Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ferrarist

Re: Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

Post by Ferrarist »

In my opinion, two-times DTM champion Timo Scheider should have had a chance in Formula One. He was managed by Willi Weber, and he was rumoured for a Benetton seat in 2000. Unfortunately he never got a seat with Benetton and his relationship with Weber went to nowhere.
MIA SAN MIA!
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

I have mentioned this guy in a couple of forums, Marco Campos, when Alonso was in F3000 some time later he reminded me of Marco..
You know just now and then you see someone race and you get this feeling they were the real deal? I got that feeling with Marco. Sadly missed......
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Tom Kristensen, the most successful Le Mans driver of all time.

Also, Bernd Schneider getting a proper chance.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

There's a fascinating article in the Sun about Terry Fullerton-who competed against Senna in about 1980/1 and was rated by Senna as one of the best drivers he'd ever competed against.He never went further than about Formula 2 because his brother had been killed racing years before.Never seen him in action,but on Senna's recommendation he sounds worth a look.You don't get rated that highly by Senna without some reason.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Jörg Müller. But he was a BMW driver when this manufacturer was not in the sport.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote:There's a fascinating article in the Sun about Terry Fullerton-who competed against Senna in about 1980/1 and was rated by Senna as one of the best drivers he'd ever competed against.He never went further than about Formula 2 because his brother had been killed racing years before.Never seen him in action,but on Senna's recommendation he sounds worth a look.You don't get rated that highly by Senna without some reason.

Bruno Senna was highly rated by Ayrton. He liked to say that Bruno was faster than him...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

valentino rossi.
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Rick Mears and Al Unser Jr
thecowboyfromhell

Post by thecowboyfromhell »

Dale earnhardt senior. He could have used his moustache to frighten people off the road in F1, rather than Nascar.
During the Canadian GP 2011:
(Footage of a bird walking about on the track during the Red Flag session)
Martin: “D’you know the species?”
David (bluffing): “Yeah, that looks like the red-shouldered blackbird to me.”
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Lewis Hamilton. I wonder how the aggresivity he's showing at the BTCC would be like in F1, and the what would be the results...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wow! He really doesn't look like the kind of guy who would start fights.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dnhrudi wrote:I have mentioned this guy in a couple of forums, Marco Campos, when Alonso was in F3000 some time later he reminded me of Marco..
You know just now and then you see someone race and you get this feeling they were the real deal? I got that feeling with Marco. Sadly missed......

I remember him. Died in an accident in F3000 in 1995, didn't he?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Faustus wrote:
dnhrudi wrote:I have mentioned this guy in a couple of forums, Marco Campos, when Alonso was in F3000 some time later he reminded me of Marco..

Yes. He took off by hitting another driver's wheel and hit his head on a concrete wall. RIP Marco Campos (1976-1995)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

tommykl wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Yes. He took off by hitting another driver's wheel and hit his head on a concrete wall. RIP Marco Campos (1976-1995)

Sadly, those were tough times for F1 wannabes. Not even winning in F3000 would guarantee you anything half decent, or anything at all. And Marco Campos was running with a rookie F3000 team that had just graduated from Formula Opel and was very uncompetitive. Yet he still managed to do some very good things. Maybe he would have been yet another wasted talent, which is very sad.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dnhrudi wrote:Sadly, those were tough times for F1 wannabes. Not even winning in F3000 would guarantee you anything half decent, or anything at all. And Marco Campos was running with a rookie F3000 team that had just graduated from Formula Opel and was very uncompetitive. Yet he still managed to do some very good things. Maybe he would have been yet another wasted talent, which is very sad.

Those F3000 cars of the last years of non-spec F3000 were absolutely vicious and really hard to drive. Because of the rev-limited engine, the drivers had to keep the engines always at almost maximum revs and basically hang on to the car in corners. They also had a stupid amount of downforce for the weight. They were a lot harder to drive than the spec F3000 from 1996 to 2004 and prepared a driver much better for a Formula 1 career.
Last edited by Faustus on 15 Jun 2011, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Ferté brothers, Michel and Alain. Didn't one of them almost have a drive with Ligier?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Faustus wrote:The Ferté brothers, Michel and Alain. Didn't one of them almost have a drive with Ligier?

Michel was Ligier test-driver from 1983 to 1986, and both were in F3000 from 1985-1989.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

tommykl wrote:
Faustus wrote:The Ferté brothers, Michel and Alain. Didn't one of them almost have a drive with Ligier?

Michel was Ligier test-driver from 1983 to 1986, and both were in F3000 from 1985-1989.

Alain seemed to be born to drive F3 cars (won Monaco twice) but never really shone when he moved to F2/3000, Michel looked a the more ultimately talented, but after a good year in F2 in 84, ended up driving for a whole bunch of pretty crappy teams. Same thing happened to Richard Dallest, though by accounts he was a very gentle guy not really made for motor racing. I saw him at Pau twice though and he always looked visibly quicker than anyone else in the place
Last edited by dnhrudi on 16 Jun 2011, 08:43, edited 2 times in total.
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Faustus wrote:
dnhrudi wrote:Sadly, those were tough times for F1 wannabes. Not even winning in F3000 would guarantee you anything half decent, or anything at all. And Marco Campos was running with a rookie F3000 team that had just graduated from Formula Opel and was very uncompetitive. Yet he still managed to do some very good things. Maybe he would have been yet another wasted talent, which is very sad.

Those F3000 cars of the last years of non-spec F3000 were absolutely vicious and really hard to drive. Because of the rev-limited engine, the drivers had to keep the engines always at almost maximum revs and basically hang on to the car in corners. They also had a stupid amount of downforce for the weight. They were a lot harder to drive than the spec F3000 from 1996 to 2004 and prepared a driver much better for a Formula 1 career.

Marco was the only driver to be killed in the original open F3000, after 11 years, at the very last race :(

Indeed there were a lot of good drivers at that time that missed F1, Kenny Brack, Sospiri, Goosens, Bouchut, de Ferran, etc. Lagorce deserved more than 2 GP...
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

DanielPT wrote:
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote:There's a fascinating article in the Sun about Terry Fullerton-who competed against Senna in about 1980/1 and was rated by Senna as one of the best drivers he'd ever competed against.He never went further than about Formula 2 because his brother had been killed racing years before.Never seen him in action,but on Senna's recommendation he sounds worth a look.You don't get rated that highly by Senna without some reason.

Terry Fullerton never raced cars, he was a carter only, 1973 world champ if i remember rightly?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dnhrudi wrote:Indeed there were a lot of good drivers at that time that missed F1, Kenny Brack, Sospiri, Goosens, Bouchut, de Ferran, etc. Lagorce deserved more than 2 GP...

Sospiri competed in a Grand Prix weekend as far as the end of qualifying, only to fall foul of the 107% rule, in the classic Mastercard Lola!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Chicane-mutilated circuits, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve as World Champions, F3000 champions and great drivers that went nowhere, the beginning of the grooved tyres era, soaring costs and shrinking grids. Late 90s F1 sucked to an extent.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Phoenix wrote:Chicane-mutilated circuits, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve as World Champions, F3000 champions and great drivers that went nowhere, the beginning of the grooved tyres era, soaring costs and shrinking grids. Late 90s F1 sucked to an extent.

Yeah, I definitely didn't enjoy that 97-99 period as much as the years before.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I thought the late 90s were much better than the early 00s though! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Yeah, Panis a genuine championship contender at one point in 1997. Imagine if he had won the championship.

Late 90s were great, 1997 especially. Early 2000s were good, apart from 2002, 2000 was fantastic IMO.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Apologies if mentioned before;

Greg Moore, died when I was just getting into CART

Bruno Junquiera, I mean this guy wasnt to bad. During the Williams shootout, apparently he was faster than Button, but his feedback wasnt as good.

Also, and I know this guy is still involved, but Gary Paffett looks like he MAY miss out

Finally, and I know this guy raced in F1, but Allan McNish. I think he came too late in F1. Had he raced for teams that he tested in the mid to late 90's (apart from LOLA! in 1993) it would have been a different scenario.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

David AGS wrote:Bruno Junquiera, I mean this guy wasnt to bad. During the Williams shootout, apparently he was faster than Button, but his feedback wasnt as good.

By memory, Junqueira was I believe slower than Button.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

David AGS wrote:Apologies if mentioned before;

Greg Moore, died when I was just getting into CART

Bruno Junquiera, I mean this guy wasnt to bad. During the Williams shootout, apparently he was faster than Button, but his feedback wasnt as good.

Also, and I know this guy is still involved, but Gary Paffett looks like he MAY miss out

Finally, and I know this guy raced in F1, but Allan McNish. I think he came too late in F1. Had he raced for teams that he tested in the mid to late 90's (apart from LOLA! in 1993) it would have been a different scenario.

McNish was phenomenal in F3 and his first season of 3000, then he had a tough year with the Lola when he was expected to be champion. after that the sponsorship became difficult, and the results didnt come, moved to sports cars... momentum lost. Got to F! when he knew it wasn't gonna work for him. If he'd arrived 10 years before it might have been very different....
Gary Paffett? very good driver, but unless something extraordinary happens he is his generations Tom Kristensen
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

McNIsh's first season in F3000 (1990) was blighted by the accident at the start thereof where a marshall or other non-participant was killed & which left him unconscious for a few days. He never seemed to show quite as promisingly as prior to the accident, but his 1989 F3 season had been excellent.
He finished 4th in the F3000 Champ in 1990, but fell away badly in subsequent years, possibly because he was pursuing an F1 career...
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
1993DonningtonNo1

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1 »

For my first comment, I say Bryan Herta, tried to put himself in the frame for a Minardi drive for 2003. Instead, he went back to Champ Car and then IRL and now runs his own team and won this year's Indy 500 with Dan Wheldon (1998 Brit FFord: 3 Brits, 1 title and the winner is now an F1 Champ!)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

James Rossiter. I was chatting to one of my mates who works for Mercedes GP (chief strategist) and has been there since the BAR days and he and everybody else rated him very highly, almost as much as Anthony Davidson. Apparently Honda was always very reluctant to give a full-time race drive to a driver with few or no Formula 1 races, which is why Davidson never got a drive with them.
Last edited by Faustus on 23 Dec 2011, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Faustus wrote:James Rossiter. I was chatting to one of my mates who works for Mercedes GP (chief strategist) and has been there seen the BAR days and he and everybody else rated him very highly, almost as much as Anthony Davidson. Apparently Honda was always very reluctant to give a full-time race drive to a driver with few or no Formula 1 races, which is why Davidson never got a drive with them.

Davidson did sub for Takuma Sato at the 2005 Malaysian GP, so I guess that's something.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Davidson considers his F1 career over, I think, but imagine if he were offered the chance when Schumacher retires after 2012...? I'd think he would take it, and he was sometimes blindingly quick in the BAR in free practice, so who knows, maybe that would be good.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Waris wrote:Davidson considers his F1 career over, I think, but imagine if he were offered the chance when Schumacher retires after 2012...? I'd think he would take it, and he was sometimes blindingly quick in the BAR in free practice, so who knows, maybe that would be good.

I'd love to see him in a Merc after Schumi retires, just so he can finally unrejectify himself. His Q2 lap in the 2007 Turkish Grand Prix was memorable.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Waris wrote:Davidson considers his F1 career over, I think, but imagine if he were offered the chance when Schumacher retires after 2012...? I'd think he would take it, and he was sometimes blindingly quick in the BAR in free practice, so who knows, maybe that would be good.

He's 32, I don't see it happening.

di Resta is practically a shoo-in for that spot at the mo.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

shinji wrote:

De La Rosa's was 39 last year and yet he still landed a seat at Sauber :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:
shinji wrote:

De La Rosa's was 39 last year and yet he still landed a seat at Sauber :lol:

Schumacher got that Merc seat at age 41.
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Narain back in the saddle (all be it briefly) 34, but then I can't see Vauxhall stumping up any cash for Ant ;)
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

I particularly would like to see any female driver in F1... but to name one, I think I'd say Danica Patrick.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Priceless wrote:I particularly would like to see any female driver in F1... but to name one, I think I'd say Danica Patrick.

Everyone else on this forum will probably say Simona de Silvestro...
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".