2013 Korean Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2013 Korean Grand Prix

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

watka wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:So Mr Vettel is on Pole. By MIles 8-)

I don't see how quarter of a second is miles. Nonetheless, Vettel does look to have the pace again and race history would suggest he's going to be difficult to beat if he can get away in the early laps. Hopefully Mercedes will properly be in the mix this race because they've been fighting for 4th-5th-6th recently rather than the podiums, I can certainly see an interesting race for the podium spots.

If it's any scant consolation, the polesitter at the Korean GP has never gone on to win the race, so there's hope yet.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

I've put one euro on Grosjean, it pays 30, that's spicy. Mighty Romain is on course for his first victory.
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

madmark1974 wrote:It's about that time of year for me to post Red Bull's CGI representation of the track from 2010 :

http://youtu.be/y6OZT8_j944

Let's see how similar it looks this year :P

:lol: Oh my goodness...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

#ThisIsn'tRomain'sRace

Yep, trying to reverse-curse once more in the vain hope of seeing Rrrrrmmmmnnn Gggggrrrjjjnnn win...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Gvozdenovic wrote:Rachel 1990 you really need some spice in your analysis, you simply say what's most obvious to happen, that will always be a solid preview but never a great one. So, some spice, like, Vettel doesn't win. :)

And Optimism (of which I have a lot of)

Was there rain forecast for the 2010 race cause if not then that counts as "some spice".

you know I did write it at 8am when I WOKE UP!! :shock:

I think Vettel Now will win but Gutierrez will now storm through the field and take a huge chunk of points when he runs away until the final lap when Ferrari launch the brand new stop sauber app which makes sure alonso finishes ahead of him.

Spicy enough :lol:
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Gvozdenovic wrote:Rachel 1990 you really need some spice in your analysis, you simply say what's most obvious to happen, that will always be a solid preview but never a great one. So, some spice, like, Vettel doesn't win. :)

And Optimism (of which I have a lot of)

Was there rain forecast for the 2010 race cause if not then that counts as "some spice".

you know I did write it at 8am when I WOKE UP!! :shock:

I think Vettel Now will win but Gutierrez will now storm through the field and take a huge chunk of points when he runs away until the final lap when Ferrari launch the brand new stop sauber app which makes sure alonso finishes ahead of him.

Spicy enough :lol:

Calm down Rachel :shock:

Anyway if he keeps this level of performance up then Guti could escape a place on the ROTY podium
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

rachel1990 wrote:I think Vettel Now will win but Gutierrez will now storm through the field and take a huge chunk of points when he runs away until the final lap when Ferrari launch the brand new stop sauber app which makes sure alonso finishes ahead of him.

No! I want Gut^2 to score his first F1 points tomorrow. If he can do that it will potentially rid him of the provisional ROTY award. I hope he does well.

EDIT: I have posted after you F-O-K but I am not copying you. :)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:I think Vettel Now will win but Gutierrez will now storm through the field and take a huge chunk of points when he runs away until the final lap when Ferrari launch the brand new stop sauber app which makes sure alonso finishes ahead of him.

No! I want Gut^2 to score his first F1 points tomorrow. If he can do that it will potentially rid him of the provisional ROTY award. I hope he does well.

EDIT: I have posted after you F-O-K but I am not copying you. :)

I understand that ralf but i only said a place on the ROTY podium and not the outright title (MCLARENWINSLOL)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I understand that ralf but i only said a place on the ROTY podium and not the outright title (MCLARENWINSLOL)

For some reason in my head there are two ROTY podiums, one for drivers and one for constructors. At the moment, the main contenders in my opinion are sadly Chilton and Gutierrez. For constructors, the podium is for sure locked out by Sauber (unless they copy their post-Spa efforts in every race from now), Williams and McLaren. All 3 were hoping to build more winning cars but have cocked-up instead.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I understand that ralf but i only said a place on the ROTY podium and not the outright title (MCLARENWINSLOL)

For some reason in my head there are two ROTY podiums, one for drivers and one for constructors. At the moment, the main contenders in my opinion are sadly Chilton and Gutierrez. For constructors, the podium is for sure locked out by Sauber (unless they copy their post-Spa efforts in every race from now), Williams and McLaren. All 3 were hoping to build more winning cars but have cocked-up instead.

There is one overall award for ROTY, but in the ranks for the teams and drivers there is a sort of unofficial mini ROTY podium for each list.

In terms of what was expected of the teams or drivers compared to what they delivered, I would say that McLaren definitely are the ones who have come up shortest on their goals. Their bold gamble, which initially looked like a winner in the first test, has backfired badly, they've lost a driver and their technical director to their former engine suppliers and, to compound the misery, they recorded a £3.1 million loss in their latest set of accounts thanks to Mercedes cutting its funding to the team. http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/10/02/mcla ... -for-2012/

In the case of Sauber, I think that their performance is, if anything, more of a regression to the mean in some ways - 2012 looks like it was more of a one off and, in reality, their form is perhaps closer to where they are now. Their performance in 2012 was impressive, but at the same time it was hard to see how a relatively underfinanced outfit could keep that level of performance up - and that question has been answered with a definite negative.

As for Williams, what more can I say that hasn't already been said? They have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory this year and it is almost pitiful to see that once mighty team falling so far from grace. I wasn't expecting them to win races again, but a modest but steady stream of points finishes during the year must have seemed like a realistic goal.

To a certain extent, Force India are perhaps on the fringes of the podium too - the reversal in form we have seen ever since the tyres were changed has been remarkable and severely damaged their performance. Having once been in a position to humble McLaren, they are now under a little bit of pressure from Toro Rosso in the constructors - the team may yet rue the mistakes in the earlier part of the season that cost them quite a few points...

As for the drivers, well, I guess that Gutierrez and Chilton may get the nominations by default, although I would say that I'd probably put Gutierrez a bit further ahead of Chilton given that the expectations of Gutierrez were higher.

I suppose that Perez would probably be another nomination too - whilst there were a few questions over his end of year performance in 2012, his performances in the earlier part of this year hurt his reputation quite badly too. The relative difference in points between himself and Button is the largest of the drivers in the top five teams, and it has left the difficult to shift accusation that Perez's position at McLaren owes more to his connections with Telmex.

Whilst the car is rather poor, his qualifying performance hasn't been that great - he is currently 8-5 down on Button, a man who is known and freely admits to struggling in qualifying - but, for a while, it looked like he lacked Button's ability to use strategy and studied aggression to recover some of that lost ground. It is true that he is improving in that regard but first impressions, once made, are not easily shifted - not just in the press, but also, it seems, amongst the drivers and in the paddock (Perez has already been subjected to criticism during the formal driver briefings for his conduct on track).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Another unfortunate Perez stat is that when both cars have finished, only twice has Checo beaten Button home (In Bahrain, of course and Canada).

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

good_Ralf wrote:Another unfortunate Perez stat is that when both cars have finished, only twice has Checo beaten Button home (In Bahrain, of course and Canada).

Despite this, I think Perez will beat Button by some margin tomorrow.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Funny moment during Ted's Qualifying Notebook on Sky today, when Ted slammed Croftys lap-top lid down in a hurry :lol: .
What was on there?
-*:-
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

roblomas52 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Another unfortunate Perez stat is that when both cars have finished, only twice has Checo beaten Button home (In Bahrain, of course and Canada).

Despite this, I think Perez will beat Button by some margin tomorrow.

Don't think so. Perez has beaten Button on Saturday in Spain, Monaco, Hungary and Italy, but when it mattered, at the chequered flag, Button is ahead, sometimes decisively passing Checo as early as lap 1. The only weekend where Perez has beaten Button on both Sat and Sun has been Canada, when both cars finished out of the points.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 05 Oct 2013, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gvozdenovic wrote:I've put one euro on Grosjean, it pays 30, that's spicy. Mighty Romain is on course for his first victory.

From the 18th post down onwards. I am still confident that Monsieur Grosjean will NOT win. And the third and fourth posts here show what will happen if he doesn't...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Jocke1 wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/10/15049.html

That's only because Chilton's just one tenth of a second slower instead of a second or two.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, this race looked promising, but it's turning into the usual VETTELWINSLOL steamroller. :(

What the hell was Massa trying to do at Turn 3? :lol:

Di Resta fails again! :lol:
Last edited by Londoner on 06 Oct 2013, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I just wonder if Vettel will get booed again.
Trump 2016
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

GLASS OF MILK. :(
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

East Londoner wrote:Well, this race looked promising, but it's turning into the usual VETTELWINSLOL steamroller. :(

bathplug off please. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

apple2009 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Well, this race looked promising, but it's turning into the usual VETTELWINSLOL steamroller. :(

bathplug off please. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go away Apple you taste off
Officially Retired
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I love it when David Hobbs says "stone the crow".
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And the Pirelli hate bandwagon starts up again. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Safety car.

Cue the Vettel haters wetting themselves with joy.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

HawkAussie wrote:Go away Apple you taste off
Interesting insult there :lol:
Trump 2016
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Bloody hell, Webber can't catch a break, can he?
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

What the on the Jeep
Officially Retired
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

WTF, a Jeep on track? :lol:
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Oh man, ROTR just got a whole lot harder ...
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Ridiculous "organisation" from the Korean guys.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

mediocre wrote:Ridiculous "organisation" from the Korean guys.

Tell me about it
Officially Retired
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

How so?
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

apple2009 wrote:

How so?

1) it took damn long to clear the debris from Perez' tyre from the track
2) it took even damn longer for a marshal with a fire extinguisher to appear anywhere near Webber's car
3) how on earth can you release a Jeep in the middle of the race when the Safety Car is not deployed yet?

If the question was being sarcastic, my fault (and nomination for ROTR). :lol:
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

apple2009 wrote:

How so?

Are you actually eatching the race or not ?!
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

mediocre wrote:
apple2009 wrote:

How so?

1) it took damn long to clear the debris from Perez' tyre from the track
2) it took even damn longer for a marshal with a fire extinguisher to appear anywhere near Webber's car
3) how on earth can you release a Jeep in the middle of the race when the Safety Car is not deployed yet?

If the question was being sarcastic, my fault (and nomination for ROTR). :lol:

1 and 2) I don't think it was that long.
3) Good point there, it made for good entertainment though. :P
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Great battle for tenth right now.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Really exciting race all the way through. Incredible Hulk finishes fourth. I'm going to go out and say Hulk is the fifth best driver in Formula One right now.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

apple2009 wrote:Really exciting race all the way through. Incredible Hulk finishes fourth. I'm going to go out and say Hulk is the fifth best driver in Formula One right now.

Behind who?

apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

good_Ralf wrote:
apple2009 wrote:Really exciting race all the way through. Incredible Hulk finishes fourth. I'm going to go out and say Hulk is the fifth best driver in Formula One right now.

Behind who?

Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, and Raikkonen (in that order).