2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by CoopsII »

DonTirri wrote:
BigG80 wrote:
But here is a really interesting idea. I wonder how Santander logos will work with the Martini livery. The car is certainly a step from Alonso's current Ferrari after all.

Funfact: IF Alonso does end up in Williams, he'd be the first driver to have driven for all of the classic "Big Four" teams (Benetton/Renault/Lotus, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren)

That is fun.

I did actually mention to Mrs Coopsii yesterday that Williams now seem to be lacking only a Big Name Driver to cement their place towards the sharp end. She wasn't remotely interested in anything I had to say as usual and I'm sure many feel Bo77as is that man but after reading some comments here and elsewhere Alonso to Team Willy next year seems a no-brainer.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Funfact: IF Alonso does end up in Williams, he'd be the first driver to have driven for all of the classic "Big Four" teams (Benetton/Renault/Lotus, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren)

That is fun.

I did actually mention to Mrs Coopsii yesterday that Williams now seem to be lacking only a Big Name Driver to cement their place towards the sharp end. She wasn't remotely interested in anything I had to say as usual and I'm sure many feel Bo77as is that man but after reading some comments here and elsewhere Alonso to Team Willy next year seems a no-brainer.

Alonso at Williams can end only one of two ways I think; either he inspires the winning mentality in them that they sorely lack, and takes them to title contention, or they horrendously mismanage him and the team becomes as toxic as McLaren in 2007. Knowing Williams, my money would be on the latter...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote: Knowing Williams, my money would be on the latter...

I wonder. Since Patrick Head's departure and Sir Frank taking a step back things seem a little less, well, volatile. From the outside looking in the team seems quite a unit, lots of togetherness in the TV pit shots. I have hope.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Williams depserately needs to find a way to terminate Massa's contract at minimal cost. He has become nothing short of a liability.

But who to replace him? They still need a driver who can lead car development (Bottas' two seasons is perhaps not enough experience in this area). Alonso will not abandon Ferrari for Williams, the Scuderia are much larger and with more potential to return to the front, even if Williams are on better form than Ferrari at this moment in time. Raikkonen is as much a liability as Massa, Rosberg and Hamilton are locked in at Mercedes and wouldn't have a reason to leave the fastest team in F1 anyway. So who is left? Who can drive the team forward alongside Bottas?

It has to be either Button or Grosjean. Yes, Button has not had the measure of rookie team-mate Magnussen, but we've seen K-Mag is a very talented driver, and Button at least has lots of experience without being quite the liability that Massa has been for many years now. Meanwhile, Grosjean may have less experience than Button, but at the end of 2014 he'll have three and a half years under his belt. That's not bad at all. He's quite possibly the best driver that's certainly available for hire at the moment. His form at the end of 2013 was fantastic. If he can recapture that, and Williams can stay in touch at the front, he can win races.

If McLaren releases Button and hires Grosjean (given Boullier is in charge, and Ronspeak is not happy with Jenson, it's very plausible), then Williams will likely go for Jenson. But if Honda pressure McLaren into retaining Button, then RG would make an excellent choice for Williams.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DonTirri wrote:
BigG80 wrote:
But here is a really interesting idea. I wonder how Santander logos will work with the Martini livery. The car is certainly a step from Alonso's current Ferrari after all.

Funfact: IF Alonso does end up in Williams, he'd be the first driver to have driven for all of the classic "Big Four" teams (Benetton/Renault/Lotus, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren)

Actually, a Mr Alain Prost has beaten him to it, having driven for McLaren, Renault, Ferrari and Williams in his career. As does Nigel Mansell and Jacky Ickx, who both qualify with Lotus, Ferrari, Williams and McLaren
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Way to spoil the funfact, Wizzie.
Just For One Day...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wizzie wrote:
DonTirri wrote:
BigG80 wrote:

Actually, a Mr Alain Prost has beaten him to it, having driven for McLaren, Renault, Ferrari and Williams in his career. As does Nigel Mansell and Jacky Ickx, who both qualify with Lotus, Ferrari, Williams and McLaren

Technically, DonTirri is right if the Renault/Lotus is restricted to mean Team Enstone ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

DonTirri wrote:Funfact: IF Alonso does end up in Williams, he'd be the first driver to have driven for all of the classic "Big Four" teams (The team that was first known as Toleman, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren)

Fixed. Fun fact can resume...

