My Rejectful Karting

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alianora La Canta

My Rejectful Karting

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I'm not sure where exactly this belongs, but this seems to be the best sub-section for it.

I organised a karting competition last night in Birmingham and karted in it. In true F1 Rejects fashion, I managed to come 22nd out of 22 competitors. I didn't make the final because the threshold for that was 19 points and I only managed 12 (noting that it was possible to get 1 point simply for starting each of the five heats and there were bonus points for gaining/not losing positions from your original slot).

Apparently, the main problem was that I had the throttle and brake either completely on or completely off. My somewhat rock-ape-like driving could be attributed to the fact that I haven't figured out how to spot the middle ground yet.

Oh well, there's always next time...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Rejectful Karting

Post by Nessafox »

HWNSNBM is proud of you for that result!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm disappointed in you... you couldn't buy your way back onto the grid, in TRUE reject fashion? :lol:

In all honesty, it happens... you'll do better next time, or in a different kart.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well, it could have been worse IMO. What if there were 23 drivers instead of 22? ;)
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I went karting once in Belgium at an online racing league get-together. I was pretty slow but as we were running in teams of two drivers and I was paired with my then girlfriend (who had never driven anything in her life and was petrified) we ended up last more laps behind the leaders than I can remember. It was so crushing that comparisons were made to Deletraz etc.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

MikeH wrote:I went karting once in Belgium at an online racing league get-together. I was pretty slow but as we were running in teams of two drivers and I was paired with my then girlfriend (who had never driven anything in her life and was petrified) we ended up last more laps behind the leaders than I can remember. It was so crushing that comparisons were made to Deletraz etc.

"And what is MikeH doing?" much? :D

The one time I drove a kart, I was called "unimpressive". I went with a friend and we teamed against the local bigshots, which resulted in being comprehensively whooped. The guys said I looked scared, and qualified me as "potentially a safe pair of hands", should I practice - a bit of a Heidfeld, see. Mind you, they classified my friend as "outright idiot", for always piling up maximum speed into every single corner, and washing wide off the apexes. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

MikeH wrote:It was so crushing that comparisons were made to Deletraz etc.

So be thankful to your then girlfried for enabling you to reach this highest honor of rejectdom!
Before anyone complains: It IS the highest honor - no one would dare to be hope to be compared to HWNSNBM
fondmetal-fond

Post by fondmetal-fond »

Over my karting days, I've done the following:
1. Stall on starts
2. Stall after spins
3. Forget to shift for straights
4. Take hairpins at higher gear than straights (see above)
5. Power slide on straights (which occasionally led to...)
6. Losing control (in the dry) on straights (which often led to...)
7. Stalled and pointing the wrong way on straights.

But I am amazing compared to my once -teamate: We chose him because with a name like Nelson Hunt, surely he must be hardcore, right? At a regional championship, he spun, then rejoined the track going the wrong way . I never asked him, but he may be a Nelsinho Hunt (the corresponding race stoppage by the officials due to his wrong way antics did not help me gain positions, but you never know). All I know is, if there's a guy named Michael Stewart who wants in on our team, I'm heading for stock car racing (while stalling, obviously).
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

fondmetal-fond wrote:Over my karting days, I've done the following:
1. Stall on starts
2. Stall after spins
7. Stalled and pointing the wrong way on straights.

But I am amazing compared to my once -teamate: We chose him because with a name like Nelson Hunt, surely he must be hardcore, right? At a regional championship, he spun, then rejoined the track going the wrong way . I never asked him, but he may be a Nelsinho Hunt (the corresponding race stoppage by the officials due to his wrong way antics did not help me gain positions, but you never know). All I know is, if there's a guy named Michael Stewart who wants in on our team, I'm heading for stock car racing (while stalling, obviously).

Epic. There's no other word, really.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The few times I went karting, I was pretty good, actually, begging the question why I'm posting this in a rejectful karting thread, but anyway. Once I started 2 laps down, but still won, lapping an average of half a second faster than anyone else. I was also about 11 at the time, everyone else being about 18 or 19. The only time I lost was because a group of karts braked far too early for the opening switchback, on the racing line, as I was coming up to lap them. Evidently they must've seen themselves as acting in the spirit of Jean-Louis Schlesser or something, because that was the only race I lost. And then just barely.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

These are the 4 race meetings I did last year (non-championship) the previous year I was in a Junior championship which is ironically much more serious, hence why in the JKC I never got beyond the C final.

