Alt-Mario Kart 1994: Pillars of Sand

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Rob Dylan

Alt-Mario Kart 1994: Pillars of Sand

Post by Rob Dylan »

1993 truly was a golden-age year for Alt-Mario Kart. In a thrilling battle with no end of drama, Bowser Koopa took the title from his again-rival Luigi Mario. Their roles reversed, Bowser developed consistency while Luigi went the other way. An arms race as well as a fraternal conflict between the Mario brothers brought things to their most exciting yet!

Another year is upon us, though. How can 1994 possibly hope to live up to the excitement of last season? Well, there has been a long and gruelling silly season in the meantime. Mario Mario has broken away from his sibling(s) and teamed up with Toad Toadstool. Wario has joined the "enemy" at BMW, and 1992 champion Luigi has joined a brand-new team on the grid, run by the young Diddy Kong (nephew of multiple race-winner Donkey Kong Jr).

It will be a year of damage recovery for the 1992 champion, while Bowser's main rivalry will likely come from Wario Jumpman. However, perhaps the Koopa king has his new teammate where he wants him, as a customer contract will reduce development ability as the season goes on. We also have another new team, formed deep into the winter, by the Hammer Bros corporation. Keen to get in on the sport, Foreman Spike also joins us on the grid!

So, will Bowser run away with it? Will this be Mario's year? Will Mariotani be the boost Toad needs to get back on track after a disastrous 1993? Will the Mitsuyoshi runners finally gain some consistency and challenge for the title? We'll see.

LINK TO SPREADSHEET

Entries for 1994:
#1. Bowser Koopa. Age 40 with Bowser Motorworks, driving the B.M.W. E93B.
#2. Luigi Mario. Age 26 with Équipe Luigier, driving the...
#3. Wario Jumpman. Age 32 with Super Wario Racing, driving the...
#4. Peach Toadstool. Age 28 with Peachific, driving the PR02.
#5. Yoshi Munchakoopas. Age 32 with Yoshimura Kartabusa, driving the...
#6. Donkard “Donkey” Kong Jr. Age 44 with D&K Fabrications, driving the DKC-03
#7. Kooper Troopa. Age 37 with PowerStar Koopra Sport, driving the KS2/B.
#8. Mario Mario. Age 30 with Scuderia Mario, driving the SM50C
#9. Toad Toadstool. Age 23 with 1-UP Racing Team, driving the KM1
#10. Daisy von Sarasaland. Age 27 with Sarasaland Squadron, driving the...
#11. Donkard "Diddy" Kong. Age 26 with..., driving the....
#12. Foreman Spike. Age 38 with Hammer Bros. Racing Team (HBRT), driving the HB194.
#13. Lewis Hammerton. Age 22 with Marionster Energy HBRT, driving the...
#14. Paraceval J. Troopa. Age 28 with Support Our Paras Racing, driving the PT47

Things to note pre-season
- Again, by checking the sheet above you can see your stats. Those drivers without enough points to pay for depreciation have been assigned all-new SMK/94s and have kept development stats. Those with points available can choose to switch to SMK/94s and keep their points, or to spend points maintaining their SMK/93s exactly as they were at season-end 1993.
- Once all cars have been decided, off-season points will be assigned and you will be able to spend them before the Mushroom Cup.
- As always, you get 8 points each development season to spend. Engines and Tyres cost 2 points each to develop, with everything else costing 1. Customer cars get 5 development points, while Cup winners get 12 (or 10 if it's a customer).
- If a driver has negative points due to a lack of essential development last year, they may not be allowed to participate.

