Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate!

Poll ended at 12 Jul 2020, 14:20

Lando Norris
18%
Unreliability
55%
Charles Leclerc
27%
Nicolas Latifi
No votes

Total votes: 11

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria

Post by Londoner »

1. Lando Norris - Started 3rd, finished 3rd. Unrejectification in style!

2. Unreliability - A welcome return.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
rachel1990

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Lando Norris- What a way to Finish a race. He knew what he had to do and he did it. Brilliant

2- Unreliability- Made a great race. Pity Vettel's Ferrari survived otherwise Williams would have scored.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

(We still doing this by thread poll rather than 1 & 2?)

Anyhow, the only option not covered already is Leclerc. I know he had a bit of luck with Hamilton's penalty and both Red Bulls DNFing, but it was still a hell of a performance to haul that crate onto the podium. For most of the race he was slower than Perez and just about keeping pace with the McLarens.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

This should go to Leclerc. Just how did he do that? :?

Honorable mentions to Norris (first podium) and Latifi (11th pretty much by default, but still, he almost scored a point on his debut).
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

East Londoner wrote:1. Lando Norris - Started 3rd, finished 3rd. Unrejectification in style!

2. Unreliability - A welcome return.

Yeah, give me that with a side dish of Charles Leclerc as honourable mention.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Can't argue with 1. Unreliability, 2. Norris, 3. Leclerc
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Lando Norris. He had a bit of help with half the top ten failing to finish, but he still had to put the car over the line after 71 laps.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Lando Norris
2. Unreliability

HM to Leclerc
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. The unrealibility - Seems starting the season amongst the summer temperatures has given teams no clue how their PU's are behaving amongst the high heat that was felt in Austria. So yeah, we had 11 cars finishing, which I think it's the lowest number of finished drivers since Monaco 2014 (correct me if I'm wrong). That definetelly spiced up the action, and overall, increased the randomness.

2. Charles Leclerc - How the hell did he finish 2nd in that crapbox, I will never know.

Honorable mention for Lando Norris immense final lap and for the Williams comeback!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

Charles Leclerc 2nd place thanks to unreliability and some great on-track battles.

Lando Norris Would probably have picked him first were it not for Leclerc's performance. Added touch was getting fastest lap as the cherry on top.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Norris

Albon
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I know I've already posted here, but here's another thought. Is it good or bad that Martin Brundle and David Croft didn't realise that the drivers were on their final lap of the race until the chequered flag came out because it was such an action-packed race? Is that IIDOTR or ROTR?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) Unreliability - How glorious!

2.) Latifi - Endued an extra long off-season of jokes at his expense, and finished P11. Williams is ahead of Haas in the WCC, and I can't see them losing that.

dr-baker wrote:I know I've already posted here, but here's another thought. Is it good or bad that Martin Brundle and David Croft didn't realise that the drivers were on their final lap of the race until the chequered flag came out because it was such an action-packed race? Is that IIDOTR or ROTR?

They are always a contender for ROTR in my mind. They are the absolute worst.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I know I've already posted here, but here's another thought. Is it good or bad that Martin Brundle and David Croft didn't realise that the drivers were on their final lap of the race until the chequered flag came out because it was such an action-packed race? Is that IIDOTR or ROTR?

They are always a contender for ROTR in my mind. They are the absolute worst.

They're no Murray Walker, but surely they couldn't be worse than a theoretical paring of Jonathan Legard with Jonathan Palmer?
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:They're no Murray Walker, but surely they couldn't be worse than a theoretical paring of Jonathan Legard with Jonathan Palmer?

Never heard Legard, but if he can identify the correct driver per car and not talk over the bloody radio EVERY SINGLE TIME, he's already an improvement. James Allen was better than these bathplugging James Hunts we're stuck with.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:They're no Murray Walker, but surely they couldn't be worse than a theoretical paring of Jonathan Legard with Jonathan Palmer?

Never heard Legard, but if he can identify the correct driver per car and not talk over the bloody radio EVERY SINGLE TIME, he's already an improvement. James Allen was better than these bathplugging James Hunts we're stuck with.

Fair enough. Not going to argue with that.
MCard LOLA
Forester

Post by Forester »

Wallio wrote:

Depends what year Legard we're talking about. I recall him being described in another forum in his first season as having a 'dad-on-the-sofa' style, which I suppose covers it: he came across as reasonably knowledgeable for someone who hadn't commentated on motorsport before, and could at least remember the wider context without making any glaring errors, but didn't offer any great insight (to be expected, and what Brundle was for) or impart any great enthusiasm. Except when there were PROBLEMS, described in full NASCAR-stylee, or things could be CRUCIAL.

In 2010... may just be me, but he seemed to regress sharply: reverting to simply describing what was going on, on-screen, in disjointed monotone and while making glaring errors. Or making long-winded harking-back comments while completely missing on-track action. He gave a real tone of disinterest (I seem to recall one of the Lotuses was punted off track in Abu Dhabi and he identified it as being Kovalainen's; Brundle corrected him, as it was Trulli's, and Legard's reponse was effectively 'oh, well, it was one of them.') except for the aforementioned PROBLEMS, which were somehow even less intelligibly described, but were nonetheless still CRUCIAL.

I would say worse than Croft, on balance.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

We were lucky in America as during that era we had the SPEED team of Varsha/Hobb/Matchett.

Varsha was pretty meh overall but he deferred to Hobbs and Matchett enough so it was tolerable. NBC then improved things by bringing over the entire team EXCEPT Varsha. But now that I have F1TV I'm stuck with the current duo.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. McLaren - They have more hope for this season than Ferrari, which is quite the achievement
2. Racing Point - They have more hope for this season than Ferrari, which is quite the achievement

Commentary commentary
I don't mind Croft. He's all right. Wouldn't miss him, but don't dislike him. Except when he comes up with some crazy idea and Brundle isn't brave enough to correct him. Why is Davidson always brave enough to correct him? Is it because he's first-choice for a different position in the team than commentary so feels he has less to worry about? But oh man, imagine Valsecchi commentating this race. That's what I want to see. Maybe Walker and Valsecchi would be the anachronistic dream team; one would make boring races much more exciting and one would do the same to races that are already good.

I still think Brundle's insight and analysis is really good, even though it has to be more general than what a 2010s F1 driver can provide. And he waits for the right chances to be funny, rather than trying to force jokes in like Croft tries to sometimes.

I'm in the process of watching the 2010 season back with British coverage, and I have to say, I'm definitely glad I had the American commentary back then... much more enthusiastic, to say the least. So won't argue that one.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Can we give a shout out to how well Billy Monger's doing on C4? Seems very confident and mature for his age and his lack of experience. It's nice to have a younger voice around, especially one who has racing experience and has raced with people like Russell,Latifi,Norris so he knows their driving styles and personalities. I was impressed last year when he did a couple of spots and once they'd got the 'coming-back-after-an-accident' talk with Kubica out the way, he led some interesting conversations with people like Toto Wolff.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Miguel98 wrote: So yeah, we had 11 cars finishing, which I think it's the lowest number of finished drivers since Monaco 2014 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Australia 2015 had 11 too...
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

My favorites, commentary-wise have been Martin Brundle and the US team of Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett. Loved Murray, especially with the perspective that Jamie/Enoch and this site have given me about him, having watched him in retrospect. Of the main English-language teams, all of the rest sit on a fairly narrow continuum of "meh" to "fine" for me. I suspect I'd like Davidson or Chandok in a main role nearly as much as my other favorites as well.

Bear in mind that there are two distinct roles (traditionally) in the broadcast booth. The "play-by-play" person and the "color" person. The first is almost always a career broadcaster and the second is an expert on the specific sport. It seems like when anyone has any dislike of the commentators (in F1 anyway), it's almost always directed at the "play-by-play" person. I'm not sure why, maybe because they're the ones who talk the most. Except Murray, he's the one "play-by-play" person that a lot of people love, though even those who love him often admit that he made more mistakes than anyone. In the end, none would probably stop me from watching or enjoying the races one bit.

On the subject of commentator mistakes, the cars now just don't lend themselves to identifying the correct driver in my opinion. I try to verify, in my own mind, what the commentators are saying, but I can rarely pick out the number on the car in the midst of the action. It happened to me a bunch of times yesterday yet again. And the helmets are useless (they were useless before the halo too). They all looked so similar and nondescript. The last helmet in F1 I can specifically remember was Massa's, a nice set of ram's horns.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Maybe I should separate the commentators I know into the two types of roles as best I can to show what I meant.

Play-by-play: Murray, Legard, Allen, Croft, Varsha

Color: Brundle, Hunt, Hobbs, Matchett (and I think that Davidson or Chandok would slot in here as well)
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'll be right at the front of the anti-Legard brigade, but I won't take criticism of Jonathan Palmer :P

I agree, the unreliability made this a glorious affair. If we could have a whole season with this level of unreliability, I would be the happiest guy in the world.

I just really hope Hamilton or Bottas win just because their cars are invincible.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Legard was dreadful in those two years as commentator. That performance in Korea 2010 still hurts my ears to this day.

Anyway this one should go to either Norris who qualified 4th and would have been top 5 without the drama on merit, Leclerc for making the Ferrari look better than it was and unreliability, when was the last time that many cars dropped out?
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Legard was dreadful in those two years as commentator. That performance in Korea 2010 still hurts my ears to this day.

Oh God its all coming screaming back to me now. How many times he would shout problems during a race. I put on the 5 live commentary on the red button in 2009 so I didn't have to listen to him (a feature that was dropped in 2010 so we all had to suffer)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

1 Leclerc just staying cool and overcoming a bad starting position, despite not being that pacy.
2 Norris, because of that last lap.

Honorable mention: chaos.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Forester

Post by Forester »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:Bear in mind that there are two distinct roles (traditionally) in the broadcast booth. The "play-by-play" person and the "color" person. The first is almost always a career broadcaster and the second is an expert on the specific sport. It seems like when anyone has any dislike of the commentators (in F1 anyway), it's almost always directed at the "play-by-play" person. I'm not sure why, maybe because they're the ones who talk the most. Except Murray, he's the one "play-by-play" person that a lot of people love, though even those who love him often admit that he made more mistakes than anyone. In the end, none would probably stop me from watching or enjoying the races one bit.

On the subject of commentator mistakes, the cars now just don't lend themselves to identifying the correct driver in my opinion. I try to verify, in my own mind, what the commentators are saying, but I can rarely pick out the number on the car in the midst of the action. It happened to me a bunch of times yesterday yet again. And the helmets are useless (they were useless before the halo too). They all looked so similar and nondescript. The last helmet in F1 I can specifically remember was Massa's, a nice set of ram's horns.

To derail the thread once again, I think a not-insignificant part of Murray's enduring popularity is his own endurance in the sport. He was the voice of F1 for UK viewers, and most of the English-speaking world by extension, between 1978 and 2001, and had been commentating on motorsport since 1950, in addition to other events in and around his F1 broadcasts. People literally grew up and spent most of their lives listening to him and his style.

There was also the face that he gave a (not so subtle) sense that he was a genuine and lifelong fan of racing in general: he did compete in motorcycle racing in his younger days. And that passion clearly came across in his commentary, while he was able to describe events in detail, only rarely neglecting the wider context (his autobiography includes an excerpt of his written race notes from an event in the late nineties, complete with trivia details for every driver on the grid such as 'potentially his first points finish in ten races'), without trying to force in arched metaphors. Plus when he harkened wistfully to a past event, he had actually been there to see it! Also, while he did have his favourites (DAMON), I don't recall him being overly partisan (refusing to immediately blame Schumacher for Adelaide '94 or Jerez '97, something Brundle was only too happy to do).

As for the mistakes, one has to remember the technology and information available at the time, and the real-time information available to the commentators (which seems to largely be based on the world feed, with some telemetry, though I am probably wrong). At its best, in 2001, this was SD-quality with timing graphics that updated once per lap. At its worst, there wasn't even a lap counter, and positions would be shown (by car number only) once every... hour, all filmed in potato-standard definition. Again, recounting Murray's autobiography, a race broadcast from Argentina (in the days when only a highlights package with post-event commentary was made) was just a hazy fifty-lap panning shot of the leader with only basic information on other's positions provided separately, none of whom were shown on screen or dropping out. Compared to now, when the position tower shows a driver's full surname tumbling down the order in real-time, as the camera positioned over their helmet (with personally-assigned number and, occasionally, their own logo on the top of it) shows the fallen coasting at the trackside, it seems somehow less forgivable to get things muddled as often as it happens.

Re-railing:

1. Norris.

2. Unreliability.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I've been thinking, after reading all your commentaries about Ferrari's race, and how Leclerc finished second. I think something completely and infinitely improbable has happened.

Ferrari's Strategy was actually good! :badoer:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:I've been thinking, after reading all your commentaries about Ferrari's race, and how Leclerc finished second. I think something completely and infinitely improbable has happened.

Aided by attrition. But to finish on the podium, first you have to finish...

And the strategy was only good for one car. Despite all the DNFs, Vettel gained one whole place!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is up here too! You have 48 hours to let us know what was your favourite unexpected event in last week's Austrian Grand Prix :dance:
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:I've been thinking, after reading all your commentaries about Ferrari's race, and how Leclerc finished second. I think something completely and infinitely improbable has happened.

I dunno, I'd compare it to being like saying Jordan's strategy was good in Indianapolis 2005 because Montiero got on the podium.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I now withdraw all my complaints about commentary after watching FP1 and FP2 at work today. MORE PAUL DI RESTA!!!!!

He's properly glorious! Shutting down Crofty and Kravitz left, right and center, and when he was s**ting all over Stroll and his "contract" I quite literally laughed out loud.