Your Reject of the Race - Britain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
rachel1990

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Britain

Post by rachel1990 »

Race over decision time

'2nd' Mclaren. They were beaten by both Williams. Bad bad bad

But the winner by a huge margin- A Vettel victory for Pirelli. I would be very surprised if there in the sport next year
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Rather than blame Pirelli who knew there was a problem and wanted to change the tyre construction, how about putting some of the blame on to the teams who wouldn't allow Pirelli to change the tyres?

But I can't think of any other candidates for RotR apart from Grosjean who had yet another shocker of a mess.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Pirelli. Srsly. Funny thing is,they had their two hardest compounds at the race,yet tyres were being popped like balloons.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

James1978 wrote:Rather than blame Pirelli who knew there was a problem and wanted to change the tyre construction, how about putting some of the blame on to the teams who wouldn't allow Pirelli to change the tyres?

But I can't think of any other candidates for RotR apart from Grosjean who had yet another shocker of a mess.

I can agree with this, but in all seriousness, I can't see how Pirelli won't get this.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Pirelli - No doubt they'll still deny it was the tyres that were the problem.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

Pirelli claim they are number one, but aren't. Oh, this isn't Caption This!

You're a legend, Jocke!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

rachel1990 wrote:Race over decision time

'2nd' Mclaren. They were beaten by both Williams. Bad bad bad

But the winner by a huge margin- A Vettel victory for Pirelli. I would be very surprised if there in the sport next year

At a time when the FIA is still yet to put the tender for the post 2014 tyre contract on the market, having that many high profile failures in quick succession is going to do their reputation a lot of damage. Pirelli do claim to already have an agreement with FOM and the teams - although not the FIA - and have already agreed terms for trackside advertising until 2018, but this is going to strengthen the position of some other interested parties in this.

James1978 wrote:Rather than blame Pirelli who knew there was a problem and wanted to change the tyre construction, how about putting some of the blame on to the teams who wouldn't allow Pirelli to change the tyres?

That is certainly an aspect that is worth considering - Lotus and Force India are believed to have blocked Pirelli's earlier attempts to rectify some of these issues, and I can imagine that, after this race, there might be some rather ugly political repercussions from those who have been hurt by those tyre failures. That said, theoretically the regulations do allow for changes to the tyres to be made on grounds of safety - the FIA does have the power to force those changes through without requiring the approval of the teams - but so far Pirelli have been unwilling to invoke that clause.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Davidson gave an interesting insight into the tyres on the Skypad...it's a very intriguing situation.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Gary Anderson has explained about how the sharp kerb at Turn 4, the site of Hamilton's and Massa's failures, can puncture tyres.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Pirelli, I think that's pretty clear.

Honourable mention to the BBC for blindly attacking Grosjean simply because he was involved in another first corner incident, despite not visibly doing anything wrong.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Pirelli, we're very lucky that the tyre failures were not more dangerous.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:Gary Anderson has explained about how the sharp kerb at Turn 4, the site of Hamilton's and Massa's failures, can puncture tyres.

But I don't think it was the kerb that was the problem. Firstly, there were two failures down Hangar, and secondly the onboard camera before Hamilton's failure suggested that the tyre was on its way out before he even got to Turn 4. Maybe it exacerbated the problem, but Hamilton was struggling in turns 1 & 2.

I'll endeavour to wait for Pirelli's side of the story.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

1st: Lotus, Toro Rosso and Force India strategists
2nd: Whoever nominates Pirelli as RotR
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Oh, also, another honourable mention for Lotus' strategists for continuing to be very bad at their jobs. Why the hell did they not pit Raikkonen!?
Everything's great.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Pirelli, I think that's pretty clear.

Honourable mention to the BBC for blindly attacking Grosjean simply because he was involved in another first corner incident, despite not visibly doing anything wrong.

You should stream Sky, at least Brundle et. al. didn't blame Grosjean. Early on during the race they said not Grosjeans fault.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

pablo_h wrote:You should stream Sky

No.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Oh, also, another honourable mention for Lotus' strategists for continuing to be very bad at their jobs. Why the hell did they not pit Raikkonen!?

Yeah, really. According to Shadaza, strategists, in particular Force India's, said that their strategists were chimps. Can't blame him.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

No.

Why?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

pablo_h wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

No.

Why?

Because I have the whole race available on the television and I'm not going to let a bunch of idiots pretending to be pundits get in my way.
Everything's great.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

That's because Pirelli didn't want the FIA to use the "safety" card and insisted that the tyres were safe. So, in the end Pirelli remains the main culprit.

It looks like Paul Hembery decided to do something so rejectful that we could be certain of who would be ROTR before Enoch came back.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

ROTR is Pirelli
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Pirelli wins this one from me, although there are some other serious contenders, in ascending order.
1. Williams - anonymity unlimited.
2. Jenson Button - I know he hates Silverstone, but seriously, what was that??
3. RoGro - drove well for the first half, absolute rubbish in the second.
4. Lotus - helping Raikkonen to sort out his dilemma as to which team he'll be with next year.
5. THE BOOING BRITISH CROWD: Xenophobia reigns supreme as first Vettel is booed after a gearbox failure, and they then mete out the same treatment to Alonso because he deprived their darling of a 'heroic' podium finish (funny how people forgot Massa's charge, because IMO his charge was in no way worse than Hamilton's).
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:3. RoGro - drove well for the first half, absolute rubbish in the second.

Pretty sure he had some sort of problem.
wsrgo wrote:5. THE BOOING BRITISH CROWD: Xenophobia reigns supreme as first Vettel is booed after a gearbox failure, and they then mete out the same treatment to Alonso because he deprived their darling of a 'heroic' podium finish (funny how people forgot Massa's charge, because IMO his charge was in no way worse than Hamilton's).

I didn't hear any booing.
Everything's great.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Because I have the whole race available on the television and I'm not going to let a bunch of idiots pretending to be pundits get in my way.

I thought you were in Australia, my apologies.
If you watch f1 on TV in Australia:
1. You'll get a bunch of local idiots pretending to be pundits before the race and during the breaks.
2. Get the SKY team anyway (I think?) on channel 1/10, but miss out on FP1,2,3.
3. I've only got one TV and my partner hogs it to watch terrible drama and reality show programming.
4. the podiums, interviews etc cut off and not shown sometimes.

So I just stream from some place on the internet from Friday to Sunday on race weekends.
Last edited by pablo_h on 30 Jun 2013, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

wsrgo wrote:and they then mete out the same treatment to Alonso because he deprived their darling of a 'heroic' podium finish

Rampant Lewisteria for you.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

wsrgo wrote:5. THE BOOING BRITISH CROWD: Xenophobia reigns supreme as first Vettel is booed after a gearbox failure, and they then mete out the same treatment to Alonso because he deprived their darling of a 'heroic' podium finish (funny how people forgot Massa's charge, because IMO his charge was in no way worse than Hamilton's).

Brilliant, generalising a whole fanbase there. It's alright for the Italian fans to support Ferrari, but god forbid British fans favour the British drivers...

go_Rubens wrote:
wsrgo wrote:and they then mete out the same treatment to Alonso because he deprived their darling of a 'heroic' podium finish

Rampant Lewisteria for you.

What do you expect, the mainly casual fanbase to favour the non-British drivers? I think everyone's trying to read in between the lines here too much.
Last edited by Ataxia on 30 Jun 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I didn't hear any booing, only cheering when Vettel retired - and if you think that's xenophobic I dread to think what you thought of the reaction of the Tifosi when Hakkinen retired from Germany and Monza 1999.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Bob wrote:

I didn't hear any booing, only cheering when Vettel retired - and if you think that's xenophobic I dread to think what you thought of the reaction of the Tifosi when Hakkinen retired from Germany and Monza 1999.

Or when Patrese crashed at Imola in 1983.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:
Bob wrote:

Or when Patrese crashed at Imola in 1983.

Whilst I did find it distasteful that the crowd were cheering when Vettel went out, I wouldn't necessarily say that was down to xenophobia - the main beneficiary of that was a German driver, Rosberg, driving for a German team (at least in terms of ownership and licence). It is possible that the fact that Webber also gained was another motivating factor, given his popularity with the fans and the fact that some might feel that he got a bit of a raw deal in Malaysia earlier this year.

Ataxia wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Gary Anderson has explained about how the sharp kerb at Turn 4, the site of Hamilton's and Massa's failures, can puncture tyres.

But I don't think it was the kerb that was the problem. Firstly, there were two failures down Hangar, and secondly the onboard camera before Hamilton's failure suggested that the tyre was on its way out before he even got to Turn 4. Maybe it exacerbated the problem, but Hamilton was struggling in turns 1 & 2.

I'll endeavour to wait for Pirelli's side of the story.

Massa's tyre failure also started before he entered that corner too, as it looked like his tyre was beginning to deflate through Turn 3 as well. Added to that, Rosberg was fortunate that the safety car occurred when it did - Mercedes were forced into a late pit stop because Rosberg's left rear tyre was beginning to delaminate (there was a brief shot of the tyre as it was taken off the car, and the rubber on the surface of the tyre was torn and damaged).
There are also a few other drivers who had near misses too - Vettel's left rear was also damaged in the first stint and Alonso has indicated that, although it was not caught on camera, he was also hit by a tyre problem (however, as he was approaching the pit lane and in the window for his first pit stop, he says that it cost him no time on circuit).

Now, I think that we are going to need to have a thorough investigation, but the pattern of failures is certainly quite suspicious. It is true that there are some slight modifications to the circuit this year, with new drains having been installed in a number of places around the track after the problems they had in 2012, and we've occasionally seen loose drain covers cause problems (Montoya in the 2005 Chinese GP, for example, having suspension damage from a loose drain cover, or Perez in 2012 having a chassis written off when a drain cover punched through the front bulkhead). However, I don't think Turn 4 was one of those corners that was modified, so it is still a slight mystery as to what is going on.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

solarcold wrote:1st: Lotus, Toro Rosso and Force India strategists
2nd: Whoever nominates Pirelli as RotR

Seriously? You don't think Pirelli were rejectful? But what is rejectful is that Pirelli have a high-degrading tyre that punctures easily and teams are complaining about it. So when Pirelli asks for help testing a tyre, they and the team that helps get hauled up in front of the International Tribunal and are found guilty because of a testing ban. And a few teams are vetoing changes to the tyres... What the heck! The teams are to blame for asking for tyres like this initially, Pirelli are to blame for acquiescence, the FIA are to blame for not allowing them to test, the whole of F1 is to blame for getting into this mess and being unable to sort it out. Just like USA 2005...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I guess the tyre failures were down to the construction of the F1 tyres, because during the GP2 and GP3 races, no tyre failures occured. So Pirelli is ROTR for me. Also, Gutierrez had another tyre failure, so we had 5, not 4 during the race.
Last edited by pi314159 on 30 Jun 2013, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'm going to be lazy and nominate Pirelli
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

solarcold wrote:2nd: Whoever nominates Pirelli as RotR

... how!?!?!?
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Ataxia wrote:

Brilliant, generalising a whole fanbase there. It's alright for the Italian fans to support Ferrari, but god forbid British fans favour the British drivers...

Hem..hem..you call booing others at their times of crises as favouring the ones you support?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Pirelli is my ROTR, without question.
Not USA 2005, but close.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Pirelli, hands down. It put the poor strategy calls by certain teams (e.g. Lotus) into shade.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

4 blows in race? Oh no. Someone would go fatal since long time. Just go back to 2012 spec. Darn you FIA for not allowing that
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

AxelP800 wrote:4 blows in race? Oh no. Someone would go fatal since long time. Just go back to 2012 spec. Darn you FIA for not allowing that

In fact, there were 5. Gutierrez had one which wasn't shown on TV. And several others had very damaged tyres when they came into the pits.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

A number of people have been making a fundamental mistake in this thread. They have been saying that four tyres failed during the race.In fact there were five, the fifth being Gutierrez's front left, which also damaged his front wing.

Pirelli for reject, although a mention for Lotus team-orders, and how unoriginal they were in issuing them.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!