Biscione wrote:Williams depserately needs to find a way to terminate Massa's contract at minimal cost. He has become nothing short of a liability.

But who to replace him? They still need a driver who can lead car development (Bottas' two seasons is perhaps not enough experience in this area). Alonso will not abandon Ferrari for Williams, the Scuderia are much larger and with more potential to return to the front, even if Williams are on better form than Ferrari at this moment in time.

I'm not so sure. If Alonso had just signed for Ferrari I would agree, but to quote Blackadder, Alonso has been sitting at Ferrari since 2010, during which time millions have been spent, and the teams advanced no further than an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Rather random article I came across today at work - a company called DigitasLBi has announced a partnership with Simona De Silvestro and interestingly hints that she may well be a Sauber driver next year.

I suspect this more down to opportunistic guessing from the PR hack who wrote the article but interesting nonetheless!

http://www.digitaslbi.com/uk/news/uk/racing-driver-simona-de-silvestro-and-digitaslbi-sign-global-partnership/
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

We're half-way through the season, so I thought I'd dust off the the crystal ball and have a look at next year's potential lineups. Unfortunately, said crystal ball is actually from Poundland, and is currently sitting on a certain YouTuber's brown sofa. Therefore, this is what I'd like to see, in a realistic vein of course.

Mercedes

Nico Rosberg
Lewis Hamilton

It's not going to change, is it? No matter how much Hamilton makes ambiguous accusations about Rosberg's nationality/desire/gender/background/sexuality, the relationship seems to work alright.

Red Bull Racing - Renault

Daniel Ricciardo
Sebastian Vettel

Both drivers are the apples of Dr. Marko's one eye, and so I don't expect them to change anything. The only thing on the cards is for 2016, where Red Bull may start to develop their own engines from recycled drinks cans.

Williams - Mercedes

Valtteri Bottas
Felipe Nasr

Massa's been pretty good in qualifying, but a complete liability in the races. The "other" Felipe, on the other hand, has been consistent in GP2 and has really begun to show some good racecraft. I'd love to see Frank give Felipe One the heave-ho, who'd even blame his dog for poor performances, and try Felipe Two who's younger and hungrier.

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso
Jules Bianchi

Fernando's probably sick of 4th place, but with no other opportunities then he might have to cope with Ferrari for a little longer. Why Stefano Domenicali signed Raikkonen on anything longer than a one-year deal is a mystery, but the Finn has been more anonymous than long-suffering Everton right-back Tony Hibbert. Let's be honest, Bianchi's probably ready for the Scuderia now.

Force India - Mercedes

Nico Hulkenberg
Sergio Perez

Hulkenberg's metronomic pace has helped Force India immensely, and his points have been supplemented by Perez whenever the Mexican feels like it. Although many people think Hulkenberg would be a good fit for McLaren or Ferrari, I'm pretty sure he's on a multi-year deal. It's the best line-up the team has had in years, so I see it staying the same.

McLaren - Honda

Romain Grosjean
Kevin Magnussen

If you look at Button's manner in interviews, he looks like a man who's lost the love of the sport. If he's smart, he'll quit whilst he's still ahead of Magnussen. If not, you'd expect the Dane to beat him in 2015. One of the largest rumours of 2014 is that Grosjean will join McLaren, and I would be more than happy for this to happen. Please, Eric.

Toro Rosso - Renault

Daniil Kvyat
Carlos Sainz Jr.

Kvyat's been phenomenal, so he's a given. Sainz Jr's also running away with the FR3.5 title, so yeah.

Lotus - Mercedes

Pastor Maldonado
Jean-Eric Vergne

Maldonado's signed for 2015, so we assume Lotus have still got a hand in PDVSA's pocket. Lotus were in talks with Vergne in 2013, and he'd keep Total sweet. As long as he can shake off that dreadful bad luck, he'd be a capable replacement for Grosjean.

