2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Paul Hayes

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by Paul Hayes »

So, Luca Di Montezemolo has left Ferrari... Truly, we are living in the End of Days!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Hah! More like he received a phone call and was told to reconsider and by reconsider I mean quit.

The end of an era and, all things considered, it was a pretty good 23 year era for the F1 team. Many lows obviously but the highs were pretty historic. A pity they never signed Senna, though.

They can't complain given the amount of success they had in those 23 years although outside Schumacher, they only got one WDC and two WCC. Still he gets the merit from assembling the most sucessful team ever in Todt, Brawn and Schumacher just to name the most famous. I find him to be increasingly stuck in the past for this decade.

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:This probably belongs in the Rantbox, but I am seriously sick of people constantly trying to link Senna to Ferrari. It never happened, so people should shut the bathplug up and not try to find any tenuous link between Ferrari and Senna

From what I read, CoopsII was only sighing about Ferrari not reaching for Senna, just as it is a pity that Senna never drove for Tyrrell. No link is required in this case. Overreaction much?
Last edited by DanielPT on 10 Sep 2014, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:This probably belongs in the Rantbox, but I am seriously sick of people constantly trying to link Senna to Ferrari. It never happened, so people should shut the bathplug up and not try to find any tenuous link between Ferrari and Senna

It probably does belong in the Rantbox but even in there I'd tell you to pipe down and stop being a fool. If you re-read the post you'll see I wasnt linking anyone to anything I was merely commenting that in my opinion it's a pity Senna didnt drive for Ferrari much like, in my opinion, it's a pity Button now probably won't drive for Ferrari.

But thanks for pointing out that it never happened, that really needed clearing up.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:

It probably does belong in the Rantbox but even in there I'd tell you to pipe down and stop being a fool. If you re-read the post you'll see I wasnt linking anyone to anything I was merely commenting that in my opinion it's a pity Senna didnt drive for Ferrari much like, in my opinion, it's a pity Button now probably won't drive for Ferrari.

But thanks for pointing out that it never happened, that really needed clearing up.

The post wasn't intended to be an insult towards you, sorry if you were offended. I was just expressing my annoyance at people who harp on about and try to dubiously link Senna and Ferrari, both at this forum and elsewhere. I certainly did not mean claim you were linking them yourself
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The post wasn't intended to be an insult towards you, sorry if you were offended. I was just expressing my annoyance at people who harp on about and try to dubiously link Senna and Ferrari, both at this forum and elsewhere. I certainly did not mean claim you were linking them yourself

Offended? Me? You'll have to try much harder than that, boy.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The post wasn't intended to be an insult towards you, sorry if you were offended. I was just expressing my annoyance at people who harp on about and try to dubiously link Senna and Ferrari, both at this forum and elsewhere. I certainly did not mean claim you were linking them yourself

Offended? Me? You'll have to try much harder than that, boy.

A tip for you RonDenisDeletraz: You just need to call him hipster Ariel and he will go berserk! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:A tip for you RonDenisDeletraz: You just need to call him hipster Ariel and he will go berserk! :lol:

You're now dead to me.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:A tip for you RonDenisDeletraz: You just need to call him hipster Ariel and he will go berserk! :lol:

You're now dead to me.

If the little mermaid was an Action movie that was the one liner Ariel would've went with when Eric killed Ursula! :lol:
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

DanielPT wrote:They can't complain given the amount of success they had in those 23 years although outside Schumacher, they only got one WDC and two WCC. Still he gets the merit from assembling the most sucessful team ever in Todt, Brawn and Schumacher just to name the most famous. I find him to be increasingly stuck in the past for this decade.

Its partly his own fault though as apparently Montezemolo and Todt got into a stushie over Schumacher post 2006, Todt wanted to keep Schumacher while Luca wanted Raikkonnen. I can see Luca's reasoning for thinking ahead but he got caught out by Schumacher Todt and Brawn and other key figures all leaving at around the same time without a proper transition, and Raikkonnen losing motivation after his 2007 title really bit both Luca and Ferrari in the behind. I think Alonso's signing was partly to reverse it but Alonso has only been able to do so much.

