2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
RonDenisDeletraz

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I heard the rumours about Kobayashi returning to F1 with Caterham and I thought that was bathplug all chance of it actually happening. I have never been so happy to be proven wrong.

AHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAA :D :D :D
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Benetton wrote:Really nice that out of 22 drivers four are from the Nordic countries!

Scandinavia Mania? Or would we need a Norwegian driver and an Icelandic driver for that to work?

Almost makes me wonder if Scandinavia and the World will have a piece on this, but I doubt that.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Cynon wrote:
Benetton wrote:Really nice that out of 22 drivers four are from the Nordic countries!

Scandinavia Mania? Or would we need a Norwegian driver and an Icelandic driver for that to work?

Almost makes me wonder if Scandinavia and the World will have a piece on this, but I doubt that.

Iceland isn't in Scandinavia....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Cynon wrote:

DLTFGITWOAGS, UgncreativeUsergname.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
-*:-
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Cynon wrote:

Actually, if i remember correctly,, Finland isn't really Scandinavia either, Finland is one of the 'Baltic countries'. Scandinavia rather refers to the 'Viking' countries (Denmark, Norway and Sweden). Iceland is a former Scandinavian colony, but Greenland and Faroer are still parts of the kingdom of Denmark. And what would be cooler than a driver from Greenland?
Then of course, the vikings have conquered nearly everything on the Atlantic coast in Europe, and along the Dnjepr-river and the Black Sea, up towards Canada.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

This wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Actually, if i remember correctly,, Finland isn't really Scandinavia either, Finland is one of the 'Baltic countries'. Scandinavia rather refers to the 'Viking' countries (Denmark, Norway and Sweden). Iceland is a former Scandinavian colony, but Greenland and Faroer are still parts of the kingdom of Denmark. And what would be cooler than a driver from Greenland?
Then of course, the vikings have conquered nearly everything on the Atlantic coast in Europe, and along the Dnjepr-river and the Black Sea, up towards Canada.

All this talk makes me think of a dialogue in the movie The Mighty Ducks:

[Bombay is eating ice cream with the Iceland trainer]
Coach Bombay: I thought Iceland was covered with ice.
Maria: No, it's very green!
Coach Bombay: I thought GREENLAND was green!
Maria: Greenland is covered with ice, and Iceland is very nice!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Finland isn't a Baltic country, that's just Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

This wrote:
Cynon wrote:Scandinavia Mania? Or would we need a Norwegian driver and an Icelandic driver for that to work?

Speaking of SATW, here's the webcomic that explains how it works in the north.
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

AdrianSutil wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Glad to see Caterham pick two drivers deserving of F1 seats, even if it was still financially motivated. Sure, Ericsson came 6th in GP2, but it was quite close and I heard he had way worse luck than most.

6th in GP2.

6th.

If you think coming 6th is deserving of a seat, then why dont Leimer, Bird, Calado, Nasr or Colleto have seats.
Its all to do with Money.
I mean I can even see Johnny Ceccoto Jnr getting an F1 seat.......
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

About the whole scandinavian/nordic/baltic thing - Iceland is definitely Nordic, but can also be considered Scandinavian, although it is geographically far away it has the same culture as Sweden and Norway and used to be a part of Norway for a long time. Finland is usually considered Scandinavian, having been part of Sweden for a long time (They have Swedish as their second language although they actually have about 10% of swedes actually living there). Although the Estonians are almost the same as Finns they are not part of the Nordic group because they have their cultural and historical links with Germany an Russia and are considered Baltic although Latvia and Lithuania are of a completely different linguistic/ethnical group but as the history is similar so are the cultures.

About the Viking thing, that hardly matters any more... The original Vikings came from DEN/SWE/NOR but spread their culture far and wide - From greenland to Kiev (Currently Ukraine) but little remains of that...

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Dare I suggest it's time for a 2014 launch thread?

I might start one and move the posts about the Force India into there.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

eytl wrote:Dare I suggest it's time for a 2014 launch thread?

I might start one and move the posts about the Force India into there.

If anyone was to suggest it, Id say you were able too.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Roll on 2015 silly season, say I.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Rusujuur wrote:Image

Estonia wrote:Can Eesti into...

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Åland, Bornholm, the Faroes, Svalbard and - for good measure - Orkney and Shetland as well wrote:MAKE OF THE PLUGBATHINGS OFF, ESTONIA!

