The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
wsrgo

Re: The GP2/GP3 Thread

Post by wsrgo »

2013 Bahrain GP2 Round:
FEATURE RACE FINISHING ORDER
Fabio Leimer, Stefano Coletti, Alexander Rossi, Felipe Nasr, Jolyon Palmer, Sam Bird, Adrian Quaife-Hobbs, Tom Dillmann, Simon Trummer, Johnny Cecotto Jr.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Dillmann with reverse-grid pole. This pleases me greatly.

I was very impressed with Rossi; I thought that Caterham would have a pretty bleak season this year. Now they've got rid of the dead-weight Ma Qinghua, they actually seem in pretty good shape. Barring Can'tamasas of course.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Ataxia wrote:Dillmann with reverse-grid pole. This pleases me greatly.

I was very impressed with Rossi; I thought that Caterham would have a pretty bleak season this year. Now they've got rid of the dead-weight Ma Qinghua, they actually seem in pretty good shape. Barring Can'tamasas of course.

Holy cow, did I just spot a 'Ma' in his name?? :shock:
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It was a good race for Bahrain, even if the front 2 were unchallenged all race.

Though the officials made some strange decisions:

First of all Charlie Whiting held them on the grid for the warm up lap way too long and this probably caused Ericsson to stall, the last red light was on for a good 10 seconds!
Secondly Robin Frijjns was given a drive through penalty for causing a collison, whilst he was in last place already and miles behind anyone else.

But strangest of all, though I may be wrong on this, they gave Rene Binder a drive through penalty for forcing Mitch Evans off the track but it was actually teammate Kevin Giovesi that forced Evans off!
Message me on Discord.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shadaza wrote:Secondly Robin Frijjns was given a drive through penalty for causing a collison, whilst he was in last place already and miles behind anyone else.

Looks like a collision to me.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Stramala wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Secondly Robin Frijjns was given a drive through penalty for causing a collison, whilst he was in last place already and miles behind anyone else.

I think the point Shadaza meant was that the drive-through was a pointless penalty as he was so far back...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:
Stramala wrote:

I think the point Shadaza meant was that the drive-through was a pointless penalty as he was so far back...

So what? Why should the stewards pick and choose when punishments should be doled out based on the position of a car afterwards? It's not fair to the other competitors if some cars don't have penalties applied for a driving infringement just because of their position on the track. I'm not sure I would even have awarded a penalty for that, but seeing as they felt it was a punishable offence, it was the right thing to give Frijns the penalty regardless of his current on-track position. Suggesting otherwise is silly.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia wrote:
Stramala wrote:

I have to agree with Stramala on this one. Yes, Frijns might have been miles behind, but the facts are the stewards felt his actions deserved a drive-through penalty, and acted accordingly. It was the only thing they could've done. If they hadn't given him a drive-through, it would have set a precedent, and then you'd have everyone up in arms about penalties they received when they too were miles down the order. Also, if they had taken no action because of Frijns position, where would they draw the line for future incidents? It would just open a massive can of worms.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

That was a close, very close finish!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And better still, it's a win for that driver I'm supposed to be parallelled with via that strange post in the HWNSNBM forum. More like that, Sam!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

Shizuka wrote:Image

That was a close, very close finish!

Yes, turned into a very good race - pity they had to sacrifice coverage of the top three to show the Quaife-Hobbs/Calado/Leimer/Palmer/Abt battle, but at least they caught the key moments. Great to have 4 Brits in the top 8!

I think they need to look at the drive-thru penalty when it isn't a real penalty. I don't think anyone is arguing that they shouldn't have bothered, maybe they should have deferred it to the next race, or make it a 5 place grid drop next time. the problem is that the innocent driver(s) have already had their race ruined and nothing can give them that back.

(Interesting, and disappointing, to see that Perez has brought GP2-style racing to the McLaren team battle)

DG
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

With several GP3 announcements recently, here's what the grid looks like:
ART: Conor Daly, Facu Regalia, Jack Harvey
Arden: Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz Jr, Robert Visoiu
Carlin: Nick Yelloly, Eric Lichtenstein, Luis Sa Silva
Trident: Giovanni Venturini, David Fumanelli, Emanuele Zonzini
Koiranen: Patrick Kujala, Aaro Vainio, Kevin Korjus
Jenzer: Patric Niederhauser, Alex Fontana, Samin Gomez
Manor: Tio Ellinas, Dino Zamparelli, TBA
Bamboo: Carmen Jorda, Nick Cassidy, TBA

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

No Alice Powell on the grid yet ? That's disappointing, even more so because Carmen Jorda, who somehow managed to DNQ twice last season, is confirmed in a seat. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

East Londoner wrote:No Alice Powell on the grid yet ? That's disappointing, even more so because Carmen Jorda, who somehow managed to DNQ twice last season, is confirmed in a seat. :(

Alice Powell has no money, whereas Jorda has plenty. I think 2013 will be a fight between the Ardens and the ARTs.

