BBC viewers

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Re: BBC viewers

Post by sswishbone »

If BBC cut F1 there'd be lots of questions asked, like why it is economical to have American Football covered in its place.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

sswishbone wrote:If BBC cut F1 there'd be lots of questions asked, like why it is economical to have American Football covered in its place.

They'll be paying peanuts for American Football compared to F1, though. I mean, F1 is occasionally accused of being a niche sport in the UK - but American Football is a sport that takes place in the middle of the night with rules nobody understands, and (even compared to F1) no bugger watches it.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Paul Hayes wrote:
sswishbone wrote:If BBC cut F1 there'd be lots of questions asked, like why it is economical to have American Football covered in its place.

They'll be paying peanuts for American Football compared to F1, though. I mean, F1 is occasionally accused of being a niche sport in the UK - but American Football is a sport that takes place in the middle of the night with rules nobody understands, and (even compared to F1) no bugger watches it.

I don't understand it personally, and I really don't see why the Handegg organisers are trying to promote it here. It'll never work because:

a)Everyone (the majority, that is) likes football
b) Cricket, rugby, tennis, F1, golf, and athletics are mor epopular here
c) No-one likes the term American Football. Becuase for reasons discussed elsewhere, it's not football :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well actually I know a number of people, myself included, who follow the NFL and support teams in it. A good mate of mine from uni is a Giants fan, one of my old housemates is a Saints fan, and his ex supports the Colts. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who just want to see the Superbowl because it's a big event, they might know very little about the game, but like to watch it anyway. So I can see why the BBC are showing it, because it's growing in popularity in the UK, and they're even having regular season games at Wembley now, which are sold out every year.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

[quote="AdrianSutil"]Well, I think the BBC are showing a full re-run of every race on Sky a few hours after the race (If I'm wrong correct me), so I'll be doing that. I'll have to make sure I'm nowhere near this forum or the TV until though :(

No that is actually correct :)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:

I don't understand it personally, and I really don't see why the Handegg organisers are trying to promote it here. It'll never work because:

a)Everyone (the majority, that is) likes football
b) Cricket, rugby, tennis, F1, golf, and athletics are mor epopular here
c) No-one likes the term American Football. Becuase for reasons discussed elsewhere, it's not football :lol:

LOL
A foot ball is round because it is a ball :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

The thing that winds me up the most is The Voice. I know it's not sport so it probably comes out of a different portion of the budget, but think of the money that has been spent on Tom Jones, Will.I.Am, Jessie J, ridiculous swivelling chairs etc and the result is basically The X Factor with a superiority complex and an inflated sense of its own importance. And at the same time they cut down to 10 live Grands Prix. And yet they still send a full team (apart from EJ) to every race - hardly a cost-effective way of doing it :roll:

Slightly left-field suggestion, but I would like Jake to be replaced with the Ski Sunday double act of Graham Bell and Ed Leigh. They may not have covered motorsport before - they may not even like motorsport to be fair - but the thrills and spills of ski racing can probably bear comparison with the speed and danger of F1. They have experience of working on other sports - between them they covered BMX, beach volleyball and triathlon at the Olympics. They also have boundless enthusiasm and are consummate professionals, and have a relaxed style that would give good continuity from what Jake has brought to the coverage. They're not used to working with pundits as they are both the presenters and the pundits on Ski Sunday, but it's something they could get used to I'm pretty sure.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Warren Hughes wrote:The thing that winds me up the most is The Voice. I know it's not sport so it probably comes out of a different portion of the budget, but think of the money that has been spent on Tom Jones, Will.I.Am, Jessie J, ridiculous swivelling chairs etc and the result is basically The X Factor with a superiority complex and an inflated sense of its own importance. And at the same time they cut down to 10 live Grands Prix. And yet they still send a full team (apart from EJ) to every race - hardly a cost-effective way of doing it :roll:

I never like those sort of shows, the only interesting part is all the people that fail badly
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

eurobrun wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:The thing that winds me up the most is The Voice. I know it's not sport so it probably comes out of a different portion of the budget, but think of the money that has been spent on Tom Jones, Will.I.Am, Jessie J, ridiculous swivelling chairs etc and the result is basically The X Factor with a superiority complex and an inflated sense of its own importance. And at the same time they cut down to 10 live Grands Prix. And yet they still send a full team (apart from EJ) to every race - hardly a cost-effective way of doing it :roll:

I never like those sort of shows, the only interesting part is all the people that fail badly

I think that might be my least favourite part (although I hate all of it) - vulnerable people taken advantage of, being built up as you know they are by the show's producers only to be mocked and humiliated in front of a national audience which judges them on frivolous, material criteria. Of course, the ones who actually have a bit of 'talent' are exploited too, built up to think they're something they're not. I feel sorry for the people who are exploited, I feel angry at the culture that takes this as 'entertainment', and I feel something close to hatred for the people who are so cynical as to use it all to make money. I also hate what it's done to the music industry, but the music industry has contributed to its own downfall and the human side is worse.

Did this post belong in the Rantbox?

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Warren Hughes wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

I think that might be my least favourite part (although I hate all of it) - vulnerable people taken advantage of, being built up as you know they are by the show's producers only to be mocked and humiliated in front of a national audience which judges them on frivolous, material criteria. Of course, the ones who actually have a bit of 'talent' are exploited too, built up to think they're something they're not. I feel sorry for the people who are exploited, I feel angry at the culture that takes this as 'entertainment', and I feel something close to hatred for the people who are so cynical as to use it all to make money. I also hate what it's done to the music industry, but the music industry has contributed to its own downfall and the human side is worse.

I don't know about that but what I do know is that has to be in contention for post of the year.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I never like those sort of shows, the only interesting part is all the people that fail badly

I don't know about that but what I do know is that has to be in contention for post of the year.

I only really like it as it makes me feel less shite about myself for 5 minutes. Even though I know I would be even worse than them
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

eurobrun wrote:I only really like it as it makes me feel less shite about myself for 5 minutes. Even though I know I would be even worse than them

No offence but that's one of the things I'm not keen on, there are many positive things in the world to make you feel good about yourself without enjoying other people failing. Don't forget that many of these people probably also suffer from chronic low self-esteem and are trying to do something to make them feel good about themselves in a world where the only quality that seems to matter is the ability to sing. They are then exploited, mocked, humiliated and spat back out by an operation that cares not a bit for their welfare, leaving them even more fragile and vulnerable than they were before. And meanwhile Cowell, Barlow and their faceless cronies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Eurobrun, maybe you should try to see yourself in light of who you are and not how you compare to others (and no, I know that's not an easy thing to do in practice but it's worth having a go at).

EDIT I hope this didn't come across as harsh because that's not the tone I was going for :?

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Warren did you ever see the Black Mirror episode on Channel 4 a while back about this? It was the second of the three, called "15 Million Merits". All three were superb in my opinion, and quite frightening when you compare them to modern society and think that actually we're not far off any of what all three episodes cover.

Here's the link on 4od: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/4od#3327867

People outside the UK, I urge you to find a proxy or some method of watching Black Mirror as it's so thought provoking. Really interesting stuff.

More towards the thread topic though, it's stuff like this that in my opinion consistently puts Channel 4 above the BBC in my eyes. The Beeb can do sports coverage well, as well as news and factual documentaries, but that's about it. Channel 4 has over the past 5 years or so really come into its own with unique programming. Their coverage of the paralympics was awful, but they gave it a good go, and that's the point. They're willing to take stuff on and give it a shot, just like bringing live American football back to free-to-air British TV last year. I don't know if they still do it but they used to show a whole range of different sports on weekend mornings, stuff like British F3, FRenault as well as other sports too. It's been quite a while since I've looked into their sports programming if I'm honest.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

That's the only one of the three Black Mirror episodes I watched, and I second your recommendation. It's really excellent, albeit seriously uncomfortable viewing at times.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
People outside the UK, I urge you to find a proxy or some method of watching Black Mirror as it's so thought provoking. Really interesting stuff.

More towards the thread topic though, it's stuff like this that in my opinion consistently puts Channel 4 above the BBC in my eyes. The Beeb can do sports coverage well, as well as news and factual documentaries, but that's about it.

You forgot their period dramas! How could you forget their period dramas?! :o (Oh, and Doctor Who, but that's another matter...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

More towards the thread topic though, it's stuff like this that in my opinion consistently puts Channel 4 above the BBC in my eyes. The Beeb can do sports coverage well, as well as news and factual documentaries, but that's about it.

You forgot their period dramas! How could you forget their period dramas?! :o (Oh, and Doctor Who, but that's another matter...).

Period f***ing dramas?! I'd rather be on a period than watch that absolute rubbish!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Warren Hughes wrote:No offence but that's one of the things I'm not keen on, there are many positive things in the world to make you feel good about yourself without enjoying other people failing. Don't forget that many of these people probably also suffer from chronic low self-esteem and are trying to do something to make them feel good about themselves in a world where the only quality that seems to matter is the ability to sing. They are then exploited, mocked, humiliated and spat back out by an operation that cares not a bit for their welfare, leaving them even more fragile and vulnerable than they were before. And meanwhile Cowell, Barlow and their faceless cronies are laughing all the way to the bank.

They chose their own fate. Nobody ever forced anybody to take part in any type of casting show, at least not this side of North Korea. They chose to take part in these games and deserve every bit of ridicule, abuse and exploitation they suffer from the system. "The tall grass gets cut down first," so don't grow tall or do it somewhere where nobody looks until you are too large to be easily cut down. People who are so stupid as to stand out in shows like these musn't be protected, they must be humiliated and humbled so they learn from it.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Warren Hughes wrote:
Slightly left-field suggestion, but I would like Jake to be replaced with the Ski Sunday double act of Graham Bell and Ed Leigh. They may not have covered motorsport before - they may not even like motorsport to be fair - but the thrills and spills of ski racing can probably bear comparison with the speed and danger of F1. They have experience of working on other sports - between them they covered BMX, beach volleyball and triathlon at the Olympics. They also have boundless enthusiasm and are consummate professionals, and have a relaxed style that would give good continuity from what Jake has brought to the coverage. They're not used to working with pundits as they are both the presenters and the pundits on Ski Sunday, but it's something they could get used to I'm pretty sure.

Well ed leigh hosts red bull x fighters ( those guys on bikes doing death defying tricks ) :shock: and now that Jake is LEAVING to host bt's new premier league coverage after this season so graham and ed would be well suited to the job :)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Replacement for Jake Humphrey?

"Fans couldn't be more on the edge of their seat if they'd just spent an afternoon with Max Mosley."

That is all.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

kostas22 wrote:Replacement for Jake Humphrey?

"Fans couldn't be more on the edge of their seat if they'd just spent an afternoon with Max Mosley."

That is all.

I have no idea who he is

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eurobrun wrote:

That is all.

I have no idea who he is

To be fair, you're too young to. James Richardson is the only football pundit in this country capable of independent thought. Far more entertaining than that bloody Jake Humphrey as well.

"The biggest title challenge since Danny Shittu tried to write his autobiography."
"What do Clarence Seedorf and Pete Doherty have in common? They both get caught in possession an awful lot."
"Roma are like Channel Five; they are just not the same without Totti."
"Like George W. Bush with a model plane kit, you'll be glued to the box."

And also referencing both Giovanni Trapattoni and Star Wars in the same sentence - "It's a Trap" when talking about the Italian national team back when Trapattoni was in charge of it.

I really fail to see any better candidate, even if motorsports isn't what he's done in the past. NFL and Football up till now.

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

James Richardson is the only man who would make me watch the BBC coverage even though I have Sky F1. I very much doubt if he will do it, great though that would be!

What I would give to have Italian football back on terrestrial TV with him presenting.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

That is all.

I have no idea who he is

To be fair, you're too young to. James Richardson is the only football pundit in this country capable of independent thought. Far more entertaining than that bloody Jake Humphrey as well.

"The biggest title challenge since Danny Shittu tried to write his autobiography."
"What do Clarence Seedorf and Pete Doherty have in common? They both get caught in possession an awful lot."
"Roma are like Channel Five; they are just not the same without Totti."
"Like George W. Bush with a model plane kit, you'll be glued to the box."

And also referencing both Giovanni Trapattoni and Star Wars in the same sentence - "It's a Trap" when talking about the Italian national team back when Trapattoni was in charge of it.

I really fail to see any better candidate, even if motorsports isn't what he's done in the past. NFL and Football up till now.

Based on that alone and nothing else, I'm sold on this guy.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Suzi Perry is the new presenter for BBC F1

She presented MotoGP for over a decade, so I assume she should be pretty good, or at least better than Humphrey, who should have stayed on CBBC which he was much more suited to.

And with the obvious exception of India, the BBC's live races for 2013 look pretty good. No Monaco though, which is surprsing.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I wonder how angry Lee McKenzie will be at this? :lol:

Still would have gone for James Richardson tbh, he's woefully under-utilised at ESPN & BBC.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ive just read that the Monaco GP wont be live on the BBC!?!?! I am, well, I am absolutely, utterly....

Actually, Im not that fussed, another borefest trimmed and edited into a watchable race. Result!
Just For One Day...
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

India will be Live on the bbc in 2013. Why? its was rubbish last year
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

rachel1990 wrote:India will be Live on the bbc in 2013. Why? its was rubbish last year

Either a) the rubbishness has made it cheap

or

b) its still a new race AND YOU WILL WATCH IT UNTIL YOU LIKE IT!!!!!!!
Just For One Day...
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Do some people still not realize how the races are decided? The BBC start by picking 3 races to show live, then Sky choose 3 to have exclusively, then after that they take it in turns to pick one at a time until all the races are chosen. Clearly with this system, both channels are going to end up with some of the less desirable races. It wouldn't surprise me if, for the last pick, the BBC had a choice of India or Bahrain, and they went for India.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

tc3j3r wrote:Do some people still not realize how the races are decided?.

Erm, no. :lol:

They should do like they do the draw for football competitions, 20 numbered balls, each corresponding to the order of the calendar. It'd be a heck of a lot more interesting... :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

i am suprised by that because she has 2 young kids , so that is a surprise
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm quite surprised the BBC chose the "TBA" July 21 slot!

Great that they got Canada though, and I actually prefer India to Korea to be honest!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Interesting that Perry got the gig - like I suspect many other people, I'd expected McKenzie to get it. Perhaps she's also off elsewhere, and they haven't announced it yet...?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

On the plus side, Suzi Perry has a personality, which will be an improvement on Jake.

On the negative, I'm pretty sure that she's only ever been interested in bikes previously, hasn't she? (Whatever the blurb on the website says about her loving 'motorsport')
In fact, I distinctly remember one interview she gave (can't remember if it was in print or online) where she raved about bikes and simultaneously slagged off F1. Maybe someone can find it.

I'll stick with Sky then, not that I was ever likely to switch back (especially for 'TBC' if it doesn't happen at all!)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:I'm quite surprised the BBC chose the "TBA" July 21 slot!

:lol:
Just For One Day...
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

That leads me to believe London is the anonymous venue.
mario

Post by mario »

TheBigJ wrote:That leads me to believe London is the anonymous venue.

I severely doubt that - the suggestion to convert the former Olympics site was formally rejected some time ago as not being remotely viable, whilst the proposals for an event in central London have turned out to be nothing but hot air.
I suspect that the return of the Turkish GP is more likely given that FOM have been talking to the regional authorities for some time about a possible race, even if the potential cost of that event is proving to be a sticking point. Failing that, the other likely scenario is that they'll simply drop that event altogether - Bernie's already intimated that he'd be prepared to do that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Suzi Perry is an awful choice in my opinion. First of all, she didn't present MotoGP "for over a decade", she did World Superbikes until about 2003 then switched to MotoGP when the BBC got the rights to it. She then started missing races around 2008 before quitting completely. Since then we've had the woeful Jennie Gow who couldn't hack it, and the much better Matt Roberts who is doing a cracking job.

I fail to see why she'd be any better than Jake Humphrey, and choosing between Suzi or Lee McKenzie to present BBCF1 is like trying to decide which way I'd want to die - I'd rather not pick either.

The BBC should have gone left-field and picked someone new, a bit like what they did with Humphrey. I bet she doesn't last more than 2 seasons.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Suzi Perry is an awful choice in my opinion. First of all, she didn't present MotoGP "for over a decade", she did World Superbikes until about 2003 then switched to MotoGP when the BBC got the rights to it. She then started missing races around 2008 before quitting completely. Since then we've had the woeful Jennie Gow who couldn't hack it, and the much better Matt Roberts who is doing a cracking job.

I fail to see why she'd be any better than Jake Humphrey, and choosing between Suzi or Lee McKenzie to present BBCF1 is like trying to decide which way I'd want to die - I'd rather not pick either.

The BBC should have gone left-field and picked someone new, a bit like what they did with Humphrey. I bet she doesn't last more than 2 seasons.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the BBC is simply looking for a stop gap presenter until they can find a convenient time to back out of their contract with FOM - I know that they ostensibly have a contract until 2018 under the agreement they have with Sky, but I would not be entirely surprised if they left the sport before then.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AndreaModa wrote:I fail to see why she'd be any better than Jake Humphrey, and choosing between Suzi or Lee McKenzie to present BBCF1 is like trying to decide which way I'd want to die - I'd rather not pick either.

I don't think Dr Baker will like this comment. :lol:

It's been too long since I last broke Baker's Law...