Nelson Piquet, how long will he last?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
LukeB

Nelson Piquet, how long will he last?

Post by LukeB »

The start of the season, always a good time to make predictions/wild guesses.

God knows how he managed to keep his seat in the first place, maybe he has pictures of someone in a compromising situation (I don't suppose he has any of Mosley we haven't already had the misfortune of being exposed to, maybe Briatore and/or Bernie :shock: ) but how long will he keep it? If he's still got a race drive in F1 by Hungary I'll eat my proverbial hat.
Making up the numbers
Cynon

Re: Nelson Piquet, how long will he last?

Post by Cynon »

He'll last the entire season, but that's because Fernando Alonso needs a weak teammate that will troddle along in the back in order to make himself look better than he really is. A reject in disguise if I ever saw one, doesn't deserve his seat, but will probably keep it. Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi are far more deserving of the #8 car at Renault.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Briatore seems to believe in the talent of Nelsinho. Yes, he showed that he's got what it takes to drive a racing car at several points during the last season, which were positive surprises (Hockenheim, Magny-Cours, Fuji). But "Team Briatore" has always disregarded the driver in the 2nd car as some kind of a B-driver who didn't get access to the data gained by the A-driver. It is no surprise that Nelsinho as a rookie was struggling in that kind of climate last year.
Still, with his biggest flaw being the rather long amount of time it takes him to get comfortable at and adapt to a new circuit, maybe F1 isn't the best series for him. I dare saying that he would have a bright future ahead of him in NASCAR, or if he doesn't find a drive there, maybe Brazilian stock cars?
Still, it is to his benefit that he fits in well with the team.
Renault really have a problem of not enough driving talent in their ranks. After Alonso left, they upgraded Kovalainen, only to lose him to McLaren in exchange for getting back Alonso. So they upped Nelsinho to the 2nd race seat. But they didn't hire an experienced guy as a test driver, and still haven't. Do Briatore and Franck Montagny not get along anymore, or why hasn't he been called in again to help out last year? And why was Sakon Yamamoto only allowed to do straight line testing?
Renault must stick with Nelsinho throughout the year if they don't want to let another rookie into their car.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Yannick wrote:Renault must stick with Nelsinho throughout the year if they don't want to let another rookie into their car.

I think that's quite a good point, actually. I was going to say that I would be absoultely gobsmacked if Piquet lasted past half-way through the season, but I think more driver instability at Renault, especially in their second car, would not really help matters. Renault really needs to figure out who in their driver program would be best alongside Alonso, otherwise they won't be leading the pack again for a long while.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I think Nelson will be sacked about halfway through the season, to be replaced by Di Grassi. He won't be a threat to Alonso, especially not in his first ten races. And if the Renault doesn't improve big time, Alonso will be gone for 2010, so Renault may want to give a somewhat talented youngster some track time.
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Yannick wrote:And why was Sakon Yamamoto only allowed to do straight line testing?

Because his head would fly off in fast corners! :lol:
Not Pedro Lamy.
wombat

Post by wombat »

How long he survives will depend on how well he can crash and get Alonso into the lead. One or two successful safety car periods and he will retain his seat
---------------------------------------------------
going bacwards up the escape road at Amaroo park hillclimb in a Brabham Holbay is enough to convince you that you are a F1 (or F3) reject
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I would consider Nelsinho's biggest flaw to be his arrogance. Throughout GP2 in 2006, he in general just seemed to be TRYING to tick me off.

And I must take exception to Cynon; I believe that Piquet is at Renault for the sole purpose of preventing an Alonsoplosion like at McLaren in '07. If Alonso has such a horrendous driver for a teammate(or seat filler, as I prefer to refer to Piquet), he can't complain and can't take Flav's star away again.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Robbie wrote:I would consider Nelsinho's biggest flaw to be his arrogance. Throughout GP2 in 2006, he in general just seemed to be TRYING to tick me off.

And I must take exception to Cynon; I believe that Piquet is at Renault for the sole purpose of preventing an Alonsoplosion like at McLaren in '07. If Alonso has such a horrendous driver for a teammate(or seat filler, as I prefer to refer to Piquet), he can't complain and can't take Flav's star away again.

I agree with both points. Cynon is right about di Grassi providing much better ability in the second Renault. What di Grassi did last year in GP2 was the stuff that earns a GP seat.

