2010 Driver Market

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Re: 2010 Driver Market

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:
Henrique wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I get so heartbroken every time a Portuguese driver comes and does awfully, I'm not even sure I want Alvaro to sign up for Manor. He'll be essentially racing on a Simtek...

I couldn't agree more. I'm hoping he goes to a better team, even if he has to spend another year in GP2. Manor is just another Simtek to me.

Realistically though, he's not going to blow away the sport whatever team he could feasibly get in, so you should be pleased to have a Portuguese driver at all. Certainly I wouldn't complain if an Irish driver looked like he could get a seat (Adam Carroll has no chance, I'd love to be proven wrong but it's highly unlikely).

I know, but there's nothing realistic about this. I want him to go into Williams, Williams to produce something as dominant as the FW-14B, and him to become the most boring World Champion ever.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

As the current GP2 crop, Niko Hulkenburg is obviously the most impressive and has shown the pace to get himself a drive. Vitaly Petrov and Pastor Maldonaldo is as you say. Maldonaldo has as many wins as Petrov in GP2, and is faster on his day, but does crash alot, and that will only become more apparent in F1. Petrov would be a better bet. Alvaro Parente should be another popular option as he was able to lead a new GP2 team (Ocean) to a victory this year, and also hopped into a Superleague Formula car and won as well. I expect Guido van der Garde to shine in the future, he did well this year and has already had F1 tests. Jules Bianchi is a name for the future, after winning the F3 Euroseries.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

shinji wrote:Realistically though, he's not going to blow away the sport whatever team he could feasibly get in, so you should be pleased to have a Portuguese driver at all.

Of course I am, but I don't even want someone who will "blow away the sport". I'd just like to have someone who scores regularly, someone who is clearly not a reject, someone at the same level as Heidfeld or Trulli.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

watka wrote:As the current GP2 crop, Niko Hulkenburg is obviously the most impressive and has shown the pace to get himself a drive. Vitaly Petrov and Pastor Maldonaldo is as you say. Maldonaldo has as many wins as Petrov in GP2, and is faster on his day, but does crash alot, and that will only become more apparent in F1. Petrov would be a better bet. Alvaro Parente should be another popular option as he was able to lead a new GP2 team (Ocean) to a victory this year, and also hopped into a Superleague Formula car and won as well. I expect Guido van der Garde to shine in the future, he did well this year and has already had F1 tests. Jules Bianchi is a name for the future, after winning the F3 Euroseries.

Whilst all of this is probably true, and very worthy, we have a driver called BERTRAND BAGUETTE, who wants a seat. And I have no idea whether he can drive a pram or an F1 car or anything in between. But he must have a seat, preferably for Renault. Have you no soul??
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ross Prawn wrote:Whilst all of this is probably true, and very worthy, we have a driver called BERTRAND BAGUETTE, who wants a seat. And I have no idea whether he can drive a pram or an F1 car or anything in between. But he must have a seat, preferably for Renault. Have you no soul??

He should get a seat in a real back marker team, so he'd get into lots of first-corner incidents, therefore allowing Martin Brundle endless puns on being sandwiched.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Ross Prawn wrote:Whilst all of this is probably true, and very worthy, we have a driver called BERTRAND BAGUETTE, who wants a seat. And I have no idea whether he can drive a pram or an F1 car or anything in between. But he must have a seat, preferably for Renault. Have you no soul??

He should get a seat in a real back marker team, so he'd get into lots of first-corner incidents, therefore allowing Martin Brundle endless puns on being sandwiched.

:lol:

Well Baguette did beat Alguersuari in the World Series this year, so he's at least worthy of a Toro Rosso drive, and is probably more mature. Ummmmmmmm, mature cheese and pickle in a baguette...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The main reason for the silly season being on a halt at the moment only can be the uncertainty about Renault.

If they stay in F1 and hire Glock, RBR keep their engine supply and their drivers, and it's Rosberg to Brawn, Kimi to McLaren and somebody else to Manor.

