Favourite Reject Driver and Team

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
noisebox

Re: Favourite Reject Driver and Team

Post by noisebox »

I'd like to put in a special mention for Porsche who turned up in 1991 with an engine for Footwork which was essentially a V12 comprising of 2 TAG V6's bolted together with the turbos removed. It was huge, weighing in at 418lbs, a full 110lbs heavier than the Ferrari V12 of that year. Added to that it was chronically unreliable and slow. It was ditched mid season and the partnership with Porsche was fully disolved before the end of the year.

I know an engine cannot qualify for reject status, but how could a company of with a motorsport pedigree like Porsche have got it so wrong?
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
rffp

Post by rffp »

noisebox wrote:I'd like to put in a special mention for Porsche who turned up in 1991 with an engine for Footwork which was essentially a V12 comprising of 2 TAG V6's bolted together with the turbos removed. It was huge, weighing in at 418lbs, a full 110lbs heavier than the Ferrari V12 of that year. Added to that it was chronically unreliable and slow. It was ditched mid season and the partnership with Porsche was fully disolved before the end of the year.

I know an engine cannot qualify for reject status, but how could a company of with a motorsport pedigree like Porsche have got it so wrong?

This was the only season that Arrows/Footwork ended up scoring 0 point.
The team was relegated to pre-qualifying and were only able to surface out of that by switching to Cosworth engines.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Goa

Post by Goa »

Favorite reject team? Super Aguri, no contest. They were like an even more lovable Minardi once they apparently figured out what they were doing. I didn't care for them at first and wrote them off as a joke of a team simply out there to make up numbers (Yuji Ide's exploits didn't exactly help with that perception either), but they started to win me over toward the end of that first year when they began to show that they may be something more than a farce, then I fell in love with them the next season when they came so close to totally embarrassing Honda. If only their sponsors paid up and Honda didn't leave them out in the cold...

As far as drivers are concerned, it would probably have to be Zanardi. I would go with Jim Hall because of all he did to advance the technological aspect of racing after he moved into team ownership, but he only just escaped rejectdom, finishing his career with three points.
chrismc_DC2

Post by chrismc_DC2 »

noisebox wrote:I'd like to put in a special mention for Porsche who turned up in 1991 with an engine for Footwork which was essentially a V12 comprising of 2 TAG V6's bolted together with the turbos removed. It was huge, weighing in at 418lbs, a full 110lbs heavier than the Ferrari V12 of that year. Added to that it was chronically unreliable and slow. It was ditched mid season and the partnership with Porsche was fully disolved before the end of the year.

I found a video on youtube earlier of tyre testing in June 1991 pre-British GP...

There is brief footage of a Footwork-Porsche on it too :oops: :P Sounds the part....but was a really feeble engine as you say

The same guy has posted further June pre-British GP tyre testing footage from 1988 & 1990 too. Nice little find i thought
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

chrismc_DC2 wrote:

I found a video on youtube earlier of tyre testing in June 1991 pre-British GP...

There is brief footage of a Footwork-Porsche on it too :oops: :P Sounds the part....but was a really feeble engine as you say

The same guy has posted further June pre-British GP tyre testing footage from 1988 & 1990 too. Nice little find i thought

Can you post the link to this footage, please?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
chrismc_DC2

Post by chrismc_DC2 »

Here ya go....the same guy has more footage from other years too ;) This was my favourite time in F1 for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTCmzQ4mh5c
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Thanks chrismc_DC2! Great stuff there! It's my favourite period of F1 as well, 1989-1993.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Niallllll

Post by Niallllll »

As an irishman i have to say my favourite reject driver is david kennedy. He presented the irish coverage of F1 in the 90's and there was always the odd reference of him being in F1 but back then I could never find any records on his F1 career anywhere. It took a few years before i finally managed to find out about his illustrious career in F1 and he instantly became my favourite reject.

He still presents F1 on Setanta and will often watch that station with him as opposed to the truly abhorrent you know who on BBC.

In terms of team, it has to be Forti (The man reasons have been well stipulated above). First year of F1 i truly remember and i can remember on occasions willing rain or some upset just to allow them in for 1 point.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

midgrid wrote:Forti's my favourite reject team as well - having grown accustomed to the close-fought F1 of recent years, it's a shock to go back to 1995 and see these two cars (and the other backmarkers) up to ten seconds off the pace at some circuits. In addition to what Steve already said, I think Forti was also the last team not to be classified in a GP simply for being too slow to compete the 90% race distance cut-off point, at the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix.