I just hope its not suits that get put in charge, and its someone with a racing grounding that replaces him - the last thing F1 needs is Ferrari to turn into Toyota F1
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

In addition to Luca de M leaving I have seen reported that the Finance Director at Santander has passed away; apparently very pro F1, Ferrari & Alonso so there may yet be further upheaval at Ferrari.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Collieafc wrote:I just hope its not suits that get put in charge, and its someone with a racing grounding that replaces him - the last thing F1 needs is Ferrari to turn into Toyota F1

I think that's where they are now in many ways. Also, the days of F1 depending on Ferrari to give it validity, I think, are gone. Equally, if Ferrari did do one (as they've threatened to in the past) any benefit to the series they joined would be short lived as all racing series' around the globe seem to be struggling.
Just For One Day...
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Funnily enough I just posted the opposite in the Monte walks thread.

F1 does appear to need Ferrari as the F1 brand and the TV broadcasters are increasingly mixing heritage footage, heritage F1 cars and heritage drivers into the F1 watching experience. There is a desire it seems to ram home the link between what we watch now and what was raced in the past.

Personally I am inclined to agree with you in that there is precious little link between the old and new. Just like beautiful soulful music can be broken down into boring mathematical algorithms, so the current teams have lost what made motor racing sparkle because of the minute examination and analysis of every single component.

Of course I am not just blaming the teams in this. The FIA is also to blame with their evermore constrictive regulations.

And even they are not entirely to blame either. The great ideas of racing cars such as aero, mid engine layout, semi auto gearboxes etc can't be unlearned so either you have an unlimited potentially lethal series or you have a tamed down series that pretends one of the epoch making ideas doesn't exist.

I'm rambling a little here but I hope you can see what I am trying to say.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'd hate to be the one who revives this argument, but Senna actually once was in talks with Ferrari between 1990 and 1991. This is according to Thierry Boutsen himself, whom Senna would have apparently picked as teammate.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

tommykl wrote:

I'd hate to be the one who revives this argument, but Senna actually once was in talks with Ferrari between 1990 and 1991. This is according to Thierry Boutsen himself, whom Senna would have apparently picked as teammate.

Asides from that, Luca di Montezemolo has stated that he invited Senna to his house in April 1994 for contractual talks, where they discussed his contractual obligations with Williams and how those could be resolved. Of course, that is not to say that Senna would have actually driven for Ferrari in the end, but it does seem to show that Ferrari at least attempted to hire Senna. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/30/s ... ntezemolo/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

tommykl wrote:

Also Senna said in a interview for Globo, in 1993 season if I'm correct, that he wanted to drive for Ferrari, but he didn't make the move for the Italian team because the car and the team aren't good. His intention was to spent 2 years in Williams and after this, moving for Ferrari.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The calendar for 2015 has been published

20 races next season, with the addition of Mexico after the US race in October. They're not returning to the Nurburgring, so Hockenheim keeps the German GP, and for what might be the first time in forever, the Japanese GP is being held in September. That just does not feel right.

On a more annoying note, there's EIGHT clashes between BTCC and F1 next season. EIGHT.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:The calendar for 2015 has been published

20 races next season, with the addition of Mexico after the US race in October. They're not returning to the Nurburgring, so Hockenheim keeps the German GP, and for what might be the first time in forever, the Japanese GP is being held in September. That just does not feel right.

Eh, they've only moved the Japanese GP forward by one week just to squeeze in Mexico. It's no biggie.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:
East Londoner wrote:The calendar for 2015 has been published

Eh, they've only moved the Japanese GP forward by one week just to squeeze in Mexico. It's no biggie.

Yes, but its practically a mid-season Grand Prix now. Its just weird, as I associate it with championship battles!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Eh, they've only moved the Japanese GP forward by one week just to squeeze in Mexico. It's no biggie.

Yes, but its practically a mid-season Grand Prix now. Its just weird, as I associate it with championship battles!

I agree. I hate the fact that over the years Japan has become the penultimate race, then the 3rd-to-last, then 4th-to-last, then 5th-to-last, then 6th-to-last and you're like "This is stupid". Can't Suzuka be at worst the 2nd-to-last or 3rd-to-last round because it's losing its status as being a pivotal race.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:
watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Eh, they've only moved the Japanese GP forward by one week just to squeeze in Mexico. It's no biggie.

I agree. I hate the fact that over the years Japan has become the penultimate race, then the 3rd-to-last, then 4th-to-last, then 5th-to-last, then 6th-to-last and you're like "This is stupid". Can't Suzuka be at worst the 2nd-to-last or 3rd-to-last round because it's losing its status as being a pivotal race.

