2014 launch thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
andrew2209

Re: 2014 launch thread

Post by andrew2209 »

Martini at Williams? I'm pleased with that, I've always thought that he deserves a faster car, and his career at Minardi has stalled.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

New lid for Mr. Rosberg:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:The Williams doesn't look too ugly, but it doesn't look that quick either, even if I think Williams will be winners this year and the livery in the picture is for pre-season testing. And my reaction to Martini possibly sponsoring the team? Not a bad choice (Ferrari were sponsored by it around 2007-8).

Well, bear in mind that these are just conceptual renders from Williams at the moment, so they are probably leaving out a fair amount of the finer details on their car (although there are a few interesting details around the front wing supports and additional cooling gills around the airbox area).
It is probably the case that the teams will start out with simpler cars than we are perhaps used to seeing in recent years due to the changes in the aero regulations and revised cooling requirements, but a reasonable amount of development between pre-season tests as teams hone their designs.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:The Williams doesn't look too ugly, but it doesn't look that quick either, even if I think Williams will be winners this year and the livery in the picture is for pre-season testing. And my reaction to Martini possibly sponsoring the team? Not a bad choice (Ferrari were sponsored by it around 2007-8).

Well, bear in mind that these are just conceptual renders from Williams at the moment, so they are probably leaving out a fair amount of the finer details on their car (although there are a few interesting details around the front wing supports and additional cooling gills around the airbox area).
It is probably the case that the teams will start out with simpler cars than we are perhaps used to seeing in recent years due to the changes in the aero regulations and revised cooling requirements, but a reasonable amount of development between pre-season tests as teams hone their designs.

It's going to be like 2009 all over again really, though the aerodynamics won't be as primitive as they were then, but they'll still be fairly simple. Remember those flat unsculpted front wings and endplates?

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

It's a shame the F1 cars will not look like this artists rendering this season. :(

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

roblomas52 wrote:It's a shame the F1 cars will not look like this artists rendering this season. :(

That would require a much bigger engine.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

So, which team is going to build a nose for a car that looks most like the Footwork Porsche? I hope someone does!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:
mario wrote:

It's going to be like 2009 all over again really, though the aerodynamics won't be as primitive as they were then, but they'll still be fairly simple. Remember those flat unsculpted front wings and endplates?

I actually quite liked all those chunky, blocky cars. Each team's car was individually distinctive that year.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:
DanielPT wrote:In other news, Formula 1 cars to become a phallic symbol.

I actually like that little anteater snout. I'm a terrible person aren't I?

No, you're perhaps like me in that you don't see what the big deal is.
Just For One Day...
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

roblomas52 wrote:It's a shame the F1 cars will not look like this artists rendering this season. :(

Not only bigger engines but aslo slightly different rules. I have a strong feeling they will update the aero rules by next season to do away with the ugly noses. How that will play out is yet to be seen but there have been som many negative comments this pre-season from both technical and driver sources that they are probably already working on a solution.

I really liked the cars from about 1990-2000 before they had all those bits added for extra aero. Was it Tyrell who started itwith their periscopes?. So I am quite fond of the layout since the aero shenanigans were banned but the nose issue has obviously been wierd. I mean, they could have come up with rules that would have mandated a Brawn nose rather easily. Some of the rendering pundits immediately saw the stepped nose and the "ding-dong", why not ask them for some advice?
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

I liked the step noses. I didnt see them as particularly ugly. I dont feel quite as supportive of the new noses, but its something we will just get used too.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Ataxia wrote:New lid for Mr. Rosberg:

So Rosberg has chosen to use Roman Numerals for the new rule of having your number on your helmet.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dear god almighty...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good word. I know I said I wouldn't care what the cars look like, but bloody hell that's awful. Just make the nose join the front wing ala the early 1990s cars and this thing wouldn't be a monstrosity.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Hmmm, no lead sponsor reveal yet then. They are getting closer to run this car in orange, but that colour won't help its look much.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Lotus's car looks beautiful, despite them still sticking with the horrible red sections.

https://twitter.com/Lotus_F1Team/status ... 64/photo/1

Will be interesting to see if the double snout actually works though.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Holy bathplug, that Lotus. :o
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I Think it looks great.
However I thought last years caterham looked great and that can mean nothing these days
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

AustralianStig wrote:Lotus's car looks beautiful, despite them still sticking with the horrible red sections.

Total probably required them to keep red. And it fits with Maldonado's PDVSA sponsorship, so that was pretty much expected to stay.
I don't understand why they put Genii's website under the logo, for me it's not that usual to see that kind of advertising. (Also, Yota Phone?)
The nose looks interesting, but I'd like to see it from the front though.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

That is one very ugly car (the McLaren)...

Also, despite being small, that will still strike fear in the car just in front of it. Suddenly being rear ended in F1 got a lot nastier.

As for the Lotus, I quite like it. Although I am not sure if it is fast...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I don't know if it's because of the color or what, but I quite like it. The nose has something that forces me to keep looking at it... it's different, and it doesn't have any "jumps".

Compare with the Lotus, now that's weird.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AustralianStig wrote:Lotus's car looks beautiful, despite them still sticking with the horrible red sections.

It's not that bad, actually. It just looks plain weird.

What worries me more though is the distinct lack of PDVSA logos, despite Maldonado paying through the nose for the seat...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Wizzie wrote:

It's not that bad, actually. It just looks plain weird.

What worries me more though is the distinct lack of PDVSA logos, despite Maldonado paying through the nose for the seat...

Perhaps it works the other way round and PDVSA's millions can only buy that much on the car. Lotus PR department could be that good!
Message me on Discord.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

OK, obviously my sense of taste is different from most of you.

Whereas I didn't like the Force India livery and most of you did, I think the McLaren nose, whilst phallic ... um, I mean, anteater-like ... is OK given how it's sculpted into the front-wing mounts. What's far more disturbing is the continuation of a silver livery. Not only haven't they announced a title sponsor (they already said a few days ago that they wouldn't be), but I get a feeling they'll be making do without one this year. They were talking about how their existing partners had already stumped up enough such that their 2014 budget is bigger than last year's. So why not have a season in traditional McLaren orange, and launch the car likewise? That chrome job gets a 1/10 from me.

As for the Lotus nose, either it's the return of the walrus or they've been inspired by tuning forks ... like the livery though ...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

eytl wrote:So why not have a season in traditional McLaren orange, and launch the car likewise?

That'd be sensible without a title sponsor. I hope they'll go for it.

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

By the way, now I'm wondering how on Earth will we differenciate between the Mercedes and the McLaren? Without the red element, the McLaren will look just the same.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:As for the Lotus, I quite like it. Although I am not sure if it will complete the season...

Fixed.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ferrim wrote:By the way, now I'm wondering how on Earth will we differenciate between the Mercedes and the McLaren? Without the red element, the McLaren will look just the same.

The Mercedes will be the ones up the front and the McLarens will be at the back battling for 17th.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

That Lotus is hellishly pretty...my word. I hope it's quick...

As for that McLaren, it's probably my least favourite of the reveals so far. The livery looks bare, and the nose is the most penisy of the lot. Blimey.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Which team will be first to launch an antianteater?
Antianteaterwinslol?
-*:-
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Shizuka wrote:
eytl wrote:So why not have a season in traditional McLaren orange, and launch the car likewise?

That'd be sensible without a title sponsor. I hope they'll go for it.

Looking at the McLaren team gear merchandise for 2014, I think they're sticking with the white and grey - going back to Ron Dennis' favourite colours indeed ...

Boo hiss ... :x
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

eytl wrote:So why not have a season in traditional McLaren orange, and launch the car likewise? That chrome job gets a 1/10 from me.

Ron Dennis only operates in Greyscale.

Totally agree though. That being said, at least we appear to be getting more vibrant liveries than last year so far
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

eytl wrote:Looking at the McLaren team gear merchandise for 2014, I think they're sticking with the white and grey - going back to Ron Dennis' favourite colours indeed ...

Bathplug. :x

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I like the colours of the McLaren, to be honest... but not the nose. :? But as I've read, the fastest cars are often the ugliest... case and point with the Ferrari in 2012 :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I've just realised what makes the McLaren proboscis look acceptable in my eyes. From front on, if you follow the line of the front section from the cockpit forwards, it is naturally tapering so that it would have ended up in the narrow front tip anyway. It's just that, before you get the front tip, it flares out on both sides to create the front wing mounts.

Unlike the Williams image (or the one predicted by Autosport) where the nose dramatically cuts in from both sides to create the middle-finger effect.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

The Lotus looks very much inspired by the FW26 doesn't it! Will Antonia Terzi be getting a credit as a visionary if it is successful?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

eytl wrote:Unlike the Williams image (or the one predicted by Autosport) where the nose dramatically cuts in from both sides to create the middle-finger effect.

I much prefer the word Ataxia coined, namely "penisy".
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

ImageImageImage
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

CoopsII wrote:
eytl wrote:Unlike the Williams image (or the one predicted by Autosport) where the nose dramatically cuts in from both sides to create the middle-finger effect.

I much prefer the word Ataxia coined, namely "penisy".

Family program, my friend. I'm under an edick, I mean, um, edict, not to be ribald.

Having said all that, why couldn't McLaren go back to this kind of design ...

P.S. Note the driver.