Indian GP coverage - thanks!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Indian GP coverage - thanks!

Post by Kuwashima »

Thanks to all who watched and listened to the shows tonight, especially those in the chat-room and on Twitter sending comments and questions and answers...

We really appreciate it, and we hope you enjoyed yourself!

We'd be happy to hear any suggestions or feedback you have, preferably negative to ensure we don't attempt this again!

Working on at least the race commentary as a podcast soon.

Cheers,
Jamie

10 minutes till we go live!!

See you at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/f1rejects

Submit comments via Twitter, @f1rejects or use the chat function on Ustream!

This is going to be a disaster.

Cheers,
Jamie

UPDATE:

G'day all!

Final arrangements for our LIVE coverage of the Indian GP this weekend seem to be coming together. Thanks to those who have contacted us regarding sync issues and the like. We think we have a solution for everyone! We'll be doing our video broadcast as a pre-race show... then will switch to audio only for the GP. That way everyone can view our video broadcast without missing anything, and anyone who wants to watch the race with our comments can do so without Bernie getting his nickers in a twist. So, here's the run down:

8:00pm Aus East / 2:30pm New Delhi / 9:00am GMT / 5:00am US East / 2:00am US West
Video broadcast LIVE F1 Rejects Pre-Race Countdown - 25mins

8:25pm Aus East / 2:55pm New Delhi / 9:25am GMT / 5:25am US East / 2:25am US West
Audio-only broadcast LIVE F1 Rejects Indian GP race comments

Both available at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/f1rejects

Many thanks to those who have provided suggestions or comments below. Keep them coming...

Cheers,
Jamie

We have had sufficient interest below and on Twitter to suggest to us we should make a LIVE Indian GP podcast call happen. Whether it will be full video or just an audio only broadcast at this point we're not sure. There could be issues with delay, buffering, etc. Anyone with any experience or suggestion on this topic please let us know below.

Also - we now need ideas. We will have almost 2 hours to kill (mercifully this looks like a fast race given the track design) so let us know below any suggestions for the show or topics you would like us to cover.

Stay tuned for more info through the week, and in the meantime, check out our just posted Singapanorean GP Edition.

Cheers,
Jamie and Enoch
Bowak

Re: UPDATE: Indian GP LIVE podcast is go!

Post by Bowak »

As someone who's listened to all the podcasts, but never got round to registering for the forum, this news finally made me jump off the fence and stop being so lazy.

I think in honour of India's premier Formula 1 team finally having a home grand prix, it's only fair for the inaugural event for every team to also be given the honorific 'Force' when mentioned. I can't decide however which of two options would make more (less?) sense. For example, would Red Bull become merely Force Red Bull, or should it stick more geographically and be Force Britan-Milton Keynes? This could become both confusing and tiresome if there was a lot of overtaking going on between the Force Britan-Milton Keynes's & the Force Britain-Wokings. This idea therefore would not only help fill up time, it is quite rejectful in its own right.

Seriously though, I can't wait to hear the live podcast. I love what you guys have to say about Formula 1 and I still sometimes have to stop myself laughing on public transport whenever I remember Formula Elaborate Bluff.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

If it's audio only, I won't be able to listen - much as I enjoy your banter, guys, my computer is in a completely different room to the TV.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
VirtuaMcPolygon

Post by VirtuaMcPolygon »

I recommend anything vaguely relating to a drinking game whilst watching the gp.

Personally I will have a king prawn bhuna to get through at 9am and necking back a pint of kingfisher every time the safety car comes out.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

One thing that podcast would need is a close look on Karthikeyan's times including shouts of joy every time he makes a personal fastest sector. :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Klon wrote:One thing that podcast would need is a close look on Karthikeyan's times including shouts of joy every time he makes a personal fastest sector. :lol:

A big huzzah as well if he qualifies within 107%
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Just one question, will the live broadcast be recorded and released as a podcast, or is that not possible?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

VirtuaMcPolygon wrote:I recommend anything vaguely relating to a drinking game whilst watching the gp.

Personally I will have a king prawn bhuna to get through at 9am and necking back a pint of kingfisher every time the safety car comes out.

I will drink a pint of kingfisher whenever Mr Sutil glasses, sorry, passes someone (I must be able to see the move on TV, of course).

While I am at it, for each position Perez makes while driving a stint longer than everyone else I will drink a shot of Jose Cuervo.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ed24 wrote:Just one question, will the live broadcast be recorded and released as a podcast, or is that not possible?

I'm hoping so, and the title of the thread does mention 'podcast'...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

5:15 AM. I'm ready for it. Also, a video podcast would be great if the technological issues work out.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

The most important technical issue in my mind is the synchronisation.

If it's just an audio feed then buffering can take differing amounts of time for different people, so you're immediately a few seconds out of sync. If you guys are covering an overtaking manoeuvre then just being 1 second out can ruin the drama.

If you are also providing a video feed (and I don't know how you could achieve this), then the audio can keep sync with the video, but the chances of providing a reliable stream from Australia are slim.

The best chance of syncing things up is to have people watch the GP on a device that allows for pausing of live television, and for you to provide some synchronisation points throughout the coverage (eg. the initial FIA animation, the 5 lights sequence, leader crossing the line etc.) In most cases peoples audio will be behind video, so they can pause the video at the sync point until the audio reaches sync point also, then hit play on the video. Of course, if the audio ever has to re-buffer then they have to pause the video stream again at the next sync point.

However, the majority of the audience will want to listen to your coverage of the race after the fact, so being able to provide a download in a timely manner afterwards is pretty important.

You need to have some way of checking that the feed is getting out OK, so you'll need to be checking the forum or twitter or whichever medium you find easiest. If you are able to check this on a separate data connection to the one you are streaming on then this is better/safer.

If you DO provide a video stream then I hope it is the Australian ONE HD coverage so that you can expose a wider audience to the Royal Flying Doctors Service, the Reading and Writing Hotline and the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children. ;)

Really looking forward to this guys. Have fun! :D
dr-baker

Re: Change of details for Indian GP coverage

Post by dr-baker »

Kuwashima wrote:UPDATE:

G'day all!

Final arrangements for our LIVE coverage of the Indian GP this weekend seem to be coming together. Thanks to those who have contacted us regarding sync issues and the like. We think we have a solution for everyone! We'll be doing our video broadcast as a pre-race show... then will switch to audio only for the GP. That way everyone can view our video broadcast without missing anything, and anyone who wants to watch the race with our comments can do so without Bernie getting his nickers in a twist. So, here's the run down:

8:00pm Aus East / 2:30pm New Delhi / 9:00am GMT / 5:00am US East / 2:00am US West
Video broadcast LIVE F1 Rejects Pre-Race Countdown - 25mins

8:25pm Aus East / 2:55pm New Delhi / 9:25am GMT / 5:25am US East / 2:25am US West
Audio-only broadcast LIVE F1 Rejects Indian GP race comments

Both available at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/f1rejects

Many thanks to those who have provided suggestions or comments below. Keep them coming...

Cheers,
Jamie

I have a problem - I enjoy watching Martin Brundle's grid walk - will both of your live podcasts here (video and audio) be recorded and released later as an actual downloadable podcast, or will it be a live-only event?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

VirtuaMcPolygon wrote:I recommend anything vaguely relating to a drinking game whilst watching the gp.

Something like this maybe? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

On the subject of a drinking game, If Karthikeyan wins, we all down a pint of Vodka/JD/Absenthe
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I think there has to be some sort of Top 10 list incorporated in the show. Maybe in the pre-race show, the Top 10 things to expect from this broadcast or something like that?
-Abraham Lincoln
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

dr-baker wrote:
I have a problem - I enjoy watching Martin Brundle's grid walk - will both of your live podcasts here (video and audio) be recorded and released later as an actual downloadable podcast, or will it be a live-only event?

Record the race + grid walk!!
We will definitely release the race audio as a podcast. What we will do with the pre-race show I'm less certain about at this point.
Hope this helps!
JMc
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

TimmyB wrote:The most important technical issue in my mind is the synchronisation.

The best chance of syncing things up is to have people watch the GP on a device that allows for pausing of live television, and for you to provide some synchronisation points throughout the coverage (eg. the initial FIA animation, the 5 lights sequence, leader crossing the line etc.) In most cases peoples audio will be behind video, so they can pause the video at the sync point until the audio reaches sync point also, then hit play on the video. Of course, if the audio ever has to re-buffer then they have to pause the video stream again at the next sync point.

You need to have some way of checking that the feed is getting out OK, so you'll need to be checking the forum or twitter or whichever medium you find easiest. If you are able to check this on a separate data connection to the one you are streaming on then this is better/safer.

Thanks Timmy - re sync we'll add in a few points in the coverage to allow people to re sync.
Re checking the feed is getting out - we'll be on twitter using my phone's data connection so that shouldn't be a problem.
I think there is an iphone app for UStream too?

JMc.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Now that Lewis and Nicole have confirmed that they have split, I am hoping for a FULL analysis of what this means in relation to Hamilton's recent and future results. :D
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ed24 wrote:Now that Lewis and Nicole have confirmed that they have split, I am hoping for a FULL analysis of what this means in relation to Hamilton's recent and future results. :D

Given his return to form in Korea, I guess better things are expected in the future!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Kuwashima wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Record the race + grid walk!!
We will definitely release the race audio as a podcast. What we will do with the pre-race show I'm less certain about at this point.
Hope this helps!
JMc

Don't have a recording device at uni, but I do have access to BBC's iPlayer! So I'm tuning in... With the grid walk and subtitles while watching and listening to you guys!
MCard LOLA
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

dr-baker wrote:Don't have a recording device at uni, but I do have access to BBC's iPlayer! So I'm tuning in... With the grid walk and subtitles while watching and listening to you guys!

Where there is a will, there is a way!!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ideas? 2 hours to kill, take Skype calls! Maybe not during the race, that's silly, but in the pre race show perhaps?
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will post comments in the forum.

Beware, I might still/get drunk depending on the night and overtaking or long stints! :P
hclw

Post by hclw »

really looking forward to hearing the lads' voices and views again, the world needs more jamie and enoch.

I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch the race without this
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Damn! I hope my power stays on so I can watch in the morning. (I have six inches of snow in my lawn and it's October.)
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
road1951runner

Re: Indian GP coverage LIVE NOW!

Post by road1951runner »

The Chat isn't working for me. Anyone else having problems?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Best pre-race ever.

Send tapes of this into Sky if they're looking for people for next season.
dresda

Post by dresda »

Can't load server to watch live. Damnation!
'08 BMW F650GS (Jutta), '01 Suzuku DR650, '03 VW Golf TDI (Teddy)
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

A smashing success!

I had trouble with the chat as well, I had to type in notepad and paste into the text box.

Please do more of these!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Yep, a great success all round I think.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Brilliant job guys, really glad that I moved my computer and monitor into the front room for this!
Last edited by Salamander on 30 Oct 2011, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Chat didn't work for me, nor audio during race, but video pre-race coverage was great. Particularly all the nicknames for each driver on the grid - genius! Just need the podcast now so I can rewatch the race with your commentary!
MCard LOLA
Minardi Man

Re: Indian GP coverage - thanks!

Post by Minardi Man »

I really enjoyed it, great job.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I totally forgot about it - what a shame! :(
Hopefully I'll be able to listen to your coverage soon, or even...
...sync it with actual TV footage and upload it somewhere* for all you folks to enjoy doubled F1 Rejects Broadcast Company experience :D

* where it wont be deleted by FOM
davekartclub

Post by davekartclub »

Great initiative. I had the laptop in front of me with your audio playing in my earphone, whilst watching the BBC coverage on HD on my TV with Martin and David (had to watch it live to get HD coverage on freeview, so no 'pausing' of the video was possible) and the F1 timing screen on my lap top. i was watching with others who are unfamilar with you guys so will need to listen on the podcast later as i missed quite a bit. Also I'm as good as multi listening/watching as i am at multi-tasking. so will look forward to the podcast!
hclw

Post by hclw »

I really enjoyed it, definitely worth the effort. You made a very dull race very interesting, I especially liked the cultural discussions during the ad breaks
Bert

Post by Bert »

Fantastic job! The pre-race was killer, and the race-cast made the snore-fest quite bearable. The driver nicknames was a laugh! I think the F1 Rejects clock was broken, it did not seem to move at all, or is that the point?

Please, sir, I want some more.
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Please do the Brazilian Grand Prix, just tell me where to watch F1 races for free and for no signups or anything like that?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

Great job guys, well worth getting up for.

Loved the turban Jamie, suited you :P
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I forgot to mention. Thanks for the gratuitous mentions of GGRRRRRRRJJJJJJJJNNNNNN!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/