Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dragonsteincole

Re: Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

Post by dragonsteincole »

watka wrote:I've mentioned it somewhere before, but touring car door-banger Anthony Reid was very close to getting into F1.

Just read that tiny snippet it has about that, and it's still enough to make me feel gutted for him. It's not like most other cases where the test didn't go well or there was only the illusion of the drive. This was actually "We want you to drive for us." :(
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

dragonsteincole wrote:
watka wrote:I've mentioned it somewhere before, but touring car door-banger Anthony Reid was very close to getting into F1.

Just read that tiny snippet it has about that, and it's still enough to make me feel gutted for him. It's not like most other cases where the test didn't go well or there was only the illusion of the drive. This was actually "We want you to drive for us." :(

He might have done OK. Those early Jordans weren't too bad in the right hands.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

eagleash wrote:
dragonsteincole wrote:

He might have done OK. Those early Jordans weren't too bad in the right hands.

The 1992 and 1993 cars were absolute shockers...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

coops wrote:Good one. Nannini was a real wasted opportunity. Hows about Fabrizio Barbazza; I could never work out what happened to him. Or his hair. It was huge.

I'm here! Thanks for the vote of support. My hair needs no support as it has plenty already.

PS Not really.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Phoenix wrote:The 1992 and 1993 cars were absolute shockers...

92 was terrible
93 only looked kind of wierd, Capelli did not do a good job, neither did Boutsen, but Barichello and Irvine got the team pointing in the right direction after the total disaster the previous year.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Barbazza wrote:
coops wrote:Good one. Nannini was a real wasted opportunity. Hows about Fabrizio Barbazza; I could never work out what happened to him. Or his hair. It was huge.

I'm here! Thanks for the vote of support. My hair needs no support as it has plenty already.

PS Not really.

Here's an avatar for you.

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
mrtsbrother

Post by mrtsbrother »

Awesome driver pairing at their current age/ability - Mr B Eccleston and Mr F Briatore :D
coops

Post by coops »

Greg Moore.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Of the American drivers I would have liked to see Al & Bobby Unser (the 60s ones) given more of a go. I think Bobby tested for f1 but nothing came of it.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Waris

Post by Waris »

How funny, just earlier today I was thinking it would be interetsting to see Dario Franchitti in F1 and now I see this thread.

This site is getting an awful lot of "Internal Server Error"s, btw.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Waris wrote:How funny, just earlier today I was thinking it would be interetsting to see Dario Franchitti in F1 and now I see this thread.

This site is getting an awful lot of "Internal Server Error"s, btw.

Trouble is F1 history is littered with drivers who are successful in America but not in F1, only Villeneuve & Mario have done well both really for only one year & under achieved thereafter. Montoya turned out to be a bit of a liability despite the spectacle he occasionally provided.

America's best F1 drivers don't seem to have the Indy/champ/cart background.
coops

Post by coops »

Don't forget the likes of Da Matta, Zanardi, and of course, Bourdais. Its almost unbelievable how far of the pace they generally were considering their Indy/Champ car successes.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
elho

Post by elho »

Can Artam
Chanoch Nissany
Gil de Ferran
Ryan Briscoe
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

His brother made Terrorhurtz for Robot Wars???!!! Most of my childhood memories are of F1 and Robot Wars, I was a fanatic. I'm now a massive fan of his, f**k you Eddie for not giving him that drive!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Paul Warwick

It would have been interesting to see how he fared in one of the F1 seasons his brother was in, which would mean 1993 would have been the only time, unfortunately due to the fates, Paul never got the oppertunity.

RIP.
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 23 Jan 2010, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Thanks very much for the avatar Shinji - it's perfect! I'd been looking for one for ages with no success...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Barbazza wrote:Thanks very much for the avatar Shinji - it's perfect! I'd been looking for one for ages with no success...

Berry welcome ;)
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Geoff Brabham, just to see if he could fare better than his brothers. David wasn't too bad in my opinion and Gary can't really be judged as he was driving a Life.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Randy Mamola......just to see if he can run alongside a speeding F1 car holding on to the wheel & hopping in & out like he did with a bike................
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Greg Moore
Paul Tracy
Al Unser Jr
Will Power
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Bernd Maylander
Kelvin Burt
Oliver Gavin
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sebastien Loeb. He did test a Torro Rosso once, but from what I heard, he doesn't qualify for a superlicence. (Despite being a seven time going on eight WRC champion.)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Nuppiz wrote:
eagleash wrote:
dragonsteincole wrote:Speaking of characters, it would have been interesting to see Paul Tracy mixing with the long faces in the paddock.