Is anyone else unable to connect to the F1Rejects IRC channel?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

wsrgo wrote:Bamboo: Carmen Jorda, Nick Cassidy, TBA

A correction here, it's not Nick Cassidy, it is Melville McKee, the British driver who was 8th in last year's Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0. Cassidy, winner of the last two Toyota Racing Series events, is the leading favourite for the unfilled Manor seat.

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:No Alice Powell on the grid yet ? That's disappointing, even more so because Carmen Jorda, who somehow managed to DNQ twice last season, is confirmed in a seat. :(

Alice Powell has no money, whereas Jorda has plenty. I think 2013 will be a fight between the Ardens and the ARTs.

Is anyone else unable to connect to the F1Rejects IRC channel?

Alice Powell is doing the MotorSportVision F3 Cup this year, a British championship. She has already won the first two races.

As for the IRC channel, no I can't either.

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

The 2013 GP3 grid is now complete, with Irish driver Ryan Cullen signing for Manor, and former Red Bull Junior Team member Lewis Williamson with Bamboo..

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

We've got GP2 this weekend, and Pal Varhaug has confirmed he is not taking part at Barcelona for Hilmer. His teammate Robin Frijns has done just the opposite. No earthly clue as to who will replace Varhaug.

The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

wsrgo wrote:We've got GP2 this weekend, and Pal Varhaug has confirmed he is not taking part at Barcelona for Hilmer. His teammate Robin Frijns has done just the opposite. No earthly clue as to who will replace Varhaug.
Nice that Frijns has a ride this weekend, hopefully it won't be as bad as his run in Bahrain.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

British driver Jon Lancaster will replace Pal Varhaug at Hilmer for Barcelona.

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

wsrgo wrote:British driver Jon Lancaster will replace Pal Varhaug at Hilmer for Barcelona.

Surprising, as he has no money.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

wsrgo wrote:British driver Jon Lancaster will replace Pal Varhaug at Hilmer for Barcelona.

Now there's a driver that seems (to me at least) to have had a bit of an on-off career...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

2013 Spain GP2 Round:
FEATURE RACE STARTING ORDER:
1. Marcus Ericsson(DAMS)
2. Stephane Richelmi(DAMS)
3. Felipe Nasr(Carlin)
4. Sam Bird(RUSSIAN TIME)
5. Stefano Coletti(Rapax)
6. Fabio Leimer(Racing Engineering)
7. James Calado(ART)
8. Robin Frijns(Hilmer)
9. Kevin Ceccon(Trident)
10. Kevin Giovesi(Lazarus)
11. Jolyon Palmer(Carlin)
12. Daniel Abt(ART)
13. Sergio Canamasas(Caterham)
14. Tom Dillmann(RUSSIAN TIME)
15. Jon Lancaster(Hilmer)
16. Jake Rosenzweig(Addax)
17. Alexander Rossi(Caterham)
18. Julian Leal(Racing Engineering)
19. Mitch Evans(Arden)
20. Rene Binder(Lazarus)
21. Nathanael Berthon(Trident)
22. Rio Haryanto(Addax)
23. Johnny Cecotto, Jr.(Arden)
24. Simon Trummer(Rapax)
25. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs(MP)
26. Daniel de Jong(MP)

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

This last GP2 race had everything, Tom Dillman had a seasons worth of drama by himself that race!

First win for Frijjns, awesome overtaking from Nasr in 2nd and a controversial 3rd for Palmer.
Message me on Discord.
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

After watching that GP2 race, I can understand the hype some of you guys give Frijjns. What an awesome drive ! Give him an F1 seat now!
The whole race was a really good spectacle with Dillman for pure entertainment whilst Berthon was ROTR

Meanwhile the GP3 race was a bore in comparison...
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

Shadaza wrote:This last GP2 race had everything, Tom Dillman had a seasons worth of drama by himself that race!

First win for Frijjns, awesome overtaking from Nasr in 2nd and a controversial 3rd for Palmer.

Not surprisingly Palmer gets a "drive-through" penalty dropping him to 10th, which means that Hilmer get at 1 - 3 result, so if Frijns was impressive in winning, what about Jon Lancaster??

No testing, only second weekend in a GP2 car, never driven on the Pirellis before.....pretty amazing really

DG
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wow, WHAT a race!

I know the last move didn't pay off, but do you see what I mean about Dillmann now? Definitely deserved a podium.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Nathanael Berthon for ROTR. He managed to hit two cars at same time :lol:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Backmarker wrote:

Surprising, as he has no money.

