The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Meatwad

Re: Michael Schumacher skiing accident

Post by Meatwad »

Hoping for the best driver of all time to recover. :(
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Murray Walker's thoughts on this tragedy http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25554726

I reckon that wherever departed souls end up after they pass, Prof. Sid Watkins, Ayrton Senna, and many others are there willing Schumi on to overcome this because it is far too soon for him to join them.

And I am willing him on to overcome this, because it is far too soon for him to join them. 2014 will become the biggest test of his life, but I know he can pass it.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Haven't gotten any updates recently, but I suppose no news is good news. Get well soon Michael! I hope he makes a swift recovery, and prayers out to him and his family.

mario wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
This wrote:To get something good out of this terrible news: people will be more aware about safety when such a famous person is involved. People will remember that he survived because of his helmet. (and he is going to survive. I'm just worried that he will never be the same again, though)

Hopefully people will understand the dangers of skiing and take your advice. But many, many people still didn't bother after the tragic death of Liam Neeson's wife a few years back from exactly the same type of accident that has befallen Schumi. Difference was, she wasn't wearing a helmet.

As you say, even though it seems that events have taken a turn for the worse since the initial reports (though hopefully his condition is stabilising), we can at least take solace that, as LellaLombardi pointed out, that Schumacher's accident does seem to have encouraged other skiers to take greater precautions by wearing helmets when they might have otherwise not done so.

I crashed while I was skiing a couple years ago and my helmet cracked in half when I hit the ground. Luckily, I didn't have any major injuries and I was able to go to school in the next two days. However, I will never go skiing or biking without a helmet ever again.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Half 7 in the morning here in the UK and SkySports News are reporting that Schumacher is still in a 'critical' condition and is still very much fighting for his life. No change to yesterday so it's still fingers-crossed time. I still can't believe it really.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Dammit. While I was never the biggest fan of Schumacher, one might even say I even hated him when he raced... I would never wish such a fate for anyone. Here's hoping that he makes a full recovery. Losing him would be a major blow to the world of F1, retired or not. :(
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Press conference on now says he is improving. :P Obvs a long, long way to go but good news.

Edit: they have added that the blood clot was really big in the morning but improved significantly through the day. So it sounds like he is fighting back.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Looking better by the hour. I was confident of a positive outcome, but sometimes the media make you doubt because they like to put everything so dramatically.

As has been already said, the cause of wearing helmets for self-protection will get a terrific boost if Schumi manages to get back to a normal life. It may very well be that, by using the helmet, he will save not only his own life, but an incalculable number of lives. For all the success he's had, that could be his biggest achievement yet.

You have to make it, dude.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:Press conference on now says he is improving. :P Obvs a long, long way to go but good news.

Yep, its looking much more positive and although he's not out of the woods yet, and no ones mentioned the possibility of brain damage either, it does look like his life isnt in danger so much now. Aaaaaaand, breathe out.
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

CoopsII wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:Press conference on now says he is improving. :P Obvs a long, long way to go but good news.

Yep, its looking much more positive and although he's not out of the woods yet, and no ones mentioned the possibility of brain damage either, it does look like his life isnt in danger so much now. Aaaaaaand, breathe out.

Brain damage of some sort is a near certainty sadly. It's just the extent of it that he may be more fortunate on. Richard Hammond for example made as good a recovery as can be expected, but he still has some memory problems, and James Cracknell is having ongoing problems. Let's just hope Schumi's outcome isn't too life changing.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Tuesday press conference via Gary Hartstein again.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... ce-take-1/

Still cause for concern by the sound of it, but some improvements over Monday.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I had a look in the newsagents and the daily star claimed Michael won't survive.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I had a look in the newsagents and the daily star claimed Michael won't survive.

:lol: That should put everybody's mind at rest then.
Just For One Day...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

CoopsII wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I had a look in the newsagents and the daily star claimed Michael won't survive.

My mistake. It said may not survive. Still doesn't make it easy though
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good old British gutter press. I wonder what The Scum and the Daily Fail are reporting. :roll:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

The height credible, non-sensationalist journalism right there... :roll:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:

Good old British gutter press. I wonder what The Scum and the Daily Fail are reporting. :roll:

The Mail were already pissed at him for working here for one weekend a year and paying no taxes, plus they took a dim view in advance at the possibility of Corinna being a single Mum, but they were pleased because the area where he had his accident was very white.
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

CoopsII wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

The Mail were already pissed at him for working here for one weekend a year and paying no taxes, plus they took a dim view in advance at the possibility of Corinna being a single Mum, but they were pleased because the area where he had his accident was very white.

:lol: That is great.

Yesterday I had a feeling he was going to make it in spite of everything suggesting otherwise. Today that feels stronger again. I don't know about others but I just cannot see that this is his time to go yet.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Within 24 hours of the accident, I read that Schumacher was "due to turn 45 on the 3rd January." Since then, I read that he "will turn 45." THose one or two words make all the difference in perception...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:Within 24 hours of the accident, I read that Schumacher was "due to turn 45 on the 3rd January." Since then, I read that he "will turn 45." THose one or two words make all the difference in perception...

