2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by roblo97 »

solarcold wrote:Rumours wandering around Russia: Petrov\Sirotkin line-up for Sauber

Would have been a great lineup for Marussia though :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Shizuka wrote:
solarcold wrote:Rumours wandering around Russia: Petrov\Sirotkin line-up for Sauber

That could absolutely work. No language barrier between the two either.

Would be a barrier between them and the team though...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

dr-baker wrote:Would be a barrier between them and the team though...

Yes, that however would cause some problems.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Shizuka wrote:

We Russians aren't master English speakers, but I suppose Petrov can speak fairly well (though his pronounciation is some fun really), and I'm sure Sirotkin learns already.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

solarcold wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

We Russians aren't master English speakers, but I suppose Petrov can speak fairly well (though his pronounciation is some fun really), and I'm sure Sirotkin learns already.

i remember Petrov's interview after Melbourne 2011, and his pronounciation was very good so I am sure that Sirotkin will be fine.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Peter Prodromou, Red Bull aero chief, set for return to McLaren.

:twisted:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110552
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

kevinbotz wrote:Peter Prodromou, Red Bull aero chief, set for return to McLaren.

I don't care about the implications for Red Bull, this is great enough just for McLaren :P
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Hound55 wrote:
kevinbotz wrote:Peter Prodromou, Red Bull aero chief, set for return to McLaren.

I don't care about the implications for Red Bull, this is great enough just for McLaren :P

I wholeheartedly agree. Prodromou is unequivocally a very potent asset

As a McLaren fan, I do derive a perverse catharsis from the fact that my favorite team has strengthened itself at the expense of Red Bull, especially following their ransacking by Mercedes at the end of last year.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

This brings up a question then: what exactly is McLaren aiming for then next year? Prodromou and Honda is still a season away, Mercedes will only support with the bare minimum, and the only change will probably be the new title sponsorship, most likely by Telmex. This absolutely feels like a Williams '99 to me. They still used Renault engines with BMW confirmed for '00.

kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Shizuka wrote:This brings up a question then: what exactly is McLaren aiming for then next year? Prodromou and Honda is still a season away, Mercedes will only support with the bare minimum, and the only change will probably be the new title sponsorship, most likely by Telmex. This absolutely feels like a Williams '99 to me. They still used Renault engines with BMW confirmed for '00.

I would be callow and opine that McLaren will challenge for the championship next season, but I can't overlook that, as you've mentioned above, there are a multitude of factors weighing against them for 2014.

Realistically, I expect their focus to be on consolidating their partnership with Honda and on continuing the process of bolstering their technical department. With regards to performance, though I don't believe we'll witness a repeat of this year's catastrophes, I can't see them being consistent enough to challenge for a title. Most likely, they'll be aiming for third or fourth in the Constructor's Championship and mount a serious challenge for 2015.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

solarcold wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

The Russians on the Biathlon World Cup don't speak any English at all so i see what you mean
mario

Post by mario »

kevinbotz wrote:
Shizuka wrote:This brings up a question then: what exactly is McLaren aiming for then next year? Prodromou and Honda is still a season away, Mercedes will only support with the bare minimum, and the only change will probably be the new title sponsorship, most likely by Telmex. This absolutely feels like a Williams '99 to me. They still used Renault engines with BMW confirmed for '00.

I would be callow and opine that McLaren will challenge for the championship next season, but I can't overlook that, as you've mentioned above, there are a multitude of factors weighing against them for 2014.

Realistically, I expect their focus to be on consolidating their partnership with Honda and on continuing the process of bolstering their technical department. With regards to performance, though I don't believe we'll witness a repeat of this year's catastrophes, I can't see them being consistent enough to challenge for a title. Most likely, they'll be aiming for third or fourth in the Constructor's Championship and mount a serious challenge for 2015.

Prodromou is a pretty high profile signing for McLaren - Newey may be the figurehead for Red Bull, but Prodromou has been quite influential in his own right and it shows from the fact that, despite the public comments, they don't seem keen for him to leave the team.

However, realistically he is only going to have a significant impact for McLaren from late 2015 at the earliest, and probably more towards 2016 instead, given that McLaren will probably start developing their 2015 car from mid 2014. They are probably going to be more competitive in 2014 given the reforms they've made after this year, but the reduction in support from Mercedes and the smaller slice of the end of year prize winnings from FOM is likely to hurt them in 2014 and is likely to knock their competitiveness back a bit.
Overall, I'd agree that 3rd is a respectable goal for 2014 - you would expect Mercedes to be in a stronger position given that they will be designing the engine around their car rather than helping McLaren (possibly causing integration issues for the latter team) whilst Red Bull's financial muscle will also be hard to beat. Still, if the rumours of Ferrari's engine being weak are true and are coupled to bigger financial problems or further losses of technical staff from Lotus, those two teams are potentially beatable next year.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Eddie Jordan has apparently said that Hulkenberg is on his way back to Force India, and Massa is heading to Lotus.