1994 Calendar:

MUSHROOM CUP
1. Mario International Circuit (Inner Layout)
2. Donut Plains (Outer Loop)
3. Mario International Circuit (International Layout)
4. Bowser's Castle (Grand Prix Circuit) :flag_ko:

FLOWER CUP
5. Bowser's Castle (Endurance Circuit) :flag_ko:
6. Donut Plains (Sprint Circuit)
7. Choco Island (Outer Loop)
8. Ghost Valley (National Circuit) :flag_boo:

STAR CUP
9. Mario Circuit (National Circuit)
10. Vanilla Lake (Oval) :flag_sno:
11. Choco Island (Endurance Circuit)
12. Bowser's Castle (International Circuit) :flag_ko:

SPECIAL CUP
13. Koopa Beach (Olympic Circuit) :flag_ko:
14. Donut Plains (International Circuit)
15. Vanilla Lake (Outer Oval)
16. Rainbow Road :flag_sp:

Points are awarded as follows:
1st: 9 points
2nd: 6 points
3rd: 3 points
4th: 1 points
5th and lower: 0 points

You're free to sign up whenever you like! Just get in touch with me on this thread or on Discord. Conversely, if you want to quit, likewise just say so :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: Alt-Mario Kart 1994: Pillars of Sand

Post by Rob Dylan »

So as I say, everyone post up here what cool name you'd like for your car, and in Diddy Kong's case, for your team too. Calendar will be done soon
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Reigning world champion, Bowser, together with his championship winning team, have decided to keep their championship winning car for another season.
The car will be known as the B.M.W. E93B.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

24 yo Lewis "Bro" Hammer, from Stevenage, Mushroom Kingdom, would like to join the Hammer Bros. Racing Team as their second driver.

The green shell hints at the fact he brings in Marionster Energy sponsorship money.

sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

novitopoli wrote:24 yo Lewis "Bro" Hammer, from Stevenage, Mushroom Kingdom, would like to join the Hammer Bros. Racing Team as their second driver.

The green shell hints at the fact he brings in Marionster Energy sponsorship money.

The MIA are more than happy to welcome a member of the tycoon Hammer family - one of the brothers no less. I assume that the HBRT will be fine having a second driver, but I await Hammercat's approval on that.

Also, may I suggest we have Lewis's age as 22, as that was the other Lewis's age on debut?
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Kooper Troopa & Koopra Sport will be fielding the updated KS2/B for 1994.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Donkey Kong Jr. Will run the DKC-03 for this season, powered by BMW engines.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Mario Mario shall be fielding the all-new SM50C.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Peach will drop de De Toadmaso name and call all of the car Peachific PR02. Rumours that Bertrand Gachot has bought a share in the team are 100% false.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Rob Dylan wrote:
novitopoli wrote:24 yo Lewis "Bro" Hammer, from Stevenage, Mushroom Kingdom, would like to join the Hammer Bros. Racing Team as their second driver.

The MIA are more than happy to welcome a member of the tycoon Hammer family - one of the brothers no less. I assume that the HBRT will be fine having a second driver, but I await Hammercat's approval on that.

Also, may I suggest we have Lewis's age as 22, as that was the other Lewis's age on debut?

22 it is. Hammer time!
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

Rob Dylan wrote:

HBRT approved the contract neg. with Lewis "Bro" Hammer as their second driver behind Foreman Spike, both drivers will be threated equally without any doubt.

The chassis name will be as following:
HB194
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Been doing on and off updates to the sheets and everything else over the Christmas break when I've been able to.

Check out the spreadsheet 1994 Attributes, as your cars are now upgradeable going into the 1994 Mushroom Cup, which will be run on the 4th of January. Get your upgrades in before then!

Also don't forget to name the car you're driving for this upcoming historic season.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Diddy Kong is quite surprised to see him there, but welcomes Luigi Mario into the team and looks forward to him improving the car kart and stuff pls.

His chassis shall be the Diddylara 194, which shall be powered by a Kongsworth engine, and run on Donklop tyres.

It appears that we have eight attribute points to spend. How exciting:
  • 2 points on Aero
  • 2 points on Grip
  • 1 (x2) points on Engine
  • 2 points on Setup

Hopefully this is all in order?
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Donkey kong will spend 5 tokens on grip, 3 on aero, 2 on qualifying and 2 on setup pls.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Announcement!

