The Virtual Career of Nathan van Dijk

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
tBone

Re: The Virtual Career of Nathan van Dijk

Post by tBone »

Badoer out for a While - Who Will Drive the Prost?
Posted Tuesday 1st April, 1997

In a press release, Prost Grand Prix confirmed that its second driver Luca Badoer has gotten injured in his crash at the Brazilian Grand Prix. Badoer has two broken vertebrae and he will probably take several months to recover. Prost has not yet confirmed who will be the Italian's replacement for those months, which has sparked some speculation.Emmanuel Collard is Prost's test driver and he has prior experience in racing in F1. That makes him the obvious choice for the job, but there has to be a reason why Prost has not announced him right away.

It may be the case that Alain Prost is not that impressed with his compatriot, who had already been signed before the team was bought by the quadruple world champion. Some sources suggest that Prost has actually an eye on Minardi's talented rookie Jarno Trulli, but Minardi will need to receive some compensation if Trulli is poached from them. Another candidate whose name is whispered here and there, is Vincenzo Sospiri. The Italian is without a job since the Lola adventure miserably failed, but he is an F3000 champion who proved his worth in junior categories.

Potential sponsorships could also be a reason for the French team to look beyond Collard. Mugen is probably in favour of temporarily employing a Japanese driver like elite Formula Nippon contenders Naoki Hattori - who accumulated some F1 mileage in Dome's prototype last year - or Katsutomo Kaneishi. Ricardo Rosset is another candidate with a very healty sponsor budget, but Jordan test driver Pedro de la Rosa is also a possibility. His personal sponsor Repsol may be willing to compensate the fee that Prost will need to pay to release him from his Jordan contract.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Nathan's Notes: Brazilian GP
Posted Wednesday 2nd April, 1997

Hello fans and great that you are reading another episode of my notes! I do need to warn you - of perhaps you will be relieved - that this episode will be a lot shorter than the last one. That is not because of the worse outcome of my race weekend, but simply because I spent quite some time last time to introduce myself. Having said that, fasten your seatbelts and ride along as I look back at my Brazilian Grand Prix!

On paper, it may seem that my qualifying went in a same way as in Australia. That is not exactly true, because in fact I felt a lot better in the car. Despite that another 14th place was the result, but this time it was partially caused by a bad last flying lap from my side. My first sector was actually really good, but I messed up in the Laranja/Pinheirinho combination. It cost me my last chance to qualify better, but I definitely think I could have matched Gerhard Berger.

After a bit of a disappointment on Saturday, the Sunday could have become another day of redemption. Since the car felt good, I was confident once more and I think I fulfilled that potential in the opening stage of the race. I was once again able to keep up with the guys at the bottom of the top 6 and the gaps fully closed when Mika Hakkinen had some kind of issue. I saw how Gerhard tried to seize the opportunity to gain places, but he tried too much and spun. I did keep my calm and I slowly moved my way up.

Some nice battles followed in the second stint, when I really felt like I had found the car's sweet spot. Firstly I got past Irvine and then Coulthard also was a prey. I can tell you all that it is a really good feeling when you are able to overtake a Ferrari and a McLaren within just a few laps. Less of a good feeling followed shortly after, though. I made a small mistake and ran wide, with Coulthard getting back to 5th again. If that was not upsetting enough, Irvine decided to play bowling a few corners later. I honestly do not understand why he was not given a penalty, because for me it was clear he just braked too late and drove into me.

Anyway, enough complaining for one article. I lost quite a lot of ground after that touche and although I was still faster than Irvine and Coulthard, I ran out of laps to close the gap. In the end, this weekend could have been a very strong one for me, but small mistakes and incidents harmed me a lot. It just shows how small the differences are in Formula 1 and how important every detail can be. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the Argentinean GP and I have quite high hopes to get better results!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Prost: Badoer Back in Four Months, Collard Out, Trulli In
Posted Tuesday 8th April, 1997

As Grand Prix News already announced last week, Prost Grand Prix has been in an urgent search for a driver to replace the injured Luca Badoer. Badoer, as it turns out, has broken two vertebrae and the French team has communicated an estimation of four months before the Italian can get back behind the wheel. That estimation may be pretty inaccurate, though, since Badoer's injuries are rather complex and require a careful and delicate recovery.

Surprisingly, Prost has managed not one, but two driver changes in the past week. A temporary, new second driver has been found with Jarno Trulli. He will not only replace Badoer for multiple races this year, but there is said to be an option in his contract to stay on as a test driver for the remainder of 1997 and get a race seat in 1998 and 1999 as well. The young Italian has driven only two Grands Prix so far, being planted at Minardi by Flavio Briatore. Benetton's team boss has apparently decided that Trulli can grow quicker when he is driving further up the field and even more importantly, he has convinced Alain Prost that it would be a win-win situation.

Trulli's appointment has consequences for Prost's current test driver Emmanuel Collard. After the disappointment that he will not be racing despite having this role, the former Larrousse DAMS driver has decided to leave the team from his home country with immediate effect. Prost may therefore be in deep trouble if something happens to Olivier Panis or Jarno Trulli in the next few months, while Collard will be exploring other options. Some say he has even already started talks to return at Larrousse DAMS, if Hiro Matsushita keeps struggling to qualify.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Argentine GP: Qualifying Hattrick for Villeneuve
Posted Saturday 12th April, 1997

Qualifying for the Argentinean Grand Prix was more tense than the results would make one believe. Although Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher once again made up the front row, it was not until their very last run that they made a big difference to the rest of the field. The Canadian needed an absolutely perfect lap to beat the German's very strong time by mere hundredths of a second. Behind them, Johnny Herbert and Heinz-Harald Frentzen delivered what was expected from them by qualifying on the second row. Olivier Panis looked strong once again, beating Mika Hakkinen narrowly to qualify 5th.

A bit further down, Rubens Barrichello secured the new Stewart team's first top 10 qualifying, beating a disappointing Eddie Irvine, who joined a solid Nathan van Dijk on the sixth row. Jarno Trulli stood out as well: in his first qualifying for Prost he immediately did better than Luca Badoer had done in the first two grands prix of 1997. His replacement at Minardi did a good job as well: Tarso Marques qualified the M197 with plenty of margin and even beat his teammate Ukyo Katayama to start from the twelfth row. Joining Katayama on the last row would be Jos Verstappen, who was almost 0.2 s faster than Shinji Nakano and a further half a second ahead of Hiro Matsushita. The 36-year-old Larrousse DAMS driver missed his third race in a row after another disappointing qualifying.

Last edited by tBone on 11 Feb 2022, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Argentine GP: Villeneuve Back At It
Posted Sunday 13th April, 1997

Michael Schumacher had gotten very close to pole position on Saturday and he made his plans for the Sunday very clear at the start. He got off the line faster than anyone else and took the lead. Jacques Villeneuve did manage to keep 2nd place by defending the inside against his teammate Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Jean Alesi had a good start as well, moving up to 4th, with Johnny Herbert in the other Benetton dropping to 5th. Mika Hakkinen completed the top 6 after the start. The nature of the Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez became unfortunately clear in the first few laps, since no overtaking manoeuvers could be seen in the front of the pack. Nevertheless, lap 7 brought some big drama because Michael Schumacher had to stop his car with a broken gearbox. The double world champion saw yet another chance to win his first race in a Ferrari go to waste. Schumacher's misfortune promoted David Coulthard into the top six, the Scotsman later even moving up to 5th by passing his teammate Hakkinen.

Frentzen, Herbert and Coulthard appeared to be the only front runners on a two stop strategy, resulting in a shake-up of the order halfway through the race. Villeneuve was still leading by a comfortable margin, with Alesi now being his closest chaser, Frentzen having dropped only one position, and Hakkinen, Nathan van Dijk and Herbert completing the top six. Frentzen was on another solid run up until that point, but he went wide and onto the grass in the Confiteria corner, losing a place to Hakkinen in the process. A few laps later, the one-stoppers made their only stops, restoring the order of the Williams cars of Villeneuve and Frentzen in front, followed by the Benettons - although Herbert was now in front of Alesi - and Coulthard and Hakkinen in their McLarens.

Williams would not obtain a maximum score, however. Frentzen suffered a puncture in lap 52, the German not managing to make it back to the pits. Coulthard and Herbert made their second stops not long after their promotions to 4th and 2nd place respectively. Herbert came back onto the track in 4th behind Alesi and Hakkinen, while Coulthard dropped to 6th behind Van Dijk, who drove another quietly impressive race in the Sauber. Hakkinen was in the meantime closing the gap to Alesi and hoping for a chance to snatch 2nd place. The Finn made some valiant efforts, but the Frenchman defended just as well for a long time.

A mere lap and a half before the finish, the Argentine Grand Prix still appeared to have some drama in the barrel. It was Alesi who succumbed to Hakkinen's pressure - or was it a simple loss of concentration? Anyhow, he made a mistake in Cajón in lap 71 and it cost him not one, but two positions. Leader Jacques Villeneuve probably did not even notice this on his way to a dominant win, but 2nd and 3rd place finishers Hakkinen and Herbert benefitted greatly from Alesi's misfortune. Alesi did bring the car home in 4th place to still score some points, followed by Van Dijk in 5th and Coulthard in 6th.

