9%
The Pre-Race Show
18%

Total votes: 22

TomPryce

2023 Miami GP ROTR

Post by TomPryce »

1) Formula 1.

I have really tried to love this season. I finally got back into the sport in 2020 and although Merc were still very good, there were genuine signs of actual competition happening.

How wrong I was.

There is something fundamentally wrong if one team can totally dominate. There has not been a genuinely competitive season of several constructors for over 10 years, and I think this race has finally led me to give it up. I am genuinely gutted. It just doesn't feel special any more.

I only say this as the only one who deserves the nod is De Vries for his first lap lock up. Nothing else deserved it.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Londoner

Re: 2023 Miami GP ROTR

Post by Londoner »

1. 2022 Miami Grand Prix. Exactly the sort of race Liberty Media deserve in their biggest market.

2. Charles Leclerc. More like Choke Leberk, amirite?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Charles Legreg.

The state of Florida for existing.
Message me on Discord.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

McLaren 17th & 19th. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. McLaren, they've shown that Baku was a false dawn.
  2. Leclerc, even though he saved us from yet another Max pole, he just looked lost all weekend.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Leclerc/Ferrari: dire all race, plus Leclerc crashing in Q3

McLaren: absolutely nowhere this weekend
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

TomPryce wrote: 07 May 2023, 20:54 1) Formula 1.

I have really tried to love this season. I finally got back into the sport in 2020 and although Merc were still very good, there were genuine signs of actual competition happening.

How wrong I was.

There is something fundamentally wrong if one team can totally dominate. There has not been a genuinely competitive season of several constructors for over 10 years, and I think this race has finally led me to give it up. I am genuinely gutted. It just doesn't feel special any more.

I only say this as the only one who deserves the nod is De Vries for his first lap lock up. Nothing else deserved it.
Can't really disagree, I'm at the stage now where watching races is just a chore. A seemingly never ending amount of races and sprint races, each as mind-numbingly inevitable as the last. I really tried getting back into F1 around 2018, when Ferrari seemed to be able to take the fight to Mercedes, and 2021 was a decent season, but Christ alive the last season and a half has been dreadful by and large.

Also lol at de Vries and Toro Rosso for clicking "buy it now" on a 27 year old who'd never had sniff of F1 before on the back of him getting 10th at Monza in an ultra low-drag car.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Charles Leclerc - Seemed weirdly off-beat all weekend. Obviously there was that crash during quali and than he just could not pass K-Mag and make it stick to save his life for a shockingly long amount of time. Lack of confidence?

This sums it up quite nicely

Martin Brundle I know some of us complain about the commentators a lot, but holy shite after a race with Karun with Baku, this race just stood out in just how boring Brundle sounded throughout the whole race, to a point where I realized mid-race that it had effectively become this annoying buzzing noise in the background. I'm convinced that Brundle's commentatory activately made the race seem worse than it actually was.

Lance Stroll - Nothing much to say here other then Alonso P3, Stroll Nul Points.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- The State of F1. Christ that was bad. Again. No yellow flags, the Drs trains and how dominating Red Bull is. Absolute joke.

2 Charles Leclerc. Another Race weekend to forget. Feels a very long time since he was a contender for a wdc.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Stroll to be out of the points when his teammate is on the podium was just about the only thing standout here.

Yes and the state of F1 but what can you do, punish someone for being good and give them weight penalties like they used to in Touring Cars? But 2002 and 2004 were very similar and I think we all complained then too!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Actually I'll elaborate - I feel 2002 WAS worse. Ferrari were able to play games then like trying to stage a dead heat, switching at the last minute in Austria, and other games like slowing down then catching up again such as Hungary, or will they/won't they at Nurburgring. At least on this occasion Checo is allowed to race Max far more than Rubens was to Schumi.

Something that could make it more interesting in ban Red Bull from using DRS to still allow the other teams to use it :-)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Lance Stroll: Apart from some overtakes, just a bad weekend for him. Qualifying 18th with your team mate second is awful, and he didn't do anywhere near enough to climb to the points.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Well on results it has to be Mclaren for the team prize.

HM for Leclerc all weekend and Stroll on the day.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1: Charles Leclerc. Crashed not once, but twice in the same spot. A complete off weekend for Charles.

2: McLaren. What the hell has happened?

