The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Ataxia »

mrfakeboullier wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if Heidfeld didn't hit the sausage curb then he could have won even with a damaged front right suspension. Also, can I humbly suggest the track in Bristol (UK Bristol not NASCAR American Bristol) I designed here for the TBA race?

Blimey, that's a bit long isn't it? Granted, going down Ladies' Mile in Clifton would look cool, but it's a big ol' track...but at least you're pretty far from Brislington!

If you were going to Bristol, I think going past the Waterfront and up Park Street would be also quite nice...and if the race was at night you could go to Syndicate straight after. :P
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Also, can I humbly suggest the track in Bristol (UK Bristol not NASCAR American Bristol) I designed here for the TBA race?

The Manx TT has a race for electric bikes. Why not add electric cars to the mix! (Internal combustion bikes can manage 6 laps with two pitstops for fuel. How many laps is the electric bike race? Just the ONE!)

But I wanted to post that FE already have plans to become a world series.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:
mrfakeboullier wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if Heidfeld didn't hit the sausage curb then he could have won even with a damaged front right suspension. Also, can I humbly suggest the track in Bristol (UK Bristol not NASCAR American Bristol) I designed here for the TBA race?

Blimey, that's a bit long isn't it? Granted, going down Ladies' Mile in Clifton would look cool, but it's a big ol' track...but at least you're pretty far from Brislington!

If you were going to Bristol, I think going past the Waterfront and up Park Street would be also quite nice...and if the race was at night you could go to Syndicate straight after. :P

As well as ploughing a new pit lane and associated buildings right through the Downs...erm yeah that will never happen! :lol:

Got me thinking though, and if Bristol was to be used (like hell it would ever be!) then this is what I'd plump for (and I 100% agree with you Ataxia on the use of Park Street). If you like your short tracks: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439009
And a slightly longer one for Formula E or, why not, F1! http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439023
Or this one? http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439033
I like drawing racetracks! :P
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I think the contact affected braking ability of the car so much that Heidfeld would have gone to Tecpro wall anyway. That would have slowed him too much.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

AndreaModa wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

As well as ploughing a new pit lane and associated buildings right through the Downs...erm yeah that will never happen! :lol:

Got me thinking though, and if Bristol was to be used (like hell it would ever be!) then this is what I'd plump for (and I 100% agree with you Ataxia on the use of Park Street). If you like your short tracks: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439009
And a slightly longer one for Formula E or, why not, F1! http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439023

I made a new track which incorparates Park Street and is the equivalent of 63 F1 laps http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439621
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mrfakeboullier wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

I made a new track which incorparates Park Street and is the equivalent of 63 F1 laps http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6439621

Beat this for fun guys
http://gmap-pedometer.com?r=6439637
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:- The pitstops I didn't quite follow. There is a minimum time to be spent in the pits and from the footage of Prost's stop he seemed to spend a fair amount of time sitting there before setting off. On that logic, everyone should have had roughly the same pitstop time so how did Heidfeld get ahead of the Abt cars?

It's taken me quite a while to figure it out, but now I finally understand what's happened here;

There is a minimum pit-stop time, but the start and end triggers are when you enter and leave the pitlane, not when you pull up to the pit garages to change cars. Most drivers/teams waited for a few seconds in their garages to ensure they didn't breach the minimum pit-stop time, but instead what Heidfeld did was do the switchover as quicky as possible, then drove well below the limit between leaving his garage and the pit exit. In the replay you can see other cars in the pitlane catching him up and queuing behind him on their way out.

It's really quite a clever strategy in hindsight, as pit exit is so long and narrow on the Beijing track there was no way for anyone to get past Heidfeld. Which might make the pit battles in the following events a race in itself - if it's wide enough we might see some overtakes for position while driving along pitlane!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:It's taken me quite a while to figure it out, but now I finally understand what's happened here;

There is a minimum pit-stop time, but the start and end triggers are when you enter and leave the pitlane, not when you pull up to the pit garages to change cars. Most drivers/teams waited for a few seconds in their garages to ensure they didn't breach the minimum pit-stop time, but instead what Heidfeld did was do the switchover as quicky as possible, then drove well below the limit between leaving his garage and the pit exit. In the replay you can see other cars in the pitlane catching him up and queuing behind him on their way out.

It's really quite a clever strategy in hindsight, as pit exit is so long and narrow on the Beijing track there was no way for anyone to get past Heidfeld. Which might make the pit battles in the following events a race in itself - if it's wide enough we might see some overtakes for position while driving along pitlane!

