Singapore GP IIDOTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate!

Poll ended at 22 Sep 2023, 07:01

Carlos Sainz Jr.
73%
Lando Norris
No votes
Liam Lawson
27%

Total votes: 15

TomPryce

Singapore GP IIDOTR

Post by TomPryce »

I mean, who else?

Lando and Sainz both stole that race. Absolutely incredible driving from both of them.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
RAK

Re: Singapore GP IIDOTR

Post by RAK »

1) Sainz: Could be almost by default for slaying the previously indomitable Red Bull beast, but it was a good drive on his own terms.

2) Lawson: Illustrating that the Red Bull Junior talent pool isn't completely depleted.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Have to acknowledge Sainz & Norris for co-operating better than most team-mates do and holding off Merc, even though it goes against my general views on IIDOTR.

Lawson and Gasly are other options.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Liam Lawson: Points in only his third race – he should get the AlphaTauri seat next year (and for the rest of the season too, to be honest). Also the toughest fight against the Red Bulls from an AlphaTauri driver since Kvyat in 2016, possibly?

Honorable mention to Sainz for breaking Red Bull's streak and outperforming Leclerc again – probably the best weekend of his career.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1 Sainz. The First non red Bull win of the year and he did it with dying tyres. Deserved a win this year.

2. Lawson. Out qualified both Red Bulls Kept it clean and got points. Danny Ric and Yuki will be very nervous now.

Hm Lando Norris. Kept both Mercs behind as well.
Hm K-mag. Points!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Sainz's nous to use Lando to get him the race win seals it, though I was very impressed by Lawson too. It would be a massive shame if he has to make way for Danny Ric when he recovers.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Sainz - his tactic with Norris was decisive in order to win
2. Lawson - first career points on a very tough circuit
Batty

Post by Batty »

1) Lawson. First GP at Singapore. His 3rd F1 race and did a great job

2) Sainz. Controlled the race really well
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr. Be real, who thought Carlos would be the one to end RB's reign of terror? Dominant and sneakily tactical drive worthy of Alain Prost, glad to see him get a much cleaner victory than his rather scruffy Silverstone win last season.

2. Liam Lawson. Points in that barge of a car. I see no reason why Ricciardo should come back to F1 after today.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1) Liam Lawson - Eliminated Max Verstappen from Q3, then scored points. Red Bull would be insane to have anyone else in that seat for this season and next

2) Ocon - Some of the best overtakes all season
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Sainz for driving not only his own car but also the three world-class cars behind him - brilliant execution (with a little help from Lando and Russell)

(2) Lawson for being very good
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 14:12 Have to acknowledge Sainz & Norris for co-operating better than most team-mates do and holding off Merc, even though it goes against my general views on IIDOTR.

Lawson and Gasly are other options.
Since I imagine that Norris and Sainz will be getting a lot of nominations, I would agree with having Lawson and Gasly - Lawson performed above expectations at a tricky circuit that he would have been unfamiliar with, whilst Gasly's 6th must have seemed fairly unlikely given that he was only 12th in qualifying.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr: How could it be anyone else? Excellent driving under immense pressure (I nominated him as IIDOTR last week for this), very quick all weekend, and having the sense to back himself into Lando to give him the DRS.

2, Lando Norris: Another excellent performance we've come to expect from Lando.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, Lawson for me as well, and let's not forget that Haas finished 10th with Magnussen. After potential trouble for Perez, it could lift AT and Haas to 8th and 9th!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Carlos Sainz: Be honest, who put their money on this guy to end the Red Bull juggernaut’s winning run? The best bit is he was THE man to beat all weekend, topping every session after a close 2nd in FP1. His tactics in the closing stages were Prost-esque for me and it makes me fear how even more lost Ferrari’s strategy team would be without him

Liam Lawson: I’ll take Londoner’s point further: I saw no reason for Ricciardo to get the seat over Lawson in the first place other than a Netflix storyline and Marketing purposes. Scoring points in only his second full weekend and he looks so at home in that car. There’s talk that it’ll be a Tsunoda/Ricciardo pairing at whatever AlphaTauri are going be to called next year and if so that’s a crying shame.

HM: Kevin Magnussen: I thought Haas would be much stronger here than in Italy given they had no low downforce wings at Monza but I didn’t expect Magnussen to qualify 6th and score Haas’s first Sunday points since Miami. A welcome return for Kev in what’s been a tough season
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

Sainz, Norris, and Lawson.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race poll is up! You have 48 hours to get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l