HM1: Announcers forcing the 'Perez is fighting for the championship' Narrative. I know Perez was on the wrong strategy, but Max was fast on 30-lap-old versions of the same tire.

HM2: Hard Tires. Just get rid of them. They are turning every race into a M-H or H-M one stop procession.
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote: 07 May 2023, 21:36 Actually I'll elaborate - I feel 2002 WAS worse. Ferrari were able to play games then like trying to stage a dead heat, switching at the last minute in Austria, and other games like slowing down then catching up again such as Hungary, or will they/won't they at Nurburgring. At least on this occasion Checo is allowed to race Max far more than Rubens was to Schumi.

Something that could make it more interesting in ban Red Bull from using DRS to still allow the other teams to use it :-)
On the other hand, after five races in 2002, we'd at least seen another team manage to win a race - Williams taking a 1-2 finish in Mayalsia.

That said, as it stands, the gap between Verstappen and the next non-Red Bull driver, which is Alonso, is almost as big, relatively speaking, as the gap between Schumacher and the next driver in the championship back in 2002 after five rounds. It also looks as if Verstappen currently has a bigger points lead over the next non-Red Bull driver than any Mercedes driver had over a non-Mercedes driver during the period when people complained that Mercedes was too dominant over the sport.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Charles Leclerc: Has not made a great showing of himself so far this season and this weekend was a particularly bad case of underperformance.

2) Florida: America's appendix. Get rid of this race, please.

Dishonourable Mention: McLaren: Back down to the dregs after a couple of more reasonable showings in previous races.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Street tracks. Four out of five thus far and they’re not terribly conducive to racing.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. The Rookies - Nyck rammed into Norris, Logan had a 48 second stop, and Piastri had a system brake issues. That's not fun times.

2. Lance Stroll - Awful qualifying and couldn't make an impact in the race.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

mario wrote: 07 May 2023, 22:19
James1978 wrote: 07 May 2023, 21:36 Actually I'll elaborate - I feel 2002 WAS worse. Ferrari were able to play games then like trying to stage a dead heat, switching at the last minute in Austria, and other games like slowing down then catching up again such as Hungary, or will they/won't they at Nurburgring. At least on this occasion Checo is allowed to race Max far more than Rubens was to Schumi.

On the other hand, after five races in 2002, we'd at least seen another team manage to win a race - Williams taking a 1-2 finish in Mayalsia.

That said, as it stands, the gap between Verstappen and the next non-Red Bull driver, which is Alonso, is almost as big, relatively speaking, as the gap between Schumacher and the next driver in the championship back in 2002 after five rounds. It also looks as if Verstappen currently has a bigger points lead over the next non-Red Bull driver than any Mercedes driver had over a non-Mercedes driver during the period when people complained that Mercedes was too dominant over the sport.
I had just remembered that Ferrari were still using their 2001 car for Malaysia so that must be a factor - I know Michael and JPM were both delayed at the start after their incident but Ralf did have Rubens beaten (and they both had clean races) before the latter retired. Once Ferrari had their 2002 car on hand, they only lost Monaco and that was possibly only because you can't overtake there. But I can see similar happening this year.

Other factors I hated about 2002 were that it was the first full season without Murray Walker, no Hakkinen meant the rival Michael most respected was gone (he seemed to view Coulthard, JPM and his brother with disdain as credible championship rivals and it was too early for the likes of KImi, Alonso and Button yet) and also the disappearances of Prost and Arrows (I know Toyota started to replace one of them but they were BORING). And all the podiums shared between 3 teams except for Jaguar at Monza, but I can only see 4 teams getting podiums this year unless there's a freak race.

Maybe a tyre war would help this year!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Has Leclerc's head gone down?
2. Nothing.

HM's. The general comments made by all - I agree.
That's the 2023 season over - only double DNF's by RB will give the rest some crumbs from the table.
Commentary that contrives excitement that isn't there.
It would help if the FIA had some teeth, but the loonies running the asylum will always be the status quo.
There was some real racing yesterday - BTCC at Brands Hatch.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The Miami Hype: An utter abomination of a spectacle. The forced hype is cringeworthy to the nth degree. Plus security guards trying to manhandle Jackie Stewart. This definitely isn’t the F1 I knew and loved in the 2000’s and early 2010’s

Charles Leclerc: Remember when he led the championship after Miami last year? Nah me neither.