If they were to leave, RBR would go for Cosworths, Mercedes surely would try to buy Vettel out of his RBR contract and put them either in the Brawn or the McLaren, so the services of Kimi wouldn't be required. Such a move would also put the Enstone squad in jeopard, which is why Glock would then sign to drive the CFD-only Simtek.

I hope Glock gets a decent drive. If #2 at the Enstone outfit is such, remains to be seen, but Kubica/Glock can be a pairing as strong as Alesi/Berger were for that team.

Reportedly, Nick Heidfeld is wanted by the Sauber successor to be their lead driver now that they are likely to be on the grid. With the Ferrari customer engines going to them and the Ferrari #3 driver Fisico still looking for a drive, I'm sure he would also be very welcome at Sauber - if and big if that is, if they don't need a pay driver. The Ferrari connection might also help Fisico to join Buemi at Toro Rosso - a move that would render the hiring of rookie Alguesuari a somewhat questionable tactic of building a career for one of their RB Junior Team drivers.
But as long as there is a seat open at one of the Mercedes powered teams, it is unlikely that any German driver will sign anything.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Swiss newspaper Blick is reporting Button and Brawn have reached an agreement. However, I can't vouch for Blick - I don't know whether it's tabloid rag or wiki-worthy news source.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:Swiss newspaper Blick is reporting Button and Brawn have reached an agreement. However, I can't vouch for Blick - I don't know whether it's tabloid rag or wiki-worthy news source.

The fact that it's Swiss makes me instantly question it; how would they know this before anyone else, I wonder?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

German efficiency?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:Swiss newspaper Blick is reporting Button and Brawn have reached an agreement. However, I can't vouch for Blick - I don't know whether it's tabloid rag or wiki-worthy news source.

Supposedly on the same level of Bild and The Sun which ... says enough, I guess.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Klon wrote:

Supposedly on the same level of Bild and The Sun which ... says enough, I guess.

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/2009/10/blick-stunning-photographic-proof.html
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
rffp

Post by rffp »

The Brazilian press has stated that Nelsinho Piquet is close to a deal with Force India!
Poor Liuzzi...
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

rffp wrote:The Brazilian press has stated that Nelsinho Piquet is close to a deal with Force India!
Poor Liuzzi...

More to the point, poor Force India.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

This Mercedes thing screws everything up. Heidfeld to Mercedes. Button to McLaren. And I believe Kimi's out of a drive unless he goes to Sauber or a new team.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

German media reporting Button will stay.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

So who's right?

Ze Germans or the BBC?
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Apparently, it is being reported that Renault have shown some interest in Franck Montagny for their 2nd seat.

With Heidfeld being mentioned by almost all media in connection with the Brawn/Mercedes takeover, this longtime Sauber supporter wonders who could be their main driver next year. Fisichella would be nice, since he could easily come on board as part of the Ferrari engine deal - and he already has been a Sauber driver once in what was one of their best seasons.
I think they should go for an experienced driver or two, but I'm not too keen on Klien, I must say. They might want to take on board a pay driver, though. But who could it be?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Hammer time!

-------

Orange Mercedes Grand Prix / Mercedes
#1 - Jenson Button
#2 - Nick Heidfeld

Okay. I'm going out on a limb here. There's nothing Nick Heidfeld can offer that Jenson Button can't better. But Heidfeld can offer more to th team than Nico Rosberg. Mercedes would be out of their minds to favour two German drivers when they have the unique opportunity of running a car carring the coveted number one in 2010.

-------

Red Bull Racing / Renault
#3 - Sebastian Vettel
#4 - Mark Webber

No-brainer. Vettel and Webber have been confirmed for months.

-------

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes / Mercedes
#5 - Lewis Hamilton
#6 - Nico Rosberg

Rosberg was expected for Brawn/Mercedes, but I can see him going to McLaren in keeping with my philosophy that Mercedes will take Button and Heidfeld.

-------

Scuderia Ferrari
#7 - Felipe Massa
#8 - Fernando Alonso

See Red Bull for my reasoning on this one.

-------

Williams / Cosworth

#9 - Rubens Barrichello
#10 - Nico Hulkenberg

Confirmed again.

-------

Renault F1 Team

#11 - Robert Kubica
#12 - Franck Montagny

With McLaren taking a British driver and Mercedes maing a point of signing a German, Renault decide to enter the foray and sign a Frnechman who is not Grosjean.

-------

Force India / Mercedes
#14 - Adrian Sutil
#15 - Vitantonio Liuzzi

With no love from the Mercedes and McLaren split, Force India are a minor sensation when they announce Nelson Piquet as a possible driver. After a horse head appears in Vijay Mallya's bed, Liuzzi gets the nod and everything is right in the world once more.

-------

Toro Rosso / Ferrari
#16 - Sebastien Buemi
#17 - Brendon Hartley

Toro Rosso seek to have a Hartley/Alguersuari arrangement the way Red Bul did with Liuzzi and Klien in their first season. The FIA say no, and Toro Rosso decide that Alguersuari's awesome surname isn't enough to save him. Hartley is called up, but Jaime is promised he'll get the seat back if Hartley isn't up to speed.

-------

Campos Meta1 / Cosworth
#18 - Vitaly Petrov
#19 - Bruno Senna

As Petro brings title sponsorsip from Gazprom, he gets the "number one" seat and the right to the higher number. Despite upraor from fans, neither Campos driver is particularly bothered by this arrangement: they just want to race.

-------

Virgin F1 / Cosworth
#20 - Anthony Davidson
#21 - Alvaro Parente

Although Davidson has no sponsorship, Alvaro Parente brings money, which covers it. Fans are torn: Davidson gets a drive, but Legard fills in at Radio 5.

-------

Team USF1 / Cosworth
#22 - Jacques Villeneuve
#23 - Pedro de la Rosa

USF1 take the odd step of hiring two older (read: slower) drivers. The idea is to build the team up at the same time as they prepare the likes of Jonathan Summerton for 2011. Whoever places higher at the end of the season will stay with the team; the other will be replaced by Summerton. Villeneuve hopes the number 22 can rub off on him as it did for Hamilton and Button.

-------

1Malaysia Lotus / Cosworth

#24 - Heikki Kovalainen
#25 - Kamui Kobayashi

Jarno Trulli decides to go to NASCAR, and Lotus draft Kovalainen, a team where he will be much more comfrotable. Kamui Kobayashi gets a drive and CAptain hammer is happy because he doesn't have to hear the complaints about him not gettng a drive on the internet. Eveyone wins. Metaphorically. Not on the track.

-------

SauberQADBAK / Ferrari
#26 - Christan Klien
#27 - Pastor Maldonado

With Kubica and Heidfeld gone, long-time tester Klien gets the call-up. Having missed the Campos drive, Pastor Maldonado offers PDVSA money to Sauber despite their relationship with Petronas.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Wasn't Alguersuari confirmed with Toro Rosso for 2010?
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Phoenix wrote:Wasn't Alguersuari confirmed with Toro Rosso for 2010?

Shh.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Wasn't Alguersuari confirmed with Toro Rosso for 2010?

Shh.

:lol:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

And here are my revised predictions for next year...

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
1. Jenson Button
2. Lewis Hamilton
Button has a mediocre season and is soundly thrashed by Hamilton. Jenson gets kicked out of the team at the season's end.

Orange Mercedes-Benz GP
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Nico Rosberg
Kimi switches to Mercedes, who are able to match his salary demands and provide a fast car, with a group of people he knows from the McLaren days. Rosberg partners him, who was simply waiting on which team Mercedes would commit to.

Red Bull-Renault
3. Sebastian Vettel
4. Mark Webber
No surprises here.

Scuderia Ferrari Santander
7. Felipe Massa
8. Fernando Alonso
Ditto as above.

Williams-Cosworth
9. Rubens Barrichello
10. Nico Hulkenberg
Once again, its a done deal.

Renault F1 Team
11. Robert Kubica
12. Lucas di Grassi
Renault gamble on another youth, this time the much more consistent Lucas di Grassi. Was it a wise decision? Only time will tell...