Well, take it up with the FIA.

To be honest, it doesn't matter when things are. Each race is equally important, and Japan doesn't have some god-given right to be at the end of the calendar because of what's happened there in the past. The calendar's a lot more global than it has been in the past, and it's not like they stick races in willy-nilly. In recent years, there's been the group of the US, Brazilian and now Mexican Grands Prix to take into account, and although it would be easier from a travel perspective to stick them with Canada, the temperature would turn the grid into twenty-two Sunday Roasts. Plus, there's also Russia as well, which is kind of difficult to cater for.

Whether or not you like that, that's your own opinion. But expecting the FIA to change it because you think it's a dumb idea takes a special kind of arrogance.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Arrogant or not, i agree with the sentiment. Some things should just be sacred. Even if it's an illusion. Dammit i want the Japanese GP to be closer to the end of the season too! :(

It just feels right.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ataxia wrote:Well, take it up with the FIA.

To be honest, it doesn't matter when things are. Each race is equally important,

Until this year it used to be like that...

Ataxia wrote:and Japan doesn't have some god-given right to be at the end of the calendar because of what's happened there in the past. The calendar's a lot more global than it has been in the past, and it's not like they stick races in willy-nilly. In recent years, there's been the group of the US, Brazilian and now Mexican Grands Prix to take into account, and although it would be easier from a travel perspective to stick them with Canada, the temperature would turn the grid into twenty-two Sunday Roasts. Plus, there's also Russia as well, which is kind of difficult to cater for.

No race has god-given rights, but they can have Ecclestone-given rights which are a bit above the former, earth-wise (probably everywhere else too).

Also, while the calendar takes into account locations and travels it still could be better than what it is.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

I would be surprised to see that rules strongly enforced, any driver bad enough to be given an F1 seat probably has enough spare cash to buy a superlicence.
mario

Post by mario »

andrew2209 wrote:

I would be surprised to see that rules strongly enforced, any driver bad enough to be given an F1 seat probably has enough spare cash to buy a superlicence.

It's also worth noting that, whilst the FIA are thinking of tabling an amendment with the WMSC in December, any amendments to the Superlicence procedure would not actually kick in until 2016. I wonder if perhaps part of the reason for the delay might be the fact that Red Bull might find it a touch awkward if the FIA were to tighten the regulations for 2015 and therefore deny Max a route into F1, even though Adam Cooper has suggested that he may in fact be one reason why the FIA are changing the regulations...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew2209 wrote:

I think it's more about keeping it up to date, and maybe making the restrictions a little tighter. I mean, the superlicense criteria mention the Formula 3 Euro Series. Which kicked the bucket at the end of 2012. I highly doubt it will actually rule out anyone from an F1 seat who currently rumoured to be under consideration for one.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Sky Sports Italia reports that the Alonso-Vettel swap can be announced as early as next week.
I doubt it.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shizuka wrote:Sky Sports Italia reports that the Alonso-Vettel swap can be announced as early as next week.
I doubt it.

There's a bit of an internet buzz regarding this, although I read Alonso was staying. I think it's a go-er, Ferrari could do with off loading Raikkonen and Vettel might enjoy a change.

As much as its possible to feel sorry for a millionaire F1 world champion I do for Kimi somewhat if this comes to pass but I guess thats showbiz.
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Shizuka wrote:Sky Sports Italia reports that the Alonso-Vettel swap can be announced as early as next week.
I doubt it.

I doubt too. Alonso won't risk having a young team mate who would threaten him in the track, like Ricciardo.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I doubt it.

Me too. Why in the hell would Vettel switch to Ferrari? At Red Bull he knows that the engine issue (which, flankly, doesn't seem to do worse than the Ferrari one) might get solved next year (sure, Ferrari too, but they have other issues still) and team Newey could be back at it. At Ferrari he doesn't have any assurances that this drought will end. The only thing he could have is assurances that he will be the undisputed number one. This is in line to be one of the worst career gambles in recent times. McLaren would be a less of a gamble, IMHO.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I doubt it.

Are they tripping on acid? Not going to happen
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
I doubt it.