Robert Kubica can into WRC, but cannot into space. At least, not unless there's a fearsome jump somewhere in the next rally and his accelerator gets stuck. I won't mention the next word, except to say that it can also be followed by Grande, Parabolica, di Lesmo...

As for a proper Nordic challenge... has there ever been a Faroese racing driver, of any description? I'd have thought powerboat racing would be more practical there.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:As for a proper Nordic challenge... has there ever been a Faroese racing driver, of any description? I'd have thought powerboat racing would be more practical there.

I wouldn't have thought so, but if someone has managed to make it...then Faroe 'nuff.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Ataxia wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:As for a proper Nordic challenge... has there ever been a Faroese racing driver, of any description? I'd have thought powerboat racing would be more practical there.

I wouldn't have thought so, but if someone has managed to make it...then Faroe 'nuff.

Haha id say there would be drivers from the Faroes. I mean what else is there to do there? Just proberly havnt gone into any sort of meaningful competitions.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Absolutely not related to the thread or the post, but I saw this...

Ataxia wrote:F1Rejects' resident whinger, tea enthusiast and John Frusciante fan.

My record is 23 mugs in one day. In the words of Tony Fernando: TEA POWER!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

dinizintheoven wrote:Absolutely not related to the thread or the post, but I saw this...

Ataxia wrote:F1Rejects' resident whinger, tea enthusiast and John Frusciante fan.

Besides I thought I was the one with a reputation for whinging around here. I want my crown back :P
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

dinizintheoven wrote:Absolutely not related to the thread or the post, but I saw this...

I myself have a reputation of drinking a lot of tea in a day. Also, the same can be said of me drinking hot chocolate in the summer :?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I accept your challange and I will see how many mugs I can drink in a day at th weekend.
Did you want me to put an avatar on the line for the challange as well. ;)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote: Also, the same can be said of me drinking hot chocolate in the summer :?

Do you also wear your clothes inside-out?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

roblomas52 wrote:

I accept your challange and I will see how many mugs I can drink in a day at th weekend.

There better be video of it so we can verify this :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wizzie wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

There better be video of it so we can verify this :lol:

There will be photos to prove it. With a screengrab of the time as well.
Edit:
Just worked out that I will have to average a mug every 25 mins to compensate for my 55 minute paper round :P
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

roblomas52 wrote: Edit:
Just worked out that I will have to average a mug every 25 mins to compensate for my 55 minute paper round :P

Thermos
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

So, the Caterham announcements bring the 2014 silly season to a close. While the 2013 silly season went all the way up to March, this one has ended in the third week of January. Fascinating stuff.

The thread began back in mid-2012, when Ross Prawn (no, you heard right) began saying about Vettel's impending move to Ferrari. Although that didn't happen, the 2014 silly season was by no means dull. In fact, there was a period from June to September this year that saw everybody being linked with everybody.

In the end, Kimi decided he wanted to be paid, Lotus decided they wanted to give a cash-laden driver a chance to mature and show his speed (they say they've done that with Romain, although he isn't cash-laden :? ). Webber decided he'd had enough, Red Bull decided to go in-house, and promote a driver with an acute upward trajectory, forgetting there had been another guy like that in 2012-end, and is now in DTM (though I'm happy Kvyat is in F1 :D ). Caterham decided they would go hell for leather, bringing back Banzai and a GP2 graduate. Marussia went the opposite way, keeping status quo. Sauber decided to get boring after being interesting for a decade, Force India got the best deal with two talents and quite a bit of money. And McLaren decided they needed another Hamilton (whether it works out like that is to be seen).

Interestingly, our good friend backmarker predicted back in 2012 that Toro Rosso would take Kvyat. Given that Kvyat was in FR2.0 then, it was a bold prediction at the time. Is Kvyat hand in glove with Alex Wurz? :lol:

There were a few arguments in the thread, notably involving someone whom I will not name, but in the end it was a nice fun thread which we all contributed to.

Here's to the silliest silly season of them all!

P.S. Oh, and we beat F1Fanatic's corresponding silly season thread in the number of pages, 58 to 57! Hooray! :P
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

wsrgo wrote:(they say they've done that with Romain, although he isn't cash-laden :? ).

Well, do you think TOTAL is paying millions of cash to Lotus just for fun? TOTAL is actually a personal sponsor of Grosjean. So no Grosjean in the cockpit means no Total sponsorship to Lotus...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Zetec wrote:
wsrgo wrote:(they say they've done that with Romain, although he isn't cash-laden :? ).

