Reject of the Race India

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Alextrax52

Re: Reject of the Race India

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Alonso - Celebrated being the sports highest points scorer ever by, er, not scoring any points. Still, at least you can use the helmet again next weekend eh Fernando?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to this link, Alonso beat Schumi's record in Japan. I wonder what the 1578 was for.

It was 1571 which commemorates that Alonso is now the highest points scorer in F1
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:I wonder what the 1578 was for.

It was 1571 which commemorates that Alonso is now the highest points scorer in F1

Oops. I knew the 4-figure number was for Alonso's points tally but I thought it was 1578. Anyway, what an embarrassing race for him.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

ROTR for me goes to the FIAs fine and reprimand to Vettel: Its actions like that which are driving me away from F1, and in my opinion only gives more proof to Eytl's 'In search of Soul' article.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Collieafc wrote:ROTR for me goes to the FIAs fine and reprimand to Vettel: Its actions like that which are driving me away from F1, and in my opinion only gives more proof to Eytl's 'In search of Soul' article.

Ah yes the lack of passion route showed again didn't it. I think the last donuts action was Massa in Brazil 2011 before that was Webber in Abu Dhabi in 09 and Kimi in Spa 07. These of course are the Human Factor/Passion that you're talking about and yes it shows that Enoch is spot on with Soul article.

(BTW I give myself a nomination because only now have i discovered what EYTL stands for: Enoch Yan-Tak Law :oops:)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Ah yes the lack of passion route showed again didn't it. I think the last donuts action was Massa in Brazil 2011 before that was Webber in Abu Dhabi in 09 and Kimi in Spa 07.

I remember two of those and Jean Alesi did some in France in 2001. It doesn't happen very often so that is a potential reason for the FIA handing out the fine.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Ah yes the lack of passion route showed again didn't it. I think the last donuts action was Massa in Brazil 2011 before that was Webber in Abu Dhabi in 09 and Kimi in Spa 07.

I remember two of those and Jean Alesi did some in France in 2001. It doesn't happen very often so that is a potential reason for the FIA handing out the fine.

I thought it was Monaco he did that and then got stuck in between the space at Rascasse
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I thought it was Monaco he did that and then got stuck in between the space at Rascasse

You're right, he did! :lol: In fact, I've just realised Alesi did donuts 3 times in 2001, in Monaco when he got that first point, again in Canada after coming 5th (he then threw his helmet into the grandstands after that!) and in France for the crowd after finishing 12th. How many fines did he get for that? My guess: 0.

Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Kimi for suddenly losing his nerves for no apparent reason. I mean, it was a real long shot from the 1st stint onward where he did very poorly but by the time he met GRO on the track it was already lost...

Stewards or FIA for fining Vettel.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Man I don't know what to think. This is harder than I thought.

Honorable Mentions:

New Delhi Pollution. At least it didn't affect the race. Not significantly. But I can still see smog there.
Adrian Newey. It's not the Renault alternator. It's the way he compacts all the parts so close together that causes the problem. As a result, overheating issues are always there.
TV directors/ TV camera angles. That was an apathetic attempt at proper coverage of an F1 race.
Williams. Another pit incident gets another €60,000 out of their bank account.
DRS. What was that? The same as Spa. At least the DRS zone needed to be lengthened for this farce to happen.

Now for the top 3.

3. Strategists. Grosjean screwed to P17 on the grid. Sutil's strategists deserving to be sent to Marussia and performing their heroics there where they can get away with it. They did no one any favors.

2. The whole field bar the top 5. Yes, maybe some of the guys I mention didn't do anything wrong, but those who didn't do anything wrong were still anonymous. So after all, this sums up the situation in F1 with its drivers as for quality driving. Räikkönen and Alonso chumpions. Gutiérrez weaving everywhere, and a jump start. Those are the notable ones. So more or less, another Canada 2007.

1. FIA Stewards. I don't like this. I don't like this at all. I don't think Vettel needed to give an "explanation." It was obvious. He was celebrating his equalling 3rd best on the all time world championship winning list. And yet the FIA lacks the competence to even see with magnifying lenses that all their regulations are doing are making the drivers boring PR tools and making them not show any signs of personality that once made this sport so great? I start to think Kimi gets away with it because he's Kimi. Or Alonso taking the Spanish flag when he wins in Spain? I'm sorry, I don't see your consistency, and this is a stupid penalty that is the result of an action that is not penalized in NASCAR, which is already more unprofessional than a lot of other motorsports? This is by far the clear winner, and I can explain in much much more detail. But I won't.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

The FIA stewards: I don't like Vettel, but him doing donuts was epic.
Giedo van de Garde: Tried to defend a position that he had already lost, and then blamed Chiton for the crash. Idiot.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Those whining that F1 is becoming 'soulless' whenever a driver is punished for breaking a basic rule: Vettel was NOT fined for doing donuts on the front straight.

Instead, Red Bull were fined because their car was abandoned on the pit straight after Vettel's celebrations, and Vettel was reprimanded for the same reason. The rules state that the winner's car must be returned to parc ferme after the race; this is a fairly basic rule, put in place to ensure that the vehicle still complies with the technical regulations (as far as the FIA is aware) and that teams are not resorting to underhanded means to meet the regulations, such as the classic 'weighbridge wing' gambit of Tyrrell's early years.

This is what happens when professionalism becomes a priority in sport: things such as 'basic driver safety' and 'adherence to regulations' become emphasised over 'showmanship to please the misty-eyed masses'.

This is not to go against Enoch's main argument in 'In Search of Soul'; I agree that there is much to be said about the actual venues that play host to races, and the hideous amounts of money that are thrown away in the construction, promotion and accommodation of such places, but this is an entirely different issue. The drivers are not punished for being interesting; they are 'punished' limply for breaking long-established, entirely basic rules while being (or attempting to be) interesting.

Perhaps this incident, and those previous, call for a 'Celebration Clause' or similar, whereby drivers can break apparently silly little rules like this so that the people who complain about it being boring can be happy; a clause that would be about as possible to word and enforce effectively as a rule to ban team orders.

Personally, I fail to see the issue with the current system: Red Bull are given a fine too small for them to possibly care about it, Vettel gets to keep his result, the FIA get to enforce their rules, and, most importantly (you would think), the celebration still occured and was not actually stopped in any way, shape or form.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I'm going for the TV coverage. It's been much better of late than it was in the 90s and early 2000s (I still remember the locally-appointed TV directors lazily following the leader around the track the whole race, especially those with some partisan reason); but this time out we seemed to miss a lot of action, and the lengthy replay of the start between laps 3 and 6 was just silly. Why are they doing that now?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Not fair to blame the stewards, they don't write the rules they only apply them. Blame must be attributed to the rules themselves.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

For lack of a better candidate, I'm going to vote for the smog as ROTR.

Shortened the practice session (never heard of that happening due to smog before) and was clearly visible on the TV feed. I kept haven't to remind myself during the race that it was smog rather than rainclouds. It was really obvious with the Red Bulls on screen, the yellow colour on the end of the nosecones just looked weird.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

EVERYONE on this forum, who said, this race is going to be dull!

And the likes of Coulthard and others on Twitter whining about the reprimand for Vettel: Rules are rules!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Official decision time, and this one wasn't easy because there weren't really any stand-out choices.

Caterham were certainly up there with their double-DNF, and whilst Giedo van der Garde's character reference for Max Chilton was amusing, I think he just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Alonso was worthy of a nomination for his limp race, but I'm guessing that much of that had to do with some form of steering damage after his two first lap collisions. And the New Delhi smog returned with a vengeance, but having given ROTR to the smog last year I needed to come up with something else in 2013.

In the end I've settled for Kimi Raikkonen for his late-race antics. The decision to gamble and try to hang on with his one set of mediums was admirable, but once the game was up his pointless attempt to defend against Grosjean was silly, and the radio message afterwards was petulant. Actually it was more grumpy-old-man territory than spoilt brat but it just adds to the impression that over the last few races, once the championship fight was over and he'd signed for Ferrari next year, his care factor seems to have dropped.