Hypothetical Hypercar Trios

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dinizintheoven

Hypothetical Hypercar Trios

Post by dinizintheoven »

I just had a random thought, though I've probably had it before, what with that other thread about rejects and never-got-a-chance-in-F1 drivers getting to drive for a hypothetical broke team that needed a driver quickly...

With the recent explosion in the Hypercar category in the WEC, and Antonio Giovinazzi joining the ranks of less-than-successful F1 drivers who have taken on Le Mans and triumphed, who might be next among the current and recent F1 ranks?

Here are some potential trios, some with reserve drivers or alternative choices:

"The Pay Drivers We Love To Hate"
Rumours are circulating that Aston Martin might make a Hypercar version of the Valkyrie, which if true must mean that Dad is getting impatient with Lance Stroll and his not-Alonsoesque performances which might cost AM a place in the Constructors' Championship, and some extra cash. Why not go all in and team him with Nicholas Latifi and everyone's favourite Russian, Nikita Mazepin and see if they can conquer Circuit de la Sarthe between them? Two of them have never threatened to conquer F1, but tell that to Volker Weidler, Yannick Dalmas, André Lotterer, Kazuki Nakajima, and Johnny Dumfries if he wasn't dead...

"Ferrari-Engined Drivers Get To Drive A Real Ferrari"
Nico Hülkenberg has been there, done it and has a 100% win record at Le Mans. He might fancy a second shot once his time comes to an end at Haas, because it's likely to be sooner rather than later when a Ferrari academy driver comes knocking. Likewise, Valtteri Bottas probably isn't going to be at Saubfer Romeo by the time Audi take over completely, and as a 10-time F1 winner there's no reason he shouldn't do well in the WEC. For a third driver who's been with one team or the other, Rrrrrmmmnn Grrrrrjjjjnnn is busy in 'MURICA, and we do not mention a certain generously-eyebrowed Mexican, so it's between two drivers who are both involved in LMP2 this season: take your pick between Robert Kubica and Pietro Fittipaldi.

"What Do You Mean, I Can't Drive Alongside HRH Lord Sir Lewis Hamilton, His Name Be Praised?"
Mick Schumacher is well and truly out of the Ferrari clutches and into those of the team his famous dad tried to make a comeback with. Pascal Wehrlein is busy trying to win Formula E to add to his DTM trophy and, in a different world, might have had the Merc drive in 2017 instead of Bottas - who might just as well fit into this category himself. Again, we do not mention the generously-eyebrowed Mexican who has also been involved with Mercedes, and even though Jérôme d'Ambrosio has been lurking in the Merc garage recently, I'd assume he's given up driving to take whatever role he has there. So a left-field choice for the third driver is Jack Aitken, who has been in the last two Le Mans 24 Hours, but doesn't have a full-time WEC drive and his Merc-powered F1 career is probably going to be remembered by even fewer people than Fittipaldi v4.0's was. Or, if you prefer to be as interesting as a glass of milk, Paul di Resta is involved with the Hypercar class right now, trying to get Peugeot to the sharp end.

"Chewed up and spat out by the Red Bull meat mincer"
First, the one who won't be getting the drive: Daniel Ricciardo, so it seems, is finally happy being second in the queue to be Max's patsy in perpetuity after leaving Red Bull to escape that exact fate. I would tell him to stop wasting his time, but he has only himself to blame as he wasn't badly handled by Horner, Marko or the Red Bull talent crusher. Right now, Sébastien Buemi and Brendon Hartley, with six WEC championships and seven Le Mans wins between them, are cruising serenely at the top of this year's championship with Ryo Hirakawa alongside them at Toyota, so how about this for an alternative "stiffed by the Red Bull machine" line-up: Jean-Éric Vergne, who does have a Hypercar drive, and is probably pinning his hopes on Peugeot coming good as they have before, Daniil Kvyat, who lost his wife to Max Verstappen as well as his Red Bull drive... what does he have to do to catch a break? - and, to nobody's surprise, Nyck de Vries is going to get kicked to the sidelines over the summer so he'll be perfect to complete The Dream Team.

"The Piercarlo Ghinzani Award Because Being In F1 In An Osella Is Better Than Not Being In F1 At All"
This is slightly violating the "recent F1 drivers" rule as we have to go back to 2016 at the latest, hence I've added it last, and if your surname is Lotterer or Kobayashi, you may ignore this one and carry on in your current car. It's really just an excuse to mention Giedo van der Garde - one entry and one win in LMP2 this year - and team him with Will Stevens, who's pottering around in one of the mediocre Hypercar entries. As for a third driver from the moribund ends of Fondmetal Team Malaysia or Manorvirginmarussiamanor, Rio Haryanto doesn't look to be doing much (and may have given up racing), so it'll be between Roberto Merhi, who has just thrown in his lot with Mahindra in Formula E just as they've hit the back of the field, and Alex Rossi, who seems to be doing fine back home in the Land Of The Free (Litigation Aside) And The Home Of The Leaf-Spring Suspension.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Har1MAS1415

Re: Hypothetical Hypercar Trios

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dinizintheoven wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 22:39 I just had a random thought, though I've probably had it before, what with that other thread about rejects and never-got-a-chance-in-F1 drivers getting to drive for a hypothetical broke team that needed a driver quickly...