HM: McLaren: That’s got to be their worst ever double finish surely? Not even 2015-17 plumbed that low. Norris must be gutted he committed his future to this corpse of a team

HM: Lance Stroll: The “it’s Alonso in the other car” excuse doesn’t really cut it when you qualify 18th and finish 13th
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The Miami GP - Two bathplugging awful years. Just ditch this and keep Vegas, which at least will look cool lit up at night.

Pirelli - Remember two weeks ago when Michelin said they won't join F1 because the tyres fall apart too fast? What the hell sport are they watching? The hards go 45-50 laps every week. This is approaching 2010 Bridgestone levels now.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

The Miami GP - We have another American reject track for our collection. Caesars Palace, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, and now Miami.
With Vegas stealing the spotlight, this one just looks silly. Overpriced everything, less-than-ideal TV direction, a shortage of on-track action and their so-called "entertainment" routines make this, dare I say, a bigger clown show than Ferrari ever could be. This track absolutely deserves to have the same fate as Valencia.

Minus a genuinely entertaining race at its last hurrah, Miami is Liberty's clone of Valencia.

And there better not be a million more of them on the way :x
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Batty

Post by Batty »

I don't agree with Miami GP nomination tbqh. It doesn't feel like actual rejectfulness. The driver presentation/introduction is just what they do and won't be there for Imola or further races. It was just for a bit of fun and some people had fun, some didn't. Plus the race was dull but again it wasn't rejectful like everything ran smoothly.

IMO it does feel some of these nominations are going against what was F1 Rejects would do. 2023 Season has been meh but not the worst thing and this race was meh but again not the worst thing. We've had worse races like in India or in Spain. It feels like we're like more going towards what social media, Reddit or like people on Autosport would say rather than being all about the rejectfulness and seeing midfield battles and Nyck being bad. I also get that F1 has changed a lot in that the most rejectful team right now is literally Haas and that's not even that rejectful and Liberty Media is going in a different direction compared to what was done before and there are problems with that but also good things.

Charles being absolutely all over the shop, Lance being bad, and the Rookies finishing bottom 3, feels a lot more rejectful than the race, the season and Miami trying to do their own thing.

That's my take.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Batty wrote: 09 May 2023, 02:32 I don't agree with Miami GP nomination tbqh. It doesn't feel like actual rejectfulness. The driver presentation/introduction is just what they do and won't be there for Imola or further races. It was just for a bit of fun and some people had fun, some didn't. Plus the race was dull but again it wasn't rejectful like everything ran smoothly.

IMO it does feel some of these nominations are going against what was F1 Rejects would do. 2023 Season has been meh but not the worst thing and this race was meh but again not the worst thing. We've had worse races like in India or in Spain. It feels like we're like more going towards what social media, Reddit or like people on Autosport would say rather than being all about the rejectfulness and seeing midfield battles and Nyck being bad. I also get that F1 has changed a lot in that the most rejectful team right now is literally Haas and that's not even that rejectful and Liberty Media is going in a different direction compared to what was done before and there are problems with that but also good things.

Charles being absolutely all over the shop, Lance being bad, and the Rookies finishing bottom 3, feels a lot more rejectful than the race, the season and Miami trying to do their own thing.

That's my take.
I think this is fair. In terms of on track action, this was probably the best race of the season so far. My personal issue is that the whole "Miami-ness" made it difficult for me to care about any of it (interesting paradox to me that this is a bigger turn-off than the atrocities of countries like Saudi but that's a conversation for another time). I realise that's something exclusive to myself though - I try to take a more "objective" approach when it comes to my nominations. Charles had an awful weekend. It's a thing that pops up now and again like in France where despite being generally brilliant he has some truly amatuerish moments and this weekend was packed with them.

So yeah, you're not alone in that take. I can empathise with a lot of the discourse surrounding the current direction of F1 but a lot of it seems hyperbolic and doesn't fit with, what I consider anyway, the ethos of what we talk about.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Can I change my nomination to Anthony Davidson? It appears he was trying to toe the Sky company line and continue the "Red Bull hates Checo" narrative by claiming Perez was refused information on the gaps as Max ran his strategy. Which would be fine......if the public didn't have access to the driver radios. Checo was receiving info all race long. As usual, no apology or condemnation will occur.
Last edited by Wallio on 09 May 2023, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Row Man Gross-Gene