Force India-Mercedes
14. Adrian Sutil
15. Vitantonio Liuzzi
As expected Sutil and Liuzzi are retained, as Liuzzi can't be shifted anyway seeing as he had a contract signed since mid-2009...

Toro Rosso-Ferrari
16. Sebastien Buemi
17. Christian Klien
Klien returns to the Red Bull fold to inject some "experience" into the team. Buemi is kept on while Alguersuari and Hartley are kept on the sidelines until they complete their potty training.

Campos Meta-Cosworth
18. Bruno Senna
19. Vitaly Petrov
Petrov is signed up for his megabucks sponsorship,

Virgin-Cosworth
20. Timo Glock
21. Kamui Kobayashi
Once again, a mix of experience and youth. Manor quite rightly go out on a limb and sign Kobayashi to partner the more expereinced Glock.

USF1-Cosworth
22. Pedro de la Rosa
23. Will Power
De La Rosa is hired after not getting enough money together for a Campos seat, and USF1 expect him to develop the car as he has done at McLaren for years now. Will Power is shipped over from stateside, as Penske still hasn't given him a proper ride in the IRL. And IRL driver in F1...what do we think folks?

Lotus 1Malaysia-Cosworth
24. Jarno Trulli
25. Heikki Kovalainen/Pastor Maldonado
Mike Gascoyne sticks to his policy of signing two experienced drivers with Jarno Trulli and free agent Kovalainen. But it backfires spectacularly, so much that there is no Train for Trulli to drive anymore! :D
Mid-season Lotus become cash-strapped and are forced to replace Kovalainen with pay-driver Maldonado until the seasons end.

Qadbak-Ferrari
26. Nick Heidfeld
27. Giancarlo Fisichella
Heidfeld is retained as team leader after getting snubbed by Mercedes (again), and Fisichella is brought in for free by Ferrari.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Captain Hammer wrote:Hammer time!

-------

Orange Mercedes Grand Prix / Mercedes
#1 - Jenson Button
#2 - Nick Heidfeld

Didnt realise Mercedes had got their sponsors yet lol
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

kostas22 wrote:And here are my revised predictions for next year...

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
1. Jenson Button
2. Lewis Hamilton
Button has a mediocre season and is soundly thrashed by Hamilton. Jenson gets kicked out of the team at the season's end.

Orange Mercedes-Benz GP
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Nico Rosberg
Kimi switches to Mercedes, who are able to match his salary demands and provide a fast car, with a group of people he knows from the McLaren days. Rosberg partners him, who was simply waiting on which team Mercedes would commit to.

Objection! Mercedes should (and I think they will) consider one front at a time.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

homerbhoy wrote:Didnt realise Mercedes had got their sponsors yet lol

They've been heavily linked to Orange, with bwin and Becks said to be minor sponsors.
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Captain Hammer wrote:
homerbhoy wrote:Didnt realise Mercedes had got their sponsors yet lol

They've been heavily linked to Orange, with bwin and Becks said to be minor sponsors.

Well i hope there aint two silver cars on track
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

homerbhoy wrote:Well i hope there aint two silver cars on track

Do you really think Mercedes and McLaren will run the same colours? The schism was not some falling-out; it was a mutual agreement. McLaren will stay red and silver, while Mercedes will do their own thing. Maybe white and silver?

Also, Campos are believed to be considering a silver and light blue scheme.
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Captain Hammer wrote:
homerbhoy wrote:Well i hope there aint two silver cars on track

Do you really think Mercedes and McLaren will run the same colours? The schism was not some falling-out; it was a mutual agreement. McLaren will stay red and silver, while Mercedes will do their own thing. Maybe white and silver?

Also, Campos are believed to be considering a silver and light blue scheme.

