Highest Position Championship - Fangio & Senna Cup

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Zenarcher

Re: Highest Position Championship

Post by Zenarcher »

Rob Dylan wrote:Juan Manuel Fangio: 51 races. 50 podiums. That's quite good.

It's a pretty unbelievable stat even if you take out where he started in the race and made him race at least 1 lap before it counted he would still have lapped in the top 3 50 times.

1981 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

We saw a change in the championship leaders from time to time it was first Carlos Reutemann then mostly Nelson Piquet but last years winner Alan Jones was always closeby and for the first time ever we have a tie in the drivers champion it has been awarded to Alan Jones since he has 1 more win than Nelson Piquet. A driver who stood out was Alain Prost his second half of the season was amazing winning 7 of the final 8 races.

Today we have three different drivers to highlight as their careers come to an end,

Emerson Fittipaldi

Races 144
Wins 19
Podiums 51
Pole positions 6
Fastest laps 6
Championships 1

Jody Scheckter

Races 112
Wins 23
Podiums 64
Pole positions 3
Fastest laps 5
Championships 0

Clay Regazzoni

Races 132
Wins 17
Podiums 67
Pole positions 5
Fastest laps 15
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Alan Jones - Points 97 - Wins 8
2. Nelson Piquet - Points 97 - Wins 7
3. Carlos Reutemann - Points 88 - Wins 4
4. Alain Prost - Points 83 - Wins 7
5. Jacques Laffite - Points 62 - Wins 3
6. Gilles Villeneuve - Points 58 - Wins 4
7. René Arnoux - Points 55 - Wins 4
8. Didier Pironi - Points 50 - Wins 2
9. John Watson - Points 41 - Wins 1
10. Riccardo Patrese - Points 32 - Wins 1

Constructors

Williams-Ford secured their second championship.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1982 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

1982 saw the deaths of Riccardo Paletti and our 1979 champion Gilles Villeneuve who was 3rd in the championship at the time of his death. Didier Pironi who was a contender for this year's championship and was in 3rd place after 11 races had a horrific accident during qualifying for the German Grand Prix it would be the end of his F1 career. The race at San Marino was boycotted by several teams and we also had a number of disqualifications this year which all made an impact on the championship standings. But eventually, it became clear that it would be either René Arnoux or Alain Prost who would win this year it was closely fought between the two drivers and with just a 5 point difference and also 2 more wins this year's champion is René Arnoux.

Today's driver highlight goes to Gilles Villeneuve,

Races 67
Wins 18
Podiums 30
Pole positions 2
Fastest laps 8
Championships 1

Top 10

1. René Arnoux - Points 116 - Wins 11
2. Alain Prost - Points 111 - Wins 9
3. Nelson Piquet - Points 72 - Wins 5
4. Riccardo Patrese - Points 69 - Wins 3
5. Keke Rosberg - Points 68 - Wins 4
6. Didier Pironi - Points 59 - Wins 4
7. John Watson - Points 49 - Wins 2
8. Andrea de Cesaris - Points - 41 - Wins 1
9. Niki Lauda - Points 37 - Wins 2
10. Michele Alboreto - Points 33 - Wins 1

Constructors

Renault wins their first-ever constructors championship it was completely dominated by the team they won at 14 of the 16 races.

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Wow, I knew Renault would be strong but they absolutely crushed the opposition in 1982 :o
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CarloSpace wrote:Wow, I knew Renault would be strong but they absolutely crushed the opposition in 1982 :o

It just emphasises that that statement by Ron Dennis was the smartest thing he ever said in his entire life.
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

CarloSpace wrote:Wow, I knew Renault would be strong but they absolutely crushed the opposition in 1982 :o

Yeah their qualifying pace was pretty good they got 10 pole positions compared to Ferrari who managed 3 and Alfa Romeo, Williams and Brabham all got 1. But even if you didn't count the first lap from where they started in qualifying Arnoux would still have won 10 times instead of 11 and Prost 7 instead of 9.

1983 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

At the start, it was close between Alain Prost and Patrick Tambay. Last years winner René Arnoux had a slightly poorer start to the rest of the front runners but improved halfway through the season. Nelson Piquet was also in the running for the championship and as we entered the final half of the season he went on to win 7 races in a row to win his first drivers championship. Patrick Tambay came second and was the only driver this year to finish on the podium at every race.

Today's driver highlight goes to Carlos Reutemann,

Races 146
Wins 21
Podiums 68
Pole positions 6
Fastest laps 6
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Nelson Piquet - Points 115 - Wins 11
2. Patrick Tambay - Points 103 - Wins 7
3. René Arnoux - Points 93 - Wins 7
4. Alain Prost - Points 86 - Wins 5
5. Riccardo Patrese - Points 81 - Wins 5
6. Eddie Cheever - Points 49
7. Andrea de Cesaris - Points 41 - Wins 1
8. Keke Rosberg - Points 35 - Wins 1
9. John Watson - Points 29 - Wins 1
10. Elio de Angelis - Points 28 - Wins 1

Constructors

Its another tie which appears to happen often this time both Brabham-BMW and Ferrari tie on 196 points each but Brabham-BMW wins this years constructor championship as they have 16 wins while Ferrari has 14. This is Brabhams 3rd constructors title and their first since 1967.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I was hoping one of the Ferrari drivers would win 1983 - sadly not to be. I usually predict winners for these alternative championships before we see the results, but instead I'll just cite from 1984 onwards any possible changes to the real champion:

1984: I think it will be Prost v Piquet (who was king of qualifying). Lauda had to come from behind too much.
1985: I imagine that being Senna v Rosberg - again Prost came from behind a lot.
1986: Probably a shootout between Mansell and Piquet. Think Mansell might just edge it.
1987: Would have had Mansell down as champion without missing the last 2 races - as it is, I think Senna becomes Piquet's main challenger

1989: Must be Senna

1994: With Schumacher missing 2 races and being DQ'd from 2 others, surely that's Hill's championship

2000: Reckon Hakkinen could just overturn it.