My name is Darren Older by the way.

http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/32420?cha_ref=142&eve_ref=5330 (Lack of Competitive people) 4th
http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/32420?cha_ref=142&eve_ref=4912 7th, 1 win
http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/32420?cha_ref=142&eve_ref=4908 11th, 1 win
http://www.buckmore.co.uk/content.php/32420?cha_ref=142&eve_ref=4978 (Stuck in tire wall lap 1)

sadly my best friend is Jack Mace, who got a podium in both the middle ones. He does like to rub it in :S

Following that pace kart home after a race win is an amazing feeling, I don't think I can find the cash to do this year though.

My wet weather driving is rejectful to the extreme, on the 1200m track I was 6 seconds a lap of the leader :S
Message me on Discord.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Alianora La Canta wrote:I'm not sure where exactly this belongs, but this seems to be the best sub-section for it.

I organised a karting competition last night in Birmingham and karted in it. In true F1 Rejects fashion, I managed to come 22nd out of 22 competitors. I didn't make the final because the threshold for that was 19 points and I only managed 12 (noting that it was possible to get 1 point simply for starting each of the five heats and there were bonus points for gaining/not losing positions from your original slot).

Apparently, the main problem was that I had the throttle and brake either completely on or completely off. My somewhat rock-ape-like driving could be attributed to the fact that I haven't figured out how to spot the middle ground yet.

Oh well, there's always next time...

If I knew you were in Birmingham, I would have came to watch you, were you at Birmingham Wheels or Teamworks.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alianora La Canta

I'm disappointed in you... you couldn't buy your way back onto the grid, in TRUE reject fashion? :lol: {thehemogoblin - 3rd comment from top}

No. But since I organised the event in the first place and broke even, I do get to arrange to have another go at some other time. At the moment that means Birmingham same time next year and, likely, a summer karting event further north.
Alianora La Canta

Well, it could have been worse IMO. What if there were 23 drivers instead of 22? ;) {Phoenix - 4 comments from top}

Funnily enough there were supposed to be 23 but one had transport problems. But that would be like Luca Badoer getting excited about coming last because Michael Schumacher was injured...
Alianora La Canta

I went karting once in Belgium at an online racing league get-together. I was pretty slow but as we were running in teams of two drivers and I was paired with my then girlfriend (who had never driven anything in her life and was petrified) we ended up last more laps behind the leaders than I can remember. It was so crushing that comparisons were made to Deletraz etc. {MikeH - 5 comments from top}

Last year, I got lapped twice every single heat and had a fastest lap in the final of over 10 minutes (there were so few attendees that everyone got into the final automatically). This year, I didn't get lapped once, which pleased me. OK, my kart broke down once and got embedded into the wall in another heat, but that's karting for you...
Alianora La Canta

The one time I drove a kart, I was called "unimpressive". I went with a friend and we teamed against the local bigshots, which resulted in being comprehensively whooped. {CarlosFerreria - 6 posts from top}

I can vouch for that making things tough. It turned out later that one of the people on the podium was a local expert on the track, another had raced karts for a couple of years in the distant past and the winner is headed to British Formula Ford this year. Being defeated by them made sense. It was being beaten by my brother who hasn't touched a kart since he spent 2 1/2 minutes in one at a local theme park 11 1/2 years ago that was galling (OK, he's learned to drive a road car and I haven't, but still...)
Alianora La Canta

Over my karting days, I've done the following:
1. Stall on starts
2. Stall after spins
7. Stalled and pointing the wrong way on straights. {fond-fondmetal - 9 posts ago}

I've done 2, 6 and 7 before. 3 and 4 would be fairly difficult since I've never driven a kart with a gearbox. I am however impressed with 1 and 5 (especially 5 as I struggle to power slide deliberately through corners, let alone be good enough to accidentally do it on a straight...)
Alianora La Canta

If I knew you were in Birmingham, I would have came to watch you, were you at Birmingham Wheels or Teamworks. {redbulljack14 - 6 posts ago}

That's a pity - if I'd have known you'd come and watch, I'd have invited you. It was at Birmingham Teamworks (I didn't even know Birmingham Wheels existed) because as far as I know, it's the closest venue to Autosport and the organisation is good.

On the bright side, the Birmingham trip will be an annual event because quite a few of my F1 blogging/posting/commenting friends like the idea of combining the Autosport show with some karting. If that's too long in the future, I'm also working on a summer karting event a bit further north. If you like, I can post details when I know what exactly the details will be.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora La Canta wrote:I'm disappointed in you... you couldn't buy your way back onto the grid, in TRUE reject fashion? :lol: {thehemogoblin - 3rd comment from top}

No. But since I organised the event in the first place and broke even, I do get to arrange to have another go at some other time. At the moment that means Birmingham same time next year and, likely, a summer karting event further north.

See

Alianora La Canta wrote:Well, it could have been worse IMO. What if there were 23 drivers instead of 22? ;) {Phoenix - 4 comments from top}

Funnily enough there were supposed to be 23 but one had transport problems. But that would be like Luca Badoer getting excited about coming last because Michael Schumacher was injured...

how

Alianora La Canta wrote:I went karting once in Belgium at an online racing league get-together. I was pretty slow but as we were running in teams of two drivers and I was paired with my then girlfriend (who had never driven anything in her life and was petrified) we ended up last more laps behind the leaders than I can remember. It was so crushing that comparisons were made to Deletraz etc. {MikeH - 5 comments from top}

Last year, I got lapped twice every single heat and had a fastest lap in the final of over 10 minutes (there were so few attendees that everyone got into the final automatically). This year, I didn't get lapped once, which pleased me. OK, my kart broke down once and got embedded into the wall in another heat, but that's karting for you...

easy

Alianora La Canta wrote:The one time I drove a kart, I was called "unimpressive". I went with a friend and we teamed against the local bigshots, which resulted in being comprehensively whooped. {CarlosFerreria - 6 posts from top}

I can vouch for that making things tough. It turned out later that one of the people on the podium was a local expert on the track, another had raced karts for a couple of years in the distant past and the winner is headed to British Formula Ford this year. Being defeated by them made sense. It was being beaten by my brother who hasn't touched a kart since he spent 2 1/2 minutes in one at a local theme park 11 1/2 years ago that was galling (OK, he's learned to drive a road car and I haven't, but still...)

it

Alianora La Canta wrote:Over my karting days, I've done the following:
1. Stall on starts
2. Stall after spins
7. Stalled and pointing the wrong way on straights. {fond-fondmetal - 9 posts ago}

I've done 2, 6 and 7 before. 3 and 4 would be fairly difficult since I've never driven a kart with a gearbox. I am however impressed with 1 and 5 (especially 5 as I struggle to power slide deliberately through corners, let alone be good enough to accidentally do it on a straight...)

is

Alianora La Canta wrote:If I knew you were in Birmingham, I would have came to watch you, were you at Birmingham Wheels or Teamworks. {redbulljack14 - 6 posts ago}

That's a pity - if I'd have known you'd come and watch, I'd have invited you. It was at Birmingham Teamworks (I didn't even know Birmingham Wheels existed) because as far as I know, it's the closest venue to Autosport and the organisation is good.

On the bright side, the Birmingham trip will be an annual event because quite a few of my F1 blogging/posting/commenting friends like the idea of combining the Autosport show with some karting. If that's too long in the future, I'm also working on a summer karting event a bit further north. If you like, I can post details when I know what exactly the details will be.

to quote?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Alianora La Canta wrote:If I knew you were in Birmingham, I would have came to watch you, were you at Birmingham Wheels or Teamworks. {redbulljack14 - 6 posts ago}

Sign me up, surely by this time next year I'll have the £5 to catch the Megabus down there from Glasgow :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

See how easy it is to quote {thehemogoblin - two posts ago}

Sorry Alianora, that is one thing that kind of annoys me about your posts. Perfect in every way but that.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:See how easy it is to quote {thehemogoblin - two posts ago}

Sorry Alianora, that is one thing that kind of annoys me about your posts. Perfect in every way but that.

I wholly agree.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just in case you haven't worked out how to do it, there's a box in the top-right-hand corner labelled "Quote". Click on this and hey presto! Your uncle will have his name changed by deed poll to Robert. (Bob's your uncle, in other words). :o :)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alianora La Canta

thehemogoblin, the way you used quotes there made your post almost completely unreadable to me (all I could see from that was a load of brown boxes and the word "See") - which is basically why I don't use them myself*. I have the same problem on the Planet-F1 forum, which I suspect uses the same forum engine.

* - Well, some of the other fora I use have found the reference to what point in the conversation the quote was made useful and I find my own quoting method translates better across forum engines (especially for the partial quotes I do relatively frequently), but if you were going to find the method non-annoying on those grounds, I don't think you'd have bothered to comment.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

The other day I went to a Indoor Kart Hire whilst I was on holiday and it turns out that I have recently been listening to too many F1 Rejects podcasts, due to my attempts to re-enact famous reject incidents. I ended up crashing into the pitlane tyre wall and spinning on the warm up lap as well as a few other minor incidents. But the most rejectful incident was when I swerved to let a faster kart through and ended up hitting the wall :lol: .
This is a cool spot.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I suppose I can make an exception for you, Alianora.

Nobody else get ideas though. She's better than most of you.
coops

Post by coops »

Hah, the last time I entered a kart race I managed to finish a mighty 2nd!!!

Of course that was 1983 and I was only 10 years old but still...

Techincally I was a bit like Ayrton Senna in that my dad paid for me to race (50p).
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Alianora La Canta

I suppose I can make an exception for you, Alianora. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

Thank you very much. This makes it a lot easier for me to use the forum *hug*
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Alianora La Canta wrote:That's a pity - if I'd have known you'd come and watch, I'd have invited you. It was at Birmingham Teamworks (I didn't even know Birmingham Wheels existed) because as far as I know, it's the closest venue to Autosport and the organisation is good.

Is there a minimum age for this or not? Teamworks is a great karting track, I've been there a few times. One time, I spun at the hairpin and had to go halfway up the straight backwards before I could spin myself the right way. How rejectful of me.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I suppose I can make an exception for you, Alianora. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

Thank you very much. This makes it a lot easier for me to use the forum *hug*{Alianora, some time ago, not willing to count}

What is this physical contact business? What do I do? What do I do?!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

[quoting the last post]

Thank you very much. This makes it a lot easier for me to use the forum *hug*{Alianora, some time ago, not willing to count}

[end quotation]

How do I get in on this physical contact business? Do I want to? Does it only involve hugging?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:I suppose I can make an exception for you, Alianora. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

Have you never hugged anyone? You open your arms, and then you surround with them the chest of the person in question.
Jesus, I never thought people here had such a negligible social life :lol:
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Phoenix wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:I suppose I can make an exception for you, Alianora. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

Have you never hugged anyone? You open your arms, and then you surround with them the chest of the person in question.

What is this "social life" that you speak of?
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:

Having a social does not necessarily equate to a fluency in hugging.

(BTW I now feel really guilty about using quotes :? )
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Maybe they're social rejects.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora, have you, by chance, tried doing ctrl-a and highlighting everything? Maybe that would help you to read it.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

RejectSteve wrote:What is this "social life" that you speak of?

Nothing special, really. You can still breath without it.
shinji wrote:Having a social does not necessarily equate to a fluency in hugging.

It was a way of speaking.
Alianora La Canta

thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago wrote:Alianora, have you, by chance, tried doing ctrl-a and highlighting everything? Maybe that would help you to read it.

*tries it out*

You know what? It does!

Does this mean I can use quotes like everyone else and not feel like a hypocrite now?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Alianora La Canta wrote:
thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago wrote:Alianora, have you, by chance, tried doing ctrl-a and highlighting everything? Maybe that would help you to read it.

*tries it out*

You know what? It does!

Does this mean I can use quotes like everyone else and not feel like a hypocrite now?

Being unable to read something due to whatever is not the definition of a hypocrite. Means all the other threads and people's quotations should be accessible to you. Hurrah!
MCard LOLA
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora La Canta wrote:

*tries it out*

You know what? It does!

I can easily follow the conversation now! Yay!

I'm glad it worked.