Most rejectful non-reject moments

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Most rejectful non-reject moments

Post by pasta_maldonado »

////Apologies in advance if any thread of this kind has been created in the past////
Every driver, no matter how great, has a bad day at the office. A moment when concentration is lost, or silly errors made. This thread is (hopefully :) ) for any rejectful moment by a non-reject driver

I'll start you off with a classic......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAEFEEo-Bo

As far as I can tell, that wall wasn't so interesting it warranted a closer look :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Londoner

Re: Most rejectful non-reject moments

Post by Londoner »

Lewis Hamilton's performance at the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix. Stuffing up his qualifying, ramming Massa and Maldonado off the road on his clumsy way to 6th, and then the Ali G moment after the race :roll: :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

East Londoner wrote:Lewis Hamilton's performance at the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix. Stuffing up his qualifying, ramming Massa and Maldonado off the road on his clumsy way to 6th, and then the Ali G moment after the race :roll: :lol:

That was poor, especially shunting one of my favourite drivers off the track and accusing the FIA of racism was low even by his standards. Anyway, I don't think thee was a race in 2011 where Hamilton and Massa didn't collide in some way :lol:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

David Coulthard, I actually have seen that before.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

shinji wrote:David Coulthard, I actually have seen that before.

It was just the first thing that came into my head, I was not proclaiming it as the discovery of the 21th Century :)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Some that spring to mind are drivers who lost it under pressure.

1998: Mika Häkkinen, Monza - spun out, into the trees, down went the gloves, PERKELE!
2009: "...and there will just be a lot of blah blah blah blah blah..." and I think we all know who that was.
1995: the McLaren MP4/10, in general, and Nigel Mansell's doomed attempt to fit in it.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sort of along those lines david coulthard (again) binning it on the formation lap of the 1995 (again) Italian grand prix
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...which reminds me. Alain Prost, three times a World Champion at that point, spinning off into retirement on the formation lap of the 1991 San Marino Grand Prix. Not to mention his late-season meltdown. Sacre Bleu!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

David Coulthard and his botched pass on Alonso at the 2003 European GP

Btw pasta_maldonado welcome to the forum, nice signature. Definitely one of my favourite James Hunt moments :lol:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Lewis Hamilton at the 2008 Canadian GP. Red means stop, green means go, Lewis. :roll:
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Michael Schumacher crashing into Christijan Albers on the way to the grid. China 2005.

Alonso hitting the turn 4 wall at Canada 2005, getting on the radio to say "something is broke on the car". Yes Fernando, your driving...

DC writing off his title chances at Nurburgring 1999 When he spun out whilst in total control.

Williams putting their drivers on slicks. Monaco 1996.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Sort of along those lines david coulthard (again) binning it on the formation lap of the 1995 (again) Italian grand prix

Ah yes, DC was always a prime candidate for having a race-ending accident in his Williams days :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Juan pablo montoya spinning out from the lead of the 2003 Australian GP and Aryton Senna putting in the barriers at the 1988 monaco grand prix came to mind . Both of them were leading the race comfortably, thread favourite DC inherited Montoya's win if i remember correctly
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

This has been covered before, in this thread here :

http://f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4038

But that hasn't been updated for a while so a few new suggestions are more than welcome!
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

dinizintheoven wrote:...which reminds me. Alain Prost, three times a World Champion at that point, spinning off into retirement on the formation lap of the 1991 San Marino Grand Prix. Not to mention his late-season meltdown. Sacre Bleu!

Alain Prost retiring a healthy (albeit crap) Ferrari in front of the tifosi. On lap -1. priceless. IIRC Berger also spun in the same place a mere second later but kept the engine running and rejoined the track.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I always love it when one driver stuff's it into the back of another driver. Perhaps my favorite example is when Taku creams into the back of M Schumi at into La Source at Spa 2005. Immediately afterwards M Schumi goes over to Taku & tells him exactly what he thought of that move. Come to think of it, that whole incident is identical to when Damon Hill used M Schumi as his brakes in Italy 1995. I wonder whether M Schumi said the same thing to Damon as he did to Taku afterwards. Simliarly Senna forgot where his brake pedal was in Italy 1993 & slamed into the back of Martin Brundle.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

ibsey wrote:I always love it when one driver stuff's it into the back of another driver. Perhaps my favorite example is when Taku creams into the back of M Schumi at into La Source at Spa 2005. Immediately afterwards M Schumi goes over to Taku & tells him exactly what he thought of that move. Come to think of it, that whole incident is identical to when Damon Hill used M Schumi as his brakes in Italy 1995. I wonder whether M Schumi said the same thing to Damon as he did to Taku afterwards. Simliarly Senna forgot where his brake pedal was in Italy 1993 & slamed into the back of Martin Brundle.