Marussia - Ferrari

Stoffel Vandoorne
Johnny Cecotto Jr.

I don't think Max Chilton will hang around for much longer. McLaren would definitely like to try and cut a deal to place Vandoorne in a Marussia, and if the price is right they might accept. As for Cecotto, he's upped his game significantly, and so he might be able to tempt John Booth with a little bit of money.

Sauber - Ferrari

Giedo van der Garde
Simona de Silvestro

Put it this way; if Monisha Kaltenborn has the balls (pardon the pun) to turf out both the current incumbents and put #VanDerGod and De Silvestro in the cars, they'd have gone from the dullest lineup to the most interesting. Giedo has MacGregor money and showed some talent at Caterham, whilst Simona has shown pace in IndyCar and is going through an F1 training program with the Swiss team.

Caterham - Renault

Jolyon Palmer
Robin Frijns

Albers might see fit to put his countryman in the Caterham, although his lack of backing throws up some issues. Palmer might sort that out though, and the Brit's been on prime form in GP2. The team's not tied to the GP2 team any more, so don't expect anyone like Haryanto in the car...although they'd probably have been smart enough not to in the first place.

Forza Rossa - Renault

$$$
$$$

Although Kolles still intends on bringing Forza Rossa to the F1 grid, his teams are naturally streamlined and income is usually expected from drivers. So, the seats are going to go to the highest bidders. Don't rule out a Sakon Yamamoto return, or anyone else who's made a career from the "rosebud" cheat.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:Williams depserately needs to find a way to terminate Massa's contract at minimal cost. He has become nothing short of a liability.

But who to replace him? They still need a driver who can lead car development (Bottas' two seasons is perhaps not enough experience in this area). Alonso will not abandon Ferrari for Williams, the Scuderia are much larger and with more potential to return to the front, even if Williams are on better form than Ferrari at this moment in time. Raikkonen is as much a liability as Massa, Rosberg and Hamilton are locked in at Mercedes and wouldn't have a reason to leave the fastest team in F1 anyway. So who is left? Who can drive the team forward alongside Bottas?

It has to be either Button or Grosjean. Yes, Button has not had the measure of rookie team-mate Magnussen, but we've seen K-Mag is a very talented driver, and Button at least has lots of experience without being quite the liability that Massa has been for many years now. Meanwhile, Grosjean may have less experience than Button, but at the end of 2014 he'll have three and a half years under his belt. That's not bad at all. He's quite possibly the best driver that's certainly available for hire at the moment. His form at the end of 2013 was fantastic. If he can recapture that, and Williams can stay in touch at the front, he can win races.

If McLaren releases Button and hires Grosjean (given Boullier is in charge, and Ronspeak is not happy with Jenson, it's very plausible), then Williams will likely go for Jenson. But if Honda pressure McLaren into retaining Button, then RG would make an excellent choice for Williams.

I'd agree that Button has some attractive qualities for a team like Williams - he is a solid accumulator of points and would probably compliment Bottas quite well in that regard.

As you say, Williams really need two drivers who can consistently bring in the points - now, only some of Massa's problems have been self inflicted, but it is his response to that adversity that is perhaps more worrying. Furthermore, whilst Massa has sometimes been on Bottas's pace, generally Bottas has had the upper hand over Massa - I feel that Button might be a little more evenly matched to Bottas.

Ataxia wrote:Sauber - Ferrari

Giedo van der Garde
Simona de Silvestro

Put it this way; if Monisha Kaltenborn has the balls (pardon the pun) to turf out both the current incumbents and put #VanDerGod and De Silvestro in the cars, they'd have gone from the dullest lineup to the most interesting. Giedo has MacGregor money and showed some talent at Caterham, whilst Simona has shown pace in IndyCar and is going through an F1 training program with the Swiss team.