I know it wasnt a fall out, I am just saying i hope they dont both have mainly silver. When Midland and McLaren were both on the grid they were similar looking so has been done before.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Glock to Manor is a surprise, I thought he'd get the second Renault seat. Perhaps he decided he couldn't risk waiting to see if they actually stay in the sport or not.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Paul Hayes wrote:Glock to Manor is a surprise, I thought he'd get the second Renault seat. Perhaps he decided he couldn't risk waiting to see if they actually stay in the sport or not.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80177
It's on Autosport.
Personally I think it's a strange move for Timo. But then again Manor looks more secure than Renault at this present moment
EDIT: And he also become the first driver NOT to retire from F1 after driving for Toyota :mrgreen: :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Wizzie wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:Glock to Manor is a surprise, I thought he'd get the second Renault seat. Perhaps he decided he couldn't risk waiting to see if they actually stay in the sport or not.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80177
It's on Autosport.
Personally I think it's a strange move for Timo. But then again Manor looks more secure than Renault at this present moment
EDIT: And he also become the first driver NOT to retire from F1 after driving for Toyota :mrgreen: :P

Including their test drivers, sans Nakajima...
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

If anything, Glock to Manor makes me feel a little better about Manor as a whole. It feels like a reassurance that they're not going to cock around with entering F1, they're putting together a solid package. Major sponsor, decent engine, improving, good driver.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

It's surprising that at this late stage (November), there are no more drivers confirmed than listed below.
edit: I'll edit this list as new official announcements come along.

(Brawn) Mercedes
03 Nico Rosberg

RBR
05 Sebastian Vettel
06 Mark Webber

McLaren Mercedes
02 Lewis Hamilton
01 Jenson Button

Ferrari
07 Fernando Alonso
08 Felipe Massa

Williams Cosworth
14 Rubens Barrichello
15 Nico Hülkenberg

Renault
16 Robert Kubica

Force 1ndia Mercedes
18 Adrian Sutil
19 Tonio Liuzzi

Toro Rosso Ferrari
20 Sebastien Buemi

USF1 Cosworth

Manor Cosworth
24 Timo Glock

Campos Cosworth
26 Bruno Senna

Lotus Cosworth

Sauber Ferrari <--- still needs a grid slot, but at least they are back in the hands of Sauber (edit: 11/27/09)

When is the testing about to begin?
Last edited by Yannick on 27 Nov 2009, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

That's because there's no major end-of-season testing.

BBC Radio Sheffield reporting Lucas Di Grassi as Glock's team-mate at Manor.

Also, I suspect the numbers for the three original new teams will simply be given alphabetically.
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Captain Hammer wrote:Also, I suspect the numbers for the three original new teams will simply be given alphabetically.

You are a bit pedantic eh
JamesAllenShoeTrader

Post by JamesAllenShoeTrader »

Drivers in italics are my prediction- others are confirmed or as good as confirmed.

McLaren Mercedes
Jenson Button
Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes GP

Nico Rosberg
Nick Heidfeld

RBR

Sebastian Vettel
Mark Webber

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

Williams Cosworth
Rubens Barrichello
Nico Hülkenberg

Renault

Robert Kubica
Lucas di Grassi

Force India Mercedes

Adrian Sutil
Vitantonio Liuzzi

Toro Rosso Ferrari
Sebastien Buemi
Jaime Alguersuari

USF1 Cosworth
Pedro de la Rosa
Jonathan Summerton

Manor Cosworth
Timo Glock
Kamui Kobayashi

Campos Cosworth
Bruno Senna
Vitaly Petrov

Lotus Cosworth
Jarno Trulli
Heikki Kovalainen

Sauber Ferrari
Romain Grosjean
Giedo van der Garde
Inspired by reject spam and an infamous F1 reject commentator.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:BBC Radio Sheffield...

What? How do you?... How do they?... Wow! :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:BBC Radio Sheffield...

What? How do you?... How do they?... Wow! :lol:

You want to know the secret to my success? I'm actually Rupert Murdoch.

However, it seems the Beeb were wrong: Radio Sheffield are the only ones to have reported it, while Di Grassi has said in interviews that he's aiming at Renault.
homerbhoy wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Also, I suspect the numbers for the three original new teams will simply be given alphabetically.

You are a bit pedantic eh

I prefer the term "knowledgeable".
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Well done Captain on another prediction - Kimi's sitting out this season, probably to Tommi Makinen racing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80187
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.