Piquet will last the season for the reasons outlined by Cynon and Robbie. His retirement at Albert Park, despite a full season under his belt, was pure inexperience ;)
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
SennaStraight

Post by SennaStraight »

The fact that daddy Piquet was there there this weekend told me that Piquet was under pressure from Renault and after a poor race, if Piquet doesn't step up his game, Renault could easily replace him very soon into the season, depending on what his contract says.
Murray - "First man out is Marques in the Arrows. Of course he's going out early to generate some media interest"
Martin - "I'm sure he would generate some interest if he went out in the Arrows because Marques drives for Minardi"
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

I thought his retirement and subsequent excuse was a major case of idiocy of his part. Of course he was having issues with his brakes... He had just come out of a safety car period, and his spin was entirely his own fault, you could see Nico getting out of the way (probably just to be careful as it was Nelsinho, and also his brakes weren't up to temp either!!) and then Piquet just dumps it.

He had better get some results soon, even if they are just finishes nevermind points, or else I can see Flavio ramming the sword of Damacles that is hanging over Nelson's head right into his stupid brain!!

One more thing to show up how poor his retirement was... Kazuki 'Crashajima''s accident was not his fault and was clearly a surprise to him and to us watching as he was running really well, but Piquet's was even more inevitable than that! That's how low my estimation of him at the moment is!
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
ZBF1

Post by ZBF1 »

he will last till europe then be replaced by Ayrton Senna eh no sorry i mean Bruno Senna, its just everyone thinks he will continue the Ayrton legacy :lol: :lol: :lol:

piquet showed all last season he was pish and hes shown it again yesterday
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Answering to the point, Piquet Jr. will last as long as he can give Renault some sponsorers and $$$$$$$. If he can get that Renault will keep him, as you know ING are withdrawing at end of this season!!!!!!!!! :D
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
KSvt

Post by KSvt »

I hope he lasts the season, because every GP grid needs an overconfident, undercompetent driver for laughs (e.g., Eddie Irvine).
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

KSvt: Agreed! Piquet is filling Ralf Schumacher's shoes.
Not Pedro Lamy.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

KSvt wrote:I hope he lasts the season, because every GP grid needs an overconfident, undercompetent driver for laughs (e.g., Eddie Irvine).

haha that made me chuckle :lol:

lets all face it, pretty much no-one expected him to be on the grid yet he is...

during qualifying it was he and the torro rosso's and force india's that went out of Q1...

he clearly isn't up to the job, he's only racing because his dad's made millions selling sat navs and has probably thrown some of that money at Briatore, that and the fact that his name also happens to be quite famous, much like a certain Bruno Senna...

i think he'll last the season though, although Bernie says that there will be 26 cars on the grid in 2010 so we might get a desperate outfit looking for someone with an inkling of F1 experience that might pick him up! I hope he hangs about just so that we can laugh at someone every weekend!! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
KSvt

Post by KSvt »

You're right, Ralf is a better comparison for Nelsinho than Irvine!
jonnyeol

Post by jonnyeol »

Flavio is more than happy to get shot of any driver that falls out of favour. He did it to JJ Lehto, he did it to Jarno Trulli and nearly did it to Johnny Herbert before his British GP win.

The comment that Alonso doesn't want another competitive teammate is a touch dated. The likes of Senna in the mid-80s Lotus Team could get away with it, when he managed to get Johnny Dumfries as a teammate instead of Derek Warwick. This was in a team where, in the words of Clive James 'even the portaloo was set up for Senna'.

Nowadays, teams can't do that. Too much TV money rides on Constructor Championship standings. They need two contributing drivers. Whilst sponsorship or backing from manufacturers can help sign contracts (Nakajima for Williams), the days of the out-and-out pay-driver have largely gone.
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
Revelo

Post by Revelo »

I agree that Piquet will see out the season. if only to keep Alonso's ego inflated. I think thats where Piquet has stumbled to, by being put with Fernando and since it was at Renault everyone expected him to deliver results fast, but even so his still not good enough for F1.
BB01

Post by BB01 »

Pedro wrote:
Yannick wrote:And why was Sakon Yamamoto only allowed to do straight line testing?

I think that every time i hear his name mentioned :lol:

I suspect the marketing boost that the son of a former champion gives a team is probably the big reason he held his seat this year. That said, if they are planning to ditch him for a rookie for next year, i see no point in keeping him past about race 12 of the season. They may as well stick their new guy in for a few races to get acclimatised.
Revelo

Post by Revelo »

BB01 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I think that every time i hear his name mentioned :lol:

I suspect the marketing boost that the son of a former champion gives a team is probably the big reason he held his seat this year. That said, if they are planning to ditch him for a rookie for next year, i see no point in keeping him past about race 12 of the season. They may as well stick their new guy in for a few races to get acclimatised.

Bruno Senna maybe? I don't know if he is any good or not mind. :lol:

Still, Nelson was great on the track but we all know well enough his attitude off the track. Seems like he and his son switched those roles when jr. joined up.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I don't see why teams won't give someone like Vitantonio Liuzzi a shot here. Honestly, he's shown much more talent than Piquet has, at least in my opinion...
Bort

Post by Bort »

thehemogoblin wrote:I don't see why teams won't give someone like Vitantonio Liuzzi a shot here. Honestly, he's shown much more talent than Piquet has, at least in my opinion...