Whilst it would be an interesting line up, to be honest I am not sure that I can even see a future for Sauber in 2015 - their current performance, although marginally improving, does not inspire confidence that they can do much in the WCC (perhaps 9th at best if they are lucky), which is likely to mean a sizeable financial hit if FOM cuts their payout. The Ukranian crisis raises the prospect of tightening financial sanctions against Russian businesses - which may mean Sirotkin's backers have their assets frozen or restricted - and I'm not sure if either van der Garde or de Silvestro could raise enough funding to cover the shortfall.
Furthermore, Peter Sauber has indicated that, although he could step in to save the team in the past, that he does not have the money to step in again if things turn sour - if Sauber are merely still alive in 2015, that in itself would be something of a miracle.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

One potential stumbling block with Grosjean going to McLaren is their Mobil 1 sponsorship. I'm almost certain Romain is personally backed by Total, rather than them sponsoring Lotus, so if he were to go to McLaren, he'd either have to loose that, or McLaren will kiss goodbye to one of their long term partners. I can't see Total hanging around at Lotus after Grosjean leaves even if they try to be appeased by a signing such as JEV - you only need to look at the level of Total branding this year on the car to see that they would much rather be on the Red Bull than a slow, unreliable Lotus!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
James1978

Post by James1978 »

If that line up as above does happen, then Alonso will be the only driver over 30 (a few will turn 30 during the year like Rosberg and Hamilton). Crumbs, I feel old.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Wizzie wrote:
DonTirri wrote:
BigG80 wrote:

I give you that, even though I DID mean Team Enstone (gotta keep that name in mind). I might be a "90's kid" when it comes to F1 (First one I watched was sadly enough 94 imola) but those 4 ARE the "big four" in my mind. And considering that between Piquet 83 and Button 09 every single drivers and constructors title was taken by one of them... Yeah.

Other drivers who can still make it one of each are Räikkönen if he moves to Williams (Yeah, right) and Button if he moves to Ferrari. (maybe?)
Prost, Mansell, Berger, Senna are the biggest names I can think of who got 3 out of the 4.

Anyhow, on topic: For Massa's replacement, one potential MIGHT be Lewis Hamilton. I wouldn't be TOO surprised if Lewis, should he lose the title this year, throws his toys out of the pram, takes his ball and gtfo's from Mercedes. He's already looking mighty displeased at Merc (constant whining about stuff during races), or Button if Lewis goes back to Macca (With Ron back in the team, certainly possible).
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DonTirri wrote:Anyhow, on topic: For Massa's replacement, one potential MIGHT be Lewis Hamilton. I wouldn't be TOO surprised if Lewis, should he lose the title this year, throws his toys out of the pram, takes his ball and gtfo's from Mercedes. He's already looking mighty displeased at Merc (constant whining about stuff during races), or Button if Lewis goes back to Macca (With Ron back in the team, certainly possible).

Yeah, that's not happening. Hamilton's got a contract for 2015 and Mercedes are looking to keep him for longer. Besides, why would you leave the team that has clearly the best car? Webber, for all his obvious distaste for the status, put up with being a number 2 driver to Vettel for years because he knew he wasn't going to get better cars anywhere else, even if they weren't designed around him at all. And Hamilton doesn't have to deal with that - he's allowed to race and beat Rosberg.
Everything's great.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

According to some sources in Mexico, the Mexican GP is coming back to the calendar from next year onwards...

Make of that what you will.

And there's been a rumour that Lotus will be replacing Grosjean for next season with...Jazeman Jaafar. (see second comment on this article).
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:According to some sources in Mexico, the Mexican GP is coming back to the calendar from next year onwards...

Make of that what you will.

And there's been a rumour that Lotus will be replacing Grosjean for next season with...Jazeman Jaafar. (see second comment on this article).

