Sayonara, cowboy!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Minardi Man

Re: Sayonara, cowboy!

Post by Minardi Man »

I definitely wouldn't say I have lost all respect for Sauber, but certainly I've lost some.
I just don't see Gutierrez deserving an F1 drive yet, his performance in GP2 this year was poor in my opinion overall, almost being beaten by his rookie teammate does not to me a midfield F1 driver make.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Peter Sauber wrote:Yes, we'll have a new driver next season. So let's prepare him by giving him one practice session! Derp.
Trump 2016
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Gutierrez for next year's RotY. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

James1978 wrote:Gutierrez for next year's RotY. :)

Possibly, but only if Caterham doesn't take van der Garde.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

pi314159 wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... this thread is for Cowboy, not for pre-emptively bashing his replacements. I'd like to keep my memory of Kamui's remaining time in F1 a happy one, if i can.

Why not reminisce about his races (or his rejectful moments, for those who are so inclined), or something like that?
mario

Post by mario »

Snoozey2 wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... this thread is for Cowboy, not for pre-emptively bashing his replacements. I'd like to keep my memory of Kamui's remaining time in F1 a happy one, if i can.

Why not reminisce about his races (or his rejectful moments, for those who are so inclined), or something like that?

Or, given that it looks increasingly like he is going to be leaving the sport, looking to his future prospects instead. I wouldn't be surprised if, come 2013, we see Kobayashi appearing in Toyota's sports car racing line up given that Nakajima ended up reappearing there - which, given Toyota's three victories this season against the full strength of Audi, might not necessarily be all that bad a career move.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

James1978 wrote:Monisha for next year's RotY. :)

Fixed.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

mario wrote:Or, given that it looks increasingly like he is going to be leaving the sport, looking to his future prospects instead. I wouldn't be surprised if, come 2013, we see Kobayashi appearing in Toyota's sports car racing line up given that Nakajima ended up reappearing there - which, given Toyota's three victories this season against the full strength of Audi, might not necessarily be all that bad a career move.

Kobayashi joining Toyota's WEC programm? Would be nice to see if he leaves Formula 1. Given that he started his carreer there, it seems possible. Also, I think that Toyota want to have a Japanese driver in their line up, and he is (at least in Formula 1) a better driver than Nakajima, whose most rememberable moment this year was crashing into the DeltaWing. So I'd like to see him replacing Nakajima at Toyota, who was in my opinion the weakest driver in their lineup this year.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote:
mario wrote:Or, given that it looks increasingly like he is going to be leaving the sport, looking to his future prospects instead. I wouldn't be surprised if, come 2013, we see Kobayashi appearing in Toyota's sports car racing line up given that Nakajima ended up reappearing there - which, given Toyota's three victories this season against the full strength of Audi, might not necessarily be all that bad a career move.

Kobayashi joining Toyota's WEC programm? Would be nice to see if he leaves Formula 1. Given that he started his carreer there, it seems possible. Also, I think that Toyota want to have a Japanese driver in their line up, and he is (at least in Formula 1) a better driver than Nakajima, whose most rememberable moment this year was crashing into the DeltaWing. So I'd like to see him replacing Nakajima at Toyota, who was in my opinion the weakest driver in their lineup this year.

Given the old links between Toyota and Kobayashi, the prospect of Toyota hiring Kobayashi for their WEC program does exist - they followed a similar procedure with Nakajima, and we have seen a number of LMP1 and LMP2 outfits hiring ex-F1 drivers.
Nakajima did also stick the TS030 on pole position for the 6 Hour race in Fuji earlier this year and was responsible for piloting that car to victory in the final stint, so at least he had some positive points to counterbalance his earlier accident. Still, I would agree that Kobayashi would be a suitable replacement for Nakajima, although there is also the possibility that, should Toyota expand to a two car team for 2013, that Toyota would want both drivers on board.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1n ... areer.html
Reminds me of HWNSNBM Supporter's Club once set up by his manager to land him a drive for 2004.
That's so sad that Japanese companies that once had money to sponsor pitiful drivers/teams now don't even care about a real up-and-coming talent like Kobayashi :(
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

The final race has been run.
Time to make good on my promise: the Japanese broadcast of Suzuka 2012, in its entirety.

