2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Svenko Wankerov

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Salamander wrote:Kimi Raikkonen will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever driver for Red Bull. Red Bull's sole purpose is to sell their drink. That kind of PR crap is why Kimi left in the first place; why would he go back to that!?

Right.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Salamander wrote:Kimi Raikkonen will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever driver for Red Bull. Red Bull's sole purpose is to sell their drink. That kind of PR crap is why Kimi left in the first place; why would he go back to that!?

Right.

Remind me, how much media coverage does the WRC get? In comparison to F1?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Svenko Wankerov

Salamander wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:

Right.

Remind me, how much media coverage does the WRC get? In comparison to F1?

Enough for Red Bull to be selling their drink in.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Salamander wrote:Remind me, how much media coverage does the WRC get? In comparison to F1?

Enough for it to be cost-effective, yeah. That doesn't mean it's comparable to what he'd have to do driving for them in F1.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

My personal perspective of Kimi's situation is that, along with other people here, he isn't into doing events for more PR. Kimi doesn't want that. If he doesn't want it, then RBR is out of the question.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Svenko Wankerov

Raikkonen is not Jacques Villeneuve.

For starters, he is a much better musician.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Raikkonen is not Jacques Villeneuve.

For starters, he is a much better musician.

Accepterais Tu
-*:-
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Salamander wrote:Remind me, how much media coverage does the WRC get? In comparison to F1?

Enough for it to be cost-effective, yeah. That doesn't mean it's comparable to what he'd have to do driving for them in F1.

It's also worth noting that Kimi only drove for the Citroen Junior Team for barely a year, at which point he went to the expense of founding his own team and appears to have cut his ties with Red Bull at that point given they are not listed as a team sponsor (not to mention the fact that there is a difference between being a title sponsor, as was the case in the WRC, and owning the team outright when it comes to dictating what the drivers do in terms of PR work).

go_Rubens wrote:My personal perspective of Kimi's situation is that, along with other people here, he isn't into doing events for more PR. Kimi doesn't want that. If he doesn't want it, then RBR is out of the question.

I suppose the question is whether Kimi's known dislike of PR work and overly political teams (since, as a major team and given Vettel's closeness to Bernie, Red Bull are inevitably involved in the political wrangling within the sport to a greater degree than some teams) would override his desire for a more competitive car, plus the advantages that would come with a more financially stable team and less disruption amongst the design team. Whilst I can see a scenario where Kimi could be offered a deal with them, I still have my doubts over whether such a pairing would work effectively.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I have to admit that this silly season has been the most riveting since 2010.

The Russian rumors swirling around Sauber have now sparked the inevitable rumors that Vitaly Petrov might be coming back and that Nico Hulkenberg is eyeing a move to Lotus. If that were to happen then who would go? Grosjean would probably hope that the Kimi to Red Bull rumors come true otherwise he would be the one getting turfed out. As for Petrov he didn't really get the money in for Renault and Caterham with many rumors last season stating that his money was drying up which is why he got kicked out of the sport.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

That could be a great thread, listing all the things that Raikkonnen isnt.

Here goes.

Raikkonnen is not available for childrens birthday parties.

Anyway, I now think Raikkonnen will sign for Red Bull and I think he may have decided to when he was stuck behind one yesterday.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:

That could be a great thread, listing all the things that Raikkonnen isnt.

Here goes.

Raikkonnen is not available for childrens birthday parties.

Raikkonen currently has no plans for a post-F1 career as a motivational speaker.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

There's rumours going around on Twitter that suggest Hulkenberg has quit Sauber. No reliable sources so far, so I assume it's just threads getting crossed. But I think Hulkenberg will be someone to look out for in the silly season, because he's almost certainly not gonna stick around at Sauber, with the team in the state that it sadly is. Maybe Hulk will end up at Lotus, if Kimi moves to Red Bull, or Grosjean gets the chop. Or replace Massa at Maranello.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:There's rumours going around on Twitter that suggest Hulkenberg has quit Sauber. No reliable sources so far, so I assume it's just threads getting crossed. But I think Hulkenberg will be someone to look out for in the silly season, because he's almost certainly not gonna stick around at Sauber, with the team in the state that it sadly is. Maybe Hulk will end up at Lotus, if Kimi moves to Red Bull, or Grosjean gets the chop. Or replace Massa at Maranello.

