The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:NBC is reporting that the new, 16-man elimination Chase will be confirmed tomorrow. Several drivers including Junior, Gordon, and JJ all talked in support of it yesterday. Hoo boy

If they go ahead with this, I'm going back to not watching NASCAR.

I lost interest when montoya left. I'll still watch Sonoma and the Glen just to see The Tasmanian Devil perform hellish feats against the others.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Samster wrote:Looks like NASCAR will use the knockout system for qualifying from this season, similar to that of F1.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140122b

The best idea NASCAR has come up with this off-season unlike the new chase design.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Samster wrote:Looks like NASCAR will use the knockout system for qualifying from this season, similar to that of F1.

The best idea NASCAR has come up with this off-season unlike the new chase design.

Well, the better rule changes are always hidden from view, aren't they?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

go_Rubens wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Well, the better rule changes are always hidden from view, aren't they?

And we only see them on the track as new parts?
Samster

Post by Samster »

Morgan Shepherd will attempt to make the Daytona 500 which would make him the oldest driver ever to compete in the race if he qualifies, though James Hylton is still the oldest to make an attempt. Looks like he'll be driving a third BK Racing car.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140205e
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I guess there were too many Volts in use there.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Samster wrote:Morgan Shepherd will attempt to make the Daytona 500 which would make him the oldest driver ever to compete in the race if he qualifies, though James Hylton is still the oldest to make an attempt. Looks like he'll be driving a third BK Racing car.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140205e

Just to think Hylton only failed to make the race due to a transmission failure while running well-up the running order. I hope Morgan can make it, but he might need one of the other BK cars to run blockade.

Yep, not as bad as the 1971 Indy 500's pace car crash. Eldon Palmer drove that muscle car too fast and the drum brakes couldn't slow his Dodge Challenger well enough.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Danica wants unlimited engine changes. Hoo boy where to begin?

RCR-powered cars are flying. Curious to see if Roush has anything for them.

EDIT: Kyle Busch just goes "Well people love conspiracy theories so I think well see the 88 and the 3 on the front row" Absolutely epic!, :D
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Yeah, I watched the last 23 laps of the race. Pretty funny :lol:

Dennyhamlinwinslol at all 3 segments is quite great, remembering he drops all the way back when segemnt 3 started
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Eldon Palmer drove that muscle car too fast and the drum brakes couldn't slow his Dodge Challenger well enough.

let me stop you right there. Drum Brakes, Dodge Challenger, and Any speed above 20mph. it was going to crash sooner or later lol
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

nome66 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:Eldon Palmer drove that muscle car too fast and the drum brakes couldn't slow his Dodge Challenger well enough.

let me stop you right there. Drum Brakes, Dodge Challenger, and Any speed above 20mph. it was going to crash sooner or later lol

Let alone driving it at 100+ mph like Eldon did.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Speaking if NASCAR, the #3 is on the pole. And it's no surprise Truex Jr. switched teams after the MWR fiasco last year. Maybe that move paid off?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:And it's no surprise Truex Jr. switched teams after the MWR fiasco last year.

He didn't really have a choice after NAPA pulled their sponsorship in response to it...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:And it's no surprise Truex Jr. switched teams after the MWR fiasco last year.

He didn't really have a choice after NAPA pulled their sponsorship in response to it...

There's my point there. I hope Truex is in a much better environment than he was last year. Furniture Row seems like a good place for him to prove a point.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

go_Rubens wrote:
Salamander wrote:

There's my point there. I hope Truex is in a much better environment than he was last year. Furniture Row seems like a good place for him to prove a point.

I think Truex will do well at FRR, but if one more freaking announcer says that "the team emerged under Kurt Busch" I'm going to stab somebody. They won the damn Southern 500 before Busch ever even got there! They were always a pretty decent team.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:I think Truex will do well at FRR, but if one more freaking announcer says that "the team emerged under Kurt Busch" I'm going to stab somebody. They won the damn Southern 500 before Busch ever even got there! They were always a pretty decent team.

Uh, they hadn't even cracked the top 20 in points until last year. Sure, they won a race - the Wood Brothers won the Daytona 500 3 years ago. Front Row Motorsports scored a 1-2 last year. Winning a race doesn't automatically make you a decent team.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:I think Truex will do well at FRR, but if one more freaking announcer says that "the team emerged under Kurt Busch" I'm going to stab somebody. They won the damn Southern 500 before Busch ever even got there! They were always a pretty decent team.

Uh, they hadn't even cracked the top 20 in points until last year. Sure, they won a race - the Wood Brothers won the Daytona 500 3 years ago. Front Row Motorsports scored a 1-2 last year. Winning a race doesn't automatically make you a decent team.

Exactly. Front Row Motorsports may have a 1-2 under their belt, but that does not make them a decent team. Especially when the race they scored that result at was a restrictor plate race where it is usually a complete crapshoot.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

go_Rubens wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Exactly. Front Row Motorsports may have a 1-2 under their belt, but that does not make them a decent team. Especially when the race they scored that result at was a restrictor plate race where it is usually a complete crapshoot.

True, plate races aren,t impressive, but Darlington is a real track and takes a great set-up and pretty good driver to win at. FFR may not have cracked the top 20 until last year, but they were always in the Top 35 when that rule still mattered. And what everyone forgets is last year they switched to RCR power, that, not Busch, helped them immensely. But I still say they were a decent-mediocore team before Busch. But I think the Wood Brothers are decent too, for part timers. Both the Wood Bros and FRR are miles ahead of BK, Tommy Baldwin, PPR, Front Row, Mears team, Pheonix, Annent, and JTG. And I'd say FFR is about equal to Petty honestly.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Austin Dillon in returning number. 3 car back to Sprint Cup Series have just gained the Daytona 500 pole

Incredible
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

You know, to bring back this topic, something struck me.

It wouldn't have happened with a Ford.

Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

That's all I have to say :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aerospeed wrote:Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

That and

Found
On
Road
Dead

:P
Everything's great.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

go_Rubens wrote:

You know, to bring back this topic, something struck me.

It wouldn't have happened with a Ford.

To my embarrassment, I also have to point out that the Chevy SS in question was in fact an Australian-built Holden Commodore with Chevy badges. :oops:

Having said that though, the fire was due to a fault with the battery pack specially fitted to power the caution lights.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

That and

Found
On
Road
Dead

:P

Why I'm no ford fan, an old (and sadly now deceased) friend of mine who won many races in a Fairlane used to love:

First
On
Race
Day

Being a Dodge man myself, I always enjoyed some of Mopar's:

Made
Of
Putty
And
Rust

Most
Our
Parts
Are
Recycled

More
Optimum
Power
At (The)
Rear

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Cheap
Hastily
Engineered
Vehicles
Yearround
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:Cheap
Hastily
Engineered
Vehicles
Yearround

Being on a more serious note, exactly. In American car history, Chevy was always the poor man's car, relatively speaking. Especially within GM, as everything else except for Pontiac was more luxurious and likely more reliable.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

go_Rubens wrote:
Hastily
Engineered
Vehicles
Yearround

Being on a more serious note, exactly. In American car history, Chevy was always the poor man's car, relatively speaking. Especially within GM, as everything else except for Pontiac was more luxurious and likely more reliable.

I dunno, I think Pontiac's were the heaps. Everyone I owned was a shitebox. Speaking of Pontiac, I know an anagram for it, but it isn't really acceptable to say.......

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:
Hastily
Engineered
Vehicles
Yearround

I dunno, I think Pontiac's were the heaps. Everyone I owned was a shitebox. Speaking of Pontiac, I know an anagram for it, but it isn't really acceptable to say.......

I think both Chevy and Pontiac were pretty equal. Either way, both brands were pathetic at some point. (80s, anyone?) Now there was a time that it didn't matter which was worse, because GM cars were very crap back then. No one in America could really build a good car then. That's why imports became so popular.

My mother had an old Buick Regal Turbo coupe, and basically the reliability and performance went to hell on it :lol: She also had an Olds, which was screwed when a Chevy engine was put in it as a repair because the normal engine became a bit too expensive to replace.

The way it was always with GM was like this:

Chevy: The cheap car from GM
Pontiac: See Chevy
Buick: The median equivalent
Oldsmobile: Higher end, a little more expensive
Cadillac: The best you could get, although expensive

Then Olds and Pontiac went, Saturn came and went, and GMCs are so annonymous I find it funny.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Anyone see that perfect 360 Bowyer's car did in Duel #2? That was freaky. Looks like the roof flaps didn't work.

So, the grid is set. I will likely watch. This is gonna be good.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

go_Rubens wrote:Anyone see that perfect 360 Bowyer's car did in Duel #2? That was freaky. Looks like the roof flaps didn't work.

So, the grid is set. I will likely watch. This is gonna be good.

The roof flaps didn't work as the flip was a product of David Ragan's car lifting Bowyer's car off the ground as it started to spin.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Daytona is under red flag for "severe weather."

That also includes a tornado warning in the area. Plus massive amounts of rain. Not looking good to get going anytime soon.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

go_Rubens wrote:Daytona is under red flag for "severe weather."

That also includes a tornado warning in the area. Plus massive amounts of rain. Not looking good to get going anytime soon.

They could do about 10 laps behind the pace car just for the fans and marshals. Plus, if the safety car caught fire again…
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I forgot all about the season-opener. Gonna have to switch the tv on.
-*:-
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:I forgot all about the season-opener. Gonna have to switch the tv on.

Oh, it's still delayed. Maybe within the hour they'll finally get it going again.

EDIT: Dale Jr. wins the 500.

ROTR - Austin Dillon - He was overhyped driving the 3 car and drove like an imbecile, he didn't handle the pressure well today. Caused about 3 big ones today. That debris that got on Jr's grill that scared the hell out of people - off Dillon's car. Didn't deserve to finish tonight.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

nome66

Post by nome66 »

which is why we need Speed Channel back! just the idiocy they brought over by switching the channel to mostly kickboxing is just immense.
it's nearly as bad as their news network.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

nome66 wrote:which is why we need Speed Channel back! just the idiocy they brought over by switching the channel to mostly kickboxing is just immense.
it's nearly as bad as their news network.

Fox News is racist. More racist than that backstage director on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (that guy really isn't, it a joke. But Fox news reporters are stupid.)

My opinion of this is that Fox themselves ruined Speed. Speedvision was the most awesome motorsport channel back in the day. They broadcast anything from the Formula 1 to Sportscars to even live WRC rallies. When Fox bought them, it became the NASCAR and crappy reality TV channel. Formula 1 was still there. The 24 Heures du Mans was still there. Rolex Sportscar series was still there. But the coverage of them lessened because Fox were biased towards NASCAR and reality TV that they could make more money on. And it brought them down when Murdoch got some contract for Fox Sports to have its own channel.

I'm glad NBCSN are getting NASCAR from the summer of 2015 onwards. It's not like I give a damn about FS1. Or Fox itself, for that matter. Plus, I think the NASCAR experts will decide to leave anyway as long as they can get out of their contracts. In my opinion, NBCSN is becoming the new Speedvision, although not as many motorsports as Speedvision, but still has a mix of a lot of sports people watch. Their F1 coverage I feel is much better than what Speed was in 2012. So in a way, I miss Speed. But I don't at the same time.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

nome66

Post by nome66 »

hopefully with nascar, they bring over the USCC and related feeders. i get sick a little inside when i have to say "bob varsha works for fox sports 1"

RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Just go home Kyle.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series