Wallio wrote: 09 May 2023, 16:37 Can I change my nomination to Anthony Davidson? It appears he was trying to toe the Sky company line and continue the "Red Bull hates Checo" narrative by claiming Perez was refused information on the gaps as Max ran his strategy. Which would be fine......if the public didn't have access to the driver radios. Checo was receiving info all race long. As usual. no apology or condemnation will occur.
I'm not following the commentary that closely, but I remember that statement and it felt to me like a mistake more than purposeful. In everyday life I notice things that seem like a pattern and I'll say it looks like X is happening and someone will point out I need to expand my window. I can accept that it is purposeful on Davidson's part, but it just didn't seem that way to me.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 09 May 2023, 16:56 I'm not following the commentary that closely, but I remember that statement and it felt to me like a mistake more than purposeful. In everyday life I notice things that seem like a pattern and I'll say it looks like X is happening and someone will point out I need to expand my window. I can accept that it is purposeful on Davidson's part, but it just didn't seem that way to me.
It is still just such an obvious thing to get wrong though, and then not correct. It'd be the same as claiming Checo was out on inters. We all have the data (and the radios) we know that's not true. If it was a mistake, ok fine, stuff happens. But correct yourself later on. And Sky has earned themselves absolutely no benefit of the doubt whatsoever with their antics.

Row Man Gross-Gene

Wallio wrote: 09 May 2023, 17:24
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 09 May 2023, 16:56 I'm not following the commentary that closely, but I remember that statement and it felt to me like a mistake more than purposeful. In everyday life I notice things that seem like a pattern and I'll say it looks like X is happening and someone will point out I need to expand my window. I can accept that it is purposeful on Davidson's part, but it just didn't seem that way to me.
It is still just such an obvious thing to get wrong though, and then not correct. It'd be the same as claiming Checo was out on inters. We all have the data (and the radios) we know that's not true. If it was a mistake, ok fine, stuff happens. But correct yourself later on. And Sky has earned themselves absolutely no benefit of the doubt whatsoever with their antics.
Well, doing a correction later would be what a good journalist would do, I'm not sure we can qualify the Sky F1 team as journalists.

-Jamie McGregor

mario

Post by mario »

Batty wrote: 09 May 2023, 02:32 I don't agree with Miami GP nomination tbqh. It doesn't feel like actual rejectfulness. The driver presentation/introduction is just what they do and won't be there for Imola or further races. It was just for a bit of fun and some people had fun, some didn't. Plus the race was dull but again it wasn't rejectful like everything ran smoothly.
On the contrary, Liberty Media have confirmed that Miami is only the first of many races that will feature some sort of driver presentation/introduction ceremony. Although they've not released the full list, they originally proposed that six or seven different venues would have the same sort of event, although now that may be increasing to eight races this season.

To that end, the FIA has even changed the sporting regulations to extend the pre-race starting procedures by an additional 10 minutes so that “at certain races, this additional time will be used for the presentation of the drivers to the fans”.

This is not just specifically for Miami, but something that Liberty Media wants to make a relatively frequent event throughout the year. If, out of the remaining eighteen venues, another seven will hold a similar event, it means nearly 40% of the remaining races this season will see a similar pre-race show.
noiceinmydrink wrote: 09 May 2023, 09:14So yeah, you're not alone in that take. I can empathise with a lot of the discourse surrounding the current direction of F1 but a lot of it seems hyperbolic and doesn't fit with, what I consider anyway, the ethos of what we talk about.
It may be in part because, in some of the comments that Domenicali has been making earlier this year, he's come across at times as, at best, taking a bit of a snobbish attitude towards "avid fans", and in some cases leaning more towards contempt. The frustrated and rather tetchy responses probably reflect a section of the fan base that feels that Liberty Media has a condescending attitude towards them and may be on the way to making the dangerous play of alienating the more loyal fans just as the surge in interest from more casual fans starts to fade - there are a few reports suggesting a slight weakening in viewing figures in the US so far this year.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Votes are up! As always, 48 hours to decide your Reject of the Race from Miami. :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FalconCapelli

Post by FalconCapelli »

Charl Leg: Poor Charl he got bonked by ferrari managment all the time...
World's biggest Alpine and Chip Ganassi Racing Fan :dance:

Alt Mario Kart: Chunky Kong + Koopra Kids Kongsortium
Alt Crash Team Racing: Koala Kong + Pentacific
Copa Marlboro: Juan Carlos Elano + Elano Motorsport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l