2005: Surely that's Kimi's?

2007: Any of the McLaren or Ferrari drivers could get that?

2009: Vettel will overturn Button
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

James1978 wrote:I was hoping one of the Ferrari drivers would win 1983 - sadly not to be. I usually predict winners for these alternative championships before we see the results, but instead I'll just cite from 1984 onwards any possible changes to the real champion:

1984: I think it will be Prost v Piquet (who was king of qualifying). Lauda had to come from behind too much.
1985: I imagine that being Senna v Rosberg - again Prost came from behind a lot.
1986: Probably a shootout between Mansell and Piquet. Think Mansell might just edge it.
1987: Would have had Mansell down as champion without missing the last 2 races - as it is, I think Senna becomes Piquet's main challenger

1989: Must be Senna

1994: With Schumacher missing 2 races and being DQ'd from 2 others, surely that's Hill's championship

2000: Reckon Hakkinen could just overturn it.

2005: Surely that's Kimi's?

2007: Any of the McLaren or Ferrari drivers could get that?

2009: Vettel will overturn Button

A good set of predictions there I'm looking forward to all of the close seasons where anyone could win it I think 2012 might be an interesting one as we had 7 different winners in the first 7 races and I'm sure in this championship there will be more than that.

1984 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

For the first half of the season it was mainly Alain Prost and Niki Lauda ahead but Nelson Piquet was never too far behind his 2 non point finishes in Brazil and Monaco cost him a lot but he eventually caught up with Niki Lauda and overtook him in the points and just like last year Nelson Piquet had a very strong second half winning 8 of the final 9 races however it was not enough as Alain Prost was by this point comfortably ahead and wins this year's drivers championship.

Today's driver highlight is our 1978 champion, Mario Andretti,

Races 128
Wins 27
Podiums 40
Pole positions 18
Fastest laps 10
Championships 1

Top 10

1. Alain Prost - Points 122 - Wins 10
2. Nelson Piquet - Points 108 - Wins 11
3. Niki Lauda - Points 97 - Wins 6
4. Elio de Angelis - Points 72 - Wins 2
5. Keke Rosberg - Points 68 - Wins 3
6. Derek Warwick - Points 68 - Wins 1
7. Michele Alboreto - Points 61 - Wins 2
8. Nigel Mansell - Points 55 - Wins 2
9. Patrick Tambay - Points 50 - Wins 2
10. René Arnoux - Points 38

Due to the Tyrrell team being disqualified for a technical infringement I made this to show what their driver's results would be if they weren't. They would have 18 points in the constructor's championship making them 9th just behind Alfa Romeo.

Constructors

McLaren-TAG dominated this year and won their 3rd constructors championship the teams first since 1977.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1985 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

Michele Alboreto and Alain Prost both had a good start to the year but fell back a bit later as Keke Rosberg rose up through the points but this year's winner goes to Ayrton Senna who was the clear favourite early on leading the championship from the second race onwards and he was the only one to get a podium finish at every race.

A different kind of driver highlight today it's just a reminder of all of our champions so far and how many driver titles and races they have won,

(Drivers in bold are still racing)

Juan Manuel Fangio 6 - Wins 44
Jim Clark 5 - Wins 48
Jack Brabham 3 - Wins 32
Jackie Stewart 2 - Wins 53
Niki Lauda 2 - Wins 49
James Hunt 2 - Wins 27
Alan Jones 2 - Wins 24
Alberto Ascari 2 - Wins 22
Nelson Piquet 1 - Wins 40
Alain Prost 1 - Wins 40
Graham Hill 1 - Wins 35
Stirling Moss 1 - Wins 33
Ronnie Peterson 1 - Wins 30
René Arnoux 1 - Wins 29
Mario Andretti 1 - Wins 27
Jacky Ickx 1 - Wins 22
Emerson Fittipaldi 1 - Wins 19
Gilles Villeneuve 1 - Wins 18
Phil Hill 1 - Wins 12
Ayrton Senna 1 - Wins 10

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 124 - Wins 10
2. Keke Rosberg - Points 113 - Wins 9
3. Alain Prost - Points 102 - Wins 7
4. Michele Alboreto - Points 82 - Wins 4
5. Elio de Angelis - Points 78 - Wins 3
6. Nigel Mansell - Points 71 - Wins 2
7. Niki Lauda - Points 57 - Wins 3
8. Nelson Piquet - Points 55 - Wins 2
9. Stefan Johansson - Points 46 - Wins 1
10. Marc Surer - Points 22

Constructors

Lotus-Renault won just ahead of Williams-Honda. This is Lotus's 7th constructor's title the most we've had from any team so far and it was the team's first championship since 1978.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1986 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

This was one of the closest seasons we've had so far with the top 5 regularly winning races. Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet were the three who were all close to leading the championship but from race number 1 right up to Austria Ayrton Senna was leading the championship then in Italy Nigel Mansell took over and in the next race at Portugal he was just one point ahead of Ayrton Senna but Ayrton Senna took the lead back in Mexico and was now four points ahead then in the final race Ayrton Senna managed to secure his second drivers championship by just one point. Alain Prost was someone earlier on who looked good on winning this year but even if he wasn't disqualified in Italy it still wouldn't have been enough for him to win this year. Also, Ayrton Senna massively outscored his teammate Johnny Dumfries in points Senna 117 - Dumfries 11.

Unfortunately, 1986 was the year that saw Elio de Angelis die after an accident while testing at the Paul Ricard circuit in France. He is today's driver highlight,

Races 108
Wins 7
Podiums 29
Pole positions 3
Fastest laps 0
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 117 - Wins 11
2. Nigel Mansell - Points 116 - Wins 10
3. Nelson Piquet - Points 114 - Wins 10
4. Alain Prost - Points 108 - Wins 8
5. Keke Rosberg - Points 71 - Wins 4
6. Gerhard Berger - Points 67 - Wins 3
7. René Arnoux - Points 47 - Wins 1
8. Michele Alboreto - Points 40
9. Stefan Johansson - Points 37 - Wins 1
10. Teo Fabi - Points 26 - Wins 2

Constructors

Williams-Honda won their third constructors title this year followed by McLaren-TAG amazingly both of these teams saw neither of their drivers win the championship it was Lotus-Renault down in third place.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1987 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

Nigel Mansell completely dominated this year so much that even though he missed the last 2 races he still won his first drivers championship. Even if his teammate Nelson Piquet won the final 2 races instead of coming 2nd he would have been tied in the points but Nigel Mansell would have still won with having more race wins overall.

Today's driver highlight goes to both Niki Lauda and Alan Jones who managed 2 driver championships each,

Niki Lauda

Races 171
Wins 49
Podiums 97
Pole positions 24
Fastest laps 24
Championships 2

Alan Jones

Races 116
Wins 25
Podiums 42
Pole positions 6
Fastest laps 13
Championships 2

Top 10

1. Nigel Mansell - Points 123 - Wins 13
2. Nelson Piquet - Points 117 - Wins 9
3. Ayrton Senna - Points 101 - Wins 7
4. Alain Prost - Points 92 - Wins 4
5. Gerhard Berger - Points 72 - Wins 4
6. Michele Alboreto - Points 69 - Wins 2
7. Thierry Boutsen - Points 61 - Wins 1
8. Stefan Johansson - Points 39
9. Teo Fabi - Points 36
10. Riccardo Patrese - Points 21

Constructors

It's no real surprise to see Williams-Honda win this year a whole 102 points ahead of Ferrari in second.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1988 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

Ayrton Senna absolutely dominated this year apart from his disqualification in the first race he went on to win every single race of the season. Alain Prost did lead the championship up until France thanks to Ayrton Senna's disqualification which gave him an early lead but from there Ayrton Senna took over the championship lead in Britain and eventually secured his third driver's championship. McLaren-Honda's drivers dominated so much this season that only two other drivers won a race those being Gerhard Berger and Ivan Capelli.

A few drivers highlight today as their careers come to an end,

Keke Rosberg

Races 114
Wins 21
Podiums 42
Pole positions 5
Fastest laps 3
Championships 0

Patrick Tambay

Races 114
Wins 11
Podiums 30
Pole positions 5
Fastest laps 2
Championships 0

Jacques Laffite

Races 176
Wins 17
Podiums 53
Pole positions 7
Fastest laps 7
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 135 - Wins 15
2. Alain Prost - Points 123 - Wins 10
3. Gerhard Berger - Points 85 - Wins 3
4. Michele Alboreto - Points 47
5. Nigel Mansell - Points 43
6. Thierry Boutsen - Points 38
7. Ivan Capelli - Points 36 - Wins 1
8. Nelson Piquet - Points 34
9. Alessandro Nannini - Points 30
10. Riccardo Patrese - Points 24

Constructors

McLaren-Honda completely dominated this year they finished a whole 126 points ahead of Ferrari in second place.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Hmm - only just realised that the grid actually counted in this (i.e. a driver in pole position would win even they don't complete a lap) - wonder if it makes a difference to any champions if you had to complete a lap to be classified?

(Only knew for sure this was happening as I know Prost qualified 4th at Silverstone 1988 only to drop right back straight away - I reckoned he wouldn't score points at all there).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

James1978 wrote:Hmm - only just realised that the grid actually counted in this (i.e. a driver in pole position would win even they don't complete a lap) - wonder if it makes a difference to any champions if you had to complete a lap to be classified?

(Only knew for sure this was happening as I know Prost qualified 4th at Silverstone 1988 only to drop right back straight away - I reckoned he wouldn't score points at all there).

That, and many first lap retirees would not be classified.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I've really enjoyed seeing Andrea de Cesaris show up in the championship top 10 a couple of times. I maintain he could have won the title in 1982 with a bit more luck and composure.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tommykl wrote:I've really enjoyed seeing Andrea de Cesaris show up in the championship top 10 a couple of times. I maintain he could have won the title in 1982 with a bit more luck and composure.

I fear using "a bit more composure" to describe how early-80s de Cesaris could've fared better is like saying Pluto would be a grand place to live if it was a bit warmer.
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

James1978 wrote:Hmm - only just realised that the grid actually counted in this (i.e. a driver in pole position would win even they don't complete a lap) - wonder if it makes a difference to any champions if you had to complete a lap to be classified?

Ah, I thought I made that clear at the start of the topic when I said that no driver can retire from a race and will always finish somewhere perhaps I could've have worded it a bit better to say that even where they qualify will be their finishing position if they fail to complete the first lap however all drivers must at least start the race to be counted and drivers also can't score any points when they get disqualified. Making the drivers complete at least 1 lap is something I can work out later once I'm finished doing it this way :)

1989 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

It was another season of Prost vs Senna and once again it was Senna who managed to win the championship and a whole 17 points ahead of Prost even though Senna was disqualified from one race which makes his point lead even more impressive. Ayrton Senna is now a 4-time world champion he needs one more to match Jim Clarks 5 and two more to reach Fangios 6 titles.

Today's driver highlight goes to René Arnoux our 1982 champion,

Races 149
Wins 30
Podiums 55
Pole positions 18
Fastest laps 12
Championships 1

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 132 - Wins 14
2. Alain Prost - Points 115 - Wins 8
3. Riccardo Patrese - Points 78 - Wins 3
4. Nigel Mansell - Points 69 - Wins 2
5. Gerhard Berger - Points 68 - Wins 1
6. Thierry Boutsen - Points 61 - Wins 2
7. Alessandro Nannini - Points 48 - Wins 1
8. Pierluigi Martini - Points 20 - Wins 1
9. Derek Warwick - Points 19 - Wins 1
10. Alex Caffi - Points 17

Constructors

McLaren-Honda wins another championship comfortably ahead of any other team. Amazingly despite there being 19 teams 17 of them managed to score points and that's when only the top 6 are awarded points.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1990 Season - Points Used 9–6–4–3–2–1

Ayrton Senna dominated once again this time winning all but one race and finished comfortably ahead of his teammate Gerhard Berger. This now means Ayrton Senna has 5 driver championships to his name equaling Jim Clark and now just one behind Juan Manuel Fangio.

A different type of highlight today showing how many wins some drivers have so far. (Drivers in bold are still racing),

Alain Prost 75
Ayrton Senna 71
Nelson Piquet 62
Jackie Stewart 53
Niki Lauda 49
Jim Clark 48
Juan Manuel Fangio 44
Graham Hill 35
Stirling Moss 33
Nigel Mansell 33
Jack Brabham 32
Ronnie Peterson 30
René Arnoux 30
James Hunt 27
Mario Andretti 27
Alan Jones 25
Jody Scheckter 23
Alberto Ascari 22
Jacky Ickx 22
Keke Rosberg 21
Carlos Reutemann 21
Emerson Fittipaldi 19
Gilles Villeneuve 18
Clay Regazzoni 17
Jacques Laffite 17
Phill Hill 12
Patrick Tambay 11

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 141 - Wins 15
2. Gerhard Berger - Points 119 - Wins 9
3. Alain Prost - Points 95 - Wins 5
4. Nigel Mansell - Points 83 - Wins 4
5. Nelson Piquet - Points 65 - Wins 3
6. Thierry Boutsen - Points 62 - Wins 2
7. Riccardo Patrese - Points 58 - Wins 2
8. Alessandro Nannini - Points 50 - Wins 2
9. Jean Alesi - Points 39 - Wins 1
10. Ivan Capelli - Points 15 - Wins 1

Constructors

It's another championship for the team McLaren-Honda. The team now have 6 constructor championships to their name.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

MINARDI WIN A RACE!!!!!!
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

James1978 wrote:MINARDI WIN A RACE!!!!!!

Yep, all thanks to Pierluigi Martini who managed to lead the race for just one lap on lap 40 of the Portuguese Grand Prix.

1991 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

It was a bit closer this time with Ayrton Senna, Riccardo Patrese and Nigel Mansell all leading the championship at some point during the season. Ayrton Senna went on to win his 6th championship he's now equal with Fangio in having more championships than any other driver. In Portugal, Nigel Mansell was disqualified for an illegal pit stop however even if he won that race he would still have been 7 points behind Senna so it didn't cost him the championship.

Today's driver highlight is Nelson Piquet our 1983 champion,

Races 204
Wins 64
Podiums 118
Pole positions 24
Fastest laps 23
Championships 1

Top 10

1. Ayrton Senna - Points 132 - Wins 10
2. Riccardo Patrese - Points 119 - Wins 8
3. Nigel Mansell - Points 115 - Wins 8
4. Gerhard Berger - Points 76 - Wins 2
5. Jean Alesi - Points 69 - Wins 2
6. Alain Prost - Points 64 - Wins 1
7. Nelson Piquet - Points 48 - Wins 2
8. Stefano Modena - Points 25
9. Roberto Moreno - Points 21
10. Andrea de Cesaris - Points 18

Constructors

Williams won this year just narrowly beating out McLaren. This means now Williams has won it 5 times and for the first time since 1987.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1992 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Nigel Mansell dominated this season winning all but two races he went on to secure his second championship his first since 1987. The only other driver who could really challenge him was his teammate Riccardo Patrese who in the end finished 24 points behind Nigel Mansell.

Top 10

1. Nigel Mansell - Points 152 - Wins 14
2. Riccardo Patrese - Points 128 - Wins 8
3. Ayrton Senna - Points 102 - Wins 5
4. Gerhard Berger - Points 71 - Wins 2
5. Michael Schumacher - Points 67 - Wins 1
6. Martin Brundle - Points 56
7. Jean Alesi - Points 44
8. Mika Häkkinen - Points 22
9. Ivan Capelli - Points 13
10. Johnny Herbert - Points 13

Constructors

Williams-Renault claimed their 6th constructor's championship after a dominating display scoring 280 points and having a lead of 107 points over McLaren-Honda in second place.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1993 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

It was another dominating season for Williams-Renault with this time Alain Prost winning his second championship in spectacular fashion by winning all 16 races! How many other drivers have achieved this in the highest position championship so far?

Fangio in 1950, 1951, 1955, 1956.
Ascari in 1953.
Stewart in 1969.

Interestingly there's a big difference between teammates Ayrton Senna and Michael Andretti with a gap of 72 points between them before Michael Andretti left the team and was replaced by Mika Häkkinen who managed to score 12 points in just 3 races compared to Michael Andretti's 14 points in 13 races.

Today's driver highlight goes to Alain Prost,

Races 199
Wins 90
Podiums 163
Pole positions 33
Fastest laps 41
Championships 2

Top 10

1. Alain Prost - Points 160 - Wins 16
2. Damon Hill - Points 132 - Wins 11
3. Ayrton Senna - Points 112 - Wins 6
4. Michael Schumacher - Points 92 - Wins 2
5. Jean Alesi - Points 50 - Wins 1
6. Gerhard Berger - Points 33
7. Riccardo Patrese - Points 32
8. Martin Brundle - Points 24
9. Mark Blundell - Points 19
10. Karl Wendlinger - Points 18

Constructors

Williams-Renault won their 7th championship now tieing them with Lotus as most teams with constructor championships.

How many have the teams won so far?

Lotus - 7
Williams - 7
McLaren - 6
Ferrari - 6
Brabham - 3
Cooper - 2
Matra - 2
Tyrrell - 2
Renault - 1

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1994 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

At the start, both Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher were leading the championship with 30 points each and during the tragic and sad race weekend at San Marino saw the death of both Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger. After Senna's death, Schumacher looked in a strong position to take his first driver's title however being disqualified and banned from races cost him the championship to Damon Hill who managed to take advantage of this and caught up in the points which was enough for him to secure his first championship.

Today's driver highlight goes to Ayrton Senna a driver who managed to win 6 championships and at the time of his death had more race wins than any other driver. Senna and Fangio are tied at the top with 6 championships each no other driver has come close to this only Jim Clark who managed 5 championships.

Races 161
Wins 96
Podiums 143
Pole positions 65
Fastest laps 19
Championships 6

Top 10

1. Damon Hill - Points 124 - Wins 9
2. Michael Schumacher - Points 116 - Wins 11
3. Gerhard Berger - Points 88 - Wins 6
4. Jean Alesi - Points 78 - Wins 2
5. Mika Häkkinen - Points 75 - Wins 3
6. Rubens Barrichello - Points 57 - Wins 2
7. David Coulthard - Points 41 - Wins 3
8. Ayrton Senna - Points 30 - Wins 3
9. Martin Brundle - Points 29
10. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 29

Constructors

Williams won another championship giving them 8 titles more than what any other team has managed so far.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I was wondering about that 1994 Belgian GP - I remember a trivia question in F1 Racing magazine asked what was unique about Hill's victory there and the answer was he never led a lap on the road. So presumably the positions for that race here are net positions when Schumacher is taken out of the equation (same goes for Silverstone too).
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

James1978 wrote:I was wondering about that 1994 Belgian GP - I remember a trivia question in F1 Racing magazine asked what was unique about Hill's victory there and the answer was he never led a lap on the road. So presumably the positions for that race here are net positions when Schumacher is taken out of the equation (same goes for Silverstone too).

Yes, correct when a driver is disqualified they're ignored completely so any driver who was behind them can gain a position.
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1995 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

It was close all season between Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill while David Coulthard wasn't too far behind either in the points as well but it was Michael Schumacher who wins this years championship. Michael Schumacher dominated his teammate Johnny Herbert who only managed to win 4 races compared to Schumacher's 14 and finished 82 points behind Schumacher.

Today we have two driver highlights both Riccardo Patrese and Nigel Mansell,

Riccardo Patrese

Races 256
Wins 31
Podiums 84
Pole positions 8
Fastest laps 13
Championships 0

Nigel Mansell

Races 187
Wins 56
Podiums 115
Pole positions 32
Fastest laps 30
Championships 2

Top 10

1. Michael Schumacher - Points 158 - Wins 14
2. Damon Hill - Points 148 - Wins 12
3. David Coulthard - Points 142 - Wins 11
4. Jean Alesi - Points 109 - Wins 6
5. Gerhard Berger - Points 86 - Wins 3
6. Johnny Herbert - Points 76 - Wins 4
7. Mika Häkkinen - Points 50 - Wins 2
8. Eddie Irvine - Points 43
9. Rubens Barrichello - Points 38 - Wins 1
10. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 31

Constructors

Williams won their 9th constructors title. Both Benetton and Williams were not awarded Constructors' Championship points for their placings in the Brazilian Grand Prix as the cars were deemed to be using illegal fuel. This made no impact on where any team finished, the top three teams remained the same in the championship standings.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1996 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Damon Hill dominated this season winning 15 of the 16 races and finished 27 points ahead of his teammate Jacques Villeneuve. Last years champion Michael Schumacher finished third and 65 points ahead of his teammate Eddie Irvine.