Last edited by mario on 29 Nov 2012, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link after concerns expressed by other posters
girry

Post by girry »

The Real Taki Inoue reports that Kamui has already gathered around 650k Euros via his support site.

Now - let's just keep our feet down, let's not make conclusions of that Boullier-Romain gif, let's all just wait and see....
when you're dead people start listening
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Dj_bereta wrote:
James1978 wrote:Monisha for next year's RotY. :)

Fixed.

Seconded. Can we give RotY assists?
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

I'd be sad to see Kamui leave F1, but unfortunately I think there is no option for him, that is if he doesn't want to take a Caterham/Marrussia/HRT seat. I'd like to him upagainst Paul Di Resta, at Force India, but I don't think that would happen - partially because I don't see him at a British team.

I'd have to bet he'll join Toyota's WEC programme, and have some success to boot.
mario

Post by mario »

HonoraryNortherner wrote:I'd be sad to see Kamui leave F1, but unfortunately I think there is no option for him, that is if he doesn't want to take a Caterham/Marrussia/HRT seat. I'd like to him upagainst Paul Di Resta, at Force India, but I don't think that would happen - partially because I don't see him at a British team.

I'd have to bet he'll join Toyota's WEC programme, and have some success to boot.

I would have thought that the bigger obstacle for Kamui making it into the Force India team would be financial backing, or rather the lack of it - although he has reportedly raised about €650,000 in donations from the website he set up recently, it is still low compared to the sort of sponsorship other drivers can raise (I believe that Sutil's contract with Medion is worth about €2 million a year, perhaps more, whilst some other potential drivers, like Bianchi, have raised closer to €4 million). If Kamui could perhaps match the sponsorship levels that Sutil could raise - €2 million may be an achievable target - then his chances of the second seat at Force India might improve somewhat, although the odds on him getting a seat there are probably still fairly long.
Daxam_Stark

Post by Daxam_Stark »

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/now-k ... -at-lotus/

Make of this what you will....Don't know if the source is reliable though.

Edit- Just a rumor though. Sooooooo, COULD it happen?That is the question
The friendly neighborhood Arkham Asylum patient.
mario

Post by mario »

Daxam_Stark wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/now-kobayashi-could-replace-grosjean-at-lotus/

It is possible but, in my personal opinion, unlikely.

Now, it is true that Grosjean's erratic form did cost the team a considerable number of points earlier in the season, but whether he cost them enough points to have cost them 3rd in the WCC is perhaps debatable. As of the German GP, which marks the midpoint of the season, Lotus were 4th in the WCC but only one point behind McLaren (with McLaren suffering a noticeable drop in pace around that time), so at that point in time 3rd in the WCC was potentially there for the taking.
However, with the upturn in performance of the top three teams (and especially the upturn in Massa's performance) in the latter half of the year, is it plausible that Grosjean could have scored another 76 points - the minimum needed to have beaten McLaren in the WCC - given that, save for Abu Dhabi, Kimi couldn't really match the performance of the top three teams either? I have my doubts about that.

Added to that, having the support of a major sponsor like Total is likely to weigh in on Grosjean's part (especially if a French GP can be organised since that could increase Grosjean's marketability). Can they be confident that Kobayashi would bring in enough points in the WCC to offset the potential loss in sponsor revenue that could come from ditching Grosjean if they alienated Total in the process? The presence of Boullier within the team is also likely to be in Grosjean's favour, even if it did look like Boullier was a little fed up in some of the recent races with Grosjean's antics on track.
Equally, Grosjean, if he can moderate his over enthusiasm, did show considerable promise earlier in the year, with podium finishes in Bahrain, Canada and Hungary that were earned on merit (he finished fairly close to Kimi in Bahrain and Hungary in terms of time, whilst in Canada he beat him comprehensively). Might the team believe that they could get better returns from improved driver coaching for Grosjean rather than taking a driver that, although he performed more consistently last year, could potentially be a bit slower than Grosjean?