Screw Liuzzi. Bring back Frentzen!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Bort wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:I don't see why teams won't give someone like Vitantonio Liuzzi a shot here. Honestly, he's shown much more talent than Piquet has, at least in my opinion...

Screw Liuzzi. Bring back Frentzen!

Agreed. For the Motherland!

(and pardon me for relating to the discussion)
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

It's how Flav works things out. One sterling driver (Schumi/Alonso), a host of B-Drivers to be support and to highlight the sterling driver's general godlike status. Which, with Schumi and Alonso is fair enough, because neither could tolerate a really good team-mate. Think of Herbert, Barrichello, Fisichella, now Piquet. He's not THAT bad, he's just outmatched by Alonso, and has the mental toughness and concentration of a city pigeon. I think if he was at Force India, he'd beat Fisi or Sutil, if at Williams would only be slightly behind Rosberg and ahead of Naka.
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Renault have often worked on a one man team. This is very noticeable with Schumacher and Alonso. The choice suited both of them and I think Piquet is there to be a solid number two. However he has been anything but and has been kept on probably for stability and the fact that he has improved over the last half of 2008. Be it from atrocious to just bad. If he keeps it up at this rate he will have a handful of points by mid season which is not acceptable.

I can't help but think that Bruno Senna will be in Piquet's seat by the end of the season.

Stuart
- http://www.formula1-blog.co.uk
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'm gonna be brave and say that Nelsinho will be removed by Budapest. Which is round 10 this year rather than round 12 or 13
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Right, I'll bite the bullet and give my own wild prediction: Nelsinho out before Monaco, Sato (?!) in his seat. Alonso immediately starts a silly conflict with team and leaves to occupy Kimi's place in Ferrari before Budapest, while the Finn is busy chasing another bottle of Smirnoff around the pit lane. Hey, could happen... :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Sato is indeed the most likely driver to get into a race seat, in case one becomes available by another driver being dropped by a team. I still wonder why he hasn't been named as RBR and Toro Rosso's official reserve driver. Maybe not to put too much pressure on Buemi and Bourdais?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Yannick wrote:Sato is indeed the most likely driver to get into a race seat, in case one becomes available by another driver being dropped by a team. I still wonder why he hasn't been named as RBR and Toro Rosso's official reserve driver. Maybe not to put too much pressure on Buemi and Bourdais?

Just speculating, but I wonder of that's why he hasn't signed up for other category yet?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

He's planning to contest selected IndyCar events this year, apparently. Red Bull's official reserve driver will be Brendon Hartley when he gets his Superlicence; until then, it's still DC's job!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Nelsinho sure talks the talk:

Q: How are you finding the pressure?
NP: This is not easy to answer. The Melbourne track did not suit me so well, so this race will be a good showcase and test for myself. I want to qualify well, and if possible even ahead of Fernando (Alonso).

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... /9116.html

Out-qualify Alonso? Hmmm, not getting my money.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Yannick wrote:Sato is indeed the most likely driver to get into a race seat

Oh god, tell me this isn't a cruel joke! :D
Making up the numbers
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

LukeB wrote:
Yannick wrote:Sato is indeed the most likely driver to get into a race seat

Oh god, tell me this isn't a cruel joke! :D

Cruel joke would be either Perry McCarthy or Yuji Ide.
Jimmy Magnusson

Post by Jimmy Magnusson »

Ralf Schumacher would be a good replacement, eh?
Bort

Post by Bort »

LukeB wrote:Oh god, tell me this isn't a cruel joke! :D

Sato is a great driver, far more deserving of a drive than half the field currently racing.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Bort wrote:Sato is a great driver, far more deserving of a drive than half the field currently racing.

I think you misunderstand, Takus my favourite driver hence if Yannick is joking about his possible return it'd be cruel for getting my hopes up.
I'm not sure if he's particuly deserving of a drive, but I'd much rather have alternating-wildly-between-great-and-awful Taku then just plain awful Piquet.
Making up the numbers
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I've never understood the love for Sato, and while Piquet may be just as bad when it comes to mistakes and retirements, he at least has some results to back him up. His spin at the Australian Grand Prix was probably caused by brake failure - as opposed to 'brake failure' being used to explain away driver error - because he was going straightwhen it happened.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I think we all have to eat our words. Piquet has gone faster than Alonso in both Friday practice sessions at Sepang. But honestly he's gonna find the wall at some point.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

It's quite hard to find the wall in Sepang, although I suppose that Fisichella did manage to do it all by himself. The only other drivers I can remember hitting the barriers here are Olivier Panis in 1999 and Johnny Herbert in 2000.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck