Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
eagleash

Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

Post by eagleash »

I imagine we all can suggest a driver & wonder how they would have done if....

I'll start this off with Peter Brock,

(Somewhere on the other side of the World Jenoch have a collective"moment").
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
P_Friesacher

Re: Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

Post by P_Friesacher »

Gonzalo Rodriguez
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Can there be drivers we'd like to have seen MORE of?

Johnny Dumfries
Alessandro Nannini
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Colin McRae. Him at BAR 1999, had it been a good car, would have been epic (555 livery = win, as long as JV's car had all the Lucky Strike branding on it.)
Mark Skaife. Was only one step from going to F1...though he wasn't especially quick in F3000.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

ADx_Wales wrote:Can there be drivers we'd like to have seen MORE of?

Johnny Dumfries
Alessandro Nannini

I was hoping people would suggest drivers who didn't get the chance or who didn't want to do it. But after 10 posts we'll be discussing Buzzcocks or something anyway so what the hell.

I'd have liked to have seen more of The Earl too, Nannini was an unfortunate casualty like Tom Pryce, who could have done better.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I've always been rather curious to see how Jeff Gordon would've fared in Formula 1.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

As well as Klaus Ludwig, can anyone else recall another German F3000/sportscar driver who also turned down F1. I think there was one but the name eludes me completely. :oops:
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Allan McNish got his chance about 10 years too late. So basically would have liked to see him much much earlier.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:Colin McRae. Him at BAR 1999, had it been a good car, would have been epic (555 livery = win, as long as JV's car had all the Lucky Strike branding on it.)

Two sigs ago, I asked for Jari-Matti Latvala (panel beaters galore) and Casey "I munch rear tyres for breakfast" Stoner. And I stand by it. Between the two, they could wipe out 3/4 of the field at the start of every race. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

eagleash wrote:As well as Klaus Ludwig, can anyone else recall another German F3000/sportscar driver who also turned down F1. I think there was one but the name eludes me completely. :oops:

Jorg Muller?

I'd like to have seen Bruno Junqueira and Kenny Brack in F1.
Forza Forti
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Bleu wrote:Allan McNish got his chance about 10 years too late. So basically would have liked to see him much much earlier.

Yes agree with that watched him in f3 in 1989...even my girlfriend was impressed.....but that accident at Donington set him back badly.

The german driver I was trying to remember was Klaus Niedwiecz (Sp?)

Not Jorg but had hopes for Yvan Muller after watching a wet brands f3000 in 1992
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Fritz Kreutzpointer, part of the Mercedes sports car youngsters that eventually found himself racing in the European Truck Racing Championship.
"King" Hiro Matsushita, desperately slow Champ Car driver noted for raising the ire of Emerson Fittipaldi.
Neel Jani, no explanation needed - was a third driver though.
Sebastien Loeb, just to see how that would have gone.

Csaba Kesjar, the first Hungarian touted for F1. Third generation driver tragically killed at the Norisring round of the 1988 German F3 series, aged 26, after 4 Hungarian Formula Easter titles, the 1986 Austrian Formula Ford championship, and a short demonstation drive for Zakspeed on the Hungaroring.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

eagleash wrote:Yes agree with that watched him in f3 in 1989...even my girlfriend was impressed.....but that accident at Donington set him back badly.

Funnily enough I've just started watching a video of the F3 season (I'm about a third of the way through) which has sat on my shelf unwatched for over a year!
I agree that from what I've seen McNish does look very good, however the driver that really caught my eye was Otto Rensing who was in the same team as Paul Stewart that year and embarassingly for the Stewart clan (but hilariously for me as I can't stand them!) about 10 times better. I'd never heard of him previously.
There's some hilariously bad driving contained in this VHS from the likes of Damon Hill, Rickard Rydell and Philippe Adams btw!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Possibly a legitimate Irish driver?

Probably too much to ask, so realistically - John Winter. Might have kept him from killing himself and might have revealed who he was.

As kostas said, Colin McRae would have been epic, as would Loeb a couple of years ago.

I don't really follow enough other series though to have an opinion that isn't hacked off someone else.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

Milka Duno just to see if she's any better than Channoch Nissany. Sadly she would make him look like Nuvolari :lol:

Tony Stewart who if he ever got in shape could be a good driver in Formula 1. The man can drive the wheels off any car he gets into and it would be fun to see him in an F1 car.

Dario Franchitti is a good road course driver in indycars sports cars, and has experience from DTM from the mid 90's.
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

shinji wrote:Possibly a legitimate Irish driver?

Probably too much to ask, so realistically - John Winter. Might have kept him from killing himself and might have revealed who he was.

As kostas said, Colin McRae would have been epic, as would Loeb a couple of years ago.

I don't really follow enough other series though to have an opinion that isn't hacked off someone else.

John Winter was Louis Krages a German businessman....Or is that another red herring? Nope he also competed as Krages (Wiki)

Rally drivers in F1 not a great history (& vice versa). Stirling could do both.
Last edited by eagleash on 19 Jan 2010, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I really want to see Kyle Busch get an F1 drive.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

thehemogoblin wrote:I really want to see Kyle Busch get an F1 drive.

For a moment there I read that as Kylie Minogue :lol:
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

eagleash wrote:

I wouldn't complain about that.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

thehemogoblin wrote:
eagleash wrote:

I wouldn't complain about that.

An all female Minogue GP team.....Jenson would be up for that ;)

(You see we're nearly at Buzzcocks as I predicted)
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

eagleash wrote:An all female Minogue GP team.....Jenson would be up for that ;)

We are?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

shinji wrote:
eagleash wrote:An all female Minogue GP team.....Jenson would be up for that ;)

We are?

Not The Buzzcocks Shinj....but the ever popular irreverent Pop Quiz "Never Mind the Buzzcocks".....not get in Dublin?

& now we're there......BU**ER
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Can I nonimate myself??? :lol:

I wouldn't might seeing Jason Plato in F1...not so much for his driving more for his personality, as we could always do with a few more characters in F1.
Last edited by ibsey on 20 Jan 2010, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
TS020

Post by TS020 »

This.
Cutting Through the Ronspeak - We went to a motor race and then a bowling match broke out.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

deCrasheris wrote:Tony Stewart who if he ever got in shape could be a good driver in Formula 1. The man can drive the wheels off any car he gets into and it would be fun to see him in an F1 car.

There was a time long long ago where Tony Stewart was actually in any shape to race an open wheeler (He won the 97 Indycar championship but that was a time when ChampCar still ruled the roost so it's not much to write home about :lol: )
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
madcat

Post by madcat »

Nelson Piquet Jr. :twisted:
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

Speaking of characters, it would have been interesting to see Paul Tracy mixing with the long faces in the paddock.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

dragonsteincole wrote:Speaking of characters, it would have been interesting to see Paul Tracy mixing with the long faces in the paddock.

I think Paul Tracy tested for Williams sometime in the 90s......if I remember rightly before the test he "all but had the drive", but it didn't go as well as planned & afterward it was as if it hadn't taken place?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

eagleash wrote:
dragonsteincole wrote:Speaking of characters, it would have been interesting to see Paul Tracy mixing with the long faces in the paddock.

I think Paul Tracy tested for Williams sometime in the 90s......if I remember rightly before the test he "all but had the drive", but it didn't go as well as planned & afterward it was as if it hadn't taken place?

Well, at least he tested for Benetton in 1994:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Pretty much any reject driver in other categories...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

You think Alonso/Massa is a bad combo at Ferrari?

You replace them with Matt Neal and Jason Plato, and together they will cause the end of the earth.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eagleash wrote:I think Paul Tracy tested for Williams sometime in the 90s......if I remember rightly before the test he "all but had the drive", but it didn't go as well as planned & afterward it was as if it hadn't taken place?

Must be Bruno Junqueira you're thinking of. It was a straight contest between him and Button to replace Zanardi at Williams for the 2000 season and the rest is history really
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I've mentioned it somewhere before, but touring car door-banger Anthony Reid was very close to getting into F1.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Drivers I would like to have seen in F1? Hmm, let me think. Erm....

WARREN HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:
eagleash wrote:I think Paul Tracy tested for Williams sometime in the 90s......if I remember rightly before the test he "all but had the drive", but it didn't go as well as planned & afterward it was as if it hadn't taken place?

Must be Bruno Junqueira you're thinking of. It was a straight contest between him and Button to replace Zanardi at Williams for the 2000 season and the rest is history really

If I'm right it was quite early 90s, so I think it must be the Benetton test as mentioned above that I was thinking of. I do recall that he was widely expected to do well but the team were disappointed. Another Cart/Champ/Indy hotshoe doesn't make the F1 grade. Whereas average F1 drivers can be quite successful Stateside.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Senna tested Fitipaldi's Penske in the run up to 1993, that would have been a feud worth switching single-seater alliegances for.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

HWNSNBM I would have like to have seen more,

Seriously Perry McCarthy or Rickard Rydell
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

ADx_Wales wrote:Senna tested Fitipaldi's Penske in the run up to 1993, that would have been a feud worth switching single-seater alliegances for.

Would have changed the world.
coops

Post by coops »

Alessandro Nannini

Good one. Nannini was a real wasted opportunity. Hows about Fabrizio Barbazza; I could never work out what happened to him. Or his hair. It was huge.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

coops wrote:

Alessandro Nannini

Good one. Nannini was a real wasted opportunity. Hows about Fabrizio Barbazza; I could never work out what happened to him. Or his hair. It was huge.

According to Wiki, he went to US, crashed a Ferrari in 1995, very serious. Set up a Kart track & later moved to Cuba to go fishing!!!