Well, do you think TOTAL is paying millions of cash to Lotus just for fun? TOTAL is actually a personal sponsor of Grosjean. So no Grosjean in the cockpit means no Total sponsorship to Lotus...

Wherever do you get that?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

wsrgo wrote:Interestingly, our good friend backmarker predicted back in 2012 that Toro Rosso would take Kvyat. Given that Kvyat was in FR2.0 then, it was a bold prediction at the time. Is Kvyat hand in glove with Alex Wurz? :lol:

I also predicted Ricciardo to Red Bull, and got pretty much everything else wrong!
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Double points for Abu Dhabi, F1 fans collectively grown: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321

I thought that the teams were pretty much united against this? Seems that they all had severe brain-fade or had other places to be and couldn't be bothered to talk about it.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

watka wrote:Double points for Abu Dhabi, F1 fans collectively grown: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321

I thought that the teams were pretty much united against this? Seems that they all had severe brain-fade or had other places to be and couldn't be bothered to talk about it.

Still better than whatever hair-brained crap NASCAR splooged out for its championship format. This is nothing.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

I'm not sure why we are discussing Abu Double in the silly season thread. Yes, it's silly, but it doesn't really concern the driver market. We generally correlate the silly season with the driver market.

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

wsrgo wrote:P.S. Oh, and we beat F1Fanatic's corresponding silly season thread in the number of pages, 58 to 57! Hooray! :P

Don't forget that it being F1F, that'll be 57 pages of heavily moderated idiocy, compared to actual humour and intelligence.

wsrgo wrote:So, the Caterham announcements bring the 2014 silly season to a close. While the 2013 silly season went all the way up to March, this one has ended in the third week of January. Fascinating stuff.

But in all seriousness, maybe silly season finished sooner this year because the 2013 was such a write off, both in terms of the championship, and being the actual end of the current regulations? Virtually every 2013 F1 report seems to end referring to the 'giant shake up next year' etc etc, and most of last year was spent looking forward, and I suppose the teams have had a stronger incentive to really get their act's together and hit the ground running.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
mario

Post by mario »

SgtPepper wrote:
wsrgo wrote:So, the Caterham announcements bring the 2014 silly season to a close. While the 2013 silly season went all the way up to March, this one has ended in the third week of January. Fascinating stuff.

But in all seriousness, maybe silly season finished sooner this year because the 2013 was such a write off, both in terms of the championship, and being the actual end of the current regulations? Virtually every 2013 F1 report seems to end referring to the 'giant shake up next year' etc etc, and most of last year was spent looking forward, and I suppose the teams have had a stronger incentive to really get their act's together and hit the ground running.

It's true that most teams would probably want to finalise their preparations for 2014 earlier than normal due to the larger change in the regulations. One aspect that has been brought up is the issue of the minimum weight of the car, with driver weight more of an issue due to the rising weight of the drivetrains - getting your driver line up finalised early on gives you a better idea of how much, or how little, ballast you will have to play with and where you might be able to start making small gains in terms of chassis design.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

wsrgo wrote:I'm not sure why we are discussing Abu Double in the silly season thread. Yes, it's silly, but it doesn't really concern the driver market. We generally correlate the silly season with the driver market.

This time I did use the search bar and this is the thread with the most previous mentions to the double points rule so go figure. :ugeek:

Ha, ha, go FIGURE. And we're talking about NUMBERS. Funny, eh? *grabs coat*
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Completely understandable, and this makes Button's 2015 McLaren seat a little shaky already, unless McLaren can strike a deal with Force India.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Final nail in the 2014 Silly Season: Eric Boullier joins McLaren as a new team principal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112254

Thread-ending event as I ever saw one. :lol:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

What the hell is going on?
But wait, there's more! Juncadella is Force India's reserve driver. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112253

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ferrim wrote:Final nail in the 2014 Silly Season: Eric Boullier joins McLaren as a new team principal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112254

Thread-ending event as I ever saw one. :lol:

That seems to me like another nail in Lotus coffin, unfortunately.

As from the McLaren perspective, I can see why they went for him. Boullier has been doing a great job in a shorter than rival teams budget. So they most likely went with picturing what he could do having access to proper resources.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Lopez as Team Principal? Although its sad for a team once on the verge of greatness I expect a wholly Rejectful year with that inexperienced loon in charge :lol:
Just For One Day...