The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
wsrgo

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:So, the GP2 order has been turned on it's head in practice. Both the Lazarus kekwagons outpaced both Carlins and both DAMS', who apparently forgot to bring their epic speed hax setup this weekend. Racing Engineering looks strong, with Coletti fastest and Marciello 3rd fastest.

Come on, Conor :D
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

What a Race!

Nothing else needs to be said.
Message me on Discord.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I'll be absolutely bewildered if British Drivers don't lock out the GP3 podium tomorrow or don't get at least 1 driver up there. Seriously 6 of the top 8 were British. You've got more chance of God Save The Queen reigning supreme there than in F1 and GP2 combined
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

https://twitter.com/123pnz/status/490523477473247232Carmen, it helps if you actually steer the car.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh god, that first lap in the GP2 sprint race. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Ah, the Trident we expected are back, if only briefly :D
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I'll be absolutely bewildered if British Drivers don't lock out the GP3 podium tomorrow or don't get at least 1 driver up there. Seriously 6 of the top 8 were British. You've got more chance of God Save The Queen reigning supreme there than in F1 and GP2 combined

Eriksson got penalised for being too fast under yellow flags, so that made it British 1-2-3-4-5.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

So, Max Verstappen is to become a Mercedes junior driver.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:So, Max Verstappen is to become a Mercedes DTM driver.

Fixed.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:
Ataxia wrote:So, Max Verstappen is to become a Mercedes DTM driver.

Fixed.

Sigh, I guess Max could end up becoming another Robert Wickens, destined never to break into F1 and show his capabilities to the world. And we know Verstappen's are very special.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Great fuggen job Johnny. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

what.a.race.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
W12

Post by W12 »

AxelP800 wrote:what.a.race.
This. Massive crash at the end :shock:
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

W12 wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:what.a.race.
This. Massive crash at the end :shock:

Well it has an implied/implicit/knotted/veiled meaning into it.

I'm from Indonesia, and you can see what happened to Haryanto. You will understand
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AxelP800 wrote:I'm from Indonesia, and you can see what happened to Haryanto. You will understand

Something like bias, perchance?

The safety car pretty much killed off that race; you'd have expected Nasr, Palmer and perhaps Marciello to have made a push through the field. Shame (for me at least) to see Dillmann get pushed out of the points by Berthon, who somehow was still running...but hey, that's the nature of the beast.

The GP3 was actually pretty interesting, I daresay! Pleased to see Arden actually do something for once...

EDIT: Woah, hold up, both Racing Engineering drivers were given 20 second penalties...so unfortunately both Lello and Coletti have lost their points for the feature race. A big shame.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:EDIT: Woah, hold up, both Racing Engineering drivers were given 20 second penalties...so unfortunately both Lello and Coletti have lost their points for the feature race. A big shame.

I won't be shedding any tears for Coletti, the guy deserves it after wrecking Julian Leal's car. :|

Lello, however, seems like he was just caught unawares by Vandoorne and got burned hard for it. Poor guy.
Everything's great.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Salamander wrote:
Ataxia wrote:EDIT: Woah, hold up, both Racing Engineering drivers were given 20 second penalties...so unfortunately both Lello and Coletti have lost their points for the feature race. A big shame.

I won't be shedding any tears for Coletti, the guy deserves it after wrecking Julian Leal's car. :|

Lello, however, seems like he was just caught unawares by Vandoorne and got burned hard for it. Poor guy.

Colleti did seem like a bit of a nutter at the start of the race, lello just got unlucky again but is a fast driver, if I were the stewards I would penalise berthton (sp?) for have canamasas off, not that sergio is renowned for his clean driving...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew wrote:Colleti did seem like a bit of a nutter at the start of the race, lello just got unlucky again but is a fast driver, if I were the stewards I would penalise berthton (sp?) for have canamasas off, not that sergio is renowned for his clean driving...