That comment about Jaafar looks like rubbish to me. I'd wager Petronas have no influence on Mercedes as far as engines go. Up until 2010 they had backed BMW and before them Sauber since the mid 1990s! In addition, the Petronas sponsorship would clash with PDVSA - note how little space is used by Total this year compared with PDVSA. If anything, Renault probably leant on Lotus to offload them after those apparent late payments and Mercedes welcomed them with open arms (and a hefty deposit no doubt) as McLaren are off to Honda next year.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The FIA considered this rule along with many others at the end of '02 when Ferrari were racking up 1-2 finish after 1-2 finish. It is a bit unfair on the leading teams; as Murray Walker stated in a Channel 9 interview at Suzuka 2002, "To penalise Ferrari for being successful is ludicrous!". Of course this was one of the rules that didn't make the cut, while others such as one-lap quali were introduced for 2003 to improve the quality of the sport.
On paper the ballast rule would close the field up and make things a little more random but it is another unnecessary gimmick. F1 is mostly fine as it is.

Murrary's opinion back in 2002
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Just something else that is completely unnecessary. More meddling, more mess, more confusion, more alienation of the casual fans dropping in and out who haven't a bloody clue what is going on and need a good 30 minutes of explanation to understand what is happening.

Just another example of why the team bosses and the sport's leaders need to be cleared away. They haven't got a clue.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Success Ballast would be the WORST rule in F1, yes even worse than double points or standing restarts.

You have millions of pounds being spent on these machines, hundreds of man hours and the best brains in the industry, only to have all that nerfed to improve the "show."

When you have an open formula, you get different car performances, get over it or change it to a spec series. Success Ballast takes the worst aspect of both!
Message me on Discord.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Of course, success ballast wouldn't be needed if the payments to all of the teams were equal! It would be another rule to overcome the inherent inequality in F1 which has been going on for years. Ditch the stupid payments and we might suddenly find that, shock horror, we have more of a level playing field! :o

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Success ballast? Sounds like some wanky idea from Touring Cars or something. They'd have blue shells if they could.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

If they end up introducing success ballast I'm done with it, really. I am tired of watching the ship sink and all that they can think about is that the ball isn't perfect enough. I get that they need to improve the show and overtaking and all to grab the casual but, hey, I went from die hard to casual (seeing that I only saw a few races this year) and that is in risk too. F1 essence is to build the fastest car that you can, get the fastest driver you can get and race that combination to try to win at the end of the day. This ruins the whole reason why F1 exists. It would be a pity...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Success ballast might work well in touring cars, where the whole point is to have closely-matched races between competitors who will therefore not be inclined to go off on a development spree, but in Formula One, which is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport and of motorsport development, it would be terrible. Formula One, unlike touring cars, isn't based on production vehicles which need to be balanced to prevent abuses of the homologation rules; each Formula One car is a prototype which is meant to develop throughout the year such that the car at the end of the season is noticeably different than the car at the start of the season.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Just something else that is completely unnecessary. More meddling, more mess, more confusion, more alienation of the casual fans dropping in and out who haven't a bloody clue what is going on and need a good 30 minutes of explanation to understand what is happening.

Just another example of why the team bosses and the sport's leaders need to be cleared away. They haven't got a clue.

The bigger issue tends to be that the team bosses are generally more interested in enhancing their own competitiveness, which they dress up in terms of "improving the show" or other such concerns - take di Montezemolo's proposal for shortening the races, which many read as really being about trying to protect Ferrari over rumours that their engine was not as fuel efficient as their rivals (something that does seem to be borne out in the races, as Mercedes seem to be more fuel efficient as well as producing more power). Even if the pie is being shrunk by incompetence, the teams are still more obsessed with fighting for a bigger slice of the pie rather than looking to the wider picture and realising that they'd be far better off from keeping the same slice of a much bigger pie...

Perhaps the one thing that sums the situation up is the fact that the team bosses are asking for Flavio Briatore for advice on how to make the sport more popular - say what you like, you doubt that Max Mosely would be formally appointing a man as unpopular as Briatore to a commission to make the sport more popular...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

This isn't touring cars, ffs.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The real fans of Formula 1 don't care if one team is more dominant than anyone else, and casual fans won't want to see an artificial series, it doesn't work anywhere.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:Perhaps the one thing that sums the situation up is the fact that the team bosses are asking for Flavio Briatore for advice on how to make the sport more popular.

Holy buckets, he was the guy who watched a Touring Car race at Silverstone in the mid 90s and thought F1 races should be split into two aswell.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I actually like the idea because it works well in touring cars. But there is no way it would ever actually happen
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:

I actually like the idea because it works well in touring cars. But there is no way it would ever actually happen

What works well in touring cars does not always work well in single seaters.

Example: loads of aero is a single-seaters staple. WTCC tried it... and is the worst racing series this year because of it.
Everything's great.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I honestly think Kimi will retire at the end of this year, It seems like once again his heart isn't in it anymore. I am a bit sad as I was a fan of his in the past, but he seemingly just wants to bathplüg off and drink alcohol
Last edited by Nuppiz on 27 Jul 2014, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Family forum, please
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

OsellaFA1L wrote:I honestly think Kimi will retire at the end of this year, It seems like once again his heart isn't in it anymore. I am a bit sad as I was a fan of his in the past, but he seemingly just wants to bathplüg off and drink alcohol

I did wonder if the wording of his press release after Qualifying was an attempt to shift the blame from himself to the team. I wonder if after scoring a decentish result yesterday he shifts the attention back to himself again :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

OsellaFA1L wrote:I honestly think Kimi will retire at the end of this year, It seems like once again his heart isn't in it anymore. I am a bit sad as I was a fan of his in the past, but he seemingly just wants to bathplüg off and drink alcohol

Of course. I do wonder though what would he be capable of if he was actually interested. I also wonder why this lack of interest of his seems to only manifest when he gets beaten by his team-mate... :roll:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Might as well attempt this, however wrong I might be come season's end:

Mercedes:
1) Nico Rosberg
2) Lewis Hamilton
It would be silly for either driver to leave the team. And while Hamilton is making noises about McLaren, right now Mercedes is in 1st and McLaren 6th.

Red Bull - Renault:
3) Daniel Ricciardo
4) Sebastian Vettel
I don't see a change here; unless Vettel gets incredibly fed up and wants out (which I don't see happening) the team will stay the same. 2016 will be interesting though, if they are dropping Renault altogether.

Williams - Mercedes:
5) Valterri Bottas
6) Felipe Nasr
Bottas clearly deserves to stay, that much is said. And while I don't know much of Nasr (I don't follow GP2 too closely) he does seem to be ready for F1 from what I have heard. Massa's qualifying record is good, but what matters most are results, which he is lacking. I do see him in sports cars however.

Ferrari:
7) Fernando Alonso
8) Jules Bianchi
Alternate: Kimi Raikkonen
Ferrari needs changes, that much is said. Alonso wants to fight for the championship rather than 4th place, and while the team always produces a promising car it rarely keeps those promises. As for Bianchi, he is more than ready for Ferrari. If Raikkonen were to be retained however, it will be more of the same from this year.

Force India:
9) Nico Hulkenberg
10) Sergio Perez
Both drivers have speed, and the car has been incredibly good, beating McLaren and hassling the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull. While many say Hulkenberg should be at Ferrari or McLaren, truth be told Alonso is flattering his car (again) and McLaren have not come up with championship machinery (again). So it'd be wise for him to stay at the team. As for Perez, he needs to reign in his impulses, but otherwise much of what is said about Hulkenberg can be said about Perez as well.

McLaren - Honda
11) Romain Grosjean
Alternate: Jenson Button
12) Kevin Magnussen
Alternate: Fernando Alonso
I do like Button; I think he is a smart driver, but I do think he lost some of his motivation as of late, and with Boullier at the helm signing Grosjean is more likely a matter of when rather a matter of if. Magnussen will stay though; he has shown pace. Button though, if he were to be retained, would be most likely be beaten by Magnussen. I have also heard rumors of Alonso returning to McLaren, but I think it is more likely to see Max Chilton being hired by Red Bull than to see Alonso return to the Woking squad.

Toro Rosso:
13) Daniil Kvyat
14) Carlos Sainz Jr.
As Ataxia said, Kvyat has been phenominal, and with Sainz Jr schooling everyone in FR3.5, this lineup is more than likely. Jean-Eric Vergne I see off to a Red Bull affiliated sports car team; it makes sense for him at this point.