In a similar vein you also have a young Vettel running into the back of Webber at Fuji, was it 2008? Webber's reaction after wasn't too pleasant to say the least! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

East Londoner wrote:Lewis Hamilton's performance at the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix. Stuffing up his qualifying, ramming Massa and Maldonado off the road on his clumsy way to 6th, and then the Ali G moment after the race :roll: :lol:

In fact Hamilton and Massa had a lot of rejectful moments together last season. ;)
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Another one that comes to mind is Michael Scumacher rejoining from the pits in Canada and forcing Heinz Harald Frentzen off the track (1998/1999 i beleive, before they reprofiled the pit lane)Talking of the pits, I remember Gerhard Berger coming out of the pits once in his Ferrari and binning it in the wall before the first corner. I think it might have been estoril or hungary.

Also Hamilton deciding to visit the gravel trap at the 2007 chinese grand prix
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

AndreaModa wrote:
ibsey wrote:In a similar vein you also have a young Vettel running into the back of Webber at Fuji, was it 2008? Webber's reaction after wasn't too pleasant to say the least! :lol:

If I'm not wrong it was Fuji 2007...
I don't remember: what was Webber reaction? :roll:

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
ibsey wrote:In a similar vein you also have a young Vettel running into the back of Webber at Fuji, was it 2008? Webber's reaction after wasn't too pleasant to say the least! :lol:

If I'm not wrong it was Fuji 2007...
I don't remember: what was Webber reaction? :roll:

You're right about 2007, his reaction was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvL20cuGY2I
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

AndreaModa wrote:You're right about 2007, his reaction was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvL20cuGY2I

Thank you.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Another one that comes to mind is Michael Scumacher rejoining from the pits in Canada and forcing Heinz Harald Frentzen off the track (1998/1999 i beleive, before they reprofiled the pit lane)Talking of the pits, I remember Gerhard Berger coming out of the pits once in his Ferrari and binning it in the wall before the first corner. I think it might have been estoril or hungary.

Also Hamilton deciding to visit the gravel trap at the 2007 chinese grand prix

Berger's spin was at Estoril and down to an active suspension failure.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

AdrianSutil wrote:
Berger's spin was at Estoril and down to an active suspension failure.

I did think it was strange that he went from one side of the track to the other in practically a split second. Active suspension failure explains that one then, it was an integral part of the car in 92/93 i beleive
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

pasta_maldonado wrote:////Apologies in advance if any thread of this kind has been created in the past////

A thread of this kind called "Unrecognised Reject Actions" was created back in December 2009... ...and somehow ended up horribly entangled in the "Wonderful World of Shoe Spam" thread. I think you are performing a forum service by opening a new thread for this rather than resurrecting the old one :) .

Would you like me to cross-post the "Unrecognised Reject Actions" posts here for completion's sake?
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Montoya has a lot of these:
- Crashing into Tiago Monteiro in the Turkish GP in 2005
- Crashing on his qualifying run at the 2005 British GP on the last turn when he was about to take pole. One of my favorite qualifying sessions, though.
- Spinning on the formation lap at Australia 2006
- Getting black flagged at the 2004 USA GP after he failed to make it back to his main car before the time was up
- Triggering the massive pileup at the start of the 2006 USA GP
- The whole circumstance around his departure to NASCAR in general
- Leaving the Montreal pit lane while the red light was on in 2005
- Brake-testing Ralf at the 2005 Monaco GP, causing an avoidable four car collision and sending him to the back of the grid.

Funny thing is, Montoya was always one of my favorite drivers, but he was always fairly erratic, wasn't he.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
James1978

Post by James1978 »

tristan1117 wrote:Montoya has a lot of these:
- Crashing into Tiago Monteiro in the Turkish GP in 2005
- Crashing on his qualifying run at the 2005 British GP on the last turn when he was about to take pole. One of my favorite qualifying sessions, though.
- Spinning on the formation lap at Australia 2006
- Getting black flagged at the 2004 USA GP after he failed to make it back to his main car before the time was up
- Triggering the massive pileup at the start of the 2006 USA GP
- The whole circumstance around his departure to NASCAR in general
- Leaving the Montreal pit lane while the red light was on in 2005
- Brake-testing Ralf at the 2005 Monaco GP, causing an avoidable four car collision and sending him to the back of the grid.

Funny thing is, Montoya was always one of my favorite drivers, but he was always fairly erratic, wasn't he.

His hissy-fit at Schumacher, Imola 2004, then almost collecting his teammate when he rejoined. :lol:
Indy 2003, taking his drive-throught penalty BEFORE changing to wet tyres when it was chucking it down.
Being collected by Pizzonia when Pizzonia was trying to unlap himself, Spa 2005
Hitting the loose drain cover, China 2005
Him and Ralf colliding, Indy 2002
Wanting to retire a healthy car after a hissy-fit, Hungary 2002.

I'd really like to see him in F1!!! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

tristan1117 wrote:Lewis Hamilton at the 2008 Canadian GP. Red means stop, green means go, Lewis. :roll:

True, although Rosberg compounded the rejectfulness by running into the back of Hamilton - not to mention promptly getting a penalty for reversing back up the pit lane.

Speaking of rejectful moments, including Montoya, I am surprised that nobody mentioned the Verstappen-Montoya collision in the 2001 Brazilian GP, when Verstappen ran into the back of Montoya and took him out of the lead of the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"