Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CarlosFerreira

Re: Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

Post by CarlosFerreira »

madcat wrote:Image

Oops, how about the driver? Er, stick him next to the car.... I like the front bumper best!

What in the name of all the gods of good taste is that thing? :lol: And what's with the hands?

coops, here you go:

What those were for will forever puzzle me...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

They were for better aerodynamics and I think more downforce, in early 1998 more than half the field had those wings before the FIA banned them, simply because of their ugliness. Not sure how much good it was anyway, Alesi drove most of race with only one of those side wings (Buenos Aires???) and he finished in the points.
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:coops, here you go:
What those were for will forever puzzle me...

Actually, Ive just discovered that if you put blu-tack on your PC monitor over those X-wings then the car, in that picture, looks pretty nippy.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:They were for better aerodynamics and I think more downforce, in early 1998 more than half the field had those wings before the FIA banned them, simply because of their ugliness. Not sure how much good it was anyway, Alesi drove most of race with only one of those side wings (Buenos Aires???) and he finished in the points.

Oh, I agree they were probably for downforce. Partly they were banned for security reasons - a bit of shelving and refuelling hoses don't get along that well - but surely they brought little or no advantage when placed in that point, and the drag must have been simply horrendous.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
coops

Post by coops »

I seem to remember Ferrari building some of their own...........just in time for the ban to come into effect.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

But apart from that, this Tyrrell is far from ugly. (And it's sponsored by Paul Stoddart's "European" Aviation)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Am I the only one who thinks 1983-1984 cars were horrible?
Some samples:
-Ferrari 126 C2B/C3
-Williams FW09
-Tyrrell 012
-Toleman TG183B/TG184
-Ligier JS21
-Spirit 201 (the first Honda turbo F1 car)
-Osella FA1D
...and I ommited some of them from 1984 that were equally ugly...
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Debaser wrote:They were for better aerodynamics and I think more downforce, in early 1998 more than half the field had those wings before the FIA banned them, simply because of their ugliness. Not sure how much good it was anyway, Alesi drove most of race with only one of those side wings (Buenos Aires???) and he finished in the points.

Alesi ended up with one because the other one was taken off by the air jack tubes dangling from the garage belonging to the team in front of them in the pit lane, which is also why the X-Wing was abolished.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Phoenix wrote:Am I the only one who thinks 1983-1984 cars were horrible?

They were ugly due to the complete overhaul of the rules, 1982 was the last year of ground effect, therefore the teams had to make up for the lack of downforce by other means, case-in-point the massive rear wings, in 1982 the rear wings were very T shaped, with only one support strut, to try and keep the rear wing on the cars in 83, those side supports creating a second and third pillar linking them to the rear of each sidepod (1996-1997 anyone??) by 1985 they found better ways to control downforce and therefore removal of the sidewings.

Watching the 84 season cars, on the BBC's red button archive leading up to the grands prix of 2009, they looked like absolute beasts to me, and Murray Walker no less reminded us on his portion of the red button coverage, that the cars were producing twice the amount of power that F1 cars do today, no wonder they had to have huge wings.

I can understand your opinion Phoenix, but between 82-85 there was not a grand prix in Spain..... coincidence?? :P
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ADx_Wales wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Am I the only one who thinks 1983-1984 cars were horrible?

They were ugly due to the complete overhaul of the rules, 1982 was the last year of ground effect, therefore the teams had to make up for the lack of downforce by other means, case-in-point the massive rear wings, in 1982 the rear wings were very T shaped, with only one support strut, to try and keep the rear wing on the cars in 83, those side supports creating a second and third pillar linking them to the rear of each sidepod (1996-1997 anyone??) by 1985 they found better ways to control downforce and therefore removal of the sidewings.

Watching the 84 season cars, on the BBC's red button archive leading up to the grands prix of 2009, they looked like absolute beasts to me, and Murray Walker no less reminded us on his portion of the red button coverage, that the cars were producing twice the amount of power that F1 cars do today, no wonder they had to have huge wings.

I can understand your opinion Phoenix, but between 82-85 there was not a grand prix in Spain..... coincidence?? :P

First, I try not to be biased, OK? And second, I understand they had to do that, but that cars are ugly nonetheless :lol: Shocking comparing the ultra sleek 1978-1982 designs.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Quite a few cars from 1983 and 1984 were indeed ugly, but the period also gave us the gorgeous Brabham BT52... :D

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

midgrid wrote:Quite a few cars from 1983 and 1984 were indeed ugly, but the period also gave us the gorgeous Brabham BT52... :D

The Renault RE40 and the Lotus 94T were also decent in terms of design.
I always thought this car was shaped like a penis :lol:
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Some more X-Wings from 1998:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Speaking of 1983, and the opposite of Ugly...

I dare anyone to suggest that there was a bad Benetton livery. They were all gorgeous.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:I always thought this car was shaped like a penis :lol:

Not meaning to dwell on that comment too much, but you must have a very oddly shaped ding-a-ling.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:

Not meaning to dwell on that comment too much, but you must have a very oddly shaped ding-a-ling.

Of course it's not an exact form, but it does bear some kind of resembleance.
But enough about this. This is a family forum, for HWNSNBM's sake!
ADx_Wales wrote:Speaking of 1983, and the opposite of Ugly...

I dare anyone to suggest that there was a bad Benetton livery. They were all gorgeous.

Simple but effective.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

midgrid wrote:Some more X-Wings from 1998:

This image is simply astonishing. Truly weakening on the knees.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

ADx_Wales wrote:Speaking of 1983, and the opposite of Ugly...

Very F3-esque at the front.

As for the Brabham BT52, I must be the only person who thinks they are ugly. It just looks weird with the sidepods so far back.

Now these are proper Brabhams:

Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:

Hey, but he gets great downforce.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:
shinji wrote:

Hey, but he gets great downforce.

As I said, it was only an approximate comparison.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

That is so going to be my new desktop background
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Wizzie wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

That is so going to be my new desktop background

Already was mine :D

Looks epic.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

Brabham BT52 is to me the best looking car ever.

This might sound weird but the Williams FW15C.
The FW14B was better looking and faster.
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

The Life debacle- the First F189 car is just so ugly slow and dangous that I think that it the worse car ever!!!
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

TeamTipper wrote:This might sound weird but the Williams FW15C.

I feel really embarrassed about this because the era those two Williamses existed in was my favorite era of F1, especially techwise, but I can't really tell the difference between the two appearance-wise...
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:

I feel really embarrassed about this because the era those two Williamses existed in was my favorite era of F1, especially techwise, but I can't really tell the difference between the two appearance-wise...

The only thing I can tell between the two is the 1993 car has a blue hedghog on it
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

gnrpoison wrote:
Reverie Planetarian wrote:

The only thing I can tell between the two is the 1993 car has a blue hedghog on it

Yes, Williams was sponsored by Sega in 1993 and Sonic's legs featured on the side of the cockpit. The winner of the European GP at Donington also received a trophy of Sonic holding a smaller trophy.

Another easy-to-spot difference between the two Williams chassis is that the tyre regulations changed for 1993. The FW15C thus has noticeably narrower rear tyres than the FW14B.
--Nigel Roebuck
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

An easy way to tell the FW14B and the FW15C apart (from the front) is the protuberances over the front suspension on the FW14B. That was because of the conversion of the conventional suspension of the FW14 to the active suspension of the FW14B.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Barbazza wrote:I must be the only person who loves the Tyrrell P34 then - that picture looks quite recent so is probably the car I saw in the museum at Coventry as the blurb next to it said it was still being raced.

That's the car that was raced up until very recently in the Thoroughbred Grand Prix championship by Mauro Pane. It's a different chassis from the one that Martin Stretton raced.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Phoenix

Re: MaCatte Antivirus 2009??how can i remove it?

Post by Phoenix »

Qarlcom wrote:i have a e machines g720 model and it crashes while working or watching videos. then i have to shut down the computer from the turn of button on the top. any suggestion. i tried registry cleaner. (ccleaner) i don't have any virus because the first time I bought this laptop is started to freeze and I tried every single anti virus software but no luck please help me 10 stars if someone helps me

Throw the computer through the window. Definately informatics aren't for you.
dr-baker

Re: MaCatte Antivirus 2009??how can i remove it?

Post by dr-baker »

Qarlcom wrote:. then i have to shut down the computer from the turn of button on the top. any suggestion.

i got suggestion . use grammer more good and use more better punctuation. then go to a flamin' papaya appropiate forum which talks about computers, not motor racing you motherbathplugging reject... :lol: :lol: :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Surely, beyond any doubt, THIS is the UGLIEST of all Non-Reject Car Designs within this forum.

If I wanted to see Jet-Shaped things I'd watch Top Gun

This is the monstrousity made by Delta Wing, who probably belong in the aerospace industry, not the motorsport industry.

If it does hit the tracks, its going to hit the outside wall trying to take the same turning circle as the planet earth.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

It is incredibly ugly and will work even worse on road tracks than on ovals (I would assume, at least).
A someone who started being interested in racing in the mid 90ies when CART was an incredibly interesting series with extremely entertaining races and a few rather good drivers it pains me deeply to see what American open wheel racing has come to.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Looks bloody dangerous too - imagine side on t-bone impacts...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ADx_Wales wrote:Surely, beyond any doubt, THIS is the UGLIEST of all Non-Reject Car Designs within this forum.

This is the monstrousity made by Delta Wing, who probably belong in the aerospace industry, not the motorsport industry.

If it does hit the tracks, its going to hit the outside wall trying to take the same turning circle as the planet earth.

One of the basis of the contest was to design a car that could run equally well both on ovals and conventional circuits. I don't see this running on a conventional circuit, but it may work on ovals. It's strangely nice for me as well.
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

Phoenix wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:Surely, beyond any doubt, THIS is the UGLIEST of all Non-Reject Car Designs within this forum.

One of the basis of the contest was to design a car that could run equally well both on ovals and conventional circuits. I don't see this running on a conventional circuit, but it may work on ovals. It's strangely nice for me as well.

It would definitely work on ovals, but I wouldn't want to take one on a circuit.

Odd, this car looks more presentable from different angles. I guess angles that downplay its length and the fact it looks like an unfortunate crossbreeding between the Bloodhound SSC and the Mercedes-Renard '94 car...

...and for anyone who said the BT52 was phallic, get an awful eyeful of the Delta Indycar concept from THIS angle!
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:...and for anyone who said the BT52 was phallic, get an awful eyeful of the Delta Indycar concept from THIS angle!

Yes, I said the Brabham BT52 (and the BT53) was phallic, and, well, this is quite evil-shaped as well :lol:
Caleb86

Post by Caleb86 »

i never liked this one!

Mclaren MP4/10 1995
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Caleb86 wrote:Image

i never liked this one!

Mclaren MP4/10 1995

is that Ralph Firman driving in that picture???
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Caleb86 wrote:Image

i never liked this one!

Mclaren MP4/10 1995

is that Ralph Firman driving in that picture???

Yeah it is.

And that car looks bloody awful too.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image