I think Paul Tracy tested for Williams sometime in the 90s......if I remember rightly before the test he "all but had the drive", but it didn't go as well as planned & afterward it was as if it hadn't taken place?

Well, at least he tested for Benetton in 1994:

Wow. I say one gets better/tougher looking with age.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Marc Hynes
Will Power
Klaus Graf
Marc Goossens
Greg Moore
Elton Julian
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
mario

Post by mario »

DOSBoot wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sebastien Loeb. He did test a Torro Rosso once, but from what I heard, he doesn't qualify for a superlicence. (Despite being a seven time going on eight WRC champion.)

That is correct - the idea of having him test one of the Toro Rosso cars during the post season test sessions was that he'd complete over 300km in an F1 car, which in theory should have proved he was capable of handling one of those cars. However, there were a few issues with Loeb's application - for a start, essentially no experience with open wheeled cars (which seemed to be the main sticking point with the WMSC).
And even though Loeb has driven at the Le Mans 24 Hours in a LMP1 car (and his team finished 2nd overall, just behind one of the Audi R10's), he did say that, when asked about the idea recently, that his physical fitness was probably not quite high enough to drive at full speed for an entire race weekend. After all, if he was on the grid now, at 37 he'd be the third oldest driver there (only Schumacher and Barrichello, at 42 and 38 respectively, would be older, and Trulli almost the same age (about 4 months younger)) - it might not be impossible to match the fitness of the current drivers, but it'd have been harder, and clashed too much with his duties in rallying.

Anyway, speaking of the licences, here are the licence requirements for a super licence, according to Appendix L of the FIA's regulations on International Drivers licences:
5. Qualifi cation and conditions of issue for the Super Licence
The FIA Formula One Driver Super Licence is issued by the FIA.
5.1 Qualifi cations
5.1.1 The driver must be the holder of a current FIA International Grade A licence.
5.1.2 The driver must also satisfy at least one of the following requirements:
a) have made at least 5 starts in races counting for the FIA Formula One World Championship for Drivers the previous year, or at least 15 starts within the previous 3 years.
b) have previously held the Super Licence and have been the regular test driver with an F1 World Championship team for the previous year.
c) have been classified, within the previous 2 years, in the first 3 of the final classification of: the F2 Championship, or the International F3 Trophy, or the GP2 Series, or the GP2 Asia Series or the Japanese F/Nippon Championship,
d) have been classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the Indycar IRL series within the previous 2 years,
e) be the current champion of one of the following:
- Formula 3 Euro Series
- The principal national F3 championships of: Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Spain
- World Series F/Renault V6
N.B.: the title of Champion is considered valid for 12 months from the last race of the relevant series or championship season.
f) be judged by the FIA to have consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars, but with no opportunity to qualify under any of c) to e) above. In this case the F1 team concerned must show that the applicant has driven at least 300 km in a current Formula One car consistently at racing speeds, over a maximum period of 2 days, completed not more than 90 days prior to the application and certifi ed by the ASN of the country in which the test took place.
By exception, if supported by the FIA Safety Commission, the FIA World Motor Sport Council may approve the issue of the Super Licence to persons judged by the Council to have met the intent of the qualification process.

So, looking at the regulations, Loeb will hold licence Grade R (which is used for FIA rallying and hill climbing events), and given that he briefly drove in the French GT championship, at some point he must have held a Grade B licence (which covers GT racing).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Me, although i'm young, and have plenty of time. :lol:
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Talking about rally drivers: François Duval, would probably crash out of 90% of the races and win the other 10% in a dominating way.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Whislt on the subject of Rally drivers, I've always had a soft spot for Tommi Makkien, so it would have been great to see him in F1. He seemed to be an honest guy, who would have told it like it was & not told the usual corporate bull. I recall he tested the Williams in 1998 & clearly loved the experience.