After failing the safety checks conducted each off-season, Mario Mario's SM50C has been excluded from the upcoming Mushroom Cup! The MIA have again taken a dim view of Mario's loophole spending and have deemed his new kart unsafe and unsporting. It does not meet the requirements and the Italian will have to wait until after the Mushroom Cup to prove the kart is safe to drive.

In the meantime, the MIA have an official entry-list of 13 cars, and are happy with the recent surge of interest in Mario Kart to lease out Mario's place to a part-time entrant while the Italian gets his sorry ship to shore. They are talking behind the scenes with some teams for this to happen. More to follow.
Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Announcement!

In the meantime, the MIA have an official entry-list of 13 cars, and are happy with the recent surge of interest in Mario Kart to lease out Mario's place to a part-time entrant while the Italian gets his sorry ship to shore. They are talking behind the scenes with some teams for this to happen. More to follow.

HBRT has got an temporary option for a 3rd kart for the price of 2 upgrade points :P so Mario Mario still can roll in the upcoming race right?
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Hammercat42 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Announcement!

HBRT has got an temporary option for a 3rd kart for the price of 2 upgrade points :P so Mario Mario still can roll in the upcoming race right?

Mario would consider this offer, but he has decided on an alternative course of action.
Mario will be missing the Mushroom Cup to work on making his kart compliant with the 1994 regulations boycotting the Mushroom Cup because of the unfair treatment of Toad, wrongly fined for cheating he didn't do.

Mario Mario wrote:This is no longer a sport, this is all politics. This political wrangling is bringing Mario Kart into disrepute and delegitimising its credibility as the pinnacle of motorsports. It is time enough that someone take a stand against this corruption and politicking threatening to consume and destroy our beloved sport! I will be that someone to lead the way in restoring the prestige of Mario Kart!
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Name: Paraceval J. Troopa
Chassis: SMK/94 (Parabham PT47)
Engine: B.M.W (if possible, rebadged as Paratronas. If not, then B.M.W) (approved by Hermann...i mean, bowser)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It is confirmed. #14 will be Para Troopa, probably related somehow to Kooper Troopa. After the MIA had difficulty contacting various participants during the Life Day celebrations, Donkey Kong Jr personally sponsored the entry of one Para Troopa. Unfortunately, the maximum three slots are already filled for the BMW drivers, of which DK Jr is one, so Troopa will officially form part of the Koopa Climax crew, with rebadged BMW engines. He will enter officially under the Support Our Paras Racing label.

All seats have now been filled.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Bowser would like to upgrade the following things:
    3 points on setup
    3 points on qualifying
    a maximum of 6 points on tyres, to gain one point

If any upgrade points are left, put them into grip.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

We are very close to the beginning of 1994, and we hope you're as excited as we are. Here are the current upgrades as they stand:

The biggest news in upgrades was that Toad, after having an incredibly successful RNG, was ratted out by his opponent DK Jr for having an illegal car. The MIA conducted an investigation and determined that this was indeed the case. Therefore, after some discussion and underhand payment made by Toad to the organisers, he will be allowed to race, albeit with a reduced number of tokens going into the next upgrade phase.

Happy reminder that you'll need to announce your upgrades before Tuesday evening European time, as that is when I will run the Mushroom Cup.
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Daisy will add +2 on every stat she can, please!
Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Happy reminder that you'll need to announce your upgrades before Tuesday evening European time, as that is when I will run the Mushroom Cup.

If i am throwing an engine update, Hammerton will have them too right?

For now:
I have got 8 tokens to spend and i will spend mine as follow:

HBRT will spend tokens on their Foreman Spike's kart with a grey pencil:
+2 Engines (4 tokens)
+1 Reliability (1 token)
+1 Setup (1 token)
Saves 2 tokens for later.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Wario will finally make his upgrades:

Aero - 4
Grip - 4
Reliability - 2
Setup - 3
Qualifying - 2
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Luigier upgrades, for our new LD02 chassis:

Grip - 5pts
Setup - 5pts
Qualifying- 3pts
Aero - 3pts
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1994 Mushroom Cup

Pre-season testing was interesting.

We went into the Mushroom Cup with the widest field seen since the very first Cup in 1992. There were some favourites, yes: Bowser, Toad, and Wario to name just a few. However, the influx of rookies and the musical chairs that went on during silly season really did bring a lot of hype.

It was a surprise then to see the stands quiet at Mario Circuit. The home hero Mario was standing in the garage and did not drive, having been excluded from the Cup by the MIA for an underdeveloped car incapable of passing the crash tests. Mario himself has claimed to be boycotting the events after it was found that Toad’s car was illegal. The conflict simply continues on.

Mario Circuit saw the contenders Bowser and Toad take the front row, only to both crash out at turn 1 lap 1. Wario took inherited the lead and won the opening race of the season, just as he did in 1993. Daisy and Peach shared the other podium places, making this the first race ever to have two women on the podium. Luigi claimed a heroic 4th, considering the quality of the machinery beneath him. A season of damage limitation for the Mario brother, unfortunately.

Then things all changed. At Donut Plains, a track known for its high intensity and high attrition, tragedy struck. After a second successive pole, reigning champion Bowser kept the lead and won in domineering fashion. Behind him was the substitute Para Troopa, who filled in for the absent Mario to take a fantastic 2nd place in only his 2nd race. However, on the 3rd lap Donkey Kong Jr’s tyre delaminated and he hit the colourful brick wall. The crash was horrific, and the medical kart had to be called. Dr. Mario was at the scene and took DK Jr to the nearest medical centre, where he is being kept in a coma.

The crash was one of many that took place at the track due to tyres. The manufacturers blamed the karts for going too fast. And it is true – these are the most developed karts yet, going at speeds never before seen. Safety has always been an issue in Mario Kart, and now its first victim has been claimed. Dr. Mario claims that DK Jr will never race again, and the whole race was overshadowed by this incident.

However, in a greatly unpopular act, the MIA demanded that the Cup continue in spite of these dangers. Without any time to assemble, the drivers followed the mantra that The Show Must Go On, and at Mario Circuit 2 Wario took a second win ahead of Bowser in an incredibly close fight. Koopa Troopa emulated Nick Heidfeld with 13 podiums and no wins, while Toad took an easy ROTR for having basically the best car and binning it.

As the circus reached Bowser’s Castle, the drivers were at tipping point. There were talks of boycotts, and indeed Mario Mario didn’t even turn up to the race. While Toad won the race after an exciting crash from the race leader Wario, this was all overshadowed by the situation at hand.

The standings at the end of the Mushroom Cup are very close. Wario takes his first Cup win, and it seems that this is between the BMW drivers unless Toad can get his act together on a consistent basis.

More to follow on the drivers’ reaction to the DK Jr incident very soon. Standings here:
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Hammerton will go for an Engine upgrade, a Tyres upgrade, a Reliability upgrade and a Qualifying upgrade.

Ataxia wrote:

Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

For his debut, Donkey kong the 3rd will spend 2 upgrade points each on aero, Grip, Setup and qualifying, please.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The Daily Goomba wrote:KONG IN HOSPITAL AFTER HORRIFIC CRASH!

The Magic Mushroom wrote:MARIO KART RACE WINNER PUT INTO COMA, FIGHTING FOR LIFE

Heat Magazine wrote:"TEAR DOWN THE MIA" SAYS MARIO IN FURIOUS NEW INTERVIEW

The Toadstool Times wrote:NEW DRIVER COUNCIL TO TACKLE MARIO KART SAFETY TERROR!

So yes, the fallout is still occurring.

The drivers have had a meeting between Cups, and decided to revive the MKDA, the Mario Kart Drivers' Association, which DK Jr was the representative of before now. The MKDA was mostly a symbolic handover from the pre-war years, but now the drivers see that the time has come to revive it into the force it once was.

Already Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Yoshi have stepped up as candidates for the position of driver representative. The MIA are mostly behind this plan and is supporting the drivers, though who knows how this will tip the balance of power in times to come :roll:

Para Troopa's great success has come with its own pitfalls. Shortly after the Mushroom Cup, in the fallout over the crash, Troopa was charged by an anonymous source over alleged warcrimes committed during the 1980s. Upon re-entering the Mushroom Kingdom, he was immediately arrested and will, needless to say, not be reappearing for the Flower Cup.

The first candidate now gone, this has meant that the unlikely candidate of DK Jr's son, Donkey Kong III, has been announced as taking his father's place at the team. At the age of 18, he is the youngest alt-Mario Kart driver ever, and his presence will put extra pressure on the MIA to instigate further safety measures in the coming Cups. With his father's car a write-off, DK III will inherit Para Troopa's chassis at the Flower Cup. Wario has been promoted by his teammate and title rival Bowser to full works status at the BMW team, in an act of admirable sportsmanship by the Koopa King.

Stay tuned for more.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Upgrades requested:
2 grip
2 quali
2 setup
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Mario shall make two engine upgrades; if the first succeeds, the second upgrade shall instead be a tyres upgrade.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Luigier will spend 6pts (3 upgrades) on engines, the same on tyres and the remaining 1pt on grip
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Mario would like to donate one token to Toad for the Big Push. :deletraz:
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Kongjima Engineering would like to spend:

• 3 points on aero
  • 1 point on grip
  • 2x2 points on engine
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Five candidates have stood for nomination to be MKDA representative. They are, in order of declaration:

Peach Toadstool - "I , Peach, will declare my candidacy to reduce safety - as a plot to kill mario and get alimentation and heritage money. If you're not prepared to die for your country, you have no place in mario kart"

Luigi Mario - "I will also run for this position, primarily as a spoiler candidate to divide the Mushroom Kingdom voter base, but also to suggest reducing the engine power of the karts to improve safety. Perhaps going to a new lower capacity engine formulae would help prevent future tragedies like this, although of course it'll mean everyone will have to develop new engines from scratch"

Mario Mario - "I declare my candidacy to exclude the lowly, peasantly, upper-middle class from Mario Kart. If I don't win, I intend to withdraw from the MKDA."

Bowser Koopa - "As the reigning World Champion and teammate of DK Jr., I will run for the position of MKDA president as well. I also want to remind all the drivers, that I am the only candidate which isn't in it to gain an advantage, or for the memes."

Yoshi Munchakoopas - "I also wish to run and remind everyone I remain scandal free despite the libellous efforts of "Princess" toadstool who despite her position has not at all royal behaviour. I will also run on a campaign of liberalized steroid use for competitors."

We'll have all the updates on this hotly contested election as it comes.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Well my official stance is 'if you're not prepared to die for your country, you have no place in mario kart'' in a sense of bringing back the heraldic spirit of old.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Butterfox wrote:Well my official stance is 'if you're not prepared to die for your country, you have no place in mario kart'' in a sense of bringing back the heraldic spirit of old.
The full quote has been added :D
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It was a long and arduous process with a second round of votes, but in the end it was Yoshimura Munchakoopas who became the drivers' representative, with 7 votes to 5 at the end.

Following his election, the dinosaur had his inaugural briefing with the MIA, where after many scones, croissants and tea, they decided that in the spirit of keeping The Show alive, instead the racing would not be changed, but the pre-Cup scrutineering. This scrutineering will be far stricter* than before, and so the drivers will have to watch out that they don't get banned.

*It was found that DK Jr's brake wire had been severed in 17 different places, but this evidence was thrown out of court as being irrelevant.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The MIA is now asking that all drivers get their updates in at a reasonable time before Tuesday evenings CET, when each Cup is held, to give enough time for scrutineering/bribing to take place.

Scrutineering will be thorough, and if a car is not found to be safe, it will not likely make the Flower Cup. Updates not done in time will have to wait until the following Cup.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

I already posted DK the third's upgrades.