Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:I wonder if I can be called a true fan of the sport if I'm not able to watch all of the races. I'll hopefully be watching Bahrain this weekend, but I don't know yet that I have a sure way to watch the rest. I hope to. Until now I've been following the sport through this site, Saward's site, James Allen's site and twitter because that's what I can get away with at work. Am I a real fan or just a casual follower?

You know that the Bahrain GP was actually last weekend, so you'll be watching a rerun this coming weekend?

Think we have an answer for his real vs. casual fan dilemma.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

dr-baker wrote:
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:I wonder if I can be called a true fan of the sport if I'm not able to watch all of the races. I'll hopefully be watching Bahrain this weekend, but I don't know yet that I have a sure way to watch the rest. I hope to. Until now I've been following the sport through this site, Saward's site, James Allen's site and twitter because that's what I can get away with at work. Am I a real fan or just a casual follower?

You know that the Bahrain GP was actually last weekend, so you'll be watching a rerun this coming weekend?

Yep, I know I'll be watching rerun. But I really want to see it because it was such an exciting race.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I consider casual fans to be a type of fan, but yes, not watching most of the events makes you casual.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

If I look at things outside the box, Marussia's new car looks to have a more technologically advanced steering wheel than a body of the car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It is amazing what in terms of perception some winning and losing with a few years going by can do! Had it been in 2006, I would have been riled and concerned that Ferrari would manage to power their way into a rule change that suited them, as I get when it is Red Bull. But now, after some random Italian bloke came to the press, no doubt sent by Di Montezemolo or someone close to him, blasting the new rules I can only laugh it off and be amused at their pathetic attempts to influence the sport.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

go_Rubens wrote:If I look at things outside the box, All Marussia's cars looks to have a more technologically advanced steering wheel than the bodies of the cars.

Fixed.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I crash, therefore I am?
-*:-
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Jocke1 wrote:I crash, therefore I am?
Maldonado in a nutshell :lol:
Trump 2016
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The more I consider it, the more I wish MaxiAttack had retired from a race early last year. Every time he finishes a race now, it's gonna make his eventual first retirement so much more painful. I don't want this pain. :cry:

On a more serious note, am I the only one who thinks Bianchi has been really poor so far this season?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:The more I consider it, the more I wish MaxiAttack had retired from a race early last year. Every time he finishes a race now, it's gonna make his eventual first retirement so much more painful. I don't want this pain. :cry:

On a more serious note, am I the only one who thinks Bianchi has been really poor so far this season?

He's been driving worse than Chilton. Well, that was inevitable :P

But in all seriousness, all Bianchi's done is shite. His stock in my eyes is only raising if he can pull off a result against the cars around him, which I'm suggesting he pulls of a slight upset like beating a Sauber.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:
East Londoner wrote:The more I consider it, the more I wish MaxiAttack had retired from a race early last year. Every time he finishes a race now, it's gonna make his eventual first retirement so much more painful. I don't want this pain. :cry:

He's been driving worse than Chilton. Well, that was inevitable :P

But in all seriousness, all Bianchi's done is shite. His stock in my eyes is only raising if he can pull off a result against the cars around him, which I'm suggesting he pulls of a slight upset like beating a Sauber.

It is still early days, but I do agree that Bianchi's form so far this season has been a bit disappointing - whilst he has been solid enough in qualifying and might have been able to do something in Melbourne but for his transmission issues, he's already racked up two penalties for clashes on track (one of which is admittedly debatable). Moreover, although Bianchi still has the upper hand in wet weather conditions, the performance gap between himself and Chilton in dry weather conditions is not as large as I might have expected either.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

After the Chinese GP flag incident and this comment on ROTR thread:
Ferrim wrote:Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, the flag guy of the 2008 Brazilian GP happens to be a Brazilian with big knowledge of the F1 rulebook, who decides to wave the flag as Massa comes by to complete lap 70.

This is why I must change my nomination to The Flag Man! (Although, what an epic moment that one would have been...)

The rules said that:
Article 43.2 of F1's sporting regulations wrote:"Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the line before the signal was given."

