Ideas for more Reject Centrale articles

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Ideas for more Reject Centrale articles

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:The main problem with Jaguar from 2000 through to 2004 was that no one was really in charge long enough to give them any sort of direction.

Yeah, I think BCS and I summed that up, although not very obvious :oops:

I'd like to see an article on Bianchi. Considering what he has done in that Marussia, and F1 Rejects supports the back of the grid, one has to wonder what he could do with a better car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

How about we give Bianchi a season before we even think about an article about him?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:How about we give Bianchi a season before we even think about an article about him?

Yeah, I just realized he is a F1 rookie. :oops: But he doesn't drive like it in my opinion. Another year is a good idea.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:How about we give Bianchi a season before we even think about an article about him?

Yeah, I just realized he is a F1 rookie. :oops: But he doesn't drive like it in my opinion. Another year is a good idea.

When I knew enough about Bianchi, I described him as a driver who journalists were hyping up as a future WDC. I was disappointed that he got pipped for the Force India seat and then I was excited about him driving for Marussia, as I feared he might never get to F1.

Who agrees with me that if he continues like this, Bianchi will be in the top 10 in the Season Review driver rankings.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

When I knew enough about Bianchi, I described him as a driver who journalists were hyping up as a future WDC. I was disappointed that he got pipped for the Force India seat and then I was excited about him driving for Marussia, as I feared he might never get to F1.

Who agrees with me that if he continues like this, Bianchi will be in the top 10 in the Season Review driver rankings.

He'll definitely be past the Q1 Zone at the end of the year. Besides we don't want Enoch cursing him this early do we
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Enoch seems to curse a lot of people, does he? He's seemed to do it to Kimi and JEV.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:Enoch seems to curse a lot of people, does he? He's seemed to do it to Kimi and JEV.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Enoch seems to curse a lot of people, does he? He's seemed to do it to Kimi and JEV.

Conan O'Brien? I hate that guy... Don't get me started on him.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

go_Rubens wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Subtle, Mr Davies.

Anyway, I'd really be interested in an article as to why many IndyCar and CART drivers over the last decade or so haven't been able to crack into F1. I mean, Castroneves, TK, Conway (I think), and Andretti have all tested F1 cars at some point in the past, and I'm certain that at least Helio and TK would have been able to hack it in F1.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

He'd better not curse Nico Rosberg. That guy is the form of his life right now
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Instead of writing about how Vettel is the best because that's old school enoch should write about how crap the Mercedes tire wear is. Not a Reject Centrale Article I know but still a possible idea
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

Ideas for articles;

Brundlefly - The 1992 Benetton and Schumacher's Equal?
An appraisal of MB, exploring how he came to a Benetton drive and how he should have been kept on. Investigate whether he truly was a match for Schumacher or whether this was because it was Schumi's first full season

The Yellow Peril - Where It Went Wrong For Jordan
The poor first half of 1998, Damon Hill's 1999, letting Gary Anderson go, Trulli not living up to expectations, the non-merger with Honda despite outperforming BAR, weak engines 2002-04

Tyrrell-annical - Tyrrell's 1998
Title alludes to Craig Pollock and BAR's strongarm tactics; forcing Ken to leave his own team, Rosset over Verstappen et al

Would love to try and write these myself but I feel there are other people better suited for the job.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Liquid wrote:Ideas for articles;The Yellow Peril - Where It Went Wrong For Jordan
The poor first half of 1998, Damon Hill's 1999, letting Gary Anderson go, Trulli not living up to expectations, the non-merger with Honda despite outperforming BAR, weak engines 2002-04

Great ideas. Jordan really began to slide back from the moment Frentzen retired from the lead at the Nurburgring in 1999 when he was set to equal Hakkinen and Irvine in the title battle.
Personally, I don't think Trulli didn't live up to expectations, but the car did. Sure, Trulli fell asleep a little in races despite being excellent in quali, but he was a good driver anyway, ranked 10th by F1Rejects in 2000 and 11th in 2001. The Jordan post-1999 had awful reliability. In 2000, the Mugen-Honda engine was becoming old compared with the rest, so Jordan developed a lighter gearbox, which turned out to be very troublesome. After all, it cost Trulli a certain podium and possible win in Monte Carlo!

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Liquid wrote:Ideas for articles;The Yellow Peril - Where It Went Wrong For Jordan

Great ideas. Jordan really began to slide back from the moment Frentzen retired from the lead at the Nurburgring in 1999 when he was set to equal Hakkinen and Irvine in the title battle.
Personally, I don't think Trulli didn't live up to expectations, but the car did. Sure, Trulli fell asleep a little in races despite being excellent in quali, but he was a good driver anyway, ranked 10th by F1Rejects in 2000 and 11th in 2001. The Jordan post-1999 had awful reliability. In 2000, the Mugen-Honda engine was becoming old compared with the rest, so Jordan developed a lighter gearbox, which turned out to be very troublesome. After all, it cost Trulli a certain podium and possible win in Monte Carlo!

In 2001 because were setting pre-season pace many people thought Jordan and not Williams would be Ferrari and Mclaren's closest challengers for the title. As we know Jordan got beat by Sauber and scored no podium finishes because of another 2000 like season. This wikipedia conclusion about Jordan's 2001 says it all

the EJ11 was potentially the fourth fastest car of the season, driven by renowned drivers with a great team behind them, yet the results never appeared. The EJ11 was a great qualifying car, and at nearly every Grand Prix at least one of the EJ11s was in the top six. However, in race trim the car lost its performance. It was also unreliable, with a run of five straight retirements for Trulli, most of which occurred at crucial moments. The team were often able to get the cars into the points, but a mechanical problem would cause the car to retire from the race. Had the car finished every race it started, it would almost certainly achieved some podium finishes. Instead the team settled for three fourths, four fifths and two sixths. Although 2001 was an improvement over the 2000 season, the results were still not good enough. Jordan only narrowly beat BAR, and were beaten by the much smaller, underfunded Sauber team. A total of 19 points were scored, two more than BAR but two less than Sauber. The EJ11 was fast enough to finish fourth in the constructors' championship, but constant problems, similar to those that occurred in the previous year, occurred again. Overall, the team underperformed.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

Also, I'd like to say that a better name for my own Tyrrell idea would be Tyrrell-ble.

Heh.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Having been a massive Jordan fan, I'd love to see an article that truly investigates where their slide into mediocrity really began. I'd write it myself, but having promised to write an article before and not having delivered I'd fear that this would be another addition to my back-burner. Plus, I've got quite a large amount of coursework that needs to be done at some point...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

Following on from the Jordan suggestion, I think similar articles for Lotus and Benetton would be equally interesting. They really were top teams, Lotus especially, and of course Benetton merely evolved into Renault/Enstone, (coincidentally now being called 'Lotus'), but comparing their 1995 season, their 1997 season, their 1999 season and then their 2001 season is simply horrifying. And Lotus' decline included Piquet Sr. DNQing with Honda turbos and rubber stamping Pacific GP's 1995 campaign. Ridiculous.

I'm trying to think of ideas revolving around rejects specifically, like the Footwork-Porsche one, but I can only think of falls from grace I'd like to see written instead.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Something I'd add to the Articles Intended To Be Written By People Who Are Capable Of It pile is one (or more) examining drivers who had suffered a horrifying slide into mediocrity or even outright rejectfulness after a period of success. The thought occurred to me that, though we've got a Centrale article examining what went wrong with Jacques Villeneuve, the same could well be done for René Arnoux. After all, he slid from winning with Renault and Ferrari to an ignominious spell as a backmarker with Ligier and repeatedly showed his displeasure via his driving. I was going to add Jean-Pierre Jarier to the list, but he never won a race and spent a fair few seasons with low scores and DNQs on the board before that 1983 nightmare.

I've just had a look in the Submitted Articles section; there's one on the decline of Brabham, and one from 2006 that said Williams were on the slide. Knowing now what we do, I reckon it might be time for an update to how Williams are worryingly mirroring Brabham's slide towards oblivion...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dinizintheoven wrote:Something I'd add to the Articles Intended To Be Written By People Who Are Capable Of It pile is one (or more) examining drivers who had suffered a horrifying slide into mediocrity or even outright rejectfulness after a period of success. The thought occurred to me that, though we've got a Centrale article examining what went wrong with Jacques Villeneuve, the same could well be done for René Arnoux. After all, he slid from winning with Renault and Ferrari to an ignominious spell as a backmarker with Ligier and repeatedly showed his displeasure via his driving. I was going to add Jean-Pierre Jarier to the list, but he never won a race and spent a fair few seasons with low scores and DNQs on the board before that 1983 nightmare.

I've just had a look in the Submitted Articles section; there's one on the decline of Brabham, and one from 2006 that said Williams were on the slide. Knowing now what we do, I reckon it might be time for an update to how Williams are worryingly mirroring Brabham's slide towards oblivion...

Arnoux's career slid off the rails the moment he got fired from Ferrari for arguing with the management as Ligier were no longer the force they were in the 1979-1981 period so it was probably inevitable he would slide to the middle of the pack
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

Maybe an Andrea de Crasheris evaluation? The Katayama one was very good.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Maybe next year a 'prediction' article about the new Russian influx of drivers, money, a GP2 team, plus the Sochi track and the prospects of Russia becoming a new factor at F1 power chess game wouldn't be that bad

Another interesting ideas (IMHO, I guess)

- Felipe Massa's magic 08 season and how the events ended up influencing him, Hamilton and Timo Glock's futures
- Why the amazing 70s-90s Italian drivers era couldn't succeed into Formula 1 (mostly focusing at Alboreto, Patrese, Minardi guys, Trulli, Fisico...)
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

Why the amazing 70s-90s Italian drivers era couldn't succeed into Formula 1 (mostly focusing at Alboreto, Patrese, Minardi guys, Trulli, Fisico...