Neither had Varhaug. Neither does Frijns. So I guess Daly never paid either.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Absolutely ridiculous driving from Johnny Cecotto. What was he thinking? He could have taken half the field out with that move.He's starting to make Maldonado look like an Angel. That part of the track is an uphill section so that could have been a wild ride for Canamasas who himself isn't the cleanest of racers but even he wouldn't have done that. If the stewards don't do something about Cecotto i will in the wise words of Mr Vettel "eat my hat". Canamasas must be wondering why other drivers are so attracted to his rear wing because that's the second day in a row that he's had his rear wing shorn off by another car. Maybe at Monaco he should do what Williams did at San Marino in 2001 and write "Keep your distance" On the back of his car.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Absolutely ridiculous driving from Johnny Cecotto. What was he thinking? He could have taken half the field out with that move.He's starting to make Maldonado look like an Angel. That part of the track is an uphill section so that could have been a wild ride for Canamasas who himself isn't the cleanest of racers but even he wouldn't have done that. If the stewards don't do something about Cecotto i will in the wise words of Mr Vettel "eat my hat". Canamasas must be wondering why other drivers are so attracted to his rear wing because that's the second day in a row that he's had his rear wing shorn off by another car. Maybe at Monaco he should do what Williams did at San Marino in 2001 and write "Keep your distance" On the back of his car.

This, I feel really bad for Canamasas as he was slicing through the field and would have deserved the 5th place finish.

Cecotto was leading a Trulli train of epic proportions though! Which lead to crazy "kindergarten" racing at the end.
Message me on Discord.
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Shadaza wrote:Cecotto was leading a Trulli train of epic proportions though! Which lead to crazy "kindergarten" racing at the end.

It was amateur hour from a driving standards point of view, entertaining though for TV. I want to see the stewards be firmer with their penalties and I think that there are many incidents to be reviewed here starting from the Cecotto/Canamasas incident which was bordering on dangerous and that triggered the rest imo... the stewards need to sort it as next race is Monaco...

Well done to Frijns, it would have been awesome had he managed to win this race as well!
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Here are the ROTR's in my opinion:

Feature Race: Jolyon Palmer: Was far too aggressive in his defense of his podium place and he eventually threw it away in the stewards room

Sprint Race: Johnny Cecotto: How he didn't end up getting a penalty after that ridiculous driving I will never know.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Johnny Cecotto needs to be banned from all racing forever. Immediately. What an idiot. That was the worst driving I've seen in my life - he puts Andy Neate to shame.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

And to think this is the same driver who made that super tire call at Germany and raced hard but fair in all the other top results he scored. By the way looks like a lot of people have something against Andy Neate but why and what for.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Kimi-ICE wrote:And to think this is the same driver who made that super tire call at Germany and raced hard but fair in all the other top results he scored. By the way looks like a lot of people have something against Andy Neate but why and what for.

Because hes the spawn of Satan.

Nah, I've disliked him for a couple of years now. It started off in 2010, when he nerfed Andrew Jordan off at one of the tracks (I happen to be a big Jordan fanboy btw). Then, in 2011, he did the same thing, but in a very capable car i.e He was taking a race winning car, and using it to crash into privateers (who I also admire); same story in 2012, culminating in that big accident at Brands Hatch which just confirmed how hopeless he really is.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kimi-ICE wrote:And to think this is the same driver who made that super tire call at Germany and raced hard but fair in all the other top results he scored. By the way looks like a lot of people have something against Andy Neate but why and what for.

Hmm, let's see. Scoring 79 points in a works MG last season, when his team mate Plato scored 376 and finished 3rd in the championship. He was driving for freaking Triple 8, and he couldn't get a top-5 result all season. The fact that his replacement Sam Tordoff already has 103 points and hasn't finished a race lower than 8th so far just says it all.

And that utterly disgraceful piece of driving at Brands Hatch in October where he just drove straight into Adam Morgan.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Here are the ROTR's in my opinion:

Feature Race: Jolyon Palmer: Was far too aggressive in his defense of his podium place and he eventually threw it away in the stewards room

Sprint Race: Johnny Cecotto: How he didn't end up getting a penalty after that ridiculous driving I will never know.

I agree with nominating Cecotto for the sprint race. But the reject of the feature race should be Berthon. Doing the same thing earned Grosjean a ROTR last year.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:

Hmm, let's see. Scoring 79 points in a works MG last season, when his team mate Plato scored 376 and finished 3rd in the championship. He was driving for freaking Triple 8, and he couldn't get a top-5 result all season. The fact that his replacement Sam Tordoff already has 103 points and hasn't finished a race lower than 8th so far just says it all.

And that utterly disgraceful piece of driving at Brands Hatch in October where he just drove straight into Adam Morgan.

Ah i was just messing i know how hapless he really is and how he doesn't live up to his name at all: Just like Scott Speed :lol:. The fact that his new team hasn't even got on the grid yet just speaks volumes

BTW you know you're in trouble when we say you make Deletraz look like Fangio which i still think is impossible to do
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

GP2 looks like more Nascar than GP2 itself. But I have to admit, I liked the thriller ending in the last laps.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.