New Article - The Reject Mindset

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

New Article - The Reject Mindset

Post by Londoner »

Good afternoon everyone, hope we're all staying safe and healthy in these unprecedented times. :)

It's unprecedented times for Grand Prix Rejects as we welcome our third new article in just a month! In his second Gravel Trap piece, Klon tries to work out why Reject drivers and teams appeal to us so much, and why we invest so much of our support and time in their exploits. It's a very philosophical piece by our standards, which you can read right here!

The Gravel Trap: The Reject Mindset
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Article - The Reject Mindset

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

It's hard for one to wrap one's head around the more abstract reasons one follows the backmarkers (On GPrejects and elsewhere), but this article helped get that point across better than I think almost anyone here can. Well done!
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 10 May 2020, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

My personal reason is a bit more straightforward: i've always been the loser, so i show support for the fellow losers. I want them to break their cycle. I don't like winners so at least make it a bit more hard for the winners to win.

Giving up on rejects is a bit like giving up on myself.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

My reason is I like how rejects F1 teams tend to have a fun character involved. Case in point, Jean-Pierre Van Rossem who I was reading up just a few hours ago: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... ard-backer
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

For my part, Klon hit the nail on the head perfectly. It's not about winning or losing, it's about showing up and fighting for everything you can get, even if, ultimately, what you're fighting for won't change anything.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Terrific piece, thanks.
And a great repudiation to those who comment that 'backmarkers' shouldn't bother .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Keke Rosberg wasn't really successful in F1 before he got the drive at Williams, having scored no points a year before. So he then told one reporter "You weren't interested in me last year so don't bother it now either".