The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Team 'Lotus'

Post by shinji »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:
SuperAguri wrote:I am looking forward to seeing it on the grid, hopefully they will continue the numbering scheme too and be in British racing green and not a blue or white colour...

Hmmmmmmm, well...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/09/15/1 ... heme-2010/

It's very... distinctive.

It's a departure from blandness anyway. We'd be hypocrites if we criticised this car for being different to the corporate silver/red/blue/white of all the other cars.

I hope they use that. I think it's epic.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

It's a departure from blandness anyway. We'd be hypocrites if we criticised this car for being different to the corporate silver/red/blue/white of all the other cars.

But this is so anti corporate its terrible. Why pink Malaysia? Why?
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:It's a departure from blandness anyway. We'd be hypocrites if we criticised this car for being different to the corporate silver/red/blue/white of all the other cars.

Actually, we'd be hypocrites if we DIDN'T criticize it. See: "Honda-- Earth Car"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Being a big fan of the old Lotus team, I would actually like it if this incarnation of Lotus used its Malaysian identity. It's owned by a Malaysian company, Proton, and I'd quite frankly like to see it embrace all things Malaysian. Including a return of Alex Yoong to the cockpit.

Also, do not bash pink, remember the Pacific with its pink highlights? Marvelous.

I don't like the design of the livery but I do like the colors used. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit and then it'll be a beauty. I say this with my (somewhat) expertise with painting skins for a Nascar game which include IRL cars. :X

Also, the first Honda earth car was pretty neat. The 2008 Earth car looked like crap.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Lotus team can't do much worse than Proton's BTCC effort, they were terrible.

Get Fairuz Fauzy in the other seat alongside Yoong. Or Ralph Firman, because he's from Norwich.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

RAK wrote:
SuperAguri wrote:Although no ones asked the question if the new Lotus team get zero points and pull out in the first year would they be a reject team?

That's something I'm wondering about, along with the question: If Lola were to make a return and actually manage to score enough points to invalidate them as a reject team, would they be counted as a separate entry from Mastercard Lola for the purposes of rejectdom? Because it would be hilarious and completely absurd if this Lola team managed to remove one of the most farcical entries in the annals of rejectdom by actually being good this time around.

I'm going to guess that they would be considered separate entries, though.

Lola already had plenty of points before 1997 (they had a 2nd place courtesy of John Surtees way back in 1962) so the new Lotus would likely be counted as a separate entity in the same way.
Forza Forti
dresda

Post by dresda »

rffp wrote:But this is a ripoff! To use such powerful name in vain is a heresy. I hope Lotus Cars sue the hell out of them.

Agreed. Its like the current 'Triumph' motorcycle. Just a marketing exercise.

(I've owned a real Triumph and I have a newer 'Triumph'. Good bikes, just not the real thing.)
'08 BMW F650GS (Jutta), '01 Suzuku DR650, '03 VW Golf TDI (Teddy)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

rffp wrote:
noisebox wrote:How about Bruno Senna for Lotus. 22 years on and Senna/Lotus still has a nice ring to it...

Hopefully, Bruno will find a better car to make his debut.

A wheelie bin would be OK.

As for the paint scheme... sweet mother of Jesus, what was wrong with Blue, White and Silver again?!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Actually, with that colour scheme, all you need is to get rid of the yellow and you'll be left with pink and blue and shades of Brabham in 1992. Bring back Eric van de Poele ...
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

It's ghastly, but I rather like it. You'd not get it mixed up with anything else. Hopefully.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

That LSD inspired color scheme, it's unwatchable!!! :lol:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
rffp

Post by rffp »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
rffp wrote:
noisebox wrote:How about Bruno Senna for Lotus. 22 years on and Senna/Lotus still has a nice ring to it...

Hopefully, Bruno will find a better car to make his debut.

A wheelie bin would be OK.

Well, speaking of wheelie bins, they could always try to sign Roberto Moreno, this is the kind of team that the legend would always want to race for!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

rffp wrote:Well, speaking of wheelie bins, they could always try to sign Roberto Moreno, this is the kind of team that the legend would always want to race for!

That's the spirit! Much more like it!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Paul Hayes wrote:
SuperAguri wrote:I am looking forward to seeing it on the grid, hopefully they will continue the numbering scheme too and be in British racing green and not a blue or white colour...

Hmmmmmmm, well...

It's not going to look like that. It's just a concept; it's likely the livery will be determined by the sponsors. I'm picking Petronas as a definite one, since they're Malaysian-owned and get backing from the government the way Proton/Lotus do. Petronas' colours are grey, but they've shown a willingness to appear in a team's colours before; they're white on the BMWs.

Given that Malaysia's national racing colours are yellow and white and that Lotus's company colours are yellow and green with a little bit of white, I suspect we could see those appearing as the base colours next season. It'd kind of look like the old Camel-Lotus, but with green instead of blue. I think it could work if done the right way.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

It´s going to be a wacky season...
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Paul Hayes wrote:

Hmmmmmmm, well...

Oh, my eyes.
It reminds me of those small bouncing balls I used to play with in my childhood.

Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

XurizManson wrote:Image

Ironically, I think that's a Renault F1 car!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

noisebox wrote:

Ironically, I think that's a Renault F1 car!

Sure. It reminds me that BAR '777 - LuckyStrike' design, too.
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

That is one of the strangest looking color schemes that I've ever seen, it looks like a room where somebody couldn't decide what color to paint the space so they just went down to Canadian Tire and bought a bunch of different pastel colors then just threw paint at the walls.
muttley

Post by muttley »

/* geek mode engaged */

I think the actual colour is yellow, but because they will be so much slower than the other cars, their spectrum will be distorted by Doppler-shift and they will appear just like that... :geek:

/* geek mode disengaged */
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

So they're clearly showing their reject-ness already by presenting a car design that's already illegal. I hope they know they can run slicks now right? This is going to be great...
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

watka wrote:The Lotus team can't do much worse than Proton's BTCC effort, they were terrible.

Get Fairuz Fauzy in the other seat alongside Yoong. Or Ralph Firman, because he's from Norwich.

Don't diss Proton too much in international motorsport. They're doing not too badly in the IRC. However, I'm all for Fauzy- I think he could be a surprise.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Many Blue Flags wrote:
I think he could be a surprise.

What, he'll be even worse than we thought? :lol:
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

You do realise that model was made about a year ago, and so pre-dates this project?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Captain Hammer wrote:

You do realise that model was made about a year ago, and so pre-dates this project?

Aw, why spoil the fun? :)
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

It reminds me of the First World Hotel in Malaysia.

Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Mister Fungus wrote:It reminds me of the First World Hotel in Malaysia.

They have a very good business plan - the best place to stay would be inside that particular hotel, so that you never have to look at it, they're going to make millions!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Team Principal Tony Fernandes sounds like he was forced into the position...he has already said he wants to quit! Maybe he knows the team is doomed?
Oh, and Lotus are announcing their drivers at the end of next month.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Rumour has it that they'll get Fairuz Fauzy. He was in GP2 Asia and A1GP last year and is now in the Renault World Series. He was one of Spyker's test drivers :)
Whis

Post by Whis »

Henrique wrote:Rumour has it that they'll get Fairuz Fauzy. He was in GP2 Asia and A1GP last year and is now in the Renault World Series. He was one of Spyker's test drivers :)

woooo!

my god what a driver.

next Schumacher?
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Whis wrote:
Henrique wrote:Rumour has it that they'll get Fairuz Fauzy. He was in GP2 Asia and A1GP last year and is now in the Renault World Series. He was one of Spyker's test drivers :)

woooo!

my god what a driver.

next Schumacher?

Next reject.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Whis wrote:

woooo!

my god what a driver.

next Schumacher?

Next Ralf Schumacher, maybe. Fauzy was said to be out of his depth in British F3; his successes in GP2 Asia were a by product of a grid that experiecned a high rate of driver turnover (teams were - and still are - encouraged to run at least one driver who does not hold a passport from Westrn Europe) and the fact that GP2 operates on a reverse top eight for sprint races, where the points positions from the feature race are reversed. Fazuy finished eighth in the feature on the three occasions he won a sprint race, and so he had taken pole be default in the sprint.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

kostas22 wrote:Team Principal Tony Fernandes sounds like he was forced into the position...he has already said he wants to quit! Maybe he knows the team is doomed?
Oh, and Lotus are announcing their drivers at the end of next month.

Really? Not good, he knows he's on to a loser based on that car design and colour scheme.
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9949.html

- Looking for someone experienced eh?

who could this be - could Trulli end up there? surely not rubens... 'Quick' Nick could be possible...

What about Ralf? Is he 'on the market'... and will Jacques be on the phone as we speak?

- Personally as a Lotus fan from 'back in the day' I actually want to see these guys do a good job and become a decent team...
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

JV is a strong possibility, and Ralf will be a free agent after Norbert Haug kicks his ass out of AMG at the end of this season for being crap.
I think Nick is staying put...so Trulli, JV and Ralf are 3 strong contenders under that criteria.
Or, how about Luca Badoer? ;)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

I don't think Faruz Faiuzy is that bad, he is currently 7th in WSR, and just today he finished 2nd in the race where he overtook - during the race - 3 or 4 drivers including Alguersuari.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Mister Fungus wrote:I don't think Faruz Faiuzy is that bad, he is currently 7th in WSR, and just today he finished 2nd in the race where he overtook - during the race - 3 or 4 drivers including Alguersuari.

The thing is, he's competing against drivers who are mainly 4 or 5 years younger than him. It didn't hurt Timo Glock though.

Also, I noticed that the current leader of WSR is one Bertrand Baguette.
Lotus_Position

Post by Lotus_Position »

Well as a friend of Lotus I won't be unhappy unless they come up with some interpretation of the rules that enables them to flog everyone, but gets them banned in practice :)
Winterspring

Post by Winterspring »

I would love for Ralf to drive again but maybe even a small chance of Tiago Montiero ;). I see Trulli out of all the current drivers to be in that team.

Maybe a punt if they were to have a rookie to try Marko Asmer