For once, I hope he's wrong. Or at least he got the names mixed up. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Eddie Jordan has apparently said that Hulkenberg is on his way back to Force India, and Massa is heading to Lotus.

If Eddie is getting his info from other teams (which was likely to be the reason why he correctly predicted the 'Kimi to Ferrari' move) then he is probably right.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

East Londoner wrote:Eddie Jordan has apparently said that Hulkenberg is on his way back to Force India, and Massa is heading to Lotus.

That...that's just not right. How much more does Hulkenberg need to do to land a competitive seat, for crying out loud.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

good_Ralf wrote:

If Eddie is getting his info from other teams (which was likely to be the reason why he correctly predicted the 'Kimi to Ferrari' move) then he is probably right.

You've GOT to be joking.

This is the icing on today's abysmal cake.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

SgtPepper wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

You've GOT to be joking.

This is the icing on today's abysmal cake.

It wouldn't be all bad though. This scenario would almost certainly rid F1 of the di Resta virus.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:It wouldn't be all bad though. This scenario would almost certainly rid F1 of the di Resta virus.

You only come here for insulting di Resta. There are many reasons to criticize him, but the way you're doing it is unacceptable.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pi314159 wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:It wouldn't be all bad though. This scenario would almost certainly rid F1 of the di Resta virus.

You only come here for insulting di Resta. There are many reasons to criticize him, but the way you're doing it is unacceptable.

How about everyone shut up about this because it doesn't help matters.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

What else does Hülkenberg have to do to get into at least a McLaren? He's single handedly kicking Toro Rosso's ass, and Sauber is now on the way to catch Force India...

The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

During the build up for qualifying Eddie Jordan said Massa would go to Force India, given his supposed Petrobras sponsorship doesn't mix with the sponsorship of Total that Lotus has.
Somehow Jordan changed his mind or got the names wrong. To be honest I haven't seen Eddie Jordan say that this morning, I was watching the closing stages of the Bathurst 1000.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The Dutch Bear wrote:

During the build up for qualifying Eddie Jordan said Massa would go to Force India, given his supposed Petrobras sponsorship doesn't mix with the sponsorship of Total that Lotus has.
Somehow Jordan changed his mind or got the names wrong. To be honest I haven't seen Eddie Jordan say that this morning, I was watching the closing stages of the Bathurst 1000.

I hope you're right, because I think that would be a much...nicer series of events.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I notice Edmund doesnt think Maldonado will be at Williams next year, I wonder where he'll end up?
Just For One Day...
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

CoopsII wrote:I notice Edmund doesnt think Maldonado will be at Williams next year, I wonder where he'll end up?

Nowhere hopefully. His attitude and driving speak for themselves.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Metaphorically speaking, he's nowhere already.
Dallara, 2010
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Something about that move, and Maldonado's body language, come across to me like a man who is really starting to feel the pressure from a rookie teammate, and (understandably) struggling with the shift from a winning 2012, to backmarker 2013.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

SgtPepper wrote:

Something about that move, and Maldonado's body language, come across to me like a man who is really starting to feel the pressure from a rookie teammate, and (understandably) struggling with the shift from a winning 2012, to backmarker 2013.

True but considering Maldonado was in a similar position in 2011 with Williams you probably would have expected him to have dealt with the situation a lot better
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:

What else does Hülkenberg have to do to get into at least a McLaren? He's single handedly kicking Toro Rosso's ass, and Sauber is now on the way to catch Force India...

Hulkenberg's problem is the fact that so many teams want to establish long term relationships with drivers that they have invested in, not to mention that the top tier drivers are not keen to move on or have a new driver break into their world.

I suppose that another problem Hulkenberg has had is that he hasn't always tended to start seasons off on a strong footing, which probably means that he tends to drift out of contention a little when the first phase of contract talks begin.

2012 would perhaps be a good example - whilst given the opportunity to take part in 14 free practise sessions in 2011, di Resta seemed to have the measure of him for the majority of the season. Hulkenberg's best performances took place in the final third of the year (i.e. mostly within the last six races) - the problem is that that run of form only really started in October.
By that point in time, Hamilton had committed to Mercedes and McLaren had committed to Perez, Lotus were finalising terms with Kimi and Grosjean, Massa had persuaded Ferrari to renew his contract after he had shown a stronger run of form in the previous few races, Webber had already signed up for one last year with Red Bull during the summer and most of the other major players were on existing long term contracts and therefore already had secure seats in top teams.

Hulkenberg's form did attract attention and praise from team bosses in late 2012, but after the Singapore GP - which was the race before his upturn in form - he only had 31 points in the WDC and lay in 14th place. He was behind his team mate, behind the soon to be sacked Kobayashi and only a few points ahead of the inconsistent Maldonado and struggling Bruno Senna, making it harder for him to sell himself to the top teams.

This season has been similar, although that would appear to be more down to Sauber's difficulties rather than Hulkenberg directly - although he drove hard in the opening races, he could only scrape minor points finishes at best and couldn't gain any credit for beating Gutierrez given he was expected to beat him. It always seems to be the case that his best performances come too late in the season to effect the decision making process, such that he can't put himself into the spotlight just when he needs to do so.

His talks with Ferrari stalled during the Hungarian GP, whereas Kimi was coming off the back of a near victory in Germany and picked up another podium in Hungary, Button seems to have already secured his slot with McLaren before Hulkenberg's recent improvements, Mercedes have no incentive to change what has been a fairly closely matched pairing where the two drivers seem to have a very good working relationship and Red Bull had one driver locked in and another being prepared at Toro Rosso. Perez is perhaps vulnerable, but McLaren may yet feel that they can guide him to strike a better balance between pace, aggression and consistency.
Eually, Grosjean's chances of staying at Lotus are improving with his upturn in performances recently, so Hulkenberg now finds himself having to compete for the remaining seat at Lotus against other drivers whose financial backing might tip things in their favour (Boullier has said that he is keen to avoid a pay driver, but also accepts that he might have to if he cannot improve the financial situation of the team). Boullier's comments indicate that he is favoured by Lotus, but can Lotus, in turn, deliver for him given the loss of more key personnel and their precarious finances?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

CoopsII wrote:I notice Edmund doesnt think Maldonado will be at Williams next year, I wonder where he'll end up?

Hopefully Lotus. A leading team needs a driver as crazy as Maldolan.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Cynon wrote:

It's not a bad idea, actually, Maldonado has toned down his crashes this year. Grosjean and Maldonado would make a great pairing. And I doubt Lotus would think twice about his sponsorship cash, if he still has it. (Given what happened to Chaves)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

Aerospeed wrote:
Cynon wrote:

It's not a bad idea, actually, Maldonado has toned down his crashes this year. Grosjean and Maldonado would make a great pairing. And I doubt Lotus would think twice about his sponsorship cash, if he still has it. (Given what happened to Chaves)

Ah, but then there's the question of Hulk again.
Most likely I see Williams retaining Maldonald, as the main reason why he is there ($) is still needed by the team and presumably something he can still bring.
Enstone will likely sign up Hulk, at the very least it would be a crying shame if he didn't get the gig, Hulk is definitely top team tier, if maybe not a potential championship contender, but of course he should still be given a chance to prove himself.
I think Force India would be the most interesting place to watch this silly season, both their current drivers seem far from secure their, and with a mix of veterans such as massa and koboyashi, and as always numerous youngsters all without f1 drives for next year so far, it could be a very different looking Force India team come 2014.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

But between Sauber and Findia, wouldn't it be better to stay at Sauber, now that they finally found pace again?

A team secured by russian money seems a bit dodgy, but Findia is often in the news about money insecurities too
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

lgaquino wrote:But between Sauber and Findia, wouldn't it be better to stay at Sauber, now that they finally found pace again?

Possibly, but Hülkenberg has done his Sauber contract in a long time ago.

A team secured by russian money seems a bit dodgy, but Findia is often in the news about money insecurities too

Both outfits are dodgy right now. If I were a driver, I wouldn't be keen on Force India. Unless I'm an aspiring driver for McLaren like Magnussen. Then I'd take a chance.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

What's so dodgy about russian money? ;)
Yes, we're a monster machine of bureaucracy, we tend to fail to do things in time, always red tapes with contracts and projects, but we are doing our best to make our path into the world of autosport.
Dallara, 2010
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

hehe don't get me wrong mate, it's not about Russia itself.. but historically, in F1, there were a few times where a struggling team found a russian sponsor no one had a clue about. and then they quickly disappeared. :)
(Although I gotta say at least Russia IS trying. Unlike Brazil here, that matches your description there ..except for the ending)
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Yea, I recall that Gazprom\Minardi failure.
Dallara, 2010
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Hulkenberg 2014 contract signed; destination nebulous.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/10/h ... s-heading/
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Re: Russian investors, at least they're not Qadbak.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Lotus poised to finalize financial agreement with Quantum Motorsports, formerly Infinity Racing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110658