The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Samster

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by Samster »

So we are just waiting for the final two Motorbase drivers plus Speedwork's lineup which remains a complete mystery to me and whatever Lea Wood is doing if anything. And hopefully not seeing Chris James on the grid, though I'd like to see his Spearmint Rhino car. 8-)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:After all of the hype, WSR announce an unchanged line-up. A bit anti-climatic, but at least Turkington's still on the grid.

Woah, I like the colour scheme on those cars. Block primary colours and black do it for me.

Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Tom Ingram finally gets a BTCC drive, with Speedworks.

Good word, the BTCC field is absolutely stacked this year. WTCC may have more manufacturers and several champions on their grid, but their field looks really thin so far in comparison.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

BTC Racing announce their sponsor, Power Maxed.
https://twitter.com/ChrisStockton28
Samster

Post by Samster »

And Andy Neate finally confirms that he won't compete in 2014 though he's threatening to return in 2015.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/no-andy-neate-for-2014/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Apparently, WTCC has forbidden drivers who are gonna compete in the TC2 class this year (the class for the older S2000 cars) from using 2011-2013 spec Chevy Cruzes. The reason is as the car was so dominant, they don't want rich drivers buying the cars and walking all over the opposition in the class. It seems far fetched (a few other forums such as Ten Tenths were discussing it), but the only confirmed TC2 entries so far are running SEAT Leons...

Funny that, in the TC1 class (for the new cars), it's probably gonna be a Citroen walkover at this rate, as they've spent a huge amount of money on their car, and have Muller and Loeb driving. One rule for them and another for the rest. :roll:

Please, let Lada be competitive this year.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:Apparently, WTCC has forbidden drivers who are gonna compete in the TC2 class this year (the class for the older S2000 cars) from using 2011-2013 spec Chevy Cruzes. The reason is as the car was so dominant, they don't want rich drivers buying the cars and walking all over the opposition in the class. It seems far fetched (a few other forums such as Ten Tenths were discussing it), but the only confirmed TC2 entries so far are running SEAT Leons...

Funny that, in the TC1 class (for the new cars), it's probably gonna be a Citroen walkover at this rate, as they've spent a huge amount of money on their car, and have Muller and Loeb driving. One rule for them and another for the rest. :roll:

Please, let Lada be competitive this year.

Since the TC2 class is for S2000 cars, what's to stop someone from rocking up in an ex BTCC car?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I honestly think it will be Honda who are Citroens closest rivals, not Lada. Tarquini could realistically fight Muller for the title imo.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

East Londoner wrote:Please, let Lada be competitive this year.

Never in all my years did I ever think I would see "Lada" and "competitive" in the same sentence. I'll put it down to a kebab-induced hallucination and in the morning the post, and my reply, will all have been a figment of my imagination.

Won't it?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Please, let Lada be competitive this year.

Never in all my years did I ever think I would see "Lada" and "competitive" in the same sentence. I'll put it down to a kebab-induced hallucination and in the morning the post, and my reply, will all have been a figment of my imagination.

Won't it?

But what if Lada were competitive? With James Thompson and Rob Huff driving for them, this is definitely the team I'll be supporting...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Samster wrote:We have a live Mercedes A-Class!
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/wix-mer ... -revealed/

That car looks boss. So good to see such a mix of cars in the BTCC this year.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

watka wrote:

I think it look better on the Mercedes than it did on the A4 last year.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

roblomas52 wrote:
watka wrote:

I think it look better on the Mercedes than it did on the A4 last year.

Incorrect. The Mercedes has 100% less Rob Austin, so it is automatically worse. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Lea Wood confirms his plans. His family team will merge with Houseman Racing and have built a Toyota Avensis (making six of them on the grid this year). This also means the 32nd TBL is finally accounted for.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/wood-re ... n-avensis/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Access to the BTCC 2014 Season Launch at Donington Park on 18th March is free to the general public from 12:30 to 5 pm! I would start organizing a trip there, but I will be in lectures at uni from 1-3 pm. :cry: And I have an essay due in at 1 pm... (Not that that would have stopped me - give it in a few hours early...). If anybody else goes, let me know. I'll be going to the first round at Brands Hatch at the end of the month.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Great to hear Lea Wood's finally getting an NGTC car. By all rights, he should have had one last season.

dr-baker wrote:Access to the BTCC 2014 Season Launch at Donington Park on 18th March is free to the general public from 12:30 to 5 pm! I would start organizing a trip there, but I will be in lectures at uni from 1-3 pm. :cry: And I have an essay due in at 1 pm... (Not that that would have stopped me - give it in a few hours early...). If anybody else goes, let me know. I'll be going to the first round at Brands Hatch at the end of the month.