I was wondering at what point they started timing the pitstop - this makes sense. And although it seems a clever strategy in hindsight in one sense, in another it cost Nick Heidfeld - if he had been running third instead of second, it could have been di Grassi that Prost took out instead of Heidfeld...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Biscione wrote:
watka wrote:- The pitstops I didn't quite follow. There is a minimum time to be spent in the pits and from the footage of Prost's stop he seemed to spend a fair amount of time sitting there before setting off. On that logic, everyone should have had roughly the same pitstop time so how did Heidfeld get ahead of the Abt cars?

It's taken me quite a while to figure it out, but now I finally understand what's happened here;

Thanks! I saw that he was driving slowly down the pit lane but couldn't work out what advantage it gave him by doing so.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Yannick wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115918

Why? Why? *shakes head*

"Shakes head to Yannick"

I know when human love something, doing a thing different would be avoided. I don't see an issue here. I have drive this layout on games. It's still fun and challenging. Looking forward to this!
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Why? Why? *shakes head*

.... why not?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sounds great to me. I had presumed they were going to just use the GP track but this makes more sense. Plus it will enable team principles to drag under performing drivers down to watch and say "This time next year this could be you!" :lol:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am against this because I want to know how underwhelming these things would sound like through the tunnel. Or maybe that's the point?

And if they are planning to race in Paris next year, I would love it to be in the vicinity of this. Or even has this as a track (even if it is a bit long...)!
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Battersea Park track has been revealed as well: http://current-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Battersea-Park-proposed-layout.pdf

Have to say I like the look of that. Nice long flowing corners, long-ish straights and a few tight turns for heavy braking and overtaking opportunities.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AndreaModa wrote:The Battersea Park track has been revealed as well: http://current-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Battersea-Park-proposed-layout.pdf

Have to say I like the look of that. Nice long flowing corners, long-ish straights and a few tight turns for heavy braking and overtaking opportunities.

The track looks awesome!
Last edited by roblo97 on 18 Sep 2014, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:The rack looks awesome!

Well, quite....
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:

Well, quite....

That rack does indeed look very good... :mrgreen:

Battersea Park looks good. Should be another fun race.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Why? Why? *shakes head*

I too am against this. I would love to see the lap times these cars would set on the full circuit.
dr-baker wrote:And if they are planning to race in Paris next year, I would love it to be in the vicinity of this. Or even has this as a track (even if it is a bit long...)!

As a Gran Turismo fan I would like to see this or this.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And if they are planning to race in Paris next year, I would love it to be in the vicinity of this. Or even has this as a track (even if it is a bit long...)!

As a Gran Turismo fan I would like to see this or this.

The course, while soemwhat (sic) short, is tricky because it has many tight and sequenced corners distanced by short straightaways, making overtaking opportunities sparce and hard.

Applies to both, apparently! Plus notice their spelling mistake!

EDIT: Plus, it turns out that these cars run on second-generation biofuels!
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:

Well, quite....

oh god, this keyboard is so hard to type accurately on :oops:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:I am against this because I want to know how underwhelming these things would sound like through the tunnel. Or maybe that's the point?

And if they are planning to race in Paris next year, I would love it to be in the vicinity of this. Or even has this as a track (even if it is a bit long...)!

Imagine Formula E on an oval...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

watka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I am against this because I want to know how underwhelming these things would sound like through the tunnel. Or maybe that's the point?

Imagine Formula E on an oval...

Martinisville would be the best bet for a FE oval race, given that on most other ovals drivers will probably forget what brakes are :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:Imagine Formula E on an oval...

I think that could expose the cars as noticeably slow.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:oh god, this keyboard is so hard to type accurately on :oops:

Look on the bright side, since I posted that picture of Scarlett Johannsen (one day to be Mrs Scarlett CoopsII) the amount of views for this thread had shot up...
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

CoopsII wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:oh god, this keyboard is so hard to type accurately on :oops:

Look on the bright side, since I posted that picture of Scarlett Johannsen (one day to be Mrs Scarlett CoopsII) the amount of views for this thread had shot up...

Isn't Scarlett J expecting a child right now? ;)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Look on the bright side, since I posted that picture of Scarlett Johannsen (one day to be Mrs Scarlett CoopsII) the amount of views for this thread had shot up...

MILF? :shock: Did I just go there?
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

good_Ralf wrote:Isn't Scarlett J expecting a child right now? ;)

That's a slanderous accusation! My Scarlett isn't like that, she wouldnt do dirty things with boys. She's saving herself for me.
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Look on the bright side, since I posted that picture of Scarlett Johannsen (one day to be Mrs Scarlett CoopsII) the amount of views for this thread had shot up...

MILF? :shock: Did I just go there?

CoopsII wrote:That's a slanderous accusation! My Scarlett isn't like that, she wouldnt do dirty things with boys. She's saving herself for me.

Actually, I just checked she had a daughter a couple of weeks ago with this guy called Romain Dauriac.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

good_Ralf wrote:Actually, I just checked she had a daughter a couple of weeks ago with this guy called Romain Dauriac.