I read this somewhere besides Twitter, and they believe it is 100% true. I'm going to say it is true.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:There's rumours going around on Twitter that suggest Hulkenberg has quit Sauber. No reliable sources so far, so I assume it's just threads getting crossed. But I think Hulkenberg will be someone to look out for in the silly season, because he's almost certainly not gonna stick around at Sauber, with the team in the state that it sadly is. Maybe Hulk will end up at Lotus, if Kimi moves to Red Bull, or Grosjean gets the chop. Or replace Massa at Maranello.

I searched Google and Twitter to look into this more. Google results have suggested he's leaving at the end of the season whereas Twitter suggests that he's already left. I hope Ferrari snap him up for 2014 either way.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

He allegedly hasn't been paid as Sauber are out of cash. Good thing the cars showed a bit of pace at the right time, as it may save the team.

Hulkenberg's career demands that he move up, so if there's a seat in Lotus or Ferrari, he should do his best to nab it. I doubt Ferrari will want him long term, but i don't know who else they would put in Massa's seat. JEV or Ricciardo are obviously also poised to move as there is a high chance of STR starting next year with 2 new drivers. Bianchi is also in this mix but is far less proven. He may get to replace Hulk if he's lucky. Di Resta is also a man that thinks it's high time to move. But where really?

If Lotus improve mightily Kimi may not want to leave, although i personally belive he is betting on RB > Lotus and will get Webber's seat if he wants it. That leaves his seat open to Hulkenberg, JEV or Ricciardo (as consolation prize). I think both FI boys should stay and pray their 2014 car is still good because there's not many seats open with top teams. Really it's only Lotus and Ferrari that will have an opening. Mercedes and McLaren stink anyway and are closed doors atm.

Grosjean's future in F1 is still in doubt. This man is racing for his career as much as the toro rosso boys. Total will want a frenchman in the team, but JEV may be seen as a better pair of hands. If Lotus or Ferrari don't pick him up, it's aurevoir for him (Grosjean).

Let's make some predictions:

Red Bull: Vettel, Raikkonnen
Lotus: JEV, Button
Ferrari: Alonso, Grosjean (Ricciardo, Di Resta)
McLaren: Perez, Ricciardo (Di Resta)
STR: RBYDP newcomers
Sauber: Gutierrez, Bianchi
Force India: absolutely no clue.
Sutil is also in this mix somewhere. No clue where though. It depends how good FI's 2014 car will be.

Look neat huh? lol
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
mario

Post by mario »

FullMetalJack wrote:

I searched Google and Twitter to look into this more. Google results have suggested he's leaving at the end of the season whereas Twitter suggests that he's already left. I hope Ferrari snap him up for 2014 either way.

The indication from the other thread on Sauber's financial situation is that Hulkenberg has cancelled his contract for 2014, which would suggest that he is looking to move out of the team (though there is no indication about who, if anyone, he is talking to right now).

Where he can go, though, is a little unclear - Lotus is a possibility given that Kimi may possibly want to move on from the team and Grosjean's position is a little uncertain (Boullier has indicated that, whilst he still has his support, that is conditional on Grosjean improving his form), but, given the team racked up more than £50 million in losses last year, are they likely to be any more financially stable than Sauber? Ferrari have a position open as that Massa is out of contract at the end of this year and Hulkenberg is probably experienced enough - however, we know that Ferrari are wary of possible inter team conflict (Domenicali has commented that he doesn't want "two roosters in the hen house", as he put it), so a possible move to Ferrari would depend on whether he could maintain a good working relationship with Alonso.

Those really seem to be Hulkenberg's best options right now - McLaren and Mercedes are locked out and Red Bull, officially at least, are not interested in him (at the moment, they have said that they are only talking to the two Toro Rosso drivers and Kimi). Any other move within the midfield is, in practical terms, a lateral move at best.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Maybe Hulk will end up at Lotus, if Kimi moves to Red Bull, or Grosjean gets the chop.