Baker, any decent uni student worth their salt has bunked lectures. Be a rebel, DO IT. :P :lol:

I am currently working on trying to get people to come with me to see the Snetterton round in August, the major issue being that the circuit is in the middle of nowhere. :|
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Great to hear Lea Wood's finally getting an NGTC car. By all rights, he should have had one last season.

dr-baker wrote:Access to the BTCC 2014 Season Launch at Donington Park on 18th March is free to the general public from 12:30 to 5 pm! I would start organizing a trip there, but I will be in lectures at uni from 1-3 pm. :cry: And I have an essay due in at 1 pm... (Not that that would have stopped me - give it in a few hours early...). If anybody else goes, let me know. I'll be going to the first round at Brands Hatch at the end of the month.

Baker, any decent uni student worth their salt has bunked lectures. Be a rebel, DO IT. :P :lol:

Final year student, I am. And these lectures are apparently to help with my research proposal... I was going to say that in four years of BA study and three years of BSc study, I've never skived off a single lecture. But then I remembered that in my final term of my French and History of Ideas degree, I skived off a week for a week's holiday to America. Some may be skiving those lectures anyway to complete their essay due in that morning? Plus I've never been to see the museum at Donington... I'll think about it!
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:Great to hear Lea Wood's finally getting an NGTC car. By all rights, he should have had one last season.

I am currently working on trying to get people to come with me to see the Snetterton round in August, the major issue being that the circuit is in the middle of nowhere. :|

I might ask my parents if I can go but that depends on me passing my driving test in 5 weeks and 5 days (24 June-3 August) ;)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Jack Clarke takes the third Motorbase Focus. The stepson of F1 Reject Julian Bailey as well.

Looks like he'll be another decent hand behind the wheel, it's just a shame that it's now likely that either Mat Jackson or TOC won't be on the grid this season. Still the 2nd Motorbase Focus and the 2nd RAR Audi up for grabs. Apparently, Speedworks are only running the one Toyota this season, according to some people in the know,
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:Jack Clarke takes the third Motorbase Focus. The stepson of F1 Reject Julian Bailey as well.

Looks like he'll be another decent hand behind the wheel, it's just a shame that it's now likely that either Mat Jackson or TOC won't be on the grid this season. Still the 2nd Motorbase Focus and the 2nd RAR Audi up for grabs. Apparently, Speedworks are only running the one Toyota this season, according to some people in the know,

Hopefully they choose Mat Jackson, it would be a real dampener to a great silly season if the arguably best driver without a championship was left without a drive. Plus TOC would probably dump them midseason anyway because he can't seem to stick with the same team for more than one year.

I really hope that Speedworks with only one car thing isn't true. I've seen a BTCC.net member thats convinced they handed back their 2nd TBL just so Alan Gow could have his precious part time 'celebrity' entry. 31 cars just isn't as round a number as 32.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Tom Onslow-Cole confirms that he won't be competing in the BTCC this year, apparently his choice. Surely this means Mat Jackson is a lock for the final Motorbase seat.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/general ... 2014-btcc/
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

In WTCC, we see this: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112851

Great to see good ol' Gianni still at racing cars.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Rob Austin's teammate is finally revealed and its not Jake Hill!
http://www.btcc.net/2014/03/12/hunter-a ... cc-season/
Samster

Post by Samster »

This has to be a joke. He wasn't even a front runner during the 90s. If he gets that Motorbase seat over Jackson then Dave Batrum is personally getting a slap.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I only became aware of the BTCC and some of its drivers in the mid- to late-1990s, so this Rob Gravett guy doesn't mean anything to me at all. If, however, he is another BTCC champion on the grid, then could get interesting.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:I only became aware of the BTCC and some of its drivers in the mid- to late-1990s, so this Rob Gravett guy doesn't mean anything to me at all. If, however, he is another BTCC champion on the grid, then could get interesting.

I remember him from '97, I think he was farting around in an independent BMW from memory?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I only became aware of the BTCC and some of its drivers in the mid- to late-1990s, so this Rob Gravett guy doesn't mean anything to me at all. If, however, he is another BTCC champion on the grid, then could get interesting.

I remember him from '97, I think he was farting around in an independent BMW from memory?

In the mid- to late-1990s, I became aware of the BTCC. The drivers I knew at that point were some of the international drivers (Menu, Rydell), plus Cleland and Plato. I was not aware of the whole field, and he was one who I must have just totally missed.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

I managed to brave a bit of wet and wind to attend the BTCC media day yesterday at Donnington. Got some nice pics including one of Chris Stockton spinning off at the Old Hairpin. Got a good look into the garages too, even got to stand right next to Sherman and see the little fan pictures on the roof. :) Rob Austin seems to have switched numbers to the #101 for some reason. Shame Welch Motorsport couldn't make it though but the rest of the grid at least had their cars there.

Mat Jackson was announced as the third Motorbase driver to the surprise of no one. Apparently the deal was made literally that morning.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/general ... -airwaves/

And of course the 31 car grid was confirmed.
http://www.btcc.net/2014/03/18/btcc-con ... 14-season/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Samster wrote:I managed to brave a bit of wet and wind to attend the BTCC media day yesterday at Donnington. Got some nice pics including one of Chris Stockton spinning off at the Old Hairpin. Got a good look into the garages too, even got to stand right next to Sherman and see the little fan pictures on the roof. :) Rob Austin seems to have switched numbers to the #101 for some reason. Shame Welch Motorsport couldn't make it though but the rest of the grid at least had their cars there.

Mat Jackson was announced as the third Motorbase driver to the surprise of no one. Apparently the deal was made literally that morning.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/general ... -airwaves/

And of course the 31 car grid was confirmed.
http://www.btcc.net/2014/03/18/btcc-con ... 14-season/

I'd wanted to go, but had an essay to give in, lectures on how to write my research proposal and a bit of socialising to do. Otherwise I would have been there...
MCard LOLA
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Listen guys, this is gonna make your reject-heart leap:
Onyx will not contest in the 2014 WTCC season because they failed to secure financial funding.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mediocre wrote:Listen guys, this is gonna make your reject-heart leap:
Onyx will not contest in the 2014 WTCC season because they failed to secure financial funding.

It's true: http://www.crash.net/wtcc/news/201373/1 ... plans.html :cry:
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:
mediocre wrote:Listen guys, this is gonna make your reject-heart leap:

It's true: http://www.crash.net/wtcc/news/201373/1 ... plans.html :cry:

What a shame. :(
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I must say I don't really like the new paint scheme on the MG for this year
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

https://twitter.com/BTCCDanWelch/status/449839130722443264

Can this chap get some good luck for once? :cry:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Will post some photos from the weekend at Brands (BTCC plus support categories) Sunday/Monday...
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

GO JORDAN! :P :P :P

The Passats are looking fairly fighty as well; it would be very nice indeed if Aron Smith and Menu could score big :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:Will post some photos from the weekend at Brands (BTCC plus support categories) Sunday/Monday...

Well, here's a link to my album of photos from the event.

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I must say I don't really like the new paint scheme on the MG for this year

You mean this?:

It is more appropriate to a 0mph billboard than a 100+mph racecar... What is maybe worse is that Mr Plato even has it as his road car (I deliberately obscured his number plate because it appeared to be personalised, and obviously his, looking at the letter combination):

A couple of my favourite liveries from the weekend:

A Formula Ford that vaguely reminded me of a Brawn:

The most garish livery of the meeting:

But not the most garish thing to have been seen all weekend - this guy was seen walking from the paddock to the pitlane from the Paddock Hill grandstand:

One of my prodest photos - a picture of a WSR eBay Beemer locking up into Paddock Hill Bend:

And Reject of the Race Meeting, in my opinion, had to be during one of the Ginetta Junior races on the Sunday. In most Ginetta crashes that I've seen, the bonnet and/or headlights works loose. So to try towing the car by this is not the best idea...

MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

My rejects of the race.

Race 1 - Aron Smith - For nerfing off Mat Jackson and consigning him to midfield finishes for the first two races.

Dishonorable mention to Martin Depper for doing the same to James Cole and then seemed to blame him in the BTCC crazy article.

Race 2 - Marc Hynes - I've no idea why so many were hyping him up claiming he'd do better than Tordoff when he's not even raced period since 2008. But even I thought he'd at least score some points. Slow (about as slow as Depper in the 2nd Eurotech) and even managed to collide with Depper twice, the one in this race being more obviously his fault. (Also my reject of the weekend.)

Dishonorable mention to the three BMRs that passed Mat Jackson under safety car. What were they thinking.

Race 3 - Nick Foster - Jump Start that cost him a chance at the podium.

Dishonorable mention to Alain Menu for taking out Tom Ingram.

Also a mention to Motorbase who still look like they won't be competing for wins let alone the championship although they are slightly better now than they started 2013. Of course Aron Smith didn't help with the aforementioned collision with the only one of their drivers that was reasonably competitive during the weekend.