With the recent explosion in the Hypercar category in the WEC, and Antonio Giovinazzi joining the ranks of less-than-successful F1 drivers who have taken on Le Mans and triumphed, who might be next among the current and recent F1 ranks?

Here are some potential trios, some with reserve drivers or alternative choices:

"The Pay Drivers We Love To Hate"
Rumours are circulating that Aston Martin might make a Hypercar version of the Valkyrie, which if true must mean that Dad is getting impatient with Lance Stroll and his not-Alonsoesque performances which might cost AM a place in the Constructors' Championship, and some extra cash. Why not go all in and team him with Nicholas Latifi and everyone's favourite Russian, Nikita Mazepin and see if they can conquer Circuit de la Sarthe between them? Two of them have never threatened to conquer F1, but tell that to Volker Weidler, Yannick Dalmas, André Lotterer, Kazuki Nakajima, and Johnny Dumfries if he wasn't dead...

"Ferrari-Engined Drivers Get To Drive A Real Ferrari"
Nico Hülkenberg has been there, done it and has a 100% win record at Le Mans. He might fancy a second shot once his time comes to an end at Haas, because it's likely to be sooner rather than later when a Ferrari academy driver comes knocking. Likewise, Valtteri Bottas probably isn't going to be at Saubfer Romeo by the time Audi take over completely, and as a 10-time F1 winner there's no reason he shouldn't do well in the WEC. For a third driver who's been with one team or the other, Rrrrrmmmnn Grrrrrjjjjnnn is busy in 'MURICA, and we do not mention a certain generously-eyebrowed Mexican, so it's between two drivers who are both involved in LMP2 this season: take your pick between Robert Kubica and Pietro Fittipaldi.

"What Do You Mean, I Can't Drive Alongside HRH Lord Sir Lewis Hamilton, His Name Be Praised?"
Mick Schumacher is well and truly out of the Ferrari clutches and into those of the team his famous dad tried to make a comeback with. Pascal Wehrlein is busy trying to win Formula E to add to his DTM trophy and, in a different world, might have had the Merc drive in 2017 instead of Bottas - who might just as well fit into this category himself. Again, we do not mention the generously-eyebrowed Mexican who has also been involved with Mercedes, and even though Jérôme d'Ambrosio has been lurking in the Merc garage recently, I'd assume he's given up driving to take whatever role he has there. So a left-field choice for the third driver is Jack Aitken, who has been in the last two Le Mans 24 Hours, but doesn't have a full-time WEC drive and his Merc-powered F1 career is probably going to be remembered by even fewer people than Fittipaldi v4.0's was. Or, if you prefer to be as interesting as a glass of milk, Paul di Resta is involved with the Hypercar class right now, trying to get Peugeot to the sharp end.

"Chewed up and spat out by the Red Bull meat mincer"
First, the one who won't be getting the drive: Daniel Ricciardo, so it seems, is finally happy being second in the queue to be Max's patsy in perpetuity after leaving Red Bull to escape that exact fate. I would tell him to stop wasting his time, but he has only himself to blame as he wasn't badly handled by Horner, Marko or the Red Bull talent crusher. Right now, Sébastien Buemi and Brendon Hartley, with six WEC championships and seven Le Mans wins between them, are cruising serenely at the top of this year's championship with Ryo Hirakawa alongside them at Toyota, so how about this for an alternative "stiffed by the Red Bull machine" line-up: Jean-Éric Vergne, who does have a Hypercar drive, and is probably pinning his hopes on Peugeot coming good as they have before, Daniil Kvyat, who lost his wife to Max Verstappen as well as his Red Bull drive... what does he have to do to catch a break? - and, to nobody's surprise, Nyck de Vries is going to get kicked to the sidelines over the summer so he'll be perfect to complete The Dream Team.

"The Piercarlo Ghinzani Award Because Being In F1 In An Osella Is Better Than Not Being In F1 At All"
This is slightly violating the "recent F1 drivers" rule as we have to go back to 2016 at the latest, hence I've added it last, and if your surname is Lotterer or Kobayashi, you may ignore this one and carry on in your current car. It's really just an excuse to mention Giedo van der Garde - one entry and one win in LMP2 this year - and team him with Will Stevens, who's pottering around in one of the mediocre Hypercar entries. As for a third driver from the moribund ends of Fondmetal Team Malaysia or Manorvirginmarussiamanor, Rio Haryanto doesn't look to be doing much (and may have given up racing), so it'll be between Roberto Merhi, who has just thrown in his lot with Mahindra in Formula E just as they've hit the back of the field, and Alex Rossi, who seems to be doing fine back home in the Land Of The Free (Litigation Aside) And The Home Of The Leaf-Spring Suspension.
What interesting ideas. Can't think of any myself at the moment but will put my thinking cap on.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Nelson Piquet Jr, Mick Schumacher and Bruno Senna to field not-so-talented F1 champion relative team.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

How recent are we actually talking anyway?
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Bleu wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 19:31 Nelson Piquet Jr, Mick Schumacher and Bruno Senna to field not-so-talented F1 champion relative team.
I'd put Pietro Fittipaldi in that line-up so it would be all Brazilians.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

"The Flying Dutchmen"

Christijan Albers, Robert Doornbos and Nyck de Vries.