Overall, my gut feeling is that, although Lotus seem to be taking their time over the decision, that Grosjean will probably stay on.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

...and isn't Boulier Grosjean's manager?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Snoozey2, that was not a smart move in my opinion. If the FOM starts reading this page either you or us are screwed as they're going to send you or us a cease-and-desist letter. Remove that magnet link immediately. :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

FMecha wrote:Snoozey2, that was not a smart move in my opinion. If the FOM starts reading this page either you or us are screwed as they're going to send you or us a cease-and-desist letter. Remove that magnet link immediately. :roll:

What in the blue hell is a magnet link? :?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

East Londoner wrote:
FMecha wrote:Snoozey2, that was not a smart move in my opinion. If the FOM starts reading this page either you or us are screwed as they're going to send you or us a cease-and-desist letter. Remove that magnet link immediately. :roll:

Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

East Londoner wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_link
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Don't think I've ever read so much jargon in my life. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Nuppiz wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_link

What would that be in layman's terms?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:What would that be in layman's terms?

Well, usually when you want to download/seed something from a torrent, you download a torrent file on your computer and then open it in a BitTorrent client. A magnet link is sort of a direct link to the torrent stream, so by clicking it your BitTorrent client will immediately join it and start downloading/seeding. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference, as torrent files aren't bigger than a few dozen KB at max, so the direct link is not more than a few secs faster.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

Given your concerns, I have decided to remove the link that had been posted by Snoozey2 (Snoozey2, I hope that you do not object to this but given the concerns expressed above, it may be better to be safer rather than sorry).
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

I'd strongly bet that GRSJN will get the boot out of Enstone/Lotus, too much negative press and too much financial turmoil with the team to keep him and hi extensive crash bill on.
Will Kamui get his seat though? I don't know, but I'd love that to be the case.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

mario wrote:
Daxam_Stark wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/now-kobayashi-could-replace-grosjean-at-lotus/

Might the team believe that they could get better returns from improved driver coaching for Grosjean rather than taking a driver that, although he performed more consistently last year, could potentially be a bit slower than Grosjean?

Don't you folks get it? Kobayashi to join Lotus as Grosjean's driving coach! You heard it here first. :lol:
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Who else could get the Lotus seat if they drop Grosjean? Is Kubica is any fit state to make a comeback (if so he's probably the best choice)?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

James1978 wrote:Who else could get the Lotus seat if they drop Grosjean? Is Kubica is any fit state to make a comeback (if so he's probably the best choice)?

This was aired during the Texas weekend:
http://youtu.be/GcLE2X8hU4A
-*:-
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

James1978 wrote:Who else could get the Lotus seat if they drop Grosjean? Is Kubica is any fit state to make a comeback (if so he's probably the best choice)?

Probably just wishful thinking, but d'Ambrosio is still the official reserve driver and has the advantage of also being managed by Boullier...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

dear mr Booleeahh

pleese manige Mr Cobahyahshe and give him a driv in the lowtoss as he will be betta then Mr grossjean who kan not cope with raceing too cars at ones.

yurs

david aged 4
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
mario

Post by mario »

On another note, it looks like Kobayashi's attempts to raise funding from the public is doing quite well - the latest reports on F1Fanatic indicate that he has raised just shy of £1 million as of today, so it looks like the donations are still rolling in at a respectable rate. It may not be the largest amount of sponsorship that a driver has brought this season, but it is at least beginning to get to the point where it might start influencing decisions.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/11/30/k ... s-1m-fans/
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:On another note, it looks like Kobayashi's attempts to raise funding from the public is doing quite well - the latest reports on F1Fanatic indicate that he has raised just shy of £1 million as of today, so it looks like the donations are still rolling in at a respectable rate. It may not be the largest amount of sponsorship that a driver has brought this season, but it is at least beginning to get to the point where it might start influencing decisions.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/11/30/k ... s-1m-fans/

... namely Bernie's decisions. At which point does he realise there is something going on here, pick up the phone and have a chat with his mate Vallya?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Don't get too excited, this million won't help him. Barrichello managed to acquire 3.5 million in sponsorship when he tried to stay with Williams, however it didn't help him at all. If Force India lies and the seat is at least in parts down to money, Kobayashi has no chance in hell (come on, come on, come and get it) of getting said cockpit.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Klon wrote:Don't get too excited, this million won't help him. Barrichello managed to acquire 3.5 million in sponsorship when he tried to stay with Williams, however it didn't help him at all. If Force India lies and the seat is at least in parts down to money, Kobayashi has no chance in hell (come on, come on, come and get it) of getting said cockpit.

So what will Kamui do with a million pounds? Refunds would be quite difficult. Aside from charity, he could buy himself a season or two in other series, like the BTCC, or any GT series in Europe. Although he's much more likely to return to Japan, doing either Super GT or WEC for Toyota.
MIA SAN MIA!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ferrarist wrote:
Klon wrote:Don't get too excited, this million won't help him. Barrichello managed to acquire 3.5 million in sponsorship when he tried to stay with Williams, however it didn't help him at all. If Force India lies and the seat is at least in parts down to money, Kobayashi has no chance in hell (come on, come on, come and get it) of getting said cockpit.

So what will Kamui do with a million pounds? Refunds would be quite difficult. Aside from charity, he could buy himself a season or two in other series, like the BTCC, or any GT series in Europe. Although he's much more likely to return to Japan, doing either Super GT or WEC for Toyota.

I imagine these are pledges, not actual money transfers yet - much like with Kickstarter.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

That is true, although in that instance it could be pointed out that Bruno Senna was able to raise about four times what Rubens could ($12-14 million against that $3.5 million). Furthermore, Rubens's departure from Williams was probably not entirely down just to sponsorship - his relationship with the senior management at Williams was reportedly quite strained given that Rubens was quite critical of the performance of the team, so there probably was a slight personal element in the decision to fire Rubens too (i.e. the senior management elected to work with a more amenable driver, even if the mechanics and engineers were much more strongly in favour of keeping Rubens).

In the case of Kobayashi, the only reason why it might be the case that this sponsorship might be enough to start swaying things in his favour is because that amount of money is more comparable to the amount of sponsorship his potential rivals can raise. We know that Mallya is considering hiring Sutil again based on remarks he made in recent interviews, and Sutil's deal with Medion is thought to be worth about €2 million a year - that £1 million, which is about €1.2 million, Kobayashi has raised is not that dissimilar to what Sutil can raise.
Alguersuari has been occasionally mentioned in the press as another candidate, and we know that he is unlikely to bring a significant amount of sponsorship either - so whilst the amount of money that Kobayashi has raised is still quite low, it has somewhat levelled the playing field between Kobayashi and the other more experienced drivers that are competing for that seat.

The odds of Kobayashi continuing on in F1 in 2013 are still probably quite long and I think that Kobayashi is probably on his way out of F1, but they have probably marginally improved - even so, though, it may prove to be a short term option at best given that Kobayashi can't continue raising revenue this way every year.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:

Probably just wishful thinking, but d'Ambrosio is still the official reserve driver and has the advantage of also being managed by Boullier...

Giving the good relations between Total and the RACB National Team, they'll consider him as a Plan B. But sadly, he will never be first choice for any of the teams.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Kamui's Twitter wrote:One more season
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010