Lotus - Mercedes:
15) Jenson Button
Alternate choice: Kamui Kobayashi, Romain Grosjean
16) Pastor Maldonado
Maldonado is a given, being signed for 2015. Putting Button here is a bit of a stretch, granted, though I do see it happening. He would be a great asset for the team, hoping to recover from this disastrous year. It's an odd line up, but I think it'll work. Alternatively, Kobayashi would be a good choice for replacing Grosjean, and it is also likely that Grosjean might stay at Lotus, though if he does will that motivation stay with him?

Marussia - Ferrari:
17) Max Chilton
Alternate Choice: Kimi Raikkonen
18) Johnny Cecotto Jr.
Max brings in money; it's why he is here and gaffe at Canada aside he has been finishing, though next year I see being his last. Cecotto has improved and can bring in funds, which are necessary for the small outfit. Me mentioning Raikkonen is a bit of a joke, granted, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him being farmed out to Marussia as a way to finish his contract.

Sauber - Ferrari:
19) Giedo Van de Garde
20) Esteban Gutierrez
This is ultimately the lineup I see happening for the team, if they will even survive for next year. Van de Garde has shown pace with Caterham and brings in money. Gutierrez though just brings in money. While I do want to see de Silvestro get a seat, their finances are dire and that means turning to drivers that have funds rather than fire. That being said, de Silvestro does have backing from a nuclear energy firm, though whether or not that is popular with F1 and the media at the moment is unknown.

Caterham - Renault:
21) $$$
22) $$$
Much like Sauber they are in financial troubles, and while I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Frijns return I also wouldn't be surprised to see Albers himself back in the car (when's the last time F1 had an owner/driver?). It also means we might see drivers from prior teams with pay drivers; a line up of Felipe Massa and Sakon Yamamoto wouldn't surprise me in the least, though like Sauber, it is unclear if the team will manage to survive for next year.

Forza Rossa - Renault:
23) $$$
24) $$$
If I remember how HRT was run, expect pay drivers. Though I'm halfway tempted to see a lineup of Marcus Ericcson and Sakon Yamamoto. It'd be amusing.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Regarding success ballast, the reason why JGTC/Super GT has the rule (and pushes it aggressively compared to any other series) is to keep the spectacle high at all times during the races. This is why the championship is almost always decided at the very last race, and even then, the champion would often came out not winning any of the actual races at all (see 2003, where both the GT500 AND GT300 champions were winless). And sometimes, I view that as stupid.

:roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

DanielPT wrote:

Of course. I do wonder though what would he be capable of if he was actually interested. I also wonder why this lack of interest of his seems to only manifest when he gets beaten by his team-mate... :roll:

You mean he could've suddenly become a bad driver from last year to this year then?

Why do most people, from journalists to fans, seem to follow this "kimi is not interested" bandwagon?
I see no facts, only vague impressions based on who knows what.. For sure™ he's had a surprisingly bad year and it's taking a bit longer than it should to recover. But, he's working at it as he's supposed to, except without making a fuss about it like Alonso (ie: posting on twitter that he'll spend the week in the sim)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

lgaquino wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Of course. I do wonder though what would he be capable of if he was actually interested. I also wonder why this lack of interest of his seems to only manifest when he gets beaten by his team-mate... :roll:

You mean he could've suddenly become a bad driver from last year to this year then?

No, I was just being ironic. I mock all this "kimi is not interested" idea.

lgaquino wrote:Why do most people, from journalists to fans, seem to follow this "kimi is not interested" bandwagon?
I see no facts, only vague impressions based on who knows what.. For sure™ he's had a surprisingly bad year and it's taking a bit longer than it should to recover. But, he's working at it as he's supposed to, except without making a fuss about it like Alonso (ie: posting on twitter that he'll spend the week in the sim)

