Verstappen has signed on for years hence, while Ricciardo has nowhere else to go but down the grid. Really, staying at Red Bull is his only option.

Renault Sport - Nico Hulkenberg & Carlos Sainz
With Nico Hulkenberg bossing it in Formula 1.5, Carlos Sainz provides highly-talented back-up. With no better drivers especially available than Sainz, and the driver himself hostile to the idea of returning to Toro Rosso, it suits everyone for him to stay.

Haas F1 Team - Kevin Magnussen & Sergio Perez
Haas has spent most of the season as a very good one-man team courtesy of Kevin Magnussen. While Romain Grosjean grabbed himself a very useful fourth place at Austria, it doesn't take away the countless errors he has made all season. Perez is a better option for Haas, and Haas is a better option for Perez.

Force India* - Esteban Ocon & Lance Stroll
It makes complete sense for Esteban Ocon to stay put, given that he is the heir apparent to whichever Mercedes driver leaves the team first. Meanwhile, Lawrence Stroll is looking to take his money to the former Jordan team, and with it his son Lance. When that happens, the team will probably change both its name and its relationship with Mercedes.

McLaren Renault - Fernando Alonso & Stoffel Vandoorne
To retention of both of their drivers would make very little sense: one is a highly paid and profoundly unmotivated veteran, whose interests lie almost exclusively outside of Formula One; the other remains uncompetitive regardless of how many opportunities he has. They have a junior on their books who has won every category he has ever raced in, and is well on his way to win another. But this is McLaren.

Scuderia Toro Rosso - Pierre Gasly & Lando Norris
Gasly seems to have impressed everybody in his time with Toro Rosso, and has gained a reputation as something of a Honda whisperer. Meanwhile, Lando Norris is about to win another title, and is rumoured to have a clause to his contract which demands a race seat in such a situation. Through their own questionable planning, McLaren won't have one, and through their questionable planning, McLaren will.

Alfa Romeo Sauber - Marcus Ericsson & Antonio Giovinazzi
Marcus Ericsson has done a reasonable job for Sauber this year, although his difference to Leclerc in qualifying is huge, it is arguably still better than most expected. Unfortunately for Sauber, Leclerc will have moved on to bigger and better things next year, so a young and exciting Italian driver would be the perfect fit for Alfa.

Williams Racing - Sergey Sirotkin & George Russell
Williams are skint. They need Sirotkin's money but they have lost Stroll's, so an engine discount would be quite handy. George Russell is another highly regarded driver off the Mercedes production line, and may well be F1-ready in time for next year. Meanwhile, Minardi would be proud of the number of rookies that Williams have gone through.