Of all the options Ive read lately that seems most logical to me (but I think Bianchi may well replace Massa not the Hulk).
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

If Hülkenberg goes to Ferrari, which I also doubt a little, he should be patient. Alonso is turning 32 a day after the Hungarian Grand Prix, and he already stated he wants to finish his F1 career at the Scuderia. If Hülk can work together with him, he could learn some from the Spaniard, and when he decides to retire, he could be number one in the team. Of course, this might not happen at all, if Bianchi gets picked up too - and if Jules actually matches, or even tops Nico's abilities, a rivalry is bound to happen - maybe something similar with Pironi and Villeneuve, but hopefully without any accident?

Lotus is uncertain too financially - despite Genii's ownership, it is unlikely the Enstone team reverts back to a factory team. Renault isn't keen on returning, Ghosn wouldn't allow it right now, even if Lotus would be the best team at the moment. As engine - or energy unit, sigh - suppliers, they are doing very well, and supporting Red Bull (and Toro Rosso from next season), Williams, Lotus and Caterham (one of which will lose its contract, Williams or Caterham likely), they pretty much have everything running okay.

The driver market is going to be decided on one person's movement, somewhat similar to Alonso's post-2007 decision - and it is Räikkönen. If he goes to Red Bull, we might see at least one Toro Rosso driver fired again, for „being unable to match our expectations” as Mateschitz would say probably. Webber goes out, Kimi takes his place, and then Hülk could fill that seat, as recent rumours say. And then, there's also Grosjean, who recently seems to either go top 5, or nowhere in the race - Bouiller needs the WCC points, and for that matter, GRRSSJJNN has to score more often. They could shoot for 3rd in the WCC, hell, if Mercedes gets unlucky with hot tracks (and I can almost guarantee you that Hungary will be a sauna next race...), they might drop the ball, but not as much as last season.

Hülkenberg has no good options for the long run. Ferrari has Bianchi backed, burning/failing/rogue car aside. If Sauber gets financial injection from whatever group it will be, they might not only give a discount on the energy units to their old customer team, they could be able to even pay for Bianchi's seat, to improve his skills before he joins Ferrari. And the Telmex money is on the way out, as Slim doesn't really pay that much with Gutierrez on board - the Mexican money is basically on McLaren's side, with an almost certain title sponsorship (and hopefully a new livery?) from 2014. If Gutierrez Squared doesn't get his act together (while Hülkenberg has scored all the points for the team), he's most likely to be dropped. The Massa-Bianchi lineup could be a good pairing if the team will be saved - Felipe can be helpful for Jules, I think. This pairing is unlikely to happen, if Russian money is involved, because they will probably force Sauber to give Petrov (Aleshin?) one seat.

And on the Toro Rosso field, we might see the debut of either Sainz Jr., or da Costa, given the recent driver management of STR, but let's just hope not both drivers will get the chop, otherwise they will have start over AGAIN.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:...Ghosn wouldn't allow it right now, even if Lotus would be the best team at the moment. As engine - or energy unit, sigh - suppliers, they are doing very well, and supporting Red Bull (and Toro Rosso from next season), Williams, Lotus and Caterham (one of which will lose its contract, Williams or Caterham likely), they pretty much have everything running okay...

Williams confirmed they were running Mercedes engines next year a while back.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I totally forgot about that :oops: Seems like Williams is pretty much the anonymous team of this year for me.
Mercedes will do fine then. They will support four teams temporarily, as McLaren is going to quit after 2014 to use Honda units, but hopefully it won't hurt them to support one extra team for a season.

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:I totally forgot about that :oops: Seems like Williams is pretty much the anonymous team of this year for me.
Mercedes will do fine then. They will support four teams temporarily, as McLaren is going to quit after 2014 to use Honda units, but hopefully it won't hurt them to support one extra team for a season.

At the moment, Mercedes's main worries for 2014 is not about being overstretched - it looks like they have the resources at Mercedes HPE to cope - but, more onerously, preventing details of the design of their engine being passed from McLaren to Honda (whilst all parties should act in a professional manner, it is inevitable that, intentionally or unintentionally, the Mercedes engine is effectively going to become a benchmark against which Honda can compare its own engine).
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'm cautious about the "Räikkönen to Red Bull" rumours because I don't really know if a character like Kimi would want to cope with a team geared around Sebastian Vettel, especially after seeing some of the intra-team conflicts in the past 3-and-a-half seasons. If Lotus looks financially stable and can keep up at the front this year, Iceman will have an easy time settling the dilemma.

