Extended Project about Ferrari 1979-2000

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Extended Project about Ferrari 1979-2000

Post by Alextrax52 »

At my school I'm doing a subject called the extended project which means writing about anything you want. I chose to do Ferrari's failures between 1979-2000. I know Jamie and Enoch did a wonderful piece about the saga and I could use the Ivan Capelli 1992 article as that is along the lines of it but is there anything that I could add to it from preferably the older members here?
good_Ralf

Re: Extended Project about Ferrari 1979-2000

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:At my school I'm doing a subject called the extended project which means writing about anything you want. I chose to do Ferrari's failures between 1979-2000. I know Jamie and Enoch did a wonderful piece about the saga and I could use the Ivan Capelli 1992 article as that is along the lines of it but is there anything that I could add to it from preferably the older members here?

I'm not an older member at all but are you trying to evaluate the biggest fail made by Ferrari or just looking at the fails in general? Talking of 1992 you should mention about year's car as well. On paper it should have been a real threat to Williams and McLaren but on track it was a disaster. In fact a lot of the cars in that era were fundamentally wrong.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

That's odd, because my sixth form stated that the EPQ had to be connected with the subjects that you were studying :?

Either way, my EPQ (on the subject of the Tories losing the 1997 General Election) was a complete waste of my time. I would advise against doing it, personally. I stopped caring about mine after I did the first write-up, managed to bullshit my way through the presentation, got a C overall, and then found out that virtually no universities really care about the qualification. :evil:

Anyway, back on topic. You definitely should including the topic of Enzo Ferrari in your plan, as the team often got left behind due to Enzo's conservatism over car design (the 1980 season, the mid-1980s turbo seasons), and then the effects of Enzo's death in 1988, which still affected the team somewhat up until Schumacher turned up at Marenello. There's a superb post by dinizintheoven somewhere on the forum about old man Ferrari, I suggest you should have a look at it if you can find it.
Last edited by Londoner on 07 Oct 2013, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've got a stack of Autosports and F1 News magazines from the mid-1990s. I could spend some time at weekends between now and Christmas trying to dig out some feature articles on Ferrari if you wish? (I was going to do this with the F1 News magazines anyway, but focussing on an alternate team...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:At my school I'm doing a subject called the extended project which means writing about anything you want. I chose to do Ferrari's failures between 1979-2000. I know Jamie and Enoch did a wonderful piece about the saga and I could use the Ivan Capelli 1992 article as that is along the lines of it but is there anything that I could add to it from preferably the older members here?

I'm not an older member at all but are you trying to evaluate the biggest fail made by Ferrari or just looking at the fails in general? Talking of 1992 you should mention about year's car as well. On paper it should have been a real threat to Williams and McLaren but on track it was a disaster. In fact a lot of the cars in that era were fundamentally wrong.

It's everything that went wrong for them in that period from the 1980 disaster to the 1991-1995 Drought and so on

Thanks for your suggestions guys I appreciate them. Baker you could look through your magazine if you like
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

East Londoner wrote:Anyway, back on topic. You definitely should including the topic of Enzo Ferrari in your plan, as the team often got left behind due to Enzo's conservatism over car design (the 1980 season, the mid-1980s turbo seasons), and then the effects of Enzo's death in 1988, which still affected the team somewhat up until Schumacher turned up at Marenello. There's a superb post by dinizintheoven somewhere on the forum about old man Ferrari, I suggest you should have a look at it if you can find it.

Treat it entirely as an opinion piece, of course - but then, so are Enoch's articles for Reject Centrale.

What I also have is an article from the BBC F1 season guide, probably 1999 or 2000, outlining Ferrari's failures to win since Jody Scheckter's championship. Particular attention is paid to how he failed to qualify the dog that was the T5 the next year in Canada, how Ivan Capelli's career was "marmalised in the political cauldron of Maranello", and how the ugly 1996 effort was a poor car but "guess who dragged three wins out of it?"

I could scan it and send it on along with all that bumph I've been meaning to send to Mischa...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Alan Henry wrote a book called Ferrari: the Battle for Revival in the mid-1990s. I don't own it, and it's been several years since I flicked through it in a second-hand bookshop, but I believe it covers your topic very well. There are cheap used copies on Amazon and Abebooks, so it could be worth buying one.

Just out of interest, how long does the project have to be (in terms of wordcount)?
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

midgrid wrote:Alan Henry wrote a book called Ferrari: the Battle for Revival in the mid-1990s. I don't own it, and it's been several years since I flicked through it in a second-hand bookshop, but I believe it covers your topic very well. There are cheap used copies on Amazon and Abebooks, so it could be worth buying one.

Just out of interest, how long does the project have to be (in terms of wordcount)?

3000 words
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
midgrid wrote:Just out of interest, how long does the project have to be (in terms of wordcount)?

3000 words

Does that include a literature review?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
midgrid wrote:Just out of interest, how long does the project have to be (in terms of wordcount)?

3000 words

Does that include a literature review?

No it doesn't it just involves some good research about what I want to do