2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

Post by good_Ralf »

Lotus are set to start plum last. What a fall from the giddying heights of last year. Perhaps Brazil was a foreshadow of things to come wasn't it, even if they have been unlucky in this session. With their team boss and start driver gone, could we see Lotus become a reject team i.e. qualify and race at the back perenially?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Lotus. This is just depressing now. :cry:

But, TALENT is 17th! :mrgreen: And peope rate Bianchi over him? GTFO. :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Lotus to be this generation's BMW Sauber in terms of failure for the new regs?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I can used to both Williams drivers getting past Q1
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:I thought Kobayashi had a chance but not at the expense of both Lotuses, that really is an absolute shock, Grosjean 1.8 seconds slower than Ericson! Are Lotus really that far behind?

And at the expense of Gutierrez as well - what's also noticeable is that they were only a few tenths behind Perez and Hulkenberg too, indicating that the grid is perhaps quite a bit tighter at the tail end than in the past.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Yeah which is a potential awesome point for the early races, these lap-times are slow in the wetter conditions, seven different manufacturs for top 7 now
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ricciardo looks set for pole, while Vettel is 12th and in the garage with 3 minutes left.
-*:-
Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

With 60 seconds left, Vettel is over 5 seconds off the top.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Raikonnen ends Q2 early in crazy style! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA VETTEL!!!
Last edited by sswishbone on 15 Mar 2014, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Vergne and Kvyat in Q3! Wasn't expecting that
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The crowd just then. They really like Vettel, don't they? :lol:

Kimi you utter herbert.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Take that Seb, take that. Ricciardo never even came in for a new set of inters.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

9 consecutive wins, now this, blown away by new teammate Ricciardo. What if this continues into the early races. Did the yellow flags contribute to the slow lap? That's Vettel's first Q3 elimination since 2012.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Kimi ruined that! It looked like a proper old school last man standing battle

What Vettel was hearing after seeing the results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBxcoY7OJdw
Last edited by sswishbone on 15 Mar 2014, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

No offence to any of his fans but...

Maldonado's screwed :D :D :D :D
Trump 2016
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

3 WDC's out in Q2.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

At least Super Seb didn't bin it...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

good_Ralf wrote:9 consecutive wins, now this, blown away by new teammate Ricciardo. What if this continues into the early races. Did the yellow flags contribute to the slow lap? That's Vettel's first Q3 elimination since 2012.

All streaks end eventually -- just unlucky timing with the yellows.

Loved the antics of Mastercard Lotus during qualifying. Definitely brought a big smile on my end.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

I love seeing no Vettel in Q3
Officially Retired
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Do it for Dale, Ricciardo!

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Great job from Riccardo, so much for not making Q3 eh Red Bull?

Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

Daniel Ricciardo just crushed Sebastian Vettel in qualifying. He's in row 1 with Seb in 13th. Magnussen was much better than Button. This season is going to be fun.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:9 consecutive wins, now this, blown away by new teammate Ricciardo. What if this continues into the early races. Did the yellow flags contribute to the slow lap? That's Vettel's first Q3 elimination since 2012.

Not directly, since Kvyat was able to improve his time despite the yellow flag (and knocked Button out at the very last second), so time could be found elsewhere around the circuit. However, it probably made Vettel push overly hard later on in the lap (especially around the Turn 11/12 complex) which resulted in that mistake that threw him off line.
Either way, it's been a pretty trying time for Vettel so far - he hasn't had an answer to Ricciardo over a single lap so far and his car looks poorly set up judging by the switch from understeer to snap oversteer, plus he is now stuck a lot lower down the grid than he is used to whilst his team mate has only just come up short on a pole position in his very first race for the team.

apple2009 wrote:At least Super Seb didn't bin it...

True, and it has to be said that Kimi looked like he was constantly struggling throughout that session whereas Alonso looked like he was much more confident - it hasn't been a great return to Ferrari for him.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

K-Mag 4th. Bloody hell's bells. :mrgreen:

I'll admit, I was rooting for a Ricciardo pole, just to rub it in Vettel's face even more. A front row start will do nicely. :mrgreen:
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Wow, that roar when Ricciardo briefly had pole. Amazing. He must have heard that.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

That. Was. Awesome.

This is going to be a good year.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I was hoping the Vettel hate had calmed down by now. I was wrong.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Well done to Ricciardo, his first ever front-row start in F1. Ex-teammate Vergne also set a good lap time, 6th the best he has achieved in F1 so far.

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jocke1 wrote:Wow, that roar when Ricciardo briefly had pole. Amazing. He must have heard that.

I admittedly chuckled once Hamilton snatched pole -- mostly because of the crowd reaction -- even though I hate Hamilton with the burning passion most people waste on Vettel.

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Daniel Ricciardo is my hero today. He put the car on the front row when Vettel cracked and did shite with the car. Vettel is making a case for ROTR already, quite frankly. He was mostly being oupaced by KOBAYASHI in Q2 until his final lap.

That was a fantastic qualifying session. May the race be ever great in our favor.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Problem is the Renault cars can hardly get off the line, right?

Still, Australia has a new hero.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

apple2009 wrote:I was hoping the Vettel hate had calmed down by now. I was wrong.

I thought cheering on the underdog is what we did. And who is Ricciardo if not the underdog relative to Vettel?

Hell of a job by him to get on the front row, but the race will be another story. Qualifying has always been Ricciardo's stronger suit. Awesome job by Magnussen as well to get into Q3 and 4th on the grid while Button missed Q3 in conditions that should've suited him. This is gonna be one hell of a year. :D
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
girry

Post by girry »

Renault. What.

Weren't they supposed to be dead last? Red Bull looks superb in the hands of Ricciardo (kudos to him), both STR's were convincing and Kobayashi routinely put the Caterham P15. Ok, Mastercard Lotus gave today's laugh, but still, I really didn't expect this.
when you're dead people start listening
Stareagle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stareagle »

No Vettel hate here - that was just an amazing drive by Ricciardo on the intermediates, plus you've got both Magnussen and Kvyat starting near the front of the grid.

And a Caterham starting on the back bumper of a Red Bull.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Cynon wrote: Loved the antics of Mastercard Lotus during qualifying.
giraurd wrote: Mastercard Lotus gave today's laugh.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6849
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

RotQ: Mastercard Lotus, dishonorable mention Kimi.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Maldonado might still be able to start the race. He set a time in FP3 that was within 107% of the benchmark time set by Nico Rosberg.

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Yeah I agree about ROTQ with Mastercard Lotus

Special mentions to Raikkonen, Button and Vettel!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
mario

Post by mario »

eytl wrote:Problem is the Renault cars can hardly get off the line, right?

Still, Australia has a new hero.

There were some rumours in the past that the Renault powered teams were having some issues when trying race starts, but it is unclear if that is still now the case.

Salamander wrote:
apple2009 wrote:I was hoping the Vettel hate had calmed down by now. I was wrong.

I thought cheering on the underdog is what we did. And who is Ricciardo if not the underdog relative to Vettel?

Hell of a job by him to get on the front row, but the race will be another story. Qualifying has always been Ricciardo's stronger suit. Awesome job by Magnussen as well to get into Q3 and 4th on the grid while Button missed Q3 in conditions that should've suited him. This is gonna be one hell of a year. :D

I think that he might be referring to some of the comments that are being made by certain sectors of the fanbase - to me, it seemed more like the crowd was more interested in cheering on Ricciardo rather than jeering Vettel (as I've seen posted elsewhere, hearing the crowd roar on Ricciardo during his lap was far more atmospheric than any engine note).

giraurd wrote:Renault. What.

Weren't they supposed to be dead last? Red Bull looks superb in the hands of Ricciardo (kudos to him), both STR's were convincing and Kobayashi routinely put the Caterham P15. Ok, Mastercard Lotus gave today's laugh, but still, I really didn't expect this.

Well, it would appear that Renault have found the answer to at least some of their problems this weekend and that Red Bull might be rebounding a lot quicker than some might have expected. Curiously, there is a suggestion that part of Vettel's problems in qualifying might have been down to the fact that he had a different engine mapping on his car - Symonds did mention that the teams were struggling to develop appropriate engine maps, so perhaps Vettel's issues with the car were partially down to a poor wet weather map (perhaps Ricciardo left his car with the dry weather engine map?).

Kobayashi was surprisingly competitive - although, it should be noted, Marussia have shown strong pace in the practise sessions too - and Toro Rosso are perhaps in better shape than we imagined too, although it has to be said that the car looked less competitive in the dry practise sessions (both drivers were regularly running off track). I guess that we will have to see how the cars hold up in race trim though - most of the Renault powered teams will be going into tomorrow pretty much blind as to what to expect with regards to tyre wear and fuel consumption, so we cannot be sure that they will still be so competitive in race trim.

good_Ralf wrote:Maldonado might still be able to start the race. He set a time in FP3 that was within 107% of the benchmark time set by Nico Rosberg.

Whiting has also indicated that the stewards are likely to be a bit more lenient in the first few races given that the teams are still adapting to the new regulations, so he probably will be allowed to start. That said, this is really going to be more of an extended test session for Lotus rather than a competitive race given that the car looked like an evil handling brute.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

I don't really think this Q gave us too much info for the season as a whole or even for tomorrows race. Some cars seemed to thrive in the rain while others were fast in the dry. I think traffic also affected the whole thing rather much, so let see tomorrow and especially, lets see what happenes in a 100% dry race.