Not sure in what ways these drivers (excluding Minardi guys) didn't succeed. None were world champions but all won races and drove for some of the top teams of their day.

I'd like to see a run-down of Damon's 1997 season with Arrows, of course culminating with that oh-so-near victory in Hungary. As a Damon fan that one still hurts.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Leyton House wrote:
Why the amazing 70s-90s Italian drivers era couldn't succeed into Formula 1 (mostly focusing at Alboreto, Patrese, Minardi guys, Trulli, Fisico...

Not sure in what ways these drivers (excluding Minardi guys) didn't succeed. None were world champions but all won races and drove for some of the top teams of their day.

Pretty sure he meant how they all failed to win world championships...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

What Salamander said
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

FantometteBR wrote:What Salamander said

Well, that was worth a 35-day bump.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

But, what does a salamander say?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Whatever it is, it ain't what a crazy frog says...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:Whatever it is, it ain't what a crazy frog says...

No Baker, NO! Everyone has tried their bloody hardest to forget about that awful creation and his awful song. :x

:P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:

No Baker, NO! Everyone has tried their bloody hardest to forget about that awful creation and his awful song. :x

Ring ding ding baa baa
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:

Vettel didn't (listen to his radio message for 2011 Spain).

shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Well, that was worth a 35-day bump.

If you're going to say something like that, then at least give a tired reference from 2013 rather than 2005.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:But, what does a salamander say?

If you're going to say something like that, then at least give a tired reference from 2013 rather than 2005.

But 2013 references are too obvious in 2013!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Bit of a bump.

Dinizintheoven and I were talking to Jamie about new ideas for podcast bits and articles when we met up on Thursday. Nothing was confirmed, it was just bit of a brainstorm.

One thing I didn't mention that I wish I had mentioned Bugatti's one off attempt at Formula 1 in the 1950s. For such an evocative pre-war name to fail so hard at F1 is a bit of a story and seeing there was only one race to actually write about, it wouldn't be too much work!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And another big bump, because this seemed the least inappropriate thread to put it on.

When considering new names for Reject profiles (as opposed to Centrale articles this time), what about... Alejandro de Tomaso? Two F1 entries, one finish, no points, a helping hand to Frank Williams Racing Cars in the rejectful pre-Patrick Head days, and the Italian supercar with the wrong soundtrack, as driven by Quentin Willson and shot by Elvis Presley.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

I would love an extensive feature on Prequalifying, the differences of how teams had to enter the series comparing the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the last twenty years. I love the focus on the 'reject teams' but would like to see teams that were almost rejects i.e. Scuderia Italia, Larrousse Lola, Leyton House (although I suppose they were technically March), maybe something on drivers who can qualify as reject material for the site but only do(e.g. Martin Donnelly, Johnny Cecotto, Riccardo Paletti, Tom Pryce ) because injuries/deaths ended their careers, when they would have likely unrejectified themselves at some point.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

gnrpoison wrote:I would love an extensive feature on Prequalifying, the differences of how teams had to enter the series comparing the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the last twenty years. I love the focus on the 'reject teams' but would like to see teams that were almost rejects i.e. Scuderia Italia, Larrousse Lola, Leyton House (although I suppose they were technically March), maybe something on drivers who can qualify as reject material for the site but only do(e.g. Martin Donnelly, Johnny Cecotto, Riccardo Paletti, Tom Pryce ) because injuries/deaths ended their careers, when they would have likely unrejectified themselves at some point.

Pryce isn't a reject, and not even close to being one. He scored two podiums in the Shadow, and a total of 19 points. He was a lot more successful than his teammate Jean-Pierre Jarier from 1974 to 1976. If he had not died in 1977, I think he would have become a very successful driver (although probably not as successful as in my alternate F1 series). Still, I agree that a reject centrale article about him would be interesting.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

pi314159 wrote:
gnrpoison wrote:I would love an extensive feature on Prequalifying, the differences of how teams had to enter the series comparing the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the last twenty years. I love the focus on the 'reject teams' but would like to see teams that were almost rejects i.e. Scuderia Italia, Larrousse Lola, Leyton House (although I suppose they were technically March), maybe something on drivers who can qualify as reject material for the site but only do(e.g. Martin Donnelly, Johnny Cecotto, Riccardo Paletti, Tom Pryce ) because injuries/deaths ended their careers, when they would have likely unrejectified themselves at some point.

Pryce isn't a reject, and not even close to being one. He scored two podiums in the Shadow, and a total of 19 points. He was a lot more successful than his teammate Jean-Pierre Jarier from 1974 to 1976. If he had not died in 1977, I think he would have become a very successful driver (although probably not as successful as in my alternate F1 series). Still, I agree that a reject centrale article about him would be interesting.

You are correct I misread his info on wiki, I misread points for podiums, I suppose I could add Roger Williamson and Jo Schlesser as their fates like Tom Pryce seemed horribly cruel even in the dangerous times of F1 at the time.