Top 10

1. Damon Hill - Points 156 - Wins 15
2. Jacques Villeneuve - Points 129 - Wins 10
3. Michael Schumacher - Points 102 - Wins 6
4. Jean Alesi - Points 97 - Wins 5
5. Gerhard Berger - Points 63 - Wins 1
6. Mika Häkkinen - Points 62 - Wins 1
7. David Coulthard - Points 50 - Wins 2
8. Eddie Irvine - Points 37
9. Rubens Barrichello - Points 35
10. Martin Brundle - Points 18

Constructors

Williams wins once again now for the 10th time a record they keep on breaking season after season.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1997 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

For most of the season, it was between Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve with Michael Schumacher for most of the time leading the championship. Heinz-Harald Frentzen had a decent start to the season but fell back in the points in the second half and finished 13 points behind his teammate Jacques Villeneuve who bear in mind had one race with no points due to a disqualification in Japan for ignoring yellows flags during practice. Michael Schumacher, in the end, had the most points to win his second championship however he was excluded from the results of the Drivers Championship due to dangerous driving in the European Grand Prix, where he was deemed to have caused an avoidable collision with Jacques Villeneuve who instead wins the drivers championship for this year.

Today's driver highlight is Gerhard Berger,

Races 210
Wins 36
Podiums 117
Pole positions 12
Fastest laps 21
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Jacques Villeneuve - Points 131 - Wins 11
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 118 - Wins 7
3. David Coulthard - Points 83 - Wins 5
4. Mika Häkkinen - Points 78 - Wins 4
5. Jean Alesi - Points 68 - Wins 2
6. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 62 - Wins 1
7. Eddie Irvine - Points 50 - Wins 2
8. Gerhard Berger - Points 39 - Wins 2
9. Ralf Schumacher - Points 31
10. Johnny Herbert - Points 30

Although Schumacher was excluded from the driver's championship he still retained his points and race wins achieved during the 1997 season.

Michael Schumacher - Points 143 - Wins 12

Constructors

Williams secured their 11th constructor's title. Schumacher's exclusion did not affect the results of the Constructors Championship all the points scored still counted.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1998 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Mika Häkkinen and David Coulthard were close in the points, to begin with, but as the season progressed David Coulthard gradually fell further behind his teammate and even Michael Schumacher came close to finishing ahead of David Coulthard. Mika Häkkinen wins this year's championship comfortably ahead of his teammate by 28 points.

Top 10

1. Mika Häkkinen - Points 152 - Wins 14
2. David Coulthard - Points 124 - Wins 8
3. Michael Schumacher - Points 122 - Wins 9
4. Eddie Irvine - Points 75 - Wins 1
5. Jacques Villeneuve - Points 60
6. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 46 - Wins 2
7. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 36
8. Damon Hill - Points 31 - Wins 1
9. Alexander Wurz - Points 31
10. Jean Alesi - Points 31

Constructors

McLaren won their first championship since 1990 putting an end to 7 years of Williams winning.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

1999 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Up until just before the British Grand Prix when Michael Schumacher suffered a broken leg the championship standings looked like this,

1. Mika Häkkinen 70 points
2. Michael Schumacher 58 points
3. David Coulthard 52 points
4. Eddie Irvine 38 points
5. Heinz-Harald Frentzen 34 points

With Schumacher now out of this year's title hunt, Häkkinen cruised his way to secure his second championship and even his teammate Coulthard couldn't do anything about it finishing 24 points behind this time.

Top 10

1. Mika Häkkinen - Points 142 - Wins 14
2. David Coulthard - Points 118 - Wins 7
3. Eddie Irvine - Points 101 - Wins 6
4. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 86 - Wins 4
5. Michael Schumacher - Points 78 - Wins 7
6. Rubens Barrichello - Points 58 - Wins 2
7. Ralf Schumacher - Points 54 - Wins 1
8. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 34 - Wins 1
9. Johnny Herbert - Points 28 - Wins 1
10. Mika Salo - Points 24 - Wins 2

Constructors

McLaren-Mercedes successfully defended their constructor's championship.

As promised earlier I've made a new picture with all of the highest position champions so far and their stats I've left out those who are still racing I'll make a new one once we get to the year 2019.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2000 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

We've made it to the 21st century now in Formula One. The year 2000 saw Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard and Barrichello being the four main contenders for this year's highest position championship. It was mainly close between Schumacher and Hakkinen with Coulthard's disqualification in Brazil hurting his title chances early on. In the end, despite Hakkinen catching up in the final few races to Schumacher it wasn't enough for Hakkinen to claim his third title. Michael Schumacher wins this year which makes him now a 2 time highest position champion.

Today's driver highlight goes to Damon Hill,

Races 115
Wins 50
Podiums 66
Pole positions 20
Fastest laps 19
Championships 2

Top 10

1. Michael Schumacher - Points 159 - Wins 15
2. Mika Häkkinen - Points 146 - Wins 12
3. David Coulthard - Points 130 - Wins 10
4. Rubens Barrichello - Points 118 - Wins 7
5. Ralf Schumacher - Points 56
6. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 51 - Wins 2
7. Jacques Villeneuve - Points 43
8. Jarno Trulli - Points 36
9. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 29
10. Jenson Button - Points 29

Constructors

Ferrari just narrowly managed to beat McLaren-Mercedes to the championship by just 1 point. This is also Ferrari's first championship since 1979!

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2001 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Michael Schumacher claimed his 3rd championship and finished 33 points ahead of David Coulthard who finished in second place and 43 points ahead of his teammate Rubens Barrichello.

Today's driver highlight goes to Mika Häkkinen,

Races 161
Wins 53
Podiums 100
Pole positions 26
Fastest laps 25
Championships 2

Top 10

1. Michael Schumacher - Points 153 - Wins 14
2. David Coulthard - Points 120 - Wins 8
3. Juan Pablo Montoya - Points 117 - Wins 10
4. Ralf Schumacher - Points 110 - Wins 6
5. Rubens Barrichello - Points 109 - Wins 5
6. Mika Häkkinen - Points 78 - Wins 3
7. Jarno Trulli - Points 45 - Wins 1
8. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Points 21
9. Jacques Villeneuve - Points 20
10. Olivier Panis - Points 18

Constructors

Ferrari secured another championship while we saw McLaren drop further back and Williams improving enough to finish 2nd overall.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2002 Season - Points Used 10–6–4–3–2–1

Michael Schumacher won another championship putting his total number up to 4 he's now just 1 behind Jim Clark and 2 away from Fangio and Senna. As you would expect 2002 saw Schumacher dominate with only his teammate Barrichello getting close to him in the points and even then still finished 26 points behind.

Today's driver highlight goes to Eddie Irvine,

Races 146
Wins 9
Podiums 48
Pole positions 0
Fastest laps 1
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Michael Schumacher - Points 158 - Wins 14
2. Rubens Barrichello - Points 132 - Wins 12
3. Juan Pablo Montoya - Points 124 - Wins 9
4. Ralf Schumacher - Points 106 - Wins 5
5. David Coulthard - Points 80 - Wins 3
6. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 68 - Wins 1
7. Jarno Trulli - Points 34
8. Jenson Button - Points 30
9. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 18
10. Nick Heidfeld - Points 17

Constructors

Ferrari wins once again while Williams stays second and McLaren 3rd. Despite the Arrows team collapsing during the season they still managed to outscore Minardi by 1 point.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Minardi scored ALL of their points in the first race of the year?! Wow...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

dr-baker wrote:Minardi scored ALL of their points in the first race of the year?! Wow...

Yeah and only because 8 cars finished that race and 8 cars were taken out on the opening lap.

2003 Season - Points Used 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Raikkonen led the championship for the first 5 races of the season but starting last on the grid in Spain and crashing into another car immediately opened up the championship completely and now Barrichello took the lead for a short time until Michael Schumacher took over the lead in Canada from there the championship remained very close into the second half of the season with Michael Schumacher, Raikkonen, Montoya, Barrichello and Ralf Schumacher all were just a few points apart from each other and by Hungary, 3 points separated the top 4 in the championship.

Onto the final race at Japan Michael Schumacher was leading the championship with both Raikkonen and Montoya very close behind and with Michael Schumacher's 6th place in the final race it cost him the championship he moved down to third while Montoya and Raikkonen managed to win the race which in the end meant Raikkonen won his first drivers title by just 1 point over Montoya. It was a very entertaining season with 5 different drivers capable of winning the title.

The USA race was also entertaining with 6 winners, 7-second places and 1 third only 6 drivers didn't manage to drive into the top 3 at some point during the race.

Top 10

1. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 132 - Wins 11
2. Juan Pablo Montoya - Points 131 - Wins 7
3. Michael Schumacher - Points 128 - Wins 8
4. Rubens Barrichello - Points 126 - Wins 7
5. Fernando Alonso - Points 114 - Wins 5
6. David Coulthard - Points 113 - Wins 4
7. Ralf Schumacher - Points 112 - Wins 5
8. Jarno Trulli - Points 89 - Wins 2
9. Jenson Button - Points 63 - Wins 2
10. Mark Webber - Points 61 - Wins 1

Constructors

Despite Ferrari narrowly losing out on the driver's championship they won the constructors this year.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2004 Season - Points Used 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Michael Schumacher dominated this season completely with 16 wins out of the 18 races he now has 5 driver titles to his name putting him on the same number as Jim Clark but he's still one title away from matching Fangio and Senna.

Today's driver highlight goes to Heinz-Harald Frentzen,

Races 156
Wins 14
Podiums 45
Pole positions 2
Fastest laps 6
Championships 0

Top 10

1. Michael Schumacher - Points 168 - Wins 16
2. Rubens Barrichello - Points 140 - Wins 8
3. Jenson Button - Points 137 - Wins 5
4. Fernando Alonso - Points 129 - Wins 8
5. Jarno Trulli - Points 110 - Wins 3
6. Juan Pablo Montoya - Points 104 - Wins 3
7. Takuma Sato - Points 97 - Wins 1
8. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 93 - Wins 4
9. Mark Webber - Points 69
10. David Coulthard - Points 63

Constructors

Ferrari has now won 5 titles in a row since the year 2000 and this has been their most dominating display yet. This year both BAR-Honda and Renault improved moving up to 2nd and 3rd while Williams and McLaren have fallen down to 4th and 5th.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2005 Season - Points Used 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Fernando Alonso led the championship for most of the season right up until Brazil then Kimi Räikkönen took over into first place and by the final race, they drew in the same number of points each and since Kimi Räikkönen has 1 more win than Fernando Alonso he has now won his second drivers title.

An update on how many wins drivers have won in this highest championship so far I've only included those with at least 20 wins. (Drivers in bold are still racing).

Michael Schumacher 133
Ayrton Senna 96
Alain Prost 90
Nelson Piquet 64
David Coulthard 63
Nigel Mansell 56
Jackie Stewart 53
Mika Häkkinen 53
Damon Hill 50
Niki Lauda 49
Jim Clark 48
Rubens Barrichello 46
Juan Manuel Fangio 44
Gerhard Berger 36
Graham Hill 35
Juan Pablo Montoya 34
Stirling Moss 33
Jack Brabham 32
Riccardo Patrese 31
Ronnie Peterson 30
René Arnoux 30
Kimi Räikkönen 28
James Hunt 27
Mario Andretti 27
Alan Jones 25
Jody Scheckter 23
Alberto Ascari 22
Jacky Ickx 22
Keke Rosberg 21
Carlos Reutemann 21
Jacques Villeneuve 21

Top 10

1. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 159 - Wins 12
2. Fernando Alonso - Points 159 - Wins 11
3. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 115 - Wins 5
4. Michael Schumacher - Points 110 - Wins 4
5. Juan Pablo Montoya - Points 107 - Wins 5
6. Jarno Trulli - Points 98 - Wins 2
7. Jenson Button - Points 87 - Wins 2
8. Rubens Barrichello - Points 79 - Wins 2
9. Ralf Schumacher - Points 75 - Wins 1
10. Mark Webber - Points 75

Constructors

McLaren-Mercedes just managed to take this year's championship by 4 points ahead of Renault while Ferrari who had been dominating the past few years slipped down to 3rd place and nearly an entire 100 points behind the two top teams.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Absolutely gutted for Montoya not winning 2003 now. He always comes so close in all these fantasy threads!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Absolutely gutted for Montoya not winning 2003 now. He always comes so close in all these fantasy threads!

Joint champion in 2004 in anti-clockwise championship, outright champion in 2002 in car numbers championship. He sometimes pulls it off!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

Rob Dylan wrote:Absolutely gutted for Montoya not winning 2003 now. He always comes so close in all these fantasy threads!

Yeah, he was so close to winning it just beaten by 1 point.

2006 Season - Points Used 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

This year it was mainly down to Fernando Alonso vs Michael Schumacher no one else really came close to these two during the title hunt. But it was Fernando Alonso who managed to win this year he managed to lead the championship for the whole season.

Two drivers in today's highlight first Jacques Villeneuve,

Races 163
Wins 21
Podiums 51
Pole positions 13
Fastest laps 9
Championships 1

and second Juan Pablo Montoya,

Races 94
Wins 36
Podiums 69
Pole positions 13
Fastest laps 12
Championships 0

So that means in Montoya's whole F1 career he was classed first at some point during a race 38% of the time and in the top 3 73% of the time pretty impressive.

Top 10

1. Fernando Alonso - Points 169 - Wins 15
2. Michael Schumacher - Points 153 - Wins 11
3. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 126 - Wins 6
4. Felipe Massa - Points 124 - Wins 4
5. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 114 - Wins 4
6. Jenson Button - Points 106 - Wins 4
7. Rubens Barrichello - Points 69
8. Nick Heidfeld - Points 68
9. Jarno Trulli - Points 58 - Wins 1
10. Mark Webber - Points 57 - Wins 2

Interesting notes Franck Montagny who replaced Yuji Ide never managed to beat Ide's best result of 13th and Robert Kubica won his 3rd race into his career.

Constructors

Renault won their first championship since 1982 while Ferrari came second just 6 points behind.

Zenarcher

Post by Zenarcher »

2007 Season - Points Used 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Another close championship battle this time between Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen however sometimes Massa and even Heidfeld were actually not far off the championship leader in fact for a few races Heidfeld was ahead of Raikkonen and 3rd in the championship. This year's overall winner goes to Lewis Hamilton an amazing first season in Formula One from the rookie driver I wonder how many more he will go onto win?

Oh yes, how can I forget Markus Winkelhock's win at the European Grand Prix was one of the highlights of the season.

Top 10

1. Lewis Hamilton - Points 153 - Wins 12
2. Fernando Alonso - Points 147 - Wins 9
3. Kimi Räikkönen - Points 144 - Wins 10
4. Felipe Massa - Points 125 - Wins 9
5. Nick Heidfeld - Points 116 - Wins 2
6. Robert Kubica - Points 89 - Wins 1
7. Heikki Kovalainen - Points 71 - Wins 3
8. Mark Webber - Points 60 - Wins 1
9. Nico Rosberg - Points 52
10. Giancarlo Fisichella - Points 49 - Wins 1

Constructors

McLaren could've of won this one easily with 300 points 31 ahead of Ferrari but they are excluded for this years results with the whole Spygate thing going on so this year's winners instead are Ferrari.