Me too. Why in the hell would Vettel switch to Ferrari? At Red Bull he knows that the engine issue (which, flankly, doesn't seem to do worse than the Ferrari one) might get solved next year (sure, Ferrari too, but they have other issues still) and team Newey could be back at it. At Ferrari he doesn't have any assurances that this drought will end. The only thing he could have is assurances that he will be the undisputed number one. This is in line to be one of the worst career gambles in recent times. McLaren would be a less of a gamble, IMHO.

I'd have to agree with many here - a move from Red Bull to Ferrari looks like a step backwards rather than forwards, even if Ferrari have tried to bolster their technical team in recent months. McLaren doesn't look like a massively better option either, though - they're perhaps more stable, but they do not seem to have produced a decent chassis for a few years now and, despite having the best engine in the field, are struggling to beat Force India, a team that has barely half of the resources that McLaren has.
Realistically, that rumour sounds more like what somebody hopes will happen rather than what will actually happen, because surely Vettel's best option is to stay at Red Bull, focus on 2015 and hope that Renault can find a way of closing the performance gap between themselves and Mercedes.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
I doubt it.

I'd have to agree with many here - a move from Red Bull to Ferrari looks like a step backwards rather than forwards, even if Ferrari have tried to bolster their technical team in recent months. McLaren doesn't look like a massively better option either, though - they're perhaps more stable, but they do not seem to have produced a decent chassis for a few years now and, despite having the best engine in the field, are struggling to beat Force India, a team that has barely half of the resources that McLaren has.
Realistically, that rumour sounds more like what somebody hopes will happen rather than what will actually happen, because surely Vettel's best option is to stay at Red Bull, focus on 2015 and hope that Renault can find a way of closing the performance gap between themselves and Mercedes.

Like most people, I can't see Vettel moving, but in the unlikely event that he does, I imagine that it would be partly motivated by losing de facto #1 driver status at Red Bull. It will be interesting to see how the team manages next year as they are notoriously ruthless and have no problems with freezing out one driver to benefit the other. At Ferrari (assuming he wouldn't be alongside Alonso), he'd have the comfort of having a team focussing on him and would have warned off the threat of any further damage being done to his "brand" by Ricciardo.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Can't say he hasn't earned it. Is Hulkenberg contracted for 2015 yet?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Force India have been slipping a bit behind in the last few races and I feel that it might have something to do with Hulkenberg slump too. Kudos for Sergio Perez to keep fighting and earning the points. It was also pleasant to find out that, while Sergio is behind on points he he is matching Hulkenberg 5-5 in those races where both were classified as finishers (I included Canada).
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

mario

Post by mario »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Can't say he hasn't earned it. Is Hulkenberg contracted for 2015 yet?

I believe that Hulkenberg's existing contract already covered the 2015 season as well, so yes, he should still be under contract. He did have a tough time earlier in the season, but it does look as if Perez is perhaps getting more to grips with the car and the team now, which does give Force India a fairly decent line up to work with.

watka wrote:Like most people, I can't see Vettel moving, but in the unlikely event that he does, I imagine that it would be partly motivated by losing de facto #1 driver status at Red Bull. It will be interesting to see how the team manages next year as they are notoriously ruthless and have no problems with freezing out one driver to benefit the other. At Ferrari (assuming he wouldn't be alongside Alonso), he'd have the comfort of having a team focussing on him and would have warned off the threat of any further damage being done to his "brand" by Ricciardo.

I don't know if being offered No. 1 status would be enough to sway Vettel - we've seen the team support Vettel quite heavily even when he hasn't been at his most competitive, and although Ricciardo has had the measure of him so far, the team are still not gravitating towards Ricciardo quite yet. Maybe at a later date we could see things change, but for now I think that the team are still likely to back Vettel pretty robustly.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

As long as the Ferrari ties aren't cut, this might be a good move. (By the time Marciello joins the squad in 2016, because he's definitely going to enter through this team given his Ferrari YDA link, he might join a midfielder team...)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:

As long as the Ferrari ties aren't cut, this might be a good move. (By the time Marciello joins the squad in 2016, because he's definitely going to enter through this team given his Ferrari YDA link, he might join a midfielder team...)

It'd pretty much confirm Marussia's status as the B-Team to Ferrari if the deal went ahead. After all, Stroll's kid Lance is part of the Ferrari YDA and currently comprehensively beating everyone in Italian F4
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.