Yes, that is in fact me. Dauriac is Klingon for Coops. I'm slightly concerned as the baby looks like DanielPT, that damn Algarvean lovegod.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Actually, I just checked she had a daughter a couple of weeks ago with this guy called Romain Dauriac.

Yes, that is in fact me. Dauriac is Klingon for Coops. I'm slightly concerned as the baby looks like DanielPT, that damn Algarvean lovegod.

You are just lucky that 'your' baby has some Algarvean lovegod genes on him!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

roblomas52 wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The Battersea Park track has been revealed as well: http://current-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Battersea-Park-proposed-layout.pdf

The track looks awesome!

Looks like Formula E is more flexible than other motor racing series in their street circuit design as far as lengths of straights, long curves and size of the runoff areas are concerned, because ahead of designing the tracks, they already know the cars only have limited top speed. Combustion engined cars probably would go so fast on this track you'd have to wonder if it was safe.
Yet, for Formula E, it's OK. This probably also results in lower track construction costs for the hosting cities. This business model looks rather interesting.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:And I think that there should be a slightly bigger bias in the TV coverage towards those who have 'won' the Fan Boost. It is obvious by definition that those three drivers have been the most popular in the run-up to the race, and those who voted for those drivers will be following those drivers in particular. In other words, what on earth happened to Katherine Legge? Just as those pitting at the end of lap 13 came in, I noticed that she and Michela Cerruti were a lap down. I don't recall seeing them get lapped so at that point, I assumed that they had already pitted. But then it turned out that they pitted a lap later, at the end of lap 14. But anyway, go Super Aguri - very similar to their F1 performance - earning a place for Formula E Rejects!

OK, so I watched the highlights a week or so ago. I noted that when the timings were scrolling across during lap 7, Katherine Legge was 23 seconds behind. During lap 10, she was listed as 27 seconds behind. Both times, she was ahead of Michela Cerruti. Lap 13: lapped, and still ahead of Michela Cerruti, on a lap that took 105 seconds (based on Sato's fastest lap). What on earth happened? Then I read the review in Autosport. Daniel Abt got penalised 57 seconds for using a bit too much power, but no mention of why 57 seconds specifically (why not 55 or 60 seconds, why 57?), nor why Katherine Legge and Jamie Alguersuari got exactly the same penalty (although Wikipedia explains for the two drivers).

But as regards the extra double-header round. London is still deciding between Battersea and ExCeL. Why not one round at each on the same weekend? It would viably work, what with the series being based just a couple of hours' up the road (or even less if you take a flight from City - right next to ExCeL - to Midlands Airport, right next to Donnington). And it would solve the problem of the double-header...

And one final thought for now. Who else thinks this looks like a penguin?
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The local council have given their full support to the Battersea race. Barring any unforseen incidents or dumbass protests I think that is a go-er, which is good as the track looks great and the backdrop and surroundings will be nice too.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:And one final thought for now. Who else thinks this looks like a penguin?

I think it fits in well with the environmental message of the series by saying that by supporting Formula E we are also saving the penguins. But that's too clever for the FIA :P
#FreeGonzo
nome66

Post by nome66 »

yeah, why don't they just use the full course? are they afraid the cameraman/soundguy inside the tunnel will be dissatisfied?
i mean, it's already the shortest track on the f1 calendar(a million years running, it seems) if that is what they are looking for in a street circuit.
i also dont get why they aren't using at least a slightly longer course for Long Beach. i mean bring back this one!
i know there are new(as of '00) buildings where the old first 4 turns used to be, but if you look on satellite photos, it would only be a slight variation
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

They no doubt want to minimise the disruption in the city brought about by their presence.

Anyway, Agag has been discussing his vision for the future of the series, and says he wants an 18-round calendar, four manufacturers, and won't get rid of fanboost.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The major short term goal in my opinion is generating batteries that can last the whole race, as I think that's the challenge at the moment in making the series more credible. I think the series isn't throwing itself into the deep end in the same way series like A1GP did, and with a good plan of development, could become relatively successful.
Bobby Doorknobs

A few days ago while the forum was infected the layout for the Miami circuit was unveiled: http://www.crash.net/crash/news/210035/ ... ealed.html

It's a bit too street-circuity for my liking, but then again so was Beijing, which I enjoyed.
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:A few days ago while the forum was infected the layout for the Miami circuit was unveiled: http://www.crash.net/crash/news/210035/ ... ealed.html

It's a bit too street-circuity for my liking, but then again so was Beijing, which I enjoyed.

For some reason Zolder comes to my mind looking at that layout.
Last edited by Frogfoot9013 on 27 Oct 2014, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.