I should have been born on the 3rd of January but I wasn't
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Within 24 hours of the accident, I read that Schumacher was "due to turn 45 on the 3rd January." Since then, I read that he "will turn 45." THose one or two words make all the difference in perception...

Thanks for that.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I should have been born on the 3rd of January but I wasn't

Just think, you could have been Michael Schumacher.
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The Daily Star? Really?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:

The Daily Star? Really?

My eyes didn't deceive me. It was definitely the Daily Star
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

The Daily Star? Really?

Here's a tip. Don't take anything that newspaper says seriously.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

CoopsII wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I should have been born on the 3rd of January but I wasn't

Just think, you could have been Michael Schumacher.

Well, I could have been Sebastien Buemi, but I'm fine with Felipe Nasr.

FullMetalJack wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Image

The Daily Star? Really?

Here's a tip. Don't take anything that newspaper says seriously.

I don't take any of my local news sources seriously. In fact, there are only 3 news sources that I trust for quality news. When one of them is only motorsport related and the other is British, you know how messed up the media is in the US, especially when most US news sources are only jibber jabber about the recent political uproar. And around the world, I've never found the media very trustworthy.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

CoopsII wrote:

As they're wrong so often that it's more likely we will see another comeback into racing of some form by the end of 2014. :lol: Tabloids do that just to sell copies.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Imagine how different history would be!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The tabloids in Britain are pretty terrible, only the broadsheets are good and then who have to shell out for them and lug them around with you. I do however recommend the "i" newspaper, which is The Independent's attempt at a tabloid.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
mario

Post by mario »

watka wrote:The tabloids in Britain are pretty terrible, only the broadsheets are good and then who have to shell out for them and lug them around with you. I do however recommend the "i" newspaper, which is The Independent's attempt at a tabloid.

There is a disconcerting news story that one journalist was attempting to break into the room where Schumacher is being treated by disguising themselves as a priest - although the journalist and their organisation is not named, I would not be that surprised if it was a British tabloid that tried that trick. http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/140665.html
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I try to ignore most british newspapers because they are the worst in the world. And since quite a few people involved in the press are on trial....

My thoughts for Michael Schumacher and his Family for the new year not the start they would have wanted.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

mario wrote:
watka wrote:The tabloids in Britain are pretty terrible, only the broadsheets are good and then who have to shell out for them and lug them around with you. I do however recommend the "i" newspaper, which is The Independent's attempt at a tabloid.

There is a disconcerting news story that one journalist was attempting to break into the room where Schumacher is being treated by disguising themselves as a priest - although the journalist and their organisation is not named, I would not be that surprised if it was a British tabloid that tried that trick. http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/140665.html

Sounds like a British tabloid would do that. Just to claim Schumie was near death.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
mario wrote:

Sounds like a British tabloid would do that. Just to claim Schumie was near death.

The "I" is the only British tabloid that is 1. Trustworthy. And 2. Actually tells you the news. It is also very cheap as well. :D
I still do a paper round every morning and today is no exception
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

What I will say in the defence of the Mirror however is that their coverage of this story has been among the best, with regular updates.

Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Kehm's press conference is pretty vague, but it suggests things are continuing to head in the right direction.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

LellaLombardi wrote:What I will say in the defence of the Mirror however is that their coverage of this story has been among the best, with regular updates.

Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Not only that, but some of the photos show him skiing without a helmet. I can understand him being on holiday before the Schumacher accident, but he could have picked a more appropriate time to share them, surely? :roll:

BBC reporting "stable but critical condition"
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

:roll: "My name is Lewis Hamilton. I am an idiot"
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

LellaLombardi wrote:Also Lewis Hamilton has posted some very smug pictures of himself on his ski holiday. This man should not be allowed anywhere near social media.

Your first problem is that you're expecting Lewis Hamilton to act like a classy, dignified individual, when in actuality, he has less class than Kyle Busch or any of the hicks that you'll find in NASCAR... except Michael Waltrip. Michael Waltrip exploited a school shooting to get a Daytona 500 ride.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Cynon wrote:

Your first problem is that you're expecting Lewis Hamilton to act like a classy, dignified individual, when in actuality, he has less class than Kyle Busch or any of the hicks that you'll find in NASCAR... except Michael Waltrip. Michael Waltrip exploited a school shooting to get a Daytona 500 ride.

What did he do?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:The "I" is the only British tabloid that is 1. Trustworthy. And 2. Actually tells you the news. It is also very cheap as well. :D

What about The Times?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:The "I" is the only British tabloid that is 1. Trustworthy. And 2. Actually tells you the news. It is also very cheap as well. :D

The "i" is just a condensed version of the Independent, which is the only newspaper I will ever buy.

Although the word "tabloid" has a somewhat negative connotation, it's important to remember that it refers to the size of the the newspaper. Besides, The Times and The Indie used to be broadsheets before going for a more compact size, presumably because broadsheets are an absolute nightmare to read in public.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Put me down as another reader of the "i". I usually buy that and The Times, even though the latter is a Murdoch paper (although it's not too bad). If I'm ever strapped for cash, I just go to the railway station and pick up the Metro. And when I'm in London, Evening Standard it is. :P