Spa Loses Right To Host F1 Race For 17 Years

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

Spa Loses Right To Host F1 Race For 17 Years

Post by Nin13 »

Reports in the Belgian press on Wednesday explain how the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, scene of the country's Formula One race, has lost its right to hold the event for another seventeen years. It is believed that the decision comes following a 2007 complaint posted by people living in the vicinity of the legendary track.

With Spa having lost its place on the F1 calendar in both 2003 and 2006, the races of 2010 and many more years also appear to be in doubt, according to reports in the country from Lesoir.

The publication describes how the State Council has suspended the licence for the Spa-Francorchamps circuit and related facilities to be able to host a Grand Prix until the year 2026, stressing that the decision comes 'more than two years after the introduction of a complaint filed by residents of the circuit and the Mute association'.

"The whole viability of the circuit may be questioned," the circuit Manager is quoted as saying, adding that he will challenge the government's decision. The State Council added the following, regarding noise pollution in the area: 'If it exists, the study of environmental impact is seriously inadequate and incomplete.

The State Council has therefore suspended the operating license.'

Source: http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/09/ ... t-f1-race/

Damn!! one of the best tracks, and surprising that its people who have made the complaints. Race was held here for last couple of decades and no one bothered to complain, why now then?? Stupid people...........
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
lostpin

Re: Spa Loses Right To Host F1 Race For 17 Years

Post by lostpin »

:shock:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I'll wait to see it on autosport to be honest.

But if this is true, what an atrocity.

Nin13 wrote:surprising that its people who have made the complaints

Who else would make them?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
rffp

Post by rffp »

I deeply regret that if it is true.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nein! Another old-school circuit out from the calendar! :o
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

here is another link.......
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/se ... ps-licence

shinji wrote:Who else would make them?

I meant to say I was surprised that residents made complaints. :evil: They have been staying for decades there, without any problem and one fine day they decide to make complaint????????? :oops:
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Nin13 wrote:here is another link.......
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/se ... ps-licence

shinji wrote:Who else would make them?

I meant to say I was surprised that residents made complaints. :evil: They have been staying for decades there, without any problem and one fine day they decide to make complaint????????? :oops:

I'd trust the Guardian - looks pretty worrying.

So - Zolder, nowhere or random new country?
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

shinji wrote:So - Zolder, nowhere or random new country?

Wherever the money is. Bernie must be thrilled, as he no longer has to deal with the political fallout of Excluding spa for someone who pays better. "I'd love to race there, but they won't let us".
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

We'll be of to India, South Africa, Mexico, somewhere a race has been promised by Bernie. He's had a good week, Flavio's gone (they were friends I know but he can't have wanted him to be in F1) and Spa's gone. Spa will become a mythical beast, remembered fondly and talked by race fans for decades to come if we never go back.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

If you don't like the noise, don't move near a circuit. Its not like the residents were there before the circuit was built.

Personally I would like to live near a track like Spa, even if it did cause pandemonium one weekend a year.

EDIT: A thought, if every racing fan protested against this by boycotting Spa mineral water, would the loss of income to the town be enough to convince them that they are idiots? Mind you, I don't know anybody who buys it.
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Jordan192 wrote:Bernie must be thrilled, as he no longer has to deal with the political fallout of Excluding spa for someone who pays better. "I'd love to race there, but they won't let us".

That's pretty much how I see it too, he must be delighted with the prospect of having a free slot to stick a race in the middle of nowhere, but pays well.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

17 years is such a random length of time. Just saying.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Stupid dolts who complained.
ITS YOUR OWN F**KING FAULT FOR MOVING NEXT TO A RACETRACK!!!!!!!
I feel like throwing Molotov Cocktails through their windows...that'll teach 'em to mess with our Motorsport.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

kostas22 wrote:Stupid dolts who complained.
ITS YOUR OWN F**KING FAULT FOR MOVING NEXT TO A RACETRACK!!!!!!!
I feel like throwing Molotov Cocktails through their windows...that'll teach 'em to mess with our Motorsport.

Just like Monza. I couldn't agree with you more here.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Bort

Post by Bort »

Zolder is a good track and I would love to see racing back there, but not at the expense of no Spa races for nearly 2 decades.

So this leaves us with Monaco and Monza as the only surviving classic era circuits still racing?

Gah.
rffp

Post by rffp »

A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

rffp wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78806

There is still hope.

Please, please, please. I agree with that if you move next to a racetrack, you expect there to be some noise, no? That track has been around since the early 20th century and surely they would know cars go round it every month or so. If only Bernie cared a fig about the history of the sport.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Why make noise about it until now? Bernie's not fond of Spa because they don't pay out and there were rumors earlier that the date would swap with the Nurburgring...

...so is the timing a surprise? No. Where will F1 go? Somewhere else. But they should at least have the decency to take the Spa layout down to the last detail and place it somewhere else. Then everyone wins.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Bert

Post by Bert »

I don't think Bernie is at fault here, far from it. It is the track that is not wanting to participate, forcing the promoter to, at best, find another track.

For all intents, it is the same thing as Tony George refusing the use of Indy, or the BRDC refusing the use of Silverstone (to itself?), or the City of Montréal refusing to allow Normand Legault (F1 Grand Prix of Canada) to use the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

That said, it would be a crying shame to loose Spa, yet again. However, from all reports I have heard in recent years, there is not much 'development' in the area. No hotels, no restaurants, etc. I.e. there is no direct financial benefit. So they get a weekend(s) of noise and traffic and roadblocks, for what? I can see their point. But any 'new' resident, say having moved-in in the past 50 or so years, should have known what they were getting in to.

Hoping that I have something interesting to listen to on my commute tomorrow morning!
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

They'll work something out. If they argue that Spa represents a lot of Belgian sporting history and suggest that three or four days of noise a year is hardly taxing, they may be abl to save the Belgian Grand Prix. It'd come at the expense of the other races at the circuit, though.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Captain Hammer wrote:They'll work something out. If they argue that Spa represents a lot of Belgian sporting history and suggest that three or four days of noise a year is hardly taxing, they may be abl to save the Belgian Grand Prix. It'd come at the expense of the other races at the circuit, though.

By the way, have you ever been to a Belgian Carnival? It's 5 days of binge drinking, loud music and parades. No belgian should complain about 3 days at Spa.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

What's the difference between living near to a race track and living in south-west London with teenagers on 2cc mopeds screaming up and down the road? Get over it.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Was all this resolved?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

watka wrote:What's the difference between living near to a race track and living in south-west London with teenagers on 2cc mopeds screaming up and down the road? Get over it.

A V8 revving to 19,000 rpm is a bit louder than a 2cc moped, or a Honda Civic with a big exhaust pipe. Although they don't race at night, so it balances.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:Was all this resolved?

Last I heard they were being forced to close the track, because their temporary injunction has expired. Awaiting a full trial I think.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

This is like complaining about living close to an airport, which has been in use for decades prior to your moving in. It's not as though you weren't aware there'd be noise. I would like to know how much money will be lost from the Belgian tourism income if they stop this.
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"