Right year, wrong race though, since it was the Argentinean Grand Prix where they were too slow to be classified, both Moreno and Diniz being nine laps down by the end of the race, and not completing the 90 per cent distance to be classified. At the San Marino Grand Prix, Diniz and Moreno completed 56 laps out of 63, which works out at 89 per cent, but according to Autosport's results, and those on the Formula One website, they were classified, although Autocourse 1995 disagrees and has them both down as being unclassified. I would go with the F1 website on this one though, as I have yet to find a mistake there, and I have found errors in both Autocourse and Autosport in the past.

As for my favourite reject team, it's a tough choice between Osella and Forti (I think Osella do count, as Gartner's fifth place at the Italian GP of 1984 was not eligible for the World Championship), but I will go for Forti in the end, as when you think about how much money they had in 1995, their performance wasn't that great, while Osella never had any money, but managed to last for twelve years (if you include the Fondmetal era). Interestingly, of course, there are rumours that the old 1992 Fondemetal was where the design for the 1995 Forti originated, so there is something of a link between these two teams.

As for my favourite reject driver, it's another tough choice between Badoer or Ghinzani, but I'll opt for Badoer, based purely on the fact that he is so unlucky to be there (Nurburgring 1999 anyone?), and the fact that if Ferrari had given him a drive, even just to fill in in 1999, he would have done just as good a job, if not a better one, than Salo in my view. Perhaps Ferrari should put him in this year's Ferrari, he may be just a bit more committed than Raikkonen after all ;) .
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Irisado wrote:
midgrid wrote:Forti's my favourite reject team as well - having grown accustomed to the close-fought F1 of recent years, it's a shock to go back to 1995 and see these two cars (and the other backmarkers) up to ten seconds off the pace at some circuits. In addition to what Steve already said, I think Forti was also the last team not to be classified in a GP simply for being too slow to compete the 90% race distance cut-off point, at the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix.

Right year, wrong race though, since it was the Argentinean Grand Prix where they were too slow to be classified, both Moreno and Diniz being nine laps down by the end of the race, and not completing the 90 per cent distance to be classified. At the San Marino Grand Prix, Diniz and Moreno completed 56 laps out of 63, which works out at 89 per cent, but according to Autosport's results, and those on the Formula One website, they were classified, although Autocourse 1995 disagrees and has them both down as being unclassified. I would go with the F1 website on this one though, as I have yet to find a mistake there, and I have found errors in both Autocourse and Autosport in the past.

Yes, I was using Autocourse to reference that comment. I think this proves that the FIA undoubtedly had a pro-Forti agenda. :lol:

Incidentally, race fastest laps from the Argentine GP:
1. Michael Schumacher, 1:30.522
19. Domenico Schiattarella, 1:35.945
20. Pedro Diniz, 1:40.683
21. Roberto Moreno, 1:40.730
:shock:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

midgrid wrote:
Irisado wrote:
midgrid wrote:Incidentally, race fastest laps from the Argentine GP:
1. Michael Schumacher, 1:30.522
19. Domenico Schiattarella, 1:35.945
20. Pedro Diniz, 1:40.683
21. Roberto Moreno, 1:40.730
:shock:

Thanks for reminding me of those lap times. I don't have any of my F1 books here in Nottingham, so I have to do a lot my analysis from memory or use Formula One's website, which doesn't give you as much information as I would like.

I think that the really telling statistic from that race was that the Fortis were six laps adrift of Schiattarella, and he was the slower Simtek driver! That really does show how bad Forti were at the start of 1995, and while they did improve, the only reason why they managed to compete with Pacific was because Pacific had no money to improve their car, and had to end up leasing their second car out to Lavaggi and Deletraz. The fact that the Forti had a manual gearbox for most of the year spoke volumes too.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'm going to break the mold here, since these have not been suggested so far.

My favourite reject team award goes to Kauhsen, for simply attempting to copy Lotus, only for the ground effect to eventually turn out to be useless.

Favourite reject driver award: I'm a Belgian, and so I will nominate a Belgian as well, but not on this website. He was a jazz artist in the 40's and 50's, born in Fulham because of WWII, 25 entries and 23 starts from 1950 to 1955, best result: a couple of 7th places. It can only be the one, the only the great...Johnny Claes!!!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Since you have resurrected this topic, I might as well include my opinion.

Favourite reject driver: Olivier Grouillard, simply because he was a pain in the arse for other drivers, and Alliot and De Cesaris were not rejects. I found his blocking funny.
Favourite reject team: Simtek, they had absolutely no luck whatsoever. It was the team equivalent of Luca Badoer.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I too shall jump on the slowly returning bandwagon.

Favourite driver: Luca Badoer. How many ladders has he walked under in his life?!
Favourite team: Coloni. Partly due to Roberto Moreno's massive contribution to the team :mrgreen:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

kostas22 wrote:Favourite driver: Luca Badoer. How many ladders has he walked under in his life?!

I would have put Badoer, or Tarquini but it's good having drivers who are a real nuisance.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well, my favourite reject driver has to be Alex Zanardi. What a brave and determined guy! As for my favourite team, it's Simtek (not Virgin, Simtek proper). They had a lot of potential and were very professional. Bad luck sank them.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Can't believe that I never contributed to this thread!

Driver: I'd say Yuji Ide. I can't remember anyone else being quite so out of their depth as Yuji in F1, it was fun whilst it lasted. Other favourites are Tora Takagi (he deserved a better drive!), Allan McNish (he was unlucky to be a reject), and Andrea Montermini (drove for the holy trinity of Pacific, Simtek, and Forti!)

Team: Most reject teams were before my time, so I'd say Super Aguri. Otherwise I'd say Life and Andrea Moda. I would also call myself a Simtek man over Pacific.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

My favorite reject team and driver.

Hmmm.
Driver is easy Giovanni Lavaggi, why because he's better than everyone thinks.

Team is a hard one, i guess it will be Fondmetal and Life.
The Fondmetal wasn't even that bad, they where quick only what happend to a lot of team, their cars just broke down any time.
And Life well because of their immense engine a W12 !!! Great concept, Sucked a lot in the F1`.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

Life is my favorite reject team, and my favorite reject driver would be Jean Denis Deletraz.
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm gonna say for team Andrea Moda. 1992 was the first year I really followed it in full so I couldn't believe how anyone could be si useless.

For a driver having found out some more information via this website, I'm gonna say Al Pease. Being black-flagged for being too slow and also running to the pits to get a battery, fitting it yourself only to finish 43 laps down is incredibly legendary. Not only that, he was born in Darlington, my home town no less, respect!!! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

James1978 wrote:I'm gonna say for team Andrea Moda. 1992 was the first year I really followed it in full so I couldn't believe how anyone could be so useless. (Life were just slightly too early for me)

For a driver having found out some more information via this website, I'm gonna say Al Pease. Being black-flagged for being too slow and also running to the pits to get a battery, fitting it yourself only to finish 43 laps down is incredibly legendary. Not only that, he was born in Darlington, my home town no less, respect!!! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

My reject teams are two: Connew (I really love the team's story from the first moment I've read it. A car made by someone not 'originally' from racing world, with virtually no money, little resources, a troublesome project, several mishaps until starting a race, retire and then quickly vanish. I don't know if it's qualified for a profile, but would be nice if so) and Pacific (Fondness coming because of Grand Prix 2 game. I loved the 1994 team livery and running with Bertrand Gachot was amazing but got sad that when I read the team profile found out the team made results equal a piece of garbage).

As a reject driver, it would be Piercarlo Ghinzani. Nothing represents better Osella than him (apart his ventures in other teams) and I kinda like how he kept himself holding on at a almost peniless team, a car that wouldn't deliver anything anywhere and, when leaving, only finding worse pastures. He is pretty much the 'unlucky' Pierluigi Martini.

If it hadn't scored 5 points, Bertrand Gachot would be classified in this thread. Not also because of the aformentioned Pacific, but for being the 'less talented Moreno', always meddling with reject teams and cars, and when having a good team to run, waste everything.
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

FantometteBR wrote:My reject teams are two: Connew (I really love the team's story from the first moment I've read it. A car made by someone not 'originally' from racing world, with virtually no money, little resources, a troublesome project, several mishaps until starting a race, retire and then quickly vanish. I don't know if it's qualified for a profile, but would be nice if so) and Pacific (Fondness coming because of Grand Prix 2 game. I loved the 1994 team livery and running with Bertrand Gachot was amazing but got sad that when I read the team profile found out the team made results equal a piece of garbage).

As a reject driver, it would be Piercarlo Ghinzani. Nothing represents better Osella than him (apart his ventures in other teams) and I kinda like how he kept himself holding on at a almost peniless team, a car that wouldn't deliver anything anywhere and, when leaving, only finding worse pastures. He is pretty much the 'unlucky' Pierluigi Martini.

If it hadn't scored 5 points, Bertrand Gachot would be classified in this thread. Not also because of the aformentioned Pacific, but for being the 'less talented Moreno', always meddling with reject teams and cars, and when having a good team to run, waste everything.

Congrats on 100 posts! :)
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

wmetcalf68 wrote:
FantometteBR wrote:My reject teams are two: Connew (I really love the team's story from the first moment I've read it. A car made by someone not 'originally' from racing world, with virtually no money, little resources, a troublesome project, several mishaps until starting a race, retire and then quickly vanish. I don't know if it's qualified for a profile, but would be nice if so) and Pacific (Fondness coming because of Grand Prix 2 game. I loved the 1994 team livery and running with Bertrand Gachot was amazing but got sad that when I read the team profile found out the team made results equal a piece of garbage).

Congrats on 100 posts! :)

I feel like winning BAFTA (don't ask me why, it's some frickling meme they are putting around Internets)

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
James1978

Post by James1978 »

FantometteBR wrote:If it hadn't scored 5 points, Bertrand Gachot would be classified in this thread. Not also because of the aformentioned Pacific, but for being the 'less talented Moreno', always meddling with reject teams and cars, and when having a good team to run, waste everything.

There wasn't exactly much Moreno could have done about losing his Benetton seat (agree about Gachot though)! :)
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

James1978 wrote:
FantometteBR wrote:If it hadn't scored 5 points, Bertrand Gachot would be classified in this thread. Not also because of the aformentioned Pacific, but for being the 'less talented Moreno', always meddling with reject teams and cars, and when having a good team to run, waste everything.

There wasn't exactly much Moreno could have done about losing his Benetton seat (agree about Gachot though)! :)

You're right, but I guess if Moreno scored more constantly for Benetton (1991 car wasn't a piece of trash given Piquet's performances) he could had kept his seat until the end of the season and find anything not named Andrea Moda to drive for 1992.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Favourite Team: Forti. I first got involved in F1 in 1995 and always found their bright yellow cars brilliant to watch. Such a shame the Shannon Group messed them about, as the FG-03 looked like being a decent car (Badoer actually qualified ahead of Rosset's Arrows at Canada).

Favourite driver: Luca Badoer. After watching Forti's demise in 96, I was pleased to see Badoer pounding round for Ferrari as their tester. When he returned in 1999 I was delighted. Must admit, I shared Luca's tears at the Nurburgring. When he returned in 09 I knew straightaway he'd be lucky to qualify and finish anywhere other than last, but was still pleased to see him finally drive a Ferrari in a Grand Prix.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Hmmm never much thought about it until now. But I'll try my best.

Favorite (Reject) Team: Rial. As bad as they were, they managed to occasionally do well. Even if their boss was crazy, and the team was inept at times. I kind of like the look of the car as well.

Favorite (Reject) Driver: Danny Sullivan. Partly because he's an American, but also because of him being an everyman. Lumberjack, taxi cab driver, movie actor, F1 Driver, CART Driver, and Indy 500 winner. That's one hell of a resume! I also think he might have been great in F1 if he gotten more used to it. (Like his stint in RAC in 83.)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Favourite Reject Team: Minardi
25 years in the business and no major successes. Enough said.

Favourite Reject Driver: HWNSNBM
Do I have to say why? :D
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DOSBoot wrote:Hmmm never much thought about it until now. But I'll try my best.

Favorite (Reject) Team: Rial. As bad as they were, they managed to occasionally do well. Even if their boss was crazy, and the team was inept at times. I kind of like the look of the car as well.

Favorite (Reject) Driver: Danny Sullivan. Partly because he's an American, but also because of him being an everyman. Lumberjack, taxi cab driver, movie actor, F1 Driver, CART Driver, and Indy 500 winner. That's one hell of a resume! I also think he might have been great in F1 if he gotten more used to it. (Like his stint in RAC in 83.)

The Rial had a stunning livery
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I don't have a favourite reject team and my favourite reject driver is Luca Badoer. He had a good potential, he was not so bad (despite is three letters abbreviation) and he never scored a point not because he was not a good driver but because he was unlucky too. I was watching European grand prix, back in 1999, but I didn't remember it well and I had forgotten that he was in 4th place when he retired. I watched Nurburgring race again a few months ago on Youtube and I realized that was his best race... I think he really deserved that 4th place.
I didn't agree with criticism during his Ferrari time in 2009. He hadn't been racing for years and it was impossible to him to have good results: Ferrari chose to let him race when it was too late... and at Ferrari he wasn't so much worse than Fisichella during the end of the season.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

redbulljack14 wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Hmmm never much thought about it until now. But I'll try my best.

The Rial had a stunning livery

There's just something about blue and white going together. Which I guess is why I like Ligier, and the early 1990s Williams cars so much.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Favourite reject driver. Its a toss up between Slim Borgudd & J D Delatraz. Mainly because of what their on track actions caused a certain Murray Walker to shout out in amazement (thus sending me into a fit of giggles). However I'll have to give it to Slim Borgudd the ex drummer from ABBA. I mean who else can get the whole of ABBA to turn up & hang around the ATS hospitality tent!

Also he made his debut around 35 years old & showed a fair amount of ability on occasion. However the thing that really sticks in my mind with him has got to be his attempted 3 point turn at South Africa in 1982. In the middle of a race, using most of the race track to do it, whislt the narrowly avoiding smashing into the other cars who were at full speed. It would have been an almighty accident had he connected with one of them. This caused Murray Walker to shout out something like "I haven't got the slightest idea, what he thinks he is doing!".

Favourite team, to many to choose, Forti, Coloni, Fondmental, Simtek, etc? I would probably have to opt for Rial for the same reasons as DOSBoot. Also because they had Andrea de Cesaris & Gunter Schmid in the same team. Talk about fireworks :lol: .
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

The doer of bad, Luca Badoer, in his yellow Forti with his yellow helmet is very nostalgic.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Also, one man disaster area Ricardo Rosset is something of a favourite too, not least for ramming into the Spa 98 melee at racing speed.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

fjackdaw wrote:Also, one man disaster area Ricardo Rosset is something of a favourite too, not least for ramming into the Spa 98 melee at racing speed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh I remember that & his Spa 1998 actions nearly caused dear Murray Walker a heart attack, as it was clearly responsible for the "OHHHHHH! MY GOODNESS ME!" part of his commentary.

Also remember thinking that Ralf Schumi (who was right in the middle of it) managed to take avoiding action in the melee, despite having had significantly less time to react than Rosset would have done. It's almost as if Rosset saw it as a chance to get revenge on the rest of the pack. For all those times he was cut up when being lapped.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

ibsey wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:Also, one man disaster area Ricardo Rosset is something of a favourite too, not least for ramming into the Spa 98 melee at racing speed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh I remember that & his Spa 1998 actions nearly caused dear Murray Walker a heart attack, as it was clearly responsible for the "OHHHHHH! MY GOODNESS ME!" part of his commentary.

Also remember thinking that Ralf Schumi (who was right in the middle of it) managed to take avoiding action in the melee, despite having had significantly less time to react than Rosset would have done. It's almost as if Rosset saw it as a chance to get revenge on the rest of the pack. For all those times he was cut up when being lapped.

In the replay of the incident, you can see Ralf manage to park his Jordan on the grass and wait until the rest of the field had gone into the melee. God knows how he wasn't collected, one of the Arrows came so close to wiping him out. One of the Minardis managed to escape by just dropping back from the rest of the field, and waiting for Rosset to smash into the pack, whilst the other Minardi smacked into the wrecks of Coulthard, Irvine and the Arrows.

Favourite reject team has to be Onyx, because their 1989 season was impressive, with a good car and that PODIUM in Portugal. They deserved to be unrejectified, and they came so close to doing so. In 1990, it all went up the creek, with levels of unprofessionalism hithero unseen, only outstripped by Andrea Moda since.

Luca Badoer is my favourite reject, because he just kept persevering with the crap he had to drive. And who knows what might have happened to his career had his gearbox not decided to go bang that fateful day in Germany in 1999, robbing him of his 4th place. Seriously, the most unlucky driver ever :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Does Stefan count as a reject team? Sending your may or may not exist cars to a race you're not invited to has to count for something right?

Seriously though, my favorite reject team is Parnell. The ultimate "what if?" Mario driving for one of America's best teams/constructors. If they only focused on the WDC, who knows what could have been?

Favorite driver, Alex Yoong. Proof that government interfence in racing isn't a good thing. But give the kid credit, he did admit to being out of shape, and he did almost score a point.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Wallio wrote:Does Stefan count as a reject team? Sending your may or may not exist cars to a race you're not invited to has to count for something right?

Seriously though, my favorite reject team is Parnell. The ultimate "what if?" Mario driving for one of America's best teams/constructors. If they only focused on the WDC, who knows what could have been?

Favorite driver, Alex Yoong. Proof that government interfence in racing isn't a good thing. But give the kid credit, he did admit to being out of shape, and he did almost score a point.

In the race at Spain where Rolf Stommelen crashed his Hill-Ford and broke his leg, and where Lombardi scored her half-point, I'm sure Andretti's Parnell was leading before retiring.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Wallio wrote:Does Stefan count as a reject team? Sending your may or may not exist cars to a race you're not invited to has to count for something right?

In the race at Spain where Rolf Stommelen crashed his Hill-Ford and broke his leg, and where Lombardi scored her half-point, I'm sure Andretti's Parnell was leading before retiring.

It's Parnelli, not Parnell.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?