Plus, it would be a shame for both Toro Rosso drivers, who are strutting their stuff this season pretty well. What's the point of running a "B" team if you're not going to take advantage of the formation the drivers receive?
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I think the biggest worry is that a heated rivalry could have destructive consequences for the team. The weakness of RB is not being able to cope with intra-team battles and with two talented drivers ready and willing to give no quarter to the other, the team may end up quite an unhappy place. Clean racing between the two is what much of the world would like to see, but what happens when it gets dirty?

Kimi will not care for PR, he will negotiate much of it away anyway. RB will be keen on having him bring points to their team and as long as he is comfortable he will want to be there. We know the car is good. It's what happens when Vettel reacts to Kimi squashing him like a bug or vice versa that will cause the team worries. Will there be serious heat there next year? For us it will be amazing to watch wheter its bloody or peacefull.

And why would it not be peacefull? Seriously why not? They both get along well. Neither is burdened with egomania. Neither cares much for losses and only wants to get back to winning. They are both motivated and happy to push extra hard, and neither has anything left to prove, just a desire to be faster than the other guys.

There is only one WDC though. But i suspect that if it comes down to a two horse race (or bull in this case) whoever wins it will have a fight of his life for it.

I hope it turns out as good as it sounds.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Phoenix wrote:Plus, it would be a shame for both Toro Rosso drivers, who are strutting their stuff this season pretty well. What's the point of running a "B" team if you're not going to take advantage of the formation the drivers receive?

Its a good point that comes up quite often. If Red Bull felt like answering they'd probably argue that they have promoted from the B team before but since then no driver has deserved promotion like Vettel did.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I reckon Kamui Kobayashi will replace Massa at Ferrari
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:I reckon Kamui Kobayashi will replace Massa at Ferrari

There are no words for how great that would be. It would make watching Vettel stroll to his fifth title incredibly bearable.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

There are no words for how great that would be. It would make watching Vettel stroll to his fifth title incredibly bearable.

The BBC have suggested that Kobayashi might be looking into returning to F1, but it looks like he has been mentioned in connection with Lotus rather than Ferrari. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23238016

That article mentions that there have been a few problems off the track as well as on it for Kimi, as Boullier has confirmed that the team were quite late in paying Kimi's salary for this year (with the suggest it had, until recently, not been paid since January). That said, Lotus reckon that they might be able to persuade Kimi to stay on if they are able to demonstrate to him that they have the means to continue closing the gap between themselves and Red Bull in 2014, so it looks like Kimi might be tempted to stay on there.
By contrast, the BBC seems to reckon that Grosjean is also rather vulnerable, even if his sponsorship from Total is reckoned to be worth about £5 million a year to the team. They suggest that Hulkenberg's name has been mentioned in connection with Lotus, and there are a few suggestions that Kobayashi might be trying his luck with the team too (with a wilder suggestion being Maldonado, courtesy of his £30 million a year in PDVSA sponsorship, although Williams seem to think that they have his services bought and paid for, as it were).

Equally, their take on Massa's chances of keeping his seat are interesting - whilst he's had a difficult run of form, it looks like he is still the preferred choice of di Montezemolo (they suggest that Sauber reports on Hulkenberg haven't been all that favourable, whilst Bianchi, despite his performances for Marussia, may run into the same issue of a lack of experience that Ferrari cited when rejecting Perez). Perhaps Massa may look to what Webber has done for the past few years and sign annual contracts rather than long term deals? At the very least, it suggests that we might see Massa retain his seat for 2014 despite the fact that his position has been speculated about for quite a few years now.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I have heard that Kamui has managed to get a decent sponsorship package in place, which could be attractive to teams.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Plus, it would be a shame for both Toro Rosso drivers, who are strutting their stuff this season pretty well. What's the point of running a "B" team if you're not going to take advantage of the formation the drivers receive?

Its a good point that comes up quite often. If Red Bull felt like answering they'd probably argue that they have promoted from the B team before but since then no driver has deserved promotion like Vettel did.

Yeah, but then that begs the question of what the hell is the point of their driver academy if it's only produced one driver worthy of being at their main team in all the time that it has existed?

EDIT: Also, Baker, I have some bad news for you...
Last edited by Salamander on 10 Jul 2013, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Everything's great.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

The BBC have suggested that Kobayashi might be looking into returning to F1, but it looks like he has been mentioned in connection with Lotus rather than Ferrari. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23238016

That article mentions that there have been a few problems off the track as well as on it for Kimi, as Boullier has confirmed that the team were quite late in paying Kimi's salary for this year (with the suggest it had, until recently, not been paid since January). That said, Lotus reckon that they might be able to persuade Kimi to stay on if they are able to demonstrate to him that they have the means to continue closing the gap between themselves and Red Bull in 2014, so it looks like Kimi might be tempted to stay on there.
By contrast, the BBC seems to reckon that Grosjean is also rather vulnerable, even if his sponsorship from Total is reckoned to be worth about £5 million a year to the team. They suggest that Hulkenberg's name has been mentioned in connection with Lotus, and there are a few suggestions that Kobayashi might be trying his luck with the team too (with a wilder suggestion being Maldonado, courtesy of his £30 million a year in PDVSA sponsorship, although Williams seem to think that they have his services bought and paid for, as it were).

Equally, their take on Massa's chances of keeping his seat are interesting - whilst he's had a difficult run of form, it looks like he is still the preferred choice of di Montezemolo (they suggest that Sauber reports on Hulkenberg haven't been all that favourable, whilst Bianchi, despite his performances for Marussia, may run into the same issue of a lack of experience that Ferrari cited when rejecting Perez). Perhaps Massa may look to what Webber has done for the past few years and sign annual contracts rather than long term deals? At the very least, it suggests that we might see Massa retain his seat for 2014 despite the fact that his position has been speculated about for quite a few years now.

Having read the BBC acticle above it seems like only slightly more informed guesswork than the rest of us are making, though does state that Vergne will not be considered for Red Bull - hence proving that Enoch's curse is still working.

From the options they list, I would like to see Kimi stay at Lotus, partnered by Kobayashi, with Hulkenburg going to Ferrari, but I'm not saying that's what's going to happen ...
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Lotus will have a frenchman in the car courtesy of Total. Could be Grosjean or Verge. In the other seat they will probably want a race winner since the last thing they need is to have a good car with no driver to take advantage of it. I know Button is supposedly contracted for next year, but he's unhappy at McLaren and the last thing he needs is to spend the waning races of his career in a car that can't win. The McLaren team looks set to go through a few "transitional" years which is code for a car that needs sorting out. I don't expect them challenging for the WCC until 2015 at the earliest.

What other driver of that caliber will be available to Lotus? Their finances are just about holding but they need results to keep up at the front. If they slide down then all the money wont help them. No offense to Kobayashi, Ricciardo, Hulk or Di Resta, but they aren't at that level, though some of them may someday be. And i will get flack for dissing Kobayashi :D Massa is retireing unless Ferrari feel good scoring 4th in the WCC, and Maldonado has money yes, but Bottas is matching him, and he is unlikely to get more than one win if that.

Button would at least do no worse than Kimi, which is quite a lot. Grosjean seems to be mighty quick when he isn't binning it, and Boulier stated that he has a plan B in case Kimi jumps ship. Could it be Grosjean/Vergne - Button or am i imagining things?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Button would at least do no worse than Kimi, which is quite a lot. Grosjean seems to be mighty quick when he isn't binning it, and Boulier stated that he has a plan B in case Kimi jumps ship. Could it be Grosjean/Vergne - Button or am i imagining things?

I would like to see Valsecchi/D'Ambrosio there although that could make fortunes worse for the team, but in particular, another experienced driver needs to replace Raikkonen at Lotus if that happens. Button would be a good choice, but I think he is likely to stay at McLaren. Massa to Lotus, then?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

good_Ralf wrote:
Sublime_FA11C wrote:Button would at least do no worse than Kimi, which is quite a lot. Grosjean seems to be mighty quick when he isn't binning it, and Boulier stated that he has a plan B in case Kimi jumps ship. Could it be Grosjean/Vergne - Button or am i imagining things?

I would like to see Valsecchi/D'Ambrosio there although that could make fortunes worse for the team, but in particular, another experienced driver needs to replace Raikkonen at Lotus if that happens. Button would be a good choice, but I think he is likely to stay at McLaren. Massa to Lotus, then?

Not if they want to win anything.
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ah, if there was ever was someone with a drive he didn't deserve, Massa would be it. I mean, since the beginning of 2011, he has scored a grand total of three podiums and no victories, which is downright embarrassing for a Ferrari driver. I mean, when PASTOR MALDONADO of all people have more wins in that period than you, something is clearly wrong.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wizzie wrote:Ah, if there was ever was someone with a drive he didn't deserve, Massa would be it. I mean, since the beginning of 2011, he has scored a grand total of three podiums and no victories, which is downright embarrassing for a Ferrari driver. I mean, when PASTOR MALDONADO of all people have more wins in that period than you, something is clearly wrong.

+1

Massa should have been sacked in 2011 just like everyone else thought he would. He must bring in tons of sponsorship, I can't see any other reason how he kept his seat for the last two years.

Sergio Perez should be a good fit, if he decides to bail out of the McLaren rebuilding project. Vettel should work as well, if he is willing to not have a solid #1 status. Nico Hulkenberg would be a bit of a gamble, considering he's in the process of having only one good year in the four years he's been in F1.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Some stats. Massa's not performing ~that much~ worse vs Alonso than Webber is vs Vettel :

Since 2011

Wins  Podiums  Points  % of team points

Vettel     20   35      830      61.03%
Webber     3    17      530      38.97%

Alonso     6    28      658      68.9%
Massa      0    3       297      31.1%

But I do agree that, especially now Webber is leaving, it's time for Ferrari to say goodbye to Massa. I can't see anyone else wanting him, he would probably want a decent salary and I'm not sure what sponsors he brings, if any.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Ah, if there was ever was someone with a drive he didn't deserve, Massa would be it. I mean, since the beginning of 2011, he has scored a grand total of three podiums and no victories, which is downright embarrassing for a Ferrari driver. I mean, when PASTOR MALDONADO of all people have more wins in that period than you, something is clearly wrong.

+1

Massa should have been sacked in 2011 just like everyone else thought he would. He must bring in tons of sponsorship, I can't see any other reason how he kept his seat for the last two years.

Sergio Perez should be a good fit, if he decides to bail out of the McLaren rebuilding project. Vettel should work as well, if he is willing to not have a solid #1 status. Nico Hulkenberg would be a bit of a gamble, considering he's in the process of having only one good year in the four years he's been in F1.

Nico Hulkenberg didnt have a drive in 2011, so make that 1 good year out of 3 seasons in F1. And to be fair to him, this year's Sauber is an awful car, while the 2010 Williams wasn't stellar either...and he did put in that wonderful pole lap in Brazil.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:

+1

Nico Hulkenberg didnt have a drive in 2011, so make that 1 good year out of 3 seasons in F1. And to be fair to him, this year's Sauber is an awful car, while the 2010 Williams wasn't stellar either...and he did put in that wonderful pole lap in Brazil.

I counted his 3rd driver role in FI in 2011, FYI

He seems to make good work in Brazil... pole in 2010, led for 1/3 of the race in 2012... I predict a 6th for him this year, the way Sauber is heading. I still think he needs one more year to determine if he's the next champion driver. Maybe in Lotus, if Grosjean gets the sack.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Every now and then i keep hearing that Hulkenberg is really good and deserves a good machine. He gets props from top former F1 drivers and could become a potent driver some day. Rosberg had his doubters but look what he's capable of when his form picks up. He's matched Schamacher and Hamilton though i still wouldn't rate him that highly as both have suffered from adjusting problems. Hulk has never had a car good enough to get into good form and was maybe still too green but this and next could be his years.

As for Massa, he is still (sadly) the same driver he was when he joined Sauber all those years ago. Great speed and a winner on his day but too often reckless and throwing away potentially good results. He is in Ferrari of course because he can not touch Alonso in the WDC but can still pickup some points for the WCC. Any driver that could replace him would have to be the same, so i'm not sure how eager Hulkenberg or any younger driver (except Bianchi) should be to jump into that seat.

Should Kimi go, his and Massa's seats are what the silly season will revolve around.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

In a way I think that Massa staying at Ferrari this long reflects poorly on Alonso's character. Why are they keeping him? Either Alonso wants someone who won't be a threat to him, or someone in the team doesn't want to potentially disturb the equilibrium. I think Alonso is a great driver, but his reputation would improve in my eyes if he could demonstrate that he doesn't have a tantrum if his team mate is a bit too good.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.