Totally agree about Berthon. Absolutely ridiculous nothing was done about him.
Everything's great.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Salamander wrote:
andrew wrote:Colleti did seem like a bit of a nutter at the start of the race, lello just got unlucky again but is a fast driver, if I were the stewards I would penalise berthton (sp?) for have canamasas off, not that sergio is renowned for his clean driving...

Totally agree about Berthon. Absolutely ridiculous nothing was done about him.

Not as bad as spa a couple of years ago when sergio tried to have nat through a wall, but still worth a penalty in my opinion, you turn right when the track bends to the right not just head straight into a driver who is known for accidents, ruining the end of the race.
Not sure was nasr was on about, I don't think palmer had him off, well palmer did not seem to do anything that nasr didn't.

colleti is a maniac when defending, but I think he wasted his gp2 chance last year, maybe replace him with frijns, and finally why is Carmen jorda in a car, she is frigging useless.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sorry for double post.

Race 2 palmer under investigation for forcing nasr off, and checotto is a noob.

Edit palmer fine no penealty, why on earth did colleti get a penealty
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

andrew wrote:why on earth did colleti get a penealty

For driving into Negrao, presumably, given that it was for causing a collision, and the earlier incident with Cecotto warranted no further action.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ben Gilbert wrote:
andrew wrote:why on earth did colleti get a penealty

For driving into Negrao, presumably, given that it was for causing a collision, and the earlier incident with Cecotto warranted no further action.

Yeah, using an Arden as a brake isn't the best idea Coletti's ever come up with :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115187

Nasr accused Palmer of forcing him off track and now Palmer says Nasr driving was dangerous. This will be interesting in the next races.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115187

Nasr accused Palmer of forcing him off track and now Palmer says Nasr driving was dangerous. This will be interesting in the next races.

Well, it was. For all Nasr's whining, Palmer never forced him into the grass. Much as I'd like to not see anyone but Palmer win the championship, Nasr is doing a great job of making me actually want to support Palmer over him.
Everything's great.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Palmer should try racing with the trident boys
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, Max Verstappen, who entered the Mercedes Junior (DTM) Driver, now has backing from RedBull... Now I wonder: did he left the Mercedes Driver Programme and entered the RedBull one... And now it looks the rumour that he'll drive for Toro Rosso next year is not that, hum, stupid at all.

https://twitter.com/redbullmotors/statu ... 6161313792
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Miguel98 wrote:So, Max Verstappen, who entered the Mercedes Junior (DTM) Driver, now has backing from RedBull... Now I wonder: did he left the Mercedes Driver Programme and entered the RedBull one... And now it looks the rumour that he'll drive for Toro Rosso next year is not that, hum, stupid at all.

No, it is still stupid, simply because Verstappen:

A) Hasn't been out of karts for more than a year.
B) Very likely doesn't qualify for a Superlicense at this stage.
C) Has only competed in European Formula 3, the most recent champion of which is in GP2 and most certainly doesn't look like jumping to Formula 1 for 2015.
D) Isn't even leading European F3 - in fact, he's nearly 4 race wins behind Esteban Ocon with 9 races left in the season.
E) Is still not even 17 years old.
F) Has his father as a living example of being rushed far too quickly to Formula 1.

Even if the rumour has any truth to it, Toro Rosso would be unbelievably moronic to put Verstappen in the car ahead of Carlos Sainz Jr or Alex Lynn, both of whom are leading their respective championships, the reigning champions of which both moved immediately to Formula 1 and have put generally favourable results on the board.
Everything's great.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Miguel98 wrote:So, Max Verstappen, who entered the Mercedes Junior (DTM) Driver, now has backing from RedBull... Now I wonder: did he left the Mercedes Driver Programme and entered the RedBull one... And now it looks the rumour that he'll drive for Toro Rosso next year is not that, hum, stupid at all.

I think it was a bad move from Max. Vettel and Ricciardo are young and will stay in Red Bull for many years. Maybe Vettel leaves the team in the next 5 years for racing for Ferrari, after Alonso retirement, but this probably won't happen until the end of 2016 season. Not only this, but there a lot of more concurrency in RB Junior programme. Kvyat are doing very well and will be the Vettel replacement if he keeps this performance.

Hamilton and Rosberg aren't young drivers (also I believe Hamilton will leaves Mercedes in the future) and there less concurrency in Mercedes junior driver programme.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:I think it was a bad move from Max. Vettel and Ricciardo are young and will stay in Red Bull for many years. Maybe Vettel leaves the team in the next 5 years for racing for Ferrari, after Alonso retirement, but this probably won't happen until the end of 2016 season. Not only this, but there a lot of more concurrency in RB Junior programme. Kvyat are doing very well and will be the Vettel replacement if he keeps this performance.

Hamilton and Rosberg aren't young drivers (also I believe Hamilton will leaves Mercedes in the future) and there less concurrency in Mercedes junior driver programme.

Yes, but what you're forgetting is that the Mercedes junior driver program doesn't develop drivers for F1. It develops them for DTM. :P
Everything's great.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Salamander wrote:No, it is still stupid, simply because Verstappen:

C) Has only competed in European Formula 3, the most recent champion of which is in GP2 and most certainly doesn't look like jumping to Formula 1 for 2015.
D) Isn't even leading European F3 - in fact, he's nearly 4 race wins behind Esteban Ocon with 9 races left in the season.
F) Has his father as a living example of being rushed far too quickly to Formula 1.

Even if the rumour has any truth to it, Toro Rosso would be unbelievably moronic to put Verstappen in the car ahead of Carlos Sainz Jr or Alex Lynn, both of whom are leading their respective championships, the reigning champions of which both moved immediately to Formula 1 and have put generally favourable results on the board.

Exactly. Max shows a lot of promise and it's clear he's a good driver (for a guy at his age anyway), but he's far too young and inexperienced to start venturing into upper categories right now, especially Formula 1. He needs time to grow and mature as both a person and a driver. Give him a couple of years at least with some series championships under his belt, and sticking him in a team like Toro Rosso wouldn't be too bad of an idea.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The amazing thing is that Ocon's leading F3 (and like Verstappen, he's also in his first season), yet since his dad wasn't an F1 driver it's taken the pressure completely off. I guess the Lotus driver development team like to keep things low-key, which is kind of refreshing since it means the driver can just perform without any strings attached.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Mexicola wrote:

Exactly. Max shows a lot of promise and it's clear he's a good driver (for a guy at his age anyway), but he's far too young and inexperienced to start venturing into upper categories right now, especially Formula 1. He needs time to grow and mature as both a person and a driver. Give him a couple of years at least with some series championships under his belt, and sticking him in a team like Toro Rosso wouldn't be too bad of an idea.
It is pretty much a given that Carlos Sainz Jr will drive for Toro Rosso next year. Probably Verstappen will take his position as the third/reserve driver combined with a year at the Red Bull aligned Carlin Motorsport in Formula Renault 3.5. With Vettel's contract at Red Bull expiring at the end of 2015 and Räikkönen retiring at the same time, Ferrari has a seat available that Vettel wouldn't mind to sit in. The vacancy at Red Bull will, given his performance so far, be filled by Kvyat. This leaves a spot open at Toro Rosso that Verstappen can fill very nicely. Putting him straight into F1 would be ridiculous, but with one year extra experience in Formula 3.5 it would be reasonable in my mind.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Salamander wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I think it was a bad move from Max. Vettel and Ricciardo are young and will stay in Red Bull for many years. Maybe Vettel leaves the team in the next 5 years for racing for Ferrari, after Alonso retirement, but this probably won't happen until the end of 2016 season. Not only this, but there a lot of more concurrency in RB Junior programme. Kvyat are doing very well and will be the Vettel replacement if he keeps this performance.

