2021/2022 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
IceG

2021/2022 Silly Season thread

Post by IceG »

I was shocked to see that we did not have a thread for this.

Given the current circumstance, I have taken the Liberty :D of combining this and the next season into one.

Two things struck me after the Austrian Grand Prix. Firstly, young Russell saying "no matter what happens, I will have a Mercedes engine in 2022" and secondly Hamilton saying "good driver that Norris" over the car/pit radio.

While there seems little doubt that Russell is an excellent driver, Norris has better results and more experience. Could we see Norris going to Mercedes to replace Bottas and Russell going to McLaren to replace Norris?
mario

Re: 2021/2022 Silly Season thread

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:I was shocked to see that we did not have a thread for this.

Given the current circumstance, I have taken the Liberty :D of combining this and the next season into one.

Two things struck me after the Austrian Grand Prix. Firstly, young Russell saying "no matter what happens, I will have a Mercedes engine in 2022" and secondly Hamilton saying "good driver that Norris" over the car/pit radio.

While there seems little doubt that Russell is an excellent driver, Norris has better results and more experience. Could we see Norris going to Mercedes to replace Bottas and Russell going to McLaren to replace Norris?

Haven't Norris and Russell participated in the same number of races though? I don't think that Norris really does have any experience advantage, and Russell is already integrated into Mercedes's team due to the historical testing work he has done for them.

I can see some attraction for that move for Mercedes, but I would have thought that McLaren would be reluctant to let Norris go. His strong form is the main reason why they're ahead of Ferrari in the WCC right now, he seems to be a real inspiration to the team and there seems to be a pretty healthy relationship between Norris and Ricciardo right now. It's not to say that McLaren couldn't do something similar with Russell, but if I were in Zak's position, why would I want to change a team that's working so well at the moment?

It's also worth noting that Mercedes might be a bit worried that they could lose Russell to another team if they loaned him to McLaren, and they might not want to take that risk.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Lando's contract is under lock and key for the foreseeable, and one would imagine he'd have a pretty hefty break clause anyway - ZB will not want to let him go.

As for George, I think it's at the point where it's a necessity to get him into Mercedes for next year. Hamilton's signed up for two more years, after which you suspect that'll be it for him - and so it's going to have to start thinking about the future. George is the right driver - much in the same mould as Hamilton in that he'll push the team, keep them honest and be that driving force forward. I think I've told this story before, but back in F2 he was quite unhappy with his Sochi feature race performance (where he finished fourth) and kept the ART engineers working until quite late on to find something extra from the car. Then he went and won the sprint the following day.

You suspect Bottas doesn't have that assertiveness to lead the team, and although there's team harmony to think about, having a couple of seasons to get George up to speed to lead the team later down the line looks like the best course of action if Mercedes wants a new leader.

There's not really anyone else on the grid who can do that; Leclerc and Sainz look like they've thrown their lot in with Ferrari for the next few years, Gasly still needs to prove he can do the business at a top team, and Mercedes has seen fit to let Ocon sign a longer-term deal with Alpine.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Could someone explain to me how the sprint race format is going to make things more exciting?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Spectoremg wrote:Could someone explain to me how the sprint race format is going to make things more exciting?

It adds another race to the already oversaturated calendar so you as an investor, will profit from more revenue.

If you're not an investor, then i have bad news for you.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Butterfox wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Could someone explain to me how the sprint race format is going to make things more exciting?

It adds another race to the already oversaturated calendar so you as an investor, will profit from more revenue.

If you're not an investor, then i have bad news for you.

Or, alternatively, you could use the cryptocurrency exchange that Liberty Media have signed as the primary sponsor.

The excitement would then come from the question of whether said exchange will end up being shut down for dodgy behaviour - there does seem to be a bit of an unfortunate coincidence that, at around the same time that Liberty Media was striking that sponsorship deal with that cryptocurrency exchange, the UK's Organised Crime Agency has seized nearly £300 million of cryptocurrencies from criminals who were laundering money through two other exchanges.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RAK

Post by RAK »

mario wrote:Or, alternatively, you could use the cryptocurrency exchange that Liberty Media have signed as the primary sponsor.

The excitement would then come from the question of whether said exchange will end up being shut down for dodgy behaviour - there does seem to be a bit of an unfortunate coincidence that, at around the same time that Liberty Media was striking that sponsorship deal with that cryptocurrency exchange, the UK's Organised Crime Agency has seized nearly £300 million of cryptocurrencies from criminals who were laundering money through two other exchanges.