RESULTS

DRIVERS' CHAMPIONSHIP

CONSTRUCTORS' CHAMPIONSHIP
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Nathan's Notes: Argentine GP
Posted Wednesday 16th April, 1997

Dear fans, greetings from Europe! That's right, we're back on our own continent after the races in Australia and South America. So far, I think we can be really happy about our performance. Argentina brought me another points finish and a better qualifying then the first two races. The only downside was that it really should have been a double points finish for the team. Gerhard was also really quick all weekend and in all honesty, I doubt I would have beaten him in the race.

The race itself was pretty uneventful for me, so I cannot tell you too much about it. As a driver, a busy time is lying ahead now, though. Being back in Europe also means more time for testing to upgrade and refine the car. Sauber is not as big and as resourceful as the big teams like Ferrari and Williams, but we are also continously working on improving the car. There are a lot of big brains behind the scenes who have come up with all kinds of new parts and I personally am looking forward to testing them.

After that, an interesting part of the season begins. We will see which cars still had a lot of room for improvement and which teams can keep up in the development race. As I mentioned before, I do not think you should expect Sauber to get ahead of the top teams all of a sudden, but I have good hopes that we can keep up with Prost and the other midfielders. Jordan and Stewart look like the biggest threats for that position. Let's see what Imola brings - I hope more points!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

San Marino GP: Business as Usual in Qualifying?
Posted Saturday 26th April, 1997

Formula 1 is back in Europe and a lot of teams brought car upgrades to the San Marino GP. Visually, the most aggressive development was observed on the Benettons, the Stewarts and the Prosts. The big question before qualifying was whether any of these upgrades could cause an upset in the pecking order.

Despite the hype, Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher once again shared the first row on Sunday's starting grid, with usual suspects Jean Alesi, Mika Hakkinen, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Johnny Herbert completing the top six. The man in 7th was more surprising, though: Rubens Barrichello showed the potential of the Stewart-Ford package - he was only 0.003 seconds off Herbert's time. Right behind him was Ralf Schumacher who had his best qualifying so far by a wide margin. The midfield otherwise did not spring any surprises, while at the back the Japanese duo of Shinji Nakano and Hiro Matsushita failed to make the cut to qualify for the third time in a row.

YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

San Marino GP: Villeneuve Pulls a Gap
Posted Sunday 27th April, 1997

Jacques Villeneuve was on pole position once again, but he was immediately under thread as the lights turned green. Michael Schumacher had an excellent start and went side by side with the Canadian, but Villeneuve's defence in Traguardo was sufficient. Then, Jean Alesi decided to have a look down the inside, but the Frenchman backed out and stayed in 3rd. Mika Hakkinen kept his 4th place, but Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Johnny Herbert were still side by side coming out of Tamburello. Herbert got ahead in the Villeneuve chicane.

The top 6 seemed to settle, although Frentzen kept pressurizing Herbert. The Williams driver got ahead in lap 5, outbraking the Benetton going into Tosa. Herbert was visibly struggling from this point, culminating in a spin in lap 11. The Briton could not get his car out of the gravel anymore and had to retire. Frentzen had meanwhile closed the gap to Hakkinen and attacked him for 4th. The German braked too late, ran wide and dropped a couple of places. Meanwhile at the front, Michael Schumacher was still relatively close to Villeneuve, but an engine failure ended all tifosi hopes of a home win in lap 16.

Running into the first series of pit stops, the points scoring positions were occupied by Villeneuve, Alesi, Hakkinen, Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher - showing that Jordan had done some good homework in the tests before this race - and Gerhard Berger. It looked like all front runners were on a two stop strategy, entering the pitlane for the first time between laps 23 and 30. Frentzen was the big winner during that period: the German moved up to 5th. His compatriot in the Jordan, Ralf Schumacher, was less lucky as he went the opposite way and fell out of the points.

The top six was once again pretty much settled on their way to the second series of pitstops. The only one to whom this did not apply was Jean Alesi. Running in a comfortable second place, the Benetton driver lost control of his car in lap 34 at Traguardo. Like his teammate earlier in the race he spun off track, but Alesi was able to keep going, albeit down in 8th. This promoted Jarno Trulli up into the points in only his second race for the Prost team, although it would be wasted by a very slow stop later on.

As the pit stops were made, no particular changes occured in the running order - apart from Trulli's drop down the order - but Ralf Schumacher kept going and was now in 4th place. Despite having stopped in the same lap as some of the two-stoppers, it turned out the German rookie was on a one stop strategy. He was able to maintain a strong pace and managed his race very well to stay ahead of Frentzen until the end of the race.

Frentzen's teammate once again did not get into any trouble on his way to his third victory of the season. Jacques Villeneuve benefitted from his rivals' misfortunes and increased his championship lead. McLaren had a strong result for the same reason, with Hakkinen and Coulthard completing the podium. Ralf Schumacher scored the first points of his career with a mature drive to finish 4th, while Frentzen disappointingly finished 5th. The top six was completed by Gerhard Berger, who also had not scored any points so far in 1997.

RESULTS

DRIVERS' CHAMPIONSHIP

YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

MasterCard Lola: the Aftermath
Posted Friday 2nd May, 1997

Although we saw their cars only in action for a few dozen laps, MasterCard Lola was possibly the most discussed constructor in the first race weekend of this year. Their severely underdeveloped cars did not even get close to qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix. After that, they disappeared. Will they come back? And how are Ricardo Rosset and Vicenzo Sospiri, the drivers, doing? Grand-Prix-News.com went to investigate!

On the surface, things have been quiet since Lola decided to withdraw from the Brazilian GP; their brightly coloured cars and trucks have not been seen on track or in the paddock and neither have key figures such as Eric Broadley, Al Melling and Chris Saunders. Nevertheless, some sources suggest that Broadley is intending to make a comeback later in this running season, potentially when Al Melling's MCD engine is ready. After all, MCD is claiming to keep developing and even dyno testing their V10. Those engines would not be the only change: MasterCard and Pennzoil have already pulled their sponsorships so the cars would be visually different too.

On the other hand, Lola may be facing the financial consequences of their short adventure. Despite Broadley's denials in public, insiders tell Grand-Prix-News.com that Lola Cars may go into administration due to its current financial situation. Lola Cars is one of the world's biggest race car manufacturers, being the sole manufacturer for F3000 and Indy Lights. They have recently been a major player in IndyCars as well, although a lot of teams there have switched to other chassis. There are rumors about parties from the USA, Italy and Great Britain to take over the struggling business, although the impact on Lola's Formula 1 programme remains to be seen.

Meanwhile Lola's drivers have not driven a single lap since the qualifying session in Australia. Not too much is clear yet about their future, but one can assume that the longer Lola stays in limbo, the more Ricardo Rosset and Vincenzo Sospiri will start talking to other teams. Rosset is said to be in talks with Jordan to take a test driver role, while Sospiri is on the shortlist at both Larrousse DAMS and Dome to replace the drivers who have been struggling to qualify for races: Shinji Nakano and Hiro Matsushita.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Monaco GP: Some Spectacular Drives in Qualifying
Posted Saturday 10th May, 1997

The Saturday afternoon always gives one of the most spectacular qualifyings of the season and the 1997 edition surely did not disappoint. At the front, usual suspects Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher decided who would take the all-important P1 on the grid. Only in his final lap, Villeneuve managed to beat the excellent time set by Schumacher halfway through the session. The Canadian remained an unbeaten qualifier in 1997, now with five consecutive pole positions.

On the rows behind them, some amazing performances stood out. Rubens Barrichello did a marvellous effort and put his Stewart in 3rd place, while Olivier Panis was able to mix with the top teams as well. His Prost would start from 5th on Sunday. The biggest victims of these outstanding performances were Johnny Herbert and David Coulthard, who had to settle for places on the fifth row. Further down, 20th was also a decent result for Tom Kristensen: the best qualifying of his career so far.

The fight for the final places on the grid was closer than ever. Shinji Nakano missed the grid, but for the second time in a row he missed it by less than 0.1 seconds. Hiro Matsushita kept his bad record of failing to qualify for all races in 1997, although he missed the cut by mere tenths of a second. Whether that is enough for Larrousse DAMS to keep him in his seat remains to be seen.

RESULTS
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Post by tBone »

Monaco GP: Tight Battles in Monaco's Tight Streets
Posted Sunday 11th May, 1997

The 55th edition of the Monaco GP got underway without big issues - which is noteworthy in itself with the narrow first corners. Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher both started well, but Rubens Barrichello was less fortunate. The Brazilian had a poor getaway and lost places to Mika Hakkinen and Olivier Panis. Heinz-Harald Frentzen kept his 6th place from qualifying. The field settled soon and overtaking proved difficult as ever, although Panis did a couple of attempts to conquer a spot on the podium, with Barrichello preying on them, never more than 2 seconds away.

Lap 26 was the moment they had been waiting for. Hakkinen and Panis approached Pedro Diniz' DFC to lap him on the main straight. Hakkinen chose the inside line, while Panis stayed on the outside. Diniz visibly hesitated, but decided to move out of the way for Panis, blocking Hakkinen in the process. Both Panis and Barrichello moved up a place, although Hakkinen quickly regained 4th in Sainte Devote on the next lap. A little while later, Barrichello was the first driver to make his stop in the 31st lap.

Pit stops were something Panis did not need to worry about in this race. He made a small mistake and as we know, it only takes a small mistake to end your race in Monaco. Lap 33 was the moment and Anthony Noghes was the place where the Frenchman's podium hopes faded. He ran a little bit wide and although the contact with the wall was not that heavy, it was enough for the Prost to loose a front wheel. David Coulthard moved up into the points as a result, just like Gerhard Berger who saw Barrichello come out of the pits a few seconds behind him. The Brazilian had quickly caught up, but it took a mistake from the experienced Austrian to allow him through and back into the top six.

The running order was shaken up by more pit stops, most notably when Villeneuve briefly lost the lead to Michael Schumacher when the Canadian came in a few laps earlier than the German. Villeneuve decided not to wait, however, and regained 1st place on track by outbraking the Ferrari going into Sainte Devote. Michael Schumacher went into the pits a few laps later and ended up behind Barrichello, who was on a short second stint as part of a two stop strategy. He did stay in front of Giancarlo Fisichella and Nathan van Dijk though, the Italian and the Dutchman also having moved up the field, making the most of fresh tyres on a 2-stopper. Michael Schumacher regained 2nd place in lap 46 by outbraking Barrichello into Sainte Devote. Mere moments later, there was more spectacle on the main straight as Hakkinen suffered a puncture and spun out of the race.

The final series of pit stops was kicked off by Barrichello and Fisichella, both dropping out of the points for a short time. Coulthard was next, but he did not gain anything relative to the Brazilian and the Italian. Van Dijk was the last driver to make his pit stop in lap 53, dropping back to 9th behind Villeneuve, Michael Schumacher, Frentzen, Herbert, Barrichello, Fisichella, Coulthard and Berger. Since they had stopped late and were on fresher Goodyears or Bridgestones, Barrichello, Fisichella, Coulthard and Van Dijk were relatively quick and were looking to increase their points tally for this race.

Increasing a points tally was not going to happen for Villeneuve, though. It was no fault of his own, but the suspension on his Williams failed in lap 55 and the Canadian had to pull over. He had been looking strong to increase his championship lead to immense proportions, but this changed in a whim. Villeneuve was not the only one to retire from this race in the closing stages; Coulthard suffered a very similar fate just two laps later. The McLaren driver slowed down rather abruptly as soon as he noticed something was wrong, which left the just lapped Jos Verstappen unable to avoid him. Verstappen's accident added to a miserable start of the season for Tyrrell, who had never looked even close to being in contention for points up until this point.

Another team which had not scored any points so far, was Stewart Grand Prix. Rubens Barrichello seemed set to change this, however, running in 4th and even catching Benetton's Johnny Herbert at a rapid pace. There was visible disbelief on the Stewart pitwall in lap 59, when a big cloud of smoke signalled the failure of the Ford engine in the back of Barrichello's car. The Brazilian had once again shown very promising pace, but he was yet to finish a race in 1997. Due to other drivers' misfortunes, Berger was now running in 4th. He did have the quicker Fisichella and Van Dijk right behind him, however, and in lap 61 he could no longer hold the Jordan back in the Nouvelle Chicane. Only one lap later Van Dijk also got past, although this looked like it may have been a team order, Van Dijk being significantly quicker and on fresher tyres.

Van Dijk quickly got on the back of Fisichella and both looked to be able to possibly even challenge Herbert in the final laps. Fisichella and Jordan missed the chance of fighting for a podium, however. The Italian suffered an oil leak in lap 63 and retired from 4th place. As a result, his compatriot, Jarno Trulli, promoted into the points in only his third race for Prost and he would stay there, despite having to make an unplanned stop due to a slow puncture and despite some pressure from fellow rookie Jan Magnussen before the latter had mechanical issues himself.

Meanwhile at the front, Michael Schumacher could cruise to his first win of the season. Heinz-Harald Frentzen did the same to finish 2nd, rising to 2nd in the drivers' championship as well. Johnny Herbert completed the podium, keeping just enough of a margin over a fast approaching Nathan van Dijk. Gerhard Berger and Jarno Trulli scored their first points of the season with 5th and 6th respectively.

RESULTS

DRIVERS' CHAMPIONSHIP

YOUR
LOGO

Here