Yes, but what you're forgetting is that the Mercedes junior driver program doesn't develop drivers for F1. It develops them for DTM. :P

Really? So, this isn't a bad move at all from Max.
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:

I think it was a bad move from Max. Vettel and Ricciardo are young and will stay in Red Bull for many years. Maybe Vettel leaves the team in the next 5 years for racing for Ferrari, after Alonso retirement, but this probably won't happen until the end of 2016 season. Not only this, but there a lot of more concurrency in RB Junior programme. Kvyat are doing very well and will be the Vettel replacement if he keeps this performance.

Whilst Ricciardo is the youngest of that quartet, being aged 25, there is not a large difference in age between Vettel, Rosberg and Hamilton given that Vettel is 27 and the latter two are both 29. Realistically, Hamilton and Rosberg will probably look to remain at Mercedes for a couple of years at least - Rosberg has already signed a contract extension and Hamilton is reportedly in the middle of negotiations with Mercedes to follow suit, so I can't see them moving that soon.
However, there is the possibility that developing connections with Mercedes could have helped negotiate a seat at Force India - di Resta's bid for a seat there was reportedly helped by the fact that Force India wanted to develop a technical partnership with Mercedes after agreeing to use their engines.

As for Red Bull, to be honest I can't see the parent team changing quickly - yes, Ferrari might make a bid to hire Vettel if Alonso or Kimi were to leave, and the latter has indicated that he might move on after the 2015 season, but Vettel is only likely to move if there are signs that Ferrari are either on the up or Red Bull are on the slide, neither of which yet look like they'll come to fruition.

The Dutch Bear wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

It is pretty much a given that Carlos Sainz Jr will drive for Toro Rosso next year. Probably Verstappen will take his position as the third/reserve driver combined with a year at the Red Bull aligned Carlin Motorsport in Formula Renault 3.5. With Vettel's contract at Red Bull expiring at the end of 2015 and Räikkönen retiring at the same time, Ferrari has a seat available that Vettel wouldn't mind to sit in. The vacancy at Red Bull will, given his performance so far, be filled by Kvyat. This leaves a spot open at Toro Rosso that Verstappen can fill very nicely. Putting him straight into F1 would be ridiculous, but with one year extra experience in Formula 3.5 it would be reasonable in my mind.

You would expect Sainz Jr to be moved up into F1 next season if he continues his current trajectory, with Vergne being sidelined to create space for him, which would create a vacancy in Formula Renault 3.5 that he could then fill.

The alternative might be that Lynn is moved up into FR3.5, with Verstappen moved into GP3 as Lynn's replacement (a GP3 car is still a step up on a Formula 3 car given that GP3 cars are now supposed to produce about 400bhp), then on from there into FR3.5 and then perhaps Toro Rosso. Max has shown potential so far, but you'd expect that the greater experience of Sainz Jr and Lynn, not to mention their success in their respective series, to tip things in their favour.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I wonder what will happen to Gasly. Still only 18 but he might be in difficult situation considering he's behind Sainz jr in WSbR and then Lynn and Verstappen are coming up from lower level.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Bleu wrote:I wonder what will happen to Gasly. Still only 18 but he might be in difficult situation considering he's behind Sainz jr in WSbR and then Lynn and Verstappen are coming up from lower level.

Gasly's the one making waves on the sly. He's in his first season of FR3.5, and he's already 3rd in the championship...he's got time on his side. And he sounds like a Pokemon, so go figure!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:
Bleu wrote:I wonder what will happen to Gasly. Still only 18 but he might be in difficult situation considering he's behind Sainz jr in WSbR and then Lynn and Verstappen are coming up from lower level.

Gasly's the one making waves on the sly. He's in his first season of FR3.5, and he's already 3rd in the championship...he's got time on his side. And he sounds like a Pokemon, so go figure!

Thanks, I won't be able to think of his name without doing so in a "haunted house" voice now!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Odd? That's par for the course for Trident. :P
Everything's great.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Salamander wrote:

Odd? That's par for the course for Trident. :P

Great fuggen job Trident. :lol: