The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:I thought this quote from Gary Anderson was quite interesting.

As a driver, Di Resta is as talented as necessary to win races. Whether he can win world championships or not, the biggest thing that lets him down is his attitude. In F1, if you're going to win the world title, you need everyone around you. Every member of the team needs to be pulling for you and really be on your side. And Paul doesn't know how to create that environment for himself. He has a lot to learn and he doesn't seem to be learning it.

Basically, thats a more mature and sensible version of what we've all been saying on here :lol:
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Di Resta gets a nod from the british media because he is currently doing well.

Does he? Although I avoid print media like the plague I havent really noticed a massive amount of coverage online, no more than other drivers. From what I've seen its still the 'Lewis n Jens show'
Just For One Day...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

As I said in the Dead-Beat Teammates Thread, Sutil could do the same thing to di Resta as Hulkenberg did in 2012 and if he does thrash di Resta in the final quarter of the year, he might end up getting the Ferrari drive himself!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

7 Di Restas
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

F1 Website's latest Paul Di Resta Q&A

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 14828.html
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:F1 Website's latest Paul Di Resta Q&A

Between 5-8 DiResta's
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

roblomas52 wrote:

Between 5-8 DiResta's

Is 5-8 Di Resta's an example of a rating?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

good_Ralf wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Between 5-8 DiResta's

Yes because bits of it were more egotistic than others & you can't really give halves can you?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Between 5-8 DiResta's

This post will explain everything

Cynon wrote:There needs to be a Paul di Resta Scale for egomaniacal quotes from people who don't deserve to have an ego. It would go from 1 to 10, with 10 di Restas being the average Paul di Resta quote, and 1 being... well, Narain Karthikeyan or HWNSNBM.
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

So which FI team member is going to draw the short straw for Q1?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Today's post quali love in wih the BBC is 9 Di Resta's on the scale
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Just thought I'd give you all something to chuckle at...

TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Just thought I'd give you all something to chuckle at...

Where did you find this? It's sums up Paul Di Resta in a nutshell
takagi_for_the_win

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Made it myself :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Made it myself :P

Impressive :D
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Just thought I'd give you all something to chuckle at...

Brilliant, dude. Just brilliant :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

And I thought Kim Jong Un going apeshite was going to mean the end of the world.

in all seriousness though, this is awesome
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Mallya belives he knows why Di Resta has been off of form lately

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/194351/1/m ... ssues.html

If Di Resta lived up to his hype then he would have driven around this problem easily
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Mallya belives he knows why Di Resta has been off of form lately

If Di Resta lived up to his hype then he would have driven around this problem easily

Exactly. The British Press have really screwed up now...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

go_Rubens wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Mallya belives he knows why Di Resta has been off of form lately

Lesson #1 regarding the British Press: They hype, therefore they are.
Lesson #2 regarding the British Press: They do not care if they are wrong.

Anyway, a few people on here recently )not just in this thread) have derided the British Press for hyping up British athletes and sportspeople. Whilst I agree that some of the hypees, such as the Glass of Milk, are not as good as the press claim them to be, why is supporting your own national athletes and sportspeople seen as a bad trait by some? Do the media in other countries show support for their athletes?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:

Even despite the fact that the team have admitted the ball is in their court to make it better for Di Resta. I think for you to suggest that his driving is the problem is unfair to say the least and sometimes, I get the feeling you two are just trying to criticise Di Resta for the sheer sake of it. Show some respect once in a while for all the drivers out there, not just the ones you like.

Alonso can't even drive around his Ferrari, so why would you expect Di Resta to suddenly adapt to different specification tyres despite the fact his driving style doesn't particularly suit them?

Di Resta's done a very good job this year. Deal with it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Lesson #1 regarding the British Press: They hype, therefore they are.
Lesson #2 regarding the British Press: They do not care if they are wrong.

Anyway, a few people on here recently )not just in this thread) have derided the British Press for hyping up British athletes and sportspeople. Whilst I agree that some of the hypees, such as the Glass of Milk, are not as good as the press claim them to be, why is supporting your own national athletes and sportspeople seen as a bad trait by some? Do the media in other countries show support for their athletes?

Exactly. I don't mind the British press hyping up our sportspeople and athletes, as long as it's kept under control. What''s so wrong with a bit of patriotism from time to time?

I'm not a fan of Di Resta, but you have to admit, he's raised his game this season so far, and he's been one of the top 10 drivers in the field with half the season gone. Force India's drop in form doesn't seem so strange now that we know that the change in Pirellis has affected them, so certain people on here can't claim it's because Di Resta is crap and arrogant, because it simply isn't true...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Even despite the fact that the team have admitted the ball is in their court to make it better for Di Resta. I think for you to suggest that his driving is the problem is unfair to say the least and sometimes, I get the feeling you two are just trying to criticise Di Resta for the sheer sake of it. Show some respect once in a while for all the drivers out there, not just the ones you like.

Alonso can't even drive around his Ferrari, so why would you expect Di Resta to suddenly adapt to different specification tyres despite the fact his driving style doesn't particularly suit them?

Di Resta's done a very good job this year. Deal with it.

Thank you.

I'm fed up with you guys deciding that di Resta is some talentless baboon who has somehow got a seat with a decent F1 team purely by luck, and thus everything he says/does/thinks is something to be ridiculed beyond belief. Its not funny, so just shut up. This thread was actually rather decent to begin with, but now its just descended into a di Resta poo-flinging place, and its all rather childish and silly.

Also, what if it was Sutil the team were defending? Go_Rubens and Freeze-o-Kimi, what would you make of that?

Rant over.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

12 year olds don't really do subtlety.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

pasta_maldonado wrote: why is supporting your own national athletes and sportspeople seen as a bad trait by some? Do the media in other countries show support for their athletes?

I read USA Today online several times a week. Bigging up your own nation is not restricted to the UK and anybody who thinks it is are just kidding themselves IMO.
Just For One Day...
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

East Londoner wrote:Exactly. I don't mind the British press hyping up our sportspeople and athletes, as long as it's kept under control. What''s so wrong with a bit of patriotism from time to time?

I'm not a fan of Di Resta, but you have to admit, he's raised his game this season so far, and he's been one of the top 10 drivers in the field with half the season gone. Force India's drop in form doesn't seem so strange now that we know that the change in Pirellis has affected them, so certain people on here can't claim it's because Di Resta is crap and arrogant, because it simply isn't true...

People don't hate di Resta because the British press completely overhypes him, they hate him he because he buys into the hype lock, stock, and barrel. There is evidence that some of those people include the very mechanics who are busting their asses to provide him with a good car for 1/5th of di Resta's salary.

Now this might come as a shock, but di Resta's had one of the 10 best cars on the grid for most races this season, so he's just putting the car where it should be. When it wasn't a top 10 car the last few races he slips back. Should everyone be applauding Max Chilton for being a top 22 F1 driver this season too then?
takagi_for_the_win

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Should everyone be applauding Max Chilton for being a top 22 F1 driver this season too then?

Obviously, yes :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Should everyone be applauding Max Chilton for being a top 22 F1 driver this season too then?

Max's courageous spirit in simply refusing to finish in 23rd position should be admired....
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Max's courageous spirit in simply refusing to finish in 23rd position should be admired....

And he looks like the love child of Jordan and Derek Zoolander
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Even despite the fact that his car has the number 23. 23rd position is virtually reserved for him, so it seems, but he continues to defy the odds and exceed expectations by finishing above said position, and has done so every single weekend. Oh sure, he may not have quite the same pace as Bianchi, but he outqualified him at Monaco, the toughest circuit of them all, and even prevented his Marussia from rolling backwards down a slope. If that's not talent, I don't know what is.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

The truth is that Di Resta has been rather impressive on track this year, nobody can realistically deny that. My problem is his massive sense of entitlement and ego. That is why I don't like him.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

eurobrun wrote:The truth is that Di Resta has been rather impressive on track this year, nobody can realistically deny that.

In my opinion only he's turned up and been capable, nothing more yet. Not as good as Grosjean but better than Guitterez.
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

I don't mind Di Resta really - his preservation of the tyres in Canada was genuinely impressive (was it 46 laps IIRC?), but on the other hand I find his perpetual lamenting being 'stuck' at FI in quite bad taste.

The only thing that bothers me about him is how simply unattractive he is. Call me shallow if you will, but why can't the whole grid just look like Jenson?

Wow.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
eurobrun wrote:The truth is that Di Resta has been rather impressive on track this year, nobody can realistically deny that.

In my opinion only he's turned up and been capable, nothing more yet. Not as good as Grosjean but better than Guitterez.

Maybe so. But he was being clearly outclassed by Hulkenberg in the tail end of last year, and he has turned that around this year. Maybe you think he should've been performing to that level anyway, but either way you look at it, he has stepped up his game.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

I wouldn't say that Grosjean has had a particularly strong season - in some ways, he has had a weaker season than 2012, since after 10 races in the 2012 season he'd scored 61 points compared to the 49 points he has so far this season, and that was despite retiring four times to just three this season.

The E21 is, in Kimi's hands, a competitive car, and yet Grosjean is further behind Kimi than Massa is behind Alonso (Massa has 61 points at the moment) - true, he probably would have been on a higher points haul if he hadn't picked up penalties in Hungary, but it has to be said that his form in the races up until then has been a little disappointing compared to 2012. He's been beaten 8-2 in qualifying this year by Kimi too, so even in terms of single lap pace, an area where he could match Kimi in 2012, he is now lagging to Kimi.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
takagi_for_the_win

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I wouldn't say that Grosjean has had a particularly strong season - in some ways, he has had a weaker season than 2012, since after 10 races in the 2012 season he'd scored 61 points compared to the 49 points he has so far this season, and that was despite retiring four times to just three this season.

The E21 is, in Kimi's hands, a competitive car, and yet Grosjean is further behind Kimi than Massa is behind Alonso (Massa has 61 points at the moment) - true, he probably would have been on a higher points haul if he hadn't picked up penalties in Hungary, but it has to be said that his form in the races up until then has been a little disappointing compared to 2012. He's been beaten 8-2 in qualifying this year by Kimi too, so even in terms of single lap pace, an area where he could match Kimi in 2012, he is now lagging to Kimi.

I think that Grosjean's problem is psychological more than anything. I mean, for the best part of this season, and pretty much every race after Monza last season, he looked a shadow of his early 2012 season. It would seem, it an attempt to rein in his crashy side, he's also started backing off a little bit and thus is nowhere near his true potential. Hopefully his fantastic showing in Hungary can give him a bit of confidence and he can rekindle some of that magic from last season
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I have no problem with Di Resta's driving because to be fair he has come the closest of the drivers outside of the top 4 teams to score a podium. I wouldn't mind him getting a few podiums (as long as Vettel and Hamilton aren't 1st and 2nd or if Vettel wins on his own) because he has enough speed to do it

My problem with Di Resta is when something goes wrong whether It's his fault or the teams he feels like he's got to blame the team for not doing a good enough job. If he could accept some of his own errors and stop slagging the team off and also showed more charisma then i could accept him as a decent driver
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I have no problem with Di Resta's driving because to be fair he has come the closest of the drivers outside of the top 4 teams to score a podium. I wouldn't mind him getting a few podiums (as long as Vettel and Hamilton aren't 1st and 2nd or if Vettel wins on his own) because he has enough speed to do it

My problem with Di Resta is when something goes wrong whether It's his fault or the teams he feels like he's got to blame the team for not doing a good enough job. If he could accept some of his own errors and stop slagging the team off and also showed more charisma then i could accept him as a decent driver

That doesn't totally make a lot of sense.

You've more or less stated in the first section that he's a good driver, yet you'd only be willing to accept him as such if he improves his public relations? I'm sorry to say this, but all Formula 1 driver moans. That's how it is. The only reason you get Di Resta apparently moaning more is that BBC and Sky interview him after each and every session.

Just because someone's a bit grumpy doesn't make them a bad driver. Maybe a bad character perhaps, but it doesn't affect one's driving. I'd agree he's guilty of blaming his team sometimes, but what do you expect when someone's been knocked out of Q1 knowing they can do better? Imagine it; you're a driver in a hot environment and full to the brim of adrenaline. The radio crackles into life only to provide you with "Paul, you're 17th". You're going to be a bit more than disappointed, and you're going to be looking for a reason why.

There's a difference between who's a good driver and who's a good person. Nelson Piquet, for example: top driver, but a dreadful public figure. You can't say somebody's a crap driver just because you don't like them very much.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I have no problem with Di Resta's driving because to be fair he has come the closest of the drivers outside of the top 4 teams to score a podium. I wouldn't mind him getting a few podiums (as long as Vettel and Hamilton aren't 1st and 2nd or if Vettel wins on his own) because he has enough speed to do it

That doesn't totally make a lot of sense.

You've more or less stated in the first section that he's a good driver, yet you'd only be willing to accept him as such if he improves his public relations? I'm sorry to say this, but all Formula 1 driver moans. That's how it is. The only reason you get Di Resta apparently moaning more is that BBC and Sky interview him after each and every session.

Just because someone's a bit grumpy doesn't make them a bad driver. Maybe a bad character perhaps, but it doesn't affect one's driving. I'd agree he's guilty of blaming his team sometimes, but what do you expect when someone's been knocked out of Q1 knowing they can do better? Imagine it; you're a driver in a hot environment and full to the brim of adrenaline. The radio crackles into life only to provide you with "Paul, you're 17th". You're going to be a bit more than disappointed, and you're going to be looking for a reason why.

There's a difference between who's a good driver and who's a good person. Nelson Piquet, for example: top driver, but a dreadful public figure. You can't say somebody's a crap driver just because you don't like them very much.

Saying Di Resta is bad is like saying Andy Murray is bad at tennis. Must be a Scottish thing.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy