Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Re: Ponderbox

Post by good_Ralf »

Just wondering, does anyone know the fuel load penalty (the time loss from a lap of fuel) for these circuits:

Imola
Indianapolis
Magny-Cours
Silverstone (pre-2010)
Spielberg (1997-2003)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I don't know where I should put this but what the bathplug just I found out? :shock:

42 wheels, multiple engines, and it's officially designed by BMW itself! Looks more ambitious than...

PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

FMecha wrote:I don't know where I should put this but what the bathplug just I found out? :shock:

42 wheels, multiple engines, and it's officially designed by BMW itself! Looks more ambitious than...

What in the Green Hell is that?

Also,that Lion F1 projects knocked my shoes off laughing at the amount of wheels on that car. Especially with the wheels containing an entire Sponsor's name.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Just wondering, does anyone know the fuel load penalty (the time loss from a lap of fuel) for these circuits:

Imola
Indianapolis
Magny-Cours
Silverstone (pre-2010)
Spielberg (1997-2003)

For pre-2010 spec Silverstone, the indication is that the fuel penalty would be in the order of about 0.35-0.4s per 10kg of fuel (according to this article http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... tech-data/ from Renault). I believe, but cannot be sure, that the fuel penalty at Magny Cours was also in the order of about 0.35s per 10kg.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

WaffleCat wrote:
FMecha wrote:I don't know where I should put this but what the bathplug just I found out? :shock:

What in the Green Hell is that?

Also,that Lion F1 projects knocked my shoes off laughing at the amount of wheels on that car. Especially with the wheels containing an entire Sponsor's name.

It was part of a Jalopnik reader competition that BMW decided to partake in.

http://jalopnik.com/5980101/help-a-four ... -dream-car

http://jalopnik.com/5982018/bmw-designs ... r+year-old
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I was just pondering whether or not Id have been a bit more interested in Mercedes-Secret-Test-Session-Although-How-You-Conduct-A-Secret-Test-Session-When-F1-Cars-Tend-To-Make-A-Real-Racket-I-Do-Not-Know-Gate if I actually thought Mercedes were in with a chance of winning the championship. Which I dont.

Sod it. Im going to listen to some Kraftwerk to see if I can gain an insight into the German psyche.
Just For One Day...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Looks an awesome car but whatever you do don't let Grosjean, Maldonado, Cecotto, Neate, or Duno near it
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

This is a forum related ponder, rather than an F1 ponder: Is it just me, or has Dr Baker been posting about females more often over the past couple of weeks than he normally does?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:This is a forum related ponder, rather than an F1 ponder: Is it just me, or has Dr Baker been posting about females more often over the past couple of weeks than he normally does?

My bestofbrummie persona when imitating The F1 Slate has become contagious. Either that or he's pulled.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

FullMetalJack wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:This is a forum related ponder, rather than an F1 ponder: Is it just me, or has Dr Baker been posting about females more often over the past couple of weeks than he normally does?

My bestofbrummie persona when imitating The F1 Slate has become contagious. Either that or he's pulled.

I reckon its the latter. Baker, you sly dog you! ;)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

I reckon its the latter. Baker, you sly dog you! ;)

I wish... Just reverting to my former stereotype and trying to induce Baker's Law. Success!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Just discovered that if you go into incognito mode with Chrome you can read Autosport.com for ever. Restart the browser and you are back to 20 articles. :twisted:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If Lotus is referred to as Team Enstone because of the number of changes of ownership (Toleman -> Benetton -> Renault -> Lotus), why isn't Mercedes being referred to as Team Brackley (Tyrrell -> BAR -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mecedes) and Force India as Team Silverstone (Jordan -> Midland -> Spyker -> Force India)? They have both had at least as many ownership changes over a shorter time span.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I don't know if I'm alone here, but now there's a space at RedBull for 2014 am I right in thinking ToroRosso might as well close down shop if neither of their drivers gets Webber's seat? I mean, thats the sole reason ToroRosso exist isn't it? To find the next RedBull driver?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

dr-baker wrote:If Lotus is referred to as Team Enstone because of the number of changes of ownership (Toleman -> Benetton -> Renault -> Lotus), why isn't Mercedes being referred to as Team Brackley (Tyrrell -> BAR -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mecedes) and Force India as Team Silverstone (Jordan -> Midland -> Spyker -> Force India)? They have both had at least as many ownership changes over a shorter time span.

Unless I'm mistaken, because Mercedes and Force India are the owners of their teams, whereas Lotus is just a 'branding partner' (as I believe they wanted to be known) - the team should really be called Genii Capital, shouldn't it?

Also, I think the Lotus name is due to be dropped again at the end of the year, isn't it?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:Also, I think the Lotus name is due to be dropped again at the end of the year, isn't it?

Dropped for what, I wonder? I haven't heard that rumour before.
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

dr-baker wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:Also, I think the Lotus name is due to be dropped again at the end of the year, isn't it?

Dropped for what, I wonder? I haven't heard that rumour before.

Just looked into it a bit more and found this - it appears I was wrong :
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/04/06/lotus-2017-losing-title-sponsorship/

I think it was because of the whole Dany Bahar incident and Lotus/Proton not paying that there was talk that the name would be dropped but that doesn't seem to be the case - although the article is a year old and Genii have sold shares to another investor since then, so who knows?
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Please don't let Lotus change their name. How many name changes will Team Enstone have gone through?

Also, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23104904
Finally they have a more logical system to penalise drivers.
takagi_for_the_win

Since when have McLaren run with a spoon section in the front wing? I only noticed it today
TORA! TORA! TORA!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Is it ever OK to boo? I know it'll always be there but I dont think its OK. I thought the Canadians booing Vettel was very poor. However, I had no problem with the Brits cheering Vettels car failure. I think its a context thing. I was equally disgusted when some Brits cheered MSCs crash in 1999 but I grinned grudgingly when the Germans cheered and whooped at Hill crashing at Hockenheim in 1996.

I wouldnt have boo'd at Indianapolis because safety was the issue and anyway, Id have been booing the wrong guys, but I may well have vented somewhat at Austria 2002.

Anybody else?
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Can anyone find a link to the quote where Kimi Raikkonen was asked before his 2012 comeback how difficult it would be to learn DRS and KERS, and Kimi simply stated "It's just two more buttons."
-*:-
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

CoopsII wrote:Is it ever OK to boo? I know it'll always be there but I dont think its OK. I thought the Canadians booing Vettel was very poor. However, I had no problem with the Brits cheering Vettels car failure. I think its a context thing. I was equally disgusted when some Brits cheered MSCs crash in 1999 but I grinned grudgingly when the Germans cheered and whooped at Hill crashing at Hockenheim in 1996.

I wouldnt have boo'd at Indianapolis because safety was the issue and anyway, Id have been booing the wrong guys, but I may well have vented somewhat at Austria 2002.

Anybody else?

I agree with your sentiment. It's fine to cheer if a driver you don't like is taken out of the race due to a mechanical failure, like what Vettel suffered in Britain. However, cheering following an accident is in terrible taste. Motorsport is inherently dangerous, and we should never treat racing accidents positively, especially just because we dislike the driver involved. Also, booing the victor is very childish on behalf of the fans. Just because your favorite driver didn't win or make the podium doesn't mean you can attack other drivers for doing their job as well as they could.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Just thinking about some qualifying sessions which were incredibly close. The Holy Grail of recent times was of course Belgium 2009 where the top 9 were covered by less than half a second. Can anyone think of some others?

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Since when have McLaren run with a spoon section in the front wing? I only noticed it today

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean by the "spoon section" on the front wing - could you give a slightly better description of the part or perhaps highlight the part on a picture? If it is what I think it is, which is the "r" shaped extension on the end of the upper cascade element, then I believe that was introduced at the Spanish GP.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

European GP, 1997
Pos - Driver - Time Gap

1. - Jacques Villeneuve - 1:21.072
2. - Michael Schumacher - 1:21.072 +0.000
3. - Heinz-Harald Frentzen - 1:21.072 +0.000
4. - Damon Hill - 1:21.130 +0.058
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:European GP, 1997
Pos - Driver - Time Gap

The thought of Hill taking pole is a perfect scenario for the What if? thread.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jocke1 wrote:European GP, 1997
Pos - Driver - Time Gap

I remember seeing the Youtube video for this. Great lap from Hill considering the car he had.
takagi_for_the_win

mario wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Since when have McLaren run with a spoon section in the front wing? I only noticed it today

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean by the "spoon section" on the front wing - could you give a slightly better description of the part or perhaps highlight the part on a picture? If it is what I think it is, which is the "r" shaped extension on the end of the upper cascade element, then I believe that was introduced at the Spanish GP.

When I said spoon section, I meant the curved part of the lower edge of the front wing, as introduced in 2001. However, having looked at high resolution images of the Macca, it would appear it was an optical illusion caused by the thickness of the edges of the front wing being greater than the thickness at the centre.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote:
lgaquino wrote:This video offers, I think, the closest perspective I've seen so far.
a helmet cam, with Kubica driving [much better positioned than the one used by vettel last year]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLjvkh4hQE

Still not sure if it's level with the driver's eye, but it's certainly closer than others. I believe the driver would in fact be able to see the yellow perpendicular lines on the grid slot :)

HD First Time Ever REAL Eye-Level Camera FORMULA 1 | Lucas di Grassi
http://youtu.be/7-oG5dOlp7M

this_is_what_a_f1_driver_really_sees_while_racing
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uplo ... racing.jpg
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Does Thruxton have straights?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Does Thruxton have straights?

No not really
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Anyone remember Fiona Leggate in the BTCC? She seemed to drop off the racing radar at the end of 2007 and hasn't been heard of since. Roughly around the same time, a certain driver by the name of Susie Stoddart was racing in the DTM. So I'm thinking, is Susie Stoddart/Wolff not all that she seems? Has anyone seen Fiona and Susie in the same place in public? Maybe Fiona changed her name after her pitiful BTCC performances between 2005-2007 (a few 10th places in the most dominant BTCC car in history, the Vauxhall Astra Coupe...), started racing in the DTM, and was just as bad there... ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

East Londoner wrote:Anyone remember Fiona Leggate in the BTCC? She seemed to drop off the racing radar at the end of 2007 and hasn't been heard of since. Roughly around the same time, a certain driver by the name of Susie Stoddart was racing in the DTM. So I'm thinking, is Susie Stoddart/Wolff not all that she seems? Has anyone seen Fiona and Susie in the same place in public? Maybe Fiona changed her name after her pitiful BTCC performances between 2005-2007 (a few 10th places in the most dominant BTCC car in history, the Vauxhall Astra Coupe...), started racing in the DTM, and was just as bad there... ;)

There is a possibilty they are one and the same. Fiona and Susie.

However, Fiona continued racing after 2007.

If Susie/Fiona is indeed one entity, it is apparently able to be at two places at the same time. :shock:

On May 23rd, 2010:

Fiona Leggate participated in round 5 & 6 of the British Trofeo Abarth 500 Series at Cadwell Park.
Finishing 8th and 7th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Trofe ... _GB_season

Same day, May 23rd, 2010:

Susie Stoddart-Wolff-Fox-Bear-Whatever participated in round 2 of the DTM Series at Circuit Ricardo Tormo, Valencia.
Finishing 10th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Deuts ... ers_season

Some serious voodoo shi* going on here.... :?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Anyone remember Fiona Leggate in the BTCC? She seemed to drop off the racing radar at the end of 2007 and hasn't been heard of since. Roughly around the same time, a certain driver by the name of Susie Stoddart was racing in the DTM. So I'm thinking, is Susie Stoddart/Wolff not all that she seems? Has anyone seen Fiona and Susie in the same place in public? Maybe Fiona changed her name after her pitiful BTCC performances between 2005-2007 (a few 10th places in the most dominant BTCC car in history, the Vauxhall Astra Coupe...), started racing in the DTM, and was just as bad there... ;)

I remember Fiona Leggate (what a surprise, eh? :lol: ). I believe she went off to have a baby.

And I know who I prefer between Susie and Fiona...

ImageImage

This is not a great photo to promote women's driving skills...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:And I know who I prefer between Susie and Fiona...

If you prefer Susie then tread carefully. She was a bit pork-meister, a bit of a lardathon, a bit of a chubby chubson when she was younger and when she grows older that may well come back. Unless you're planning on ditching her well before that in which case, PLAYA!
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And I know who I prefer between Susie and Fiona...

If you prefer Susie then tread carefully. She was a bit pork-meister, a bit of a lardathon, a bit of a chubby chubson when she was younger and when she grows older that may well come back. Unless you're planning on ditching her well before that in which case, PLAYA!

I'm not letting on. But if Fiona thinks that is a good place to park her car, considering the traffic approaching in the background, then it does not fill me with confidence...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:But if Fiona thinks that is a good place to park her car, considering the traffic approaching in the background, then it does not fill me with confidence...

I think its called Extreme Dogging. Find a girl, find a car, find a field, then go at it as if your life depends on it because it actually does :lol:
Just For One Day...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

She married Danny Watts and had a kid. I saw her in 2009 at the Portimao round of the European Le Mans Series when I was with Strakka and she was there, supporting Danny Watts. I don't remember if they already had the kid then.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But if Fiona thinks that is a good place to park her car, considering the traffic approaching in the background, then it does not fill me with confidence...

I think its called Extreme Dogging. Find a girl, find a car, find a field, then go at it as if your life depends on it because it actually does :lol:

Ah, Baker's Law taken to it's logical extreme :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Ah, Baker's Law taken to it's logical extreme :lol:

Indeed. Hats off to you Coops.