Would have also liked to have seen Marcus Grönholm, purely to see what funny lines he might come up with after a race. Immediately after one rally SS, he said to a reporter the classic line of... "a stone when up Timo's (his Co Driver) ass".

Finally gotta wish Will Power was in F1 purely for the comical value of his name...here's just one example "Will Power gets rewarded by Virgin" :lol:
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

golic_2004 wrote:Marc Hynes

Superb driver and it's such a shame his career fizzled after winning the British F3 championship. He's the test driver for FV10 now.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

mario wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Anyway, speaking of the licences, here are the licence requirements for a super licence, according to Appendix L of the FIA's regulations on International Drivers licences:
5.1 Qualifi cations
5.1.1 The driver must be the holder of a current FIA International Grade A licence.
a) have made at least 5 starts in races counting for the FIA Formula One World Championship for Drivers the previous year, or at least 15 starts within the previous 3 years.
b) have previously held the Super Licence and have been the regular test driver with an F1 World Championship team for the previous year.
c) have been classified, within the previous 2 years, in the first 3 of the final classification of: the F2 Championship, or the International F3 Trophy, or the GP2 Series, or the GP2 Asia Series or the Japanese F/Nippon Championship,
d) have been classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the Indycar IRL series within the previous 2 years,
- Formula 3 Euro Series
- The principal national F3 championships of: Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Spain
N.B.: the title of Champion is considered valid for 12 months from the last race of the relevant series or championship season.
f) be judged by the FIA to have consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars, but with no opportunity to qualify under any of c) to e) above. In this case the F1 team concerned must show that the applicant has driven at least 300 km in a current Formula One car consistently at racing speeds, over a maximum period of 2 days, completed not more than 90 days prior to the application and certifi ed by the ASN of the country in which the test took place.
By exception, if supported by the FIA Safety Commission, the FIA World Motor Sport Council may approve the issue of the Super Licence to persons judged by the Council to have met the intent of the qualification process.

So, looking at the regulations, Loeb will hold licence Grade R (which is used for FIA rallying and hill climbing events), and given that he briefly drove in the French GT championship, at some point he must have held a Grade B licence (which covers GT racing).

So its seem much harder to enter F1 now, Kimi Raikkien wouldnt be able to get a superlicence then
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

GroupLotusRenault wrote:
mario wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Anyway, speaking of the licences, here are the licence requirements for a super licence, according to Appendix L of the FIA's regulations on International Drivers licences:

5.1 Qualifi cations
- Formula 3 Euro Series

So its seem much harder to enter F1 now, Kimi Raikkien wouldnt be able to get a superlicence then

Specially because you cannot do f) at any time you want as it was possible back then. You can only do this when the rookies test come by at the end of the season. Or hope that one team might be generous enough to concede them time during pre-season testing... You might though be hired as a driver for a team and do this process during pre-season. One must be hired first though, which, given the current lack of money, a big briefcase full of it might suffice. Hell, I was a billionaire I would buy myself a seat! :P
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Perry McCarthy. He was at least as good as Blundell,Brundle or Herbert in the Brat Pack and tested for Benetton,putting in some good times,but they'd got Schumacher. If he'd been given a team that was capable of putting all four wheels on the car in the right spot and pointing it in the right direction,he'd have done well.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Richard Hammond, he tested a Renault F1 car from 2005. Ok didnt do the best, but would of done much better then a certain man in 2008-2009 who I wont say his name :evil:
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Desire Wilson
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Robby Gordon, his abilities at passing made Mansell and Kobayashi look insignificant.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Valentino Rossi???

From an Aussie side,
Peter 'Perfect' Brock,

and just for the name, Will Power
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

David AGS wrote:Valentino Rossi???

and just for the name, Will Power

two brilliant ideas there.

also, Adrian Fernandez and Jimmy Vasser. I can see a theme developing here.
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but Paul Tracy.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I watched some International F3000 races and one name which stood out sometimes was Rob Nguyen. Australian driver with Vietnamese descent he started his racing career quite late but quickly went rised to F3000. Had money problems and quickly disappeared.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I think that Tomáš Enge is the guy who should have had his second chance. When he debuted in Italy '01, he had very little experience in driving the AP04.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like he's ever going to be back in single-seaters.