Being stridently and vocally opposed to cryptocurrency and having been since almost the start of the field's existence, I find it embarrassing that Formula One (and also found it embarrassing that UEFA with Euro 2020) were so happy to jump into bed with it. It's been 12 years and there hasn't been a use case for cryptocurrency or blockchains in general where it's better than a centralised database and isn't linked to criminal activity and/or speculation.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
mario

Post by mario »

RAK wrote:
mario wrote:Or, alternatively, you could use the cryptocurrency exchange that Liberty Media have signed as the primary sponsor.

Being stridently and vocally opposed to cryptocurrency and having been since almost the start of the field's existence, I find it embarrassing that Formula One (and also found it embarrassing that UEFA with Euro 2020) were so happy to jump into bed with it. It's been 12 years and there hasn't been a use case for cryptocurrency or blockchains in general where it's better than a centralised database and isn't linked to criminal activity and/or speculation.

They seem to be leaning quite hard into cryptocurrencies and NFTs, perhaps because the hype around them makes it looks like it's basically a licence to print money in the short term - there's probably a massive bubble being created that will collapse and cause financial mayhem further down the line, but they're banking on it coming far enough down the line that they can make off with the money before then.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Just wanted to say how weird it feels that Alfa Romeo will likely have the lineup Williams is "supposed" to
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

now everyone's talking about a possible Monza announcement for the Mercedes lineup next year. Motorsport taking advantage of the fact by putting two separate headline articles, one about Russell knowing where he's driving next year, the other about Bottas saying he's hoping for a multi-year deal somewhere from 2022.

So I think the result is obvious. Both Bottas and Russell are going to be in that Merc next year and Hamilton goes to Alfa Romeo to replace Kimi. :|
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Did I just read Alvin to Williams? I didn’t see that coming.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:Did I just read Alvin to Williams? I didn’t see that coming.

Alexander Alvin returns in Image
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Oh for ffffff. My phone autocorrected and I never even noticed. Meh. I'm gonna style it out. Perhaps Alvin could get a drive with.... Theodore Racing :dance:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Oh for ffffff. My phone autocorrected and I never even noticed. Meh. I'm gonna style it out. Perhaps Alvin could get a drive with.... Theodore Racing :dance:

Simon says... 2 stop race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Another piece of sizeable news - Kimi has now tested positive for covid-19 and is in isolation at his hotel, with Kubica having to step in. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubi ... e/6659870/

I wonder if this means Kubica will also drive in Monza as well - with the Italian GP only a week later, he might not be able to recover ahead of that race.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Bottas confirmed to be off to Alfa; will we be getting a Russell announcement soon?

Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RAK wrote:Bottas confirmed to be off to Alfa; will we be getting a Russell announcement soon?

Autosport wrote:Bottas was Hamilton’s fifth team-mate in F1 and is his longest-serving partner following previous stints for the Briton alongside Fernando Alonso (2007), Heikki Kovalainen (2008-2009), Jenson Button (2010-2012) and Nico Rosberg (2013-2016).

So, 1 year for Alonso, 2 years for Heikki, 3 years for Button, 4 years for Rosberg, 5 years Bottas,....

6 years therefore for Russell?!?!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The silly season's most predictable news, more like...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Dayum, my money was on Jacques Villeneuve :facepalm:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:

Has either Mansell or Hakkinen officially announced their retirements yet?
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Has either Mansell or Hakkinen officially announced their retirements yet?
I never thought I'd see the day when Kimi Raikkonen retires before Nigel Mansell :deletraz:
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Very pleased for George. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times, you know! Back in the day when we could phone him up and ask for an interview, hah!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/willi ... 2/6662621/

Alex Albon confirmed at Williams. That surprises me actually, I thought Mercedes would block it rather than letting a Red Bull driver go to one of its customer teams.

The thing I thought they might do if Red Bull wanted Albon back in a race seat was to offload Perez on Williams (as Perez doesn't have a long history with them like Albon or their other 3 race drivers do). Then they could have put him either back in their race seat, or in AlphaTauri if they re-promoted Gasly. Also Perez would be someone good to lead Williams forward too.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's looking like there's only one seat that's likely to cause any ruckus between now and 2022, and that's the other Alfa seat. Gio might keep his seat, but there's talk of Pourchaire or Zhou jumping up from the feeder series. It would be really crazy if Gio does get another year, just because we wouldn't have any rookies on the grid at the season opener :shock:
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Someone somewhere - and it may have been the motorsport.com comments section - suggested that the reason Mick Schumacher has been bellyaching so much at Haas and his not-Russian-honest teammate is that his manager (is that still Willi Weber?) is trying to get him out of Haas and into Alfa Romeo. This was before Bottas was announced at Alfa, and now that we know he's there it makes even more sense. We're never going to know if Mick is the real deal or whether he's as bad as Controversial Klon Is Going To Stick His Neck On The Line and say he is, while he's mired at 2021's answer to Marussia alongside a driver absolutely nobody rates - but Bottas is a much better yardstick and the Alfa is a better car, even if it's not going to set the world on fire (and I suspect that it still won't, even after next year's rule changes).

The obvious roadblock to this is - are Alfa going to get shot of Giovinazzi to do so, whether or not that involves a straight swap to Haas?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Can only say I've followed the seats that are changing, but all the other race seats bar the second Alfa are confirmed yes? (Except maybe Haas as per above?).

The likes of McLaren, Ferrari, Aston Martin have all been pretty low-profile about it!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

James1978 wrote:Can only say I've followed the seats that are changing, but all the other race seats bar the second Alfa are confirmed yes? (Except maybe Haas as per above?).

The likes of McLaren, Ferrari, Aston Martin have all been pretty low-profile about it!

Well Lance Stroll hasn't been officially confirmed at Aston but that's only a formality.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
RAK

Post by RAK »

Rob Dylan wrote:Gio might keep his seat, but there's talk of Pourchaire or Zhou jumping up from the feeder series.

Zhou seems like he'd be an underwhelming choice, since I don't think he's covered himself in glory in his junior career. Would be an obvious pay driver move, similar to Mazepin, although at least Zhou may be a bit better than Mazepin in terms of talent.

Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

"F1 considering standalone sprint race plan for 2022"

"23 races? What's that? Not enough? How about 46? And each sprint race gives out lots of points? That's right, we listen to the fans"
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/williams-signs-alex-albon-for-formula-1-return-in-2022/6662621/

Alex Albon confirmed at Williams. That surprises me actually, I thought Mercedes would block it rather than letting a Red Bull driver go to one of its customer teams.

The thing I thought they might do if Red Bull wanted Albon back in a race seat was to offload Perez on Williams (as Perez doesn't have a long history with them like Albon or their other 3 race drivers do). Then they could have put him either back in their race seat, or in AlphaTauri if they re-promoted Gasly. Also Perez would be someone good to lead Williams forward too.

It would appear that the agreement was that Albon couldn't remain under employment with Red Bull at the same time as driving at Williams, so Red Bull have announced that they have formally cut ties with him (although they appear to have an option to hire him again in the future).

Butterfox wrote:
James1978 wrote:Can only say I've followed the seats that are changing, but all the other race seats bar the second Alfa are confirmed yes? (Except maybe Haas as per above?).

Well Lance Stroll hasn't been officially confirmed at Aston but that's only a formality.

Technically, neither Aston Martin driver has been formally confirmed for 2022. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... n/6663292/

In Vettel's case, although it was originally reported as a multi-year deal, it seems that was not quite correct. It now seems to be the case that he signed a 1 year deal, with an option to then extend the deal by 1-2 years depending on whether he wanted to continue in F1 (as it seems he did consider the alternative option of retiring from F1).
IceG

Post by IceG »

It seems that there are reports that either Audi or BMW have purchased Mclaren - and a strong denial from Mclaren themselves

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mclaren/3 ... ts-suggest

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-t ... ment-sale/
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

What does Nyck de Vries have to do to get an F1 drive :cry:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
RAK

Post by RAK »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:What does Nyck de Vries have to do to get an F1 drive :cry:

Judging by Zhou, have a big basket worth of sponsorship money.

Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:What does Nyck de Vries have to do to get an F1 drive :cry:

Find a money truck and back it up to a team factory.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Looks like Haas will have an empty seat...

Giovinazzi (because of the Ferrari connection)?

Hulkenberg (because that is what we all want)?

Raikkonen (because that is what we want, what we really, really want*)?

* Courtesy Mrs. Horner
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Looks like Haas will have an empty seat...

Giovinazzi (because of the Ferrari connection)?

Hulkenberg (because that is what we all want)?

Raikkonen (because that is what we want, what we really, really want*)?

* Courtesy Mrs. Horner

Steiner has stated that Pietro Fittipaldi would be their first choice to replace Mazepin.