Wilson Fittipaldi, 1943-2024

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dinizintheoven

Wilson Fittipaldi, 1943-2024

Post by dinizintheoven »

https://ge.globo.com/motor/formula-1/no ... anos.ghtml

And the famous Brazilian racing dynasty is one down. According to Wikipedia, Wilson Fittipaldi celebrated his 80th birthday on Christmas Day by choking on some food, suffering brain damage from lack of oxygen, dying in hospital a couple of months later. A much longer life than a fair few of those who raced in his day, you might say, but it's a very un-fitting end for a racing driver.

Rejectism runs high here. Wilson, as you'll all know, was the less talented older brother of Emerson - see other examples like Ian Scheckter, Ernesto Brambilla, Corrado Fabi, the relatively more successful Ralf Schumacher, and the Brabham brother we don't talk about. Far more notable than Wilson's racing career was forming the Copersucar-sponsored Fittipaldi Automotive team, and convincing his twice World Champion brother that it would an excellent and patriotic career move to join what was effectively a Brazilian national team. As Jeremy Clarkson would say, and no doubt Emerson would agree with him, "that's not gone well". With those two titles already under his belt, Emmo was treated to his first DNQ in 1976 and two more in 1977 - at least Damon Hill had his six early baths right at the beginning of his career. And let's not forget, Fittipaldi also brought us Keke Rosberg, who failed to make the grid eight times in 1980-81 (plus six more with Thedore and Wolf before that) - only to be plucked from obscurity by Williams in 1982 and carted to the World Championship that nobody wanted to win.

One particular rejectful mis-step from the later days of Wilson's team was the Fittipaldi F8, raced by Emmo, Keke Rosberg and Chico Serra in 1980-81 to 14 DNQs, a lot of retirements and one solitary points-scoring position, a fifth place courtesy of Finnish Medallion Man the one time the Italian Grand Prix was held at Imola in 1980 (that car wouldn't have stood a chance at Monza). The designers? Harvey Postlethwaite and a very young and green Adrian Newey. Even they couldn't make that car work. And, also, let's not forget their sponsors by this time - the very nasty Skol lager, designed to be a globally-licensed brand brewed all over the world by any brewery willing to pay for the privilege of doing so and treating drinkers to one of the worst excuses for an alcoholic beverage since Carling.

It's what I do, when less-celebrated drivers die. I write an obituary with a difference. Obrigado, Wilson, we couldn't have had reject lore without you.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
temporary

Re: Wilson Fittipaldi, 1943-2024

Post by temporary »

Wilson scored a 5th and a 6th in Germany and Argentina in 1973, thereby meaning he escaped reject status by the skin of his teeth.

Interesting is that Wilson and Emmerson were the first brothers to compete together in the same race, and both times that Wilson scored, so did Emmerson. Emmerson won in Argentina, while Wilson beat Emmerson in Germany by less than 5 seconds. Source: Wikipedia.

Rest in peace.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rest in peace 'No, Not That One' Fittipaldi. As Dinizintheoven rightly shows, you definitely made your mark on F1 in your own way. And you gave us Christian too, making you guys the first Pops & Son to both score points in F1.
Just For One Day...
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

It's sad but I think you have a real knack for these obituaries, thanks for the write up dinizintheoven - RIP Wilson.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:41 the Brabham brother we don't talk about.
On a separate note, I didn't know the full story on that guy either until your post inspired me, ghoulishly perhaps, to do a bit of fact finding.

Really wish I hadn't.
Just For One Day...