Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: Rantbox

Post by Jocke1 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I disagree. I think it adds an extra happiness to the celebrations.
I guess what I get irritated by is the fact that he drags the word out for 10+ seconds!
It's a bit overkill. We get it, it's champagne.
-*:-
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:I have always disliked the F1 tradition of having a guy howling 'champaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagne' during the podium spray.
It adds nothing, it is dead annoying and to me it is a completely useless task to perform.

I disagree. I think it adds an extra happiness to the celebrations.

Pre-Britain 2012 podiums kicked ass

Personally I'd love to see the organizers play different songs for the champagne spraying other than Georges Bizet - Overture Carmen. In Hungary 1992, when Mansell became World Champion, the Hungarian GP organizers played Final Countdown.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Jocke1 wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I disagree. I think it adds an extra happiness to the celebrations.
I guess what I get irritated by is the fact that he drags the word out for 10+ seconds!

Oh Ok then fair enough.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Personally I'd love to see the organizers play different songs for the champagne spraying other than Georges Bizet - Overture Carmen.

Yeah, same here.
This year the drivers all had to pick a number to race with for the rest of their careers,
so why not also let them pick a personal theme song for the podium champagne spraying ceremony when
they win a race?
That could prove to be awesome, couldn't it?

I can just picture Max Chilton choosing Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best' and Daniel Ricciardo going for Men At Work's 'Down Under'. :lol:
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Jocke1 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
Personally I'd love to see the organizers play different songs for the champagne spraying other than Georges Bizet - Overture Carmen.

Yeah, same here.
This year the drivers all had to pick a number to race with for the rest of their careers,
so why not also let them pick a personal theme song for the podium champagne spraying ceremony when
they win a race?
That could prove to be awesome, couldn't it?

I can just picture Max Chilton choosing Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best' and Daniel Ricciardo going for Men At Work's 'Down Under'. :lol:

I dread to think what Hamilton would choose
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I dread to think what Hamilton would choose

http://youtu.be/SRcnnId15BA?t=1m39s
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Jocke1 wrote:

The rosewateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The CG flags on the podium are really tacky.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Cynon wrote:The CG flags on the podium are really tacky.

I miss the old legit flags... What was wrong with the old flags?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Amen to that, brother. I cant get my head why someone thought it was a good idea. What was wrong with real flags? It cant be that hard logistically to transport all the necessary flags or for the venue to acquire them either. And its hardly a pinnacle of technological achievement to bang up three Google images or whatever...
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

Amen to that, brother. I cant get my head why someone thought it was a good idea. What was wrong with real flags? It cant be that hard logistically to transport all the necessary flags or for the venue to acquire them either. And its hardly a pinnacle of technological achievement to bang up three Google images or whatever...

I agree that it does seem a bit tacky given that the images are so obviously fake - if it was the case that the flags at least looked reasonably realistic, that might make it a little more palatable. It's hardly that much of an expense either given that fourteen flags would cover the entire current driver line up...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I agree that it does seem a bit tacky given that the images are so obviously fake - if it was the case that the flags at least looked reasonably realistic, that might make it a little more palatable. It's hardly that much of an expense either given that fourteen flags would cover the entire current driver line up...

This sounds like idiotic cost-cutting measures. Much like an enterprise telling its workers to avoid doing colour printing unless absolutely necessary while still renting top of the line CLSs for its administration members as a job perk...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Surely fourteen flags could easily fit into a single person's handluggage?!?! Or. at the worst. a small suitcase?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

dr-baker wrote:Surely fourteen flags could easily fit into a single person's handluggage?!?! Or. at the worst. a small suitcase?

I'll volunteer to travel to every race and be the flags-bearer :D Assuming my expenses are paid for, of course...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Well, it's not just fourteen flags. For example, you might need three German flags for a Rosberg - Vettel - Hulkenberg podium. And there's all the GP2 and GP3 nationalities as well. It'll probably come to 50 overall. And, in these times of cost-cutting, we need to decide whether to bring to every race 50 pieces of cloth or Bernie's personal solid gold bathtub. I know which one is more important.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

GwilymJJames wrote:Well, it's not just fourteen flags. For example, you might need three German flags for a Rosberg - Vettel - Hulkenberg podium. And there's all the GP2 and GP3 nationalities as well. It'll probably come to 50 overall. And, in these times of cost-cutting, we need to decide whether to bring to every race 50 pieces of cloth or Bernie's personal solid gold bathtub. I know which one is more important.

Yeah. Bernie's daughters' solid platinum bathtubs. ;) :lol: And don't start mentioning the necessary bathplugs... :?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

GwilymJJames wrote:Well, it's not just fourteen flags. For example, you might need three German flags for a Rosberg - Vettel - Hulkenberg podium. And there's all the GP2 and GP3 nationalities as well. It'll probably come to 50 overall. And, in these times of cost-cutting, we need to decide whether to bring to every race 50 pieces of cloth or Bernie's personal solid gold bathtub. I know which one is more important.

True, I was being a little flippant with my earlier comment (mind you, that would not be an issue for all the races given that GP2 and GP3 only act as support races for about half of the season). Either way, it does seem like a slightly odd thing to have cut back on given that it is hardly the most difficult or expensive thing to do.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:
This wrote:Some people feel you are really everywhere, and this presence make them feel uncomfortable and insecure. They probably feel like you're pushing things in a certain direction, simply because whenever something heads a certain direction, your name is in it somewhere, even if you didn't do anything, you always seem to be involved in some way or another. That's how it looks to others. I think it's nothing more than that, except for a few people who just can't stand you. But name me 10 forumites that aren't hated by someone at least?

I'm universally loved if it helps matters. :P

It's a shame Faustus has all those haters, though. :P

Really, we pretty much all like each other, as far as I can tell.

I hate you all! :)
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Faustus wrote:I hate you all! :)

I hate takagi_for_the_win.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

You hipster! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Aerospeed wrote:

The day when Kimi Räikkönen was German and Michael Schumacher Finnish. Or the day when they put Finnish flag upside down.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

CoopsII wrote:

So do I.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Bleu wrote:The day when Kimi Räikkönen was German and Michael Schumacher Finnish.

When did that happen? I only remember the flag mistake in the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix when Rosberg became Australian and Webber German.

Eddie Irvine's family was apparently threatened when the Argentine race organizers used an Irish flag instead of a British one in 1997.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Meatwad wrote:
Bleu wrote:The day when Kimi Räikkönen was German and Michael Schumacher Finnish.

When did that happen? I only remember the flag mistake in the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix when Rosberg became Australian and Webber German.

Eddie Irvine's family was apparently threatened when the Argentine race organizers used an Irish flag instead of a British one in 1997.

In the Moto2 race in Valencia 2011 Mika Kallio finished 2nd and Dominique Aegerter came 3rd but the Swiss flag was put on 2nd and the Finnish flag 3rd. So Kallio and Aegerter stood on the wrong steps of the podium
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Bleu wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:

The day when Kimi Räikkönen was German and Michael Schumacher Finnish. Or the day when they put Finnish flag upside down.

Oh yes.

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Thanks a lot Bernie.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:[img]image[/img]

Thanks a lot Bernie.

That looks like a small trumpet designed to wreck car aerodynamics.
RAK

Post by RAK »

East Londoner wrote:Image

Not content with their victories this season, the Mercedes team choose to trumpet their success in a rather more obvious way.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

To all those who complained about the engine noise I hope you're happy now.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

There's a part of me that wants 1999 back....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Why stop at a trumpet!? Let's not forget other wind instruments like saxophones, tubas and trombones!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The new engine regs received little fanfare until now...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Thanks a lot Bernie.

Yep, that will totally fix the sound issue. I still can't get what's wrong with the sound. Yes, it's not as good as the V10, but it's not that bad that it get's, to well, putting something like a "trumpet" on the back of your car.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This is a Photoshop, right? Tell me it's a Photoshop.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Thanks a lot Bernie.

That's horrifying. Simply horrifying.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dinizintheoven wrote:This is a Photoshop, right? Tell me it's a Photoshop.

I'm afraid not.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Whats next? Chaining the cars together to appease the [self-edited] who complain about the cars not racing wheel to wheel for 78 laps?
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Looks like something you see on the back of a 19 year-old's 1.0 litre Corsa. What a joke.

Has it actually changed the sound?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AdrianSutil wrote:Looks like something you see on the back of a 19 year-old's 1.0 litre Corsa. What a joke.

If you wanted to make it sound like a 1.0 litre Corsa, you'd somehow try to make the engine blast out really shite music.

I'm probably getting a 1.0 litre Corsa within the next few days, I promise not to do the same.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AdrianSutil wrote:Looks like something you see on the back of a 19 year-old's 1.0 litre Corsa. What a joke.

I think it has.
http://wtf1.co.uk/f1-megaphone-exhaust/
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!