Not to mention that this "he is not interested" stuff implies that he is completely unprofessional. Can an unprofessional driver thrive in F1? I don't think so. For instance, Juan Montoya became disinterested and was given the boot at McLaren with Kimi also driving there at the time. And Montoya used to match a younger and hungrier Raikkonen most of the time. Yes, Kimi could have lost his flame when he finally was WC. But in this case what was that 2 years ago at Lotus and early last year at Lotus? Sure, at the end of the year he wasn't being paid, but by then Grosjean had improved and started to match and beat Raikkonen too. Sure, as a driver gets older it is normal to lose some edge but Alonso isn't a young driver anymore and he seems to have no trouble in smashing Raikkonen to pieces. Dispite all this, I still can understand why Kimi fans prefer to go with "he is not interested" instead of recognising that their man is not what he once was.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

oops, didn' t get the sarcasm there ;)

yeah, he's surely not on the same level as in 2003-2005. At least not in terms of what we can see from the TV. But it's difficult to say even that, as for instance he claims some of his best races were in 2009! it's difficult to properly *know* from the outside.
Alonso is an interesting figure. He's not particularly faster than any top driver [i think], but he is however a monster. I can't really describe it any other way hehe. Sure the car is tailored to his driving style and all, but he's got an incredible habbit of putting it where it doesn't belong every.single.time. I find it almost unbelievable...
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:Not to mention that this "he is not interested" stuff implies that he is completely unprofessional. Can an unprofessional driver thrive in F1? I don't think so. For instance, Juan Montoya became disinterested and was given the boot at McLaren with Kimi also driving there at the time. And Montoya used to match a younger and hungrier Raikkonen most of the time. Yes, Kimi could have lost his flame when he finally was WC. But in this case what was that 2 years ago at Lotus and early last year at Lotus? Sure, at the end of the year he wasn't being paid, but by then Grosjean had improved and started to match and beat Raikkonen too. Sure, as a driver gets older it is normal to lose some edge but Alonso isn't a young driver anymore and he seems to have no trouble in smashing Raikkonen to pieces. Dispite all this, I still can understand why Kimi fans prefer to go with "he is not interested" instead of recognising that their man is not what he once was.

Part of it is probably a consequence of the fact that he has admitted in the past that he has had trouble in maintaining his motivation when he is struggling, which I guess makes people wonder if his current malaise is self inflicted.

For example, after the 2008 season he informed Turun Sanomat that, when he started to struggle to set the car up to his liking, he lost interest in fighting for the title and effectively gave up on that season. Now, it's worth bearing in mind that he spent much of that season driving a car that many considered to be at least as good as the MP4/23 and probably slightly better (particularly on braking, where McLaren were forced to revert to an older brake set up as part of the penalties imposed after "Spygate") and spent at least half of the season close to or at the front of the WDC (at the halfway point, he was equal with Massa and Hamilton on points).
The fact that, when things became harder, he eventually lost heart when he had the chance of becoming a double world champion perhaps makes people wonder if, when he is fighting for lesser glories, his motivation might drop even more rapidly. Furthermore, Kimi has indicated that he is giving consideration to retiring for good in the next few years; again, given that quite a few drivers in the past have shown signs of losing interest if they've established a retirement deadline and are seemingly going through the motions, I suppose some might suspect Kimi of the same behaviour.

Now, whether there is any truth in that is another matter - only Kimi can really answer that point, and at the moment he is giving away nothing. At the very least, it seems that a fair number of his issues seem to stem from the fact that he is very sensitive to the handling of a car, and sometimes almost a bit too sensitive - with the F2008, he could never quite get the front end of the car to turn in quite as he wanted it to, whilst at Lotus there were times when he also had issues with the steering that saw his form slump dramatically.

Just look to his performance in the 2012 Monaco GP, a circuit where Lotus were expected to be quite competitive - instead, Kimi spent much of the weekend off the pace after complaining that he disliked the Monaco steering rack the team had developed specifically for him. After refusing to do any laps in FP1 until the car was changed, the loss of practise time meant that the car was simply not set up properly and therefore cost him dearly in the race, where he suffered from higher than anticipated tyre wear. With the F14T reportedly not being the easiest car to drive, since it appears that the energy recovery under braking is not as smooth as on the Mercedes powered cars, it seems that those set up issues are hitting Kimi harder than ever this time around - that, I suspect, is the biggest issue that he has to deal with.