I can smell that this rule can be abused to fix/rig/sabotage races, so that the result can be altered. (Especially as I've know there's a sabotage incident involving "floodlight failures" in 1997 Premier League).

Thoughts? :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FMecha wrote:Thoughts? :)

Thoughts? You're a moron. Who on earth is realistically going to do that?

It was just an over-zealous marshal screwing up. Deal with that, instead of trying (as usual) to find conspiracy theories that aren't there.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FMecha wrote:I can smell that this rule can be abused to fix/rig/sabotage races, so that the result can be altered. (Especially as I've know there's a sabotage incident involving "floodlight failures" in 1997 Premier League).

Do you not think someone might notice, like they did today?
Just For One Day...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

CoopsII wrote:
FMecha wrote:I can smell that this rule can be abused to fix/rig/sabotage races, so that the result can be altered. (Especially as I've know there's a sabotage incident involving "floodlight failures" in 1997 Premier League).

Do you not think someone might notice, like they did today?

Ah yeah, but the flagman will just pass it off as a mistake. Ataxia is right though, I think I've over-responding to the screwup. :|
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Fun fact: Did you know that Spyker invented 4 wheel drive?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

While I found Alonso's glowing tribute to Domenicalli on Sunday very respectful and warm I pondered afterwards if on some level Alonso was trying to send out signals. Perhaps his acknowledgement of Domenicalli was meant to point out to the new boss how much respect the old boss had with him, and that, despite this season not being great so far, the new guy has big shoes to fill. Referencing the 2012 season also could be a reminder of what Alonso is capable of and of his value if not to this team then perhaps another.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:While I found Alonso's glowing tribute to Domenicalli on Sunday very respectful and warm I pondered afterwards if on some level Alonso was trying to send out signals. Perhaps his acknowledgement of Domenicalli was meant to point out to the new boss how much respect the old boss had with him, and that, despite this season not being great so far, the new guy has big shoes to fill. Referencing the 2012 season also could be a reminder of what Alonso is capable of and of his value if not to this team then perhaps another.

He might be signalling that he is ready to jump ship. Trouble is that there is not other team better than Ferrari to receive him. So he will most certainly be stuck with 2 titles. McLaren could wave with the Honda flag, yet the way they have been under performing lately doesn't help. What makes it a deal breaker, though is Ron Dennis being back in charge of the team. Regardless let's think about these signals. He praised the old boss, which can point that it was a decision he didn't support. He also pointed out to 2012 perhaps not only to remind everyone of his value, as you said coops, but to also highlight that Ferrari would have been worse had it not been him.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Oh dear.

I was wittering on about F1 on another forum, dont be like that, I have a life away from here y'know. Anyway, its a band forum and I wont say which band, allow me my privacy, but lets just say its not 1Direction and leave it at that.

Anyhoo, they have an F1 thread and Ive been waxing lyrical about Marussia and Caterham and I even referenced Pacific too to the general bafflement of the other members. Not hostility just a general "Er, thats very interesting but what about Vettel?" kind of vibe.

It was a bit embarrassing as I'd forgotten I wasnt on here :oops:
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

CoopsII wrote:Oh dear.

I was wittering on about F1 on another forum, dont be like that, I have a life away from here y'know. Anyway, its a band forum and I wont say which band, allow me my privacy, but lets just say its not 1Direction and leave it at that.

Anyhoo, they have an F1 thread and Ive been waxing lyrical about Marussia and Caterham and I even referenced Pacific too to the general bafflement of the other members. Not hostility just a general "Er, thats very interesting but what about Vettel?" kind of vibe.

i know the feeling. I was an early member on a now-defunct f1 forum which only contained around 300 members (of which only about 50 posted daily). I knew of teams like Pacific, Forti, Larrousse ect and drivers such as Amati, Langes and Inoue to name a few yet all they cared about was Hamilton, Alonso and Ferrari. Was rather lonely at the back of the classroom...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Gonna assume that the band in reference is Limp Bizkit unless you tell otherwise.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:Gonna assume that the band in reference is Limp Bizkit unless you tell otherwise.

Keep on rollin' baby, you know what time it is....

Anyway.

Should we start some sort of thread to mark 20 years since Ratzenbergers death tomorow or do we think we've covered it enough and said all that needs to be said in years gone by? Is discussing Imola '94 on here a bit repetative and/or ghoulish?
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:

Gonna assume that the band in reference is Limp Bizkit unless you tell otherwise.

I was at a friend's the other day and her mum professed loving limp bizkit, while hating The Beatles.

I was speechless.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Limp Bizkit still exist? Damn :|
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Limp Bizkit still exist? Damn :|

I occasionally still go see one of their shows when i'm at a music festival, because they're kind of like a vintage disco act to me :lol:
It's one of those times in the year that you can pull of your best 'sarcastic dance moves' 8-)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Limp Bizkit still exist? Damn :|

I occasionally still go see one of their shows when i'm at a music festival, because they're kind of like a vintage disco act to me :lol:
It's one of those times in the year that you can pull of your best 'sarcastic dance moves' 8-)

Yeah, I agree. Would I go to see one of their shows, HELL NO. But would I see them at a festival, yes for a laugh.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Is the legend of Ayrton Senna now just a cliché, in that it is trotted out so often.... :shock:
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

WeirdKerr wrote:Is the legend of Ayrton Senna now just a cliché, in that it is trotted out so often.... :shock:

I would argue not really. I showed my nan the Senna film last night and we were both welling up at the end (which in a very reserved English family saying a lot). The only thing about it that I sometimes take issue with is that I would say that his immortalisation has massively overshadowed Prost's talents, and in some areas of the internet he has been absolutely vilified, which at times gets a little ridiculous.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

SgtPepper wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Is the legend of Ayrton Senna now just a cliché, in that it is trotted out so often.... :shock:

I would argue not really. I showed my nan the Senna film last night and we were both welling up at the end (which in a very reserved English family saying a lot). The only thing about it that I sometimes take issue with is that I would say that his immortalisation has massively overshadowed Prost's talents, and in some areas of the internet he has been absolutely vilified, which at times gets a little ridiculous.

I guess one could argue that the film is just another example of the 'cliché' (an undoubtedly excellent one, but still).
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

SgtPepper wrote: I showed my nan the Senna film last night and we were both welling up at the end

shinji wrote:I guess one could argue that the film is just another example of the 'cliché' (an undoubtedly excellent one, but still).

Ron Dennis very recently made some comments on the Senna film.

http://fiftybuckss.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... rtnership/

39:40 ----->
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

That's obviously not Silverstone. In fact, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that might be Anglesey.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

tommykl wrote:

That's obviously not Silverstone. In fact, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that might be Anglesey.

Jesus, Anglesey has really changed then. Last time I saw it it was little more than a crappy club track.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That circuit:

Anglesey:

...so no, it isn't. Actually, who's to say it's even in this country? How badly have Reuters screwed up here?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's the new Circuit of Wales, isn't it? The one that hasn't yet been built? The one that's applying for a government grant, but which Silverstone is opposing because they too applied for a grant but couldn't get because it would apparently be illegal?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113064/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113021/
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:It's the new Circuit of Wales, isn't it? The one that hasn't yet been built? The one that's applying for a government grant, but which Silverstone is opposing because they too applied for a grant but couldn't get because it would apparently be illegal?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113064/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113021/

That is what I thought when I saw the image.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Can Grosjean win tomorrow if LH & NR retires?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:Can Grosjean win tomorrow if LH & NR retires?

If the Mercs double-DNF it'll probably happen like this (or this).
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I wonder if Kolles is gonna buy up either Lotus or Caterham? With the rumours of costs for both teams being a bit up the creek, buying up their assets would be one way to get on the grid, especially with Haas ruling out buying either
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

sswishbone wrote:I wonder if Kolles is gonna buy up either Lotus or Caterham? With the rumours of costs for both teams being a bit up the creek, buying up their assets would be one way to get on the grid, especially with Haas ruling out buying either

Didn't he get an entry with something called Forza Rozza?

I've yet to hear from them since Haas got their entry on the grid, so it would be fair to assume Kolles might still buy out a team. Caterham is the most likely since Fernandes said (correct me if I'm wrong) he'd pull out if the team didn't score points in 2014. Given their current pace this year, well.... :?:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM