The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

andrew2209 wrote:Has a team ever missed races and returned?

Andrea Moda comically missed the French Grand Prix because their truck was stuck in a blockade and they came back (though they didn't race, obviously!). Apart from that, the only example I can come up with from the last 25 years or so is BAR getting banned for two races in 2005.
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Simtek wrote:

Andrea Moda comically missed the French Grand Prix because their truck was stuck in a blockade and they came back (though they didn't race, obviously!). Apart from that, the only example I can come up with from the last 25 years or so is BAR getting banned for two races in 2005.

Ligier missed the first race of 1987, I have no idea why though if anyone would happen to know.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:

You have to remember though that BAR weren't in the same financial mess Caterham were in, and besides, as it was a ban that caused BAR to miss those races, it was inevitable that they'd be back on the grid after the ban was up, which is not exactly what you can say for Caterham. And even if they do make it to Abu Dhabi, I'd be very surprised if they are on the grid come Melbourne next year.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
mario

Post by mario »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Ligier missed the first race of 1987, I have no idea why though if anyone would happen to know.

Ligier's explanation was that, having lost the use of Alfa Romeo's turbo engines before the start of the season, the JS29B - which used BMW's M12 engine instead - was still under development and wasn't ready to be raced in Brazil.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

And in the end, it was an unlucky move for Kobayashi. He left the comfortable Ferrari test driver position to race and he isn't able to complete the season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Brabham missed all of the 1988 season.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:

Brabham missed all of the 1988 season.

That's called missing a season, bub. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sauber withdrew from Brazil 2000 on safety grounds. Both Salo and Diniz had rear wing failures in practice. Not sure if that counts.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Don't forget pretty much the entire field at Indy in 2005, though that was for the most embarassing thing in the world! I do feel that someone needs to take the horse out back and pull the trigger on this one. The writing was on the wall when we had the shambles that was changing the driver line-up for Spa. Not that I have an issue with Lotterer but the whole thing just smacked of a team that had no clue what it was doing.

It'll be a shame for them to go, and who knows? They may yet survive, but I feel a lot of this is Kolles straitjacketing the team so that they can be purchased and turned into Forza Rossa.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Karun Chandhok retweeted:
Alan Baldwin: Marussia_F1Team will not be going to Austin and nor will CaterhamF1. Bernie just told me. #F1 #USGP

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Yep, Autosport confirmed it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116497

This is pretty damn awful. So many teams are struggling financially, something needs to be done about it.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Mexicola wrote:Yep, Autosport confirmed it.

This is pretty damn awful. So many teams are struggling financially, something needs to be done about it.

Not good. Three-car teams are probably a certainty now for 2016. And in any case, Bernie wants to push those small teams out of the sport, so I doubt he'll give them any financial support at all.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Mexicola wrote:Yep, Autosport confirmed it.

This...isn't good. So Marussia seem to be in a better state than Catheram, but probably in a way worst position for 2015, since Catheram are probably becoming Forza Rossa.

So this makes two teams, and we might be only 18 to 20 cars next season.. And relating to this, what are Sauber financial status?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Tough luck.
Too bad we will see neither Marussia nor Caterham in Austin. These two, and at one point three teams were one of the main reasons that made me keep watching Formula One after Kubica's crash in 2011.
Well, that might be the first F1 race I will voluntarily not watch - I don't want to see Sauber possibly scoring points in such a crass setting :x
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Pointrox wrote:Tough luck.
Too bad we will see neither Marussia nor Caterham in Austin. These two, and at one point three teams were one of the main reasons that made me keep watching Formula One after Kubica's crash in 2011.
Well, that might be the first F1 race I will voluntarily not watch - I don't want to see Sauber possibly scoring points in such a crass setting :x

You're saying that like it was Marussia and Caterham preventing Sauber from scoring points all this time :P

Seriously though, Sauber's chances of scoring at Austin are the same as elsewhere. There should be no effect on the results, although I'll admit it'll be sad to only have 18 cars on track...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Gutierrez, Maldonado and Sutil in a three-way, 1st lap collision? That's brilliant. The race is saved already. I honestly wouldn't know which driver would be pissed off the most. Maldonado is very chilled out this year so it probably wouldn't be him. ^^
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

tommykl wrote:Seriously though, Sauber's chances of scoring at Austin are the same as elsewhere. There should be no effect on the results, although I'll admit it'll be sad to only have 18 cars on track...

18 cars sounds like the sort of grids Champ Car had in its final days, which is not good at all.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Sums it up somewhat well I feel. In the end, Fernandes expected by using an initial cash injection to get elements A + B + C, success would automatically follow. When things didn't pan out like that and the going got tough, he stopped caring. Doesn't surprise me that a faceless, mysterious group of 'investors' would fail to pay up after the sale.

It's hard to say LdM was wrong about third cars when this is what happens at the opposite end of the grid. For sure the drivers and the staff in the factory give their all in eleven teams, but more often than not the backmarkers are just hideously managed.

Third cars or not, Caterham look like their hopes of being on the grid in 2015 are reaching zero...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

When Caterham go bust this year, proving once and for all that the Curse of Leafield is true, who'll go bust in 2020 then? Forza Rossa? :P
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Biscione wrote:It's hard to say LdM was wrong about third cars when this is what happens at the opposite end of the grid. For sure the drivers and the staff in the factory give their all in eleven teams, but more often than not the backmarkers are just hideously managed.

On the other hand, it's hard to say they got a fair crack - let's not forget that every new team was set up with a 40 million euro (IIRC) budget cap in mind.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think this tweet sums the situation up rather well.

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

roblomas52 wrote:I think this tweet sums the situation up rather well.

Wow...no...totally irrelevant.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The question still stands, how the hell did teams run in the early 2000s? Ferrari and Toyota were rumored to have budgets over $500mil US (I've seen $750-800mil for Toyota mentioned but that seems way high), but even BAR, Jordan and Sauber had $100mil+ budgets. Hell In an interview with F1 Racing Paul Stoddart mentioned a $50mil budget for Minardi.

Budgets are wayyyy lower now, and yes I know the economy tanked, but was ciggy money that much?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wallio wrote:The question still stands, how the hell did teams run in the early 2000s? Ferrari and Toyota were rumored to have budgets over $500mil US (I've seen $750-800mil for Toyota mentioned but that seems way high), but even BAR, Jordan and Sauber had $100mil+ budgets. Hell In an interview with F1 Racing Paul Stoddart mentioned a $50mil budget for Minardi.

Budgets are wayyyy lower now, and yes I know the economy tanked, but was ciggy money that much?

Yes, it was... just look at IndyCar fields back then before the MSA banning ciggy money.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Suggesting what? Barcelona buy Caterham and Real Madrid buy Marussia and proceed to have 20 fist-fights at race circuits across the world over the course of the year? Different sports, different set of circumstances. As Biscione said, wholly irrelevant.

EDIT: fixed dodgy Drunk Takagi grammar. :P
Last edited by takagi_for_the_win on 25 Oct 2014, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Suggesting what? Barcelona buy Caterham and Real Madrid buy Marussia and proceed to have 20 fist-fights at race circuits over the course of the world? Different sports, different set of circumstances. As Biscione said, wholly irrelevant.

And Chelsea buying out Sauber? :P
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:

Wow...no...totally irrelevant.

Football is a hell of a lot bigger than F1. I didnt need that pointing out James Allen.
Just For One Day...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Suggesting what? Barcelona buy Caterham and Real Madrid buy Marussia and proceed to have 20 fist-fights at race circuits across the world over the course of the year? Different sports, different set of circumstances. As Biscione said, wholly irrelevant.

EDIT: fixed dodgy Drunk Takagi grammar. :P

I don't know, there's a spanish team named 'Racing Santander' and Santander is a sponsor in racing. Can't be a coincidence :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I just realized - if Caterham really does goes bankrupt, what condition I should replace so that the "keep out" part on my signature can be finally gone? :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

FMecha wrote:I just realized - if Caterham really does goes bankrupt, what condition I should replace so that the "keep out" part on my signature can be finally gone? :P

You should replace it with 'gone when FOM listens to the fans'. :P
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
FMecha wrote:I just realized - if Caterham really does goes bankrupt, what condition I should replace so that the "keep out" part on my signature can be finally gone? :P

'Gone when Haas turns up to Melbourne 2016 with a pair of cars' ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

dr-baker wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

You do know he could turn up with three cars. ;)
Another idea from me: 'Gone when Collin Kolles goes home'. :P
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

You do know he could turn up with three cars. ;)
Another idea from me: 'Gone when Collin Kolles goes home'. :P

Booooooooo.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Taki Inoue posted this on his FB profile:

[Story as true now, because here] and secured until the final sheet in the caterham F1 Hockenheim GP from Colin Kolles from July at Silverstone GP prior to that I had.
Of course, SATO was the feeling that I think sheet for Kenya.
But not very harmonious feelings felt a hesitation.

And contracts and ask to have regardless, Taki decided to see the situation in Inoue's speciality, pulling time.

If the caterham F1 chance, jumping on Board now, we are impatient to F1 seat is now Austin GP go, miserable, untidy situation was horrifying to think (sweat)!
why the last step was almost 80% of it, feeling is in the caterham F1 earn distance in the F1 car, so even I don't know. That it has been involved in the racing business exactly 30 years 'intuition' may be (sweat).

Could be said as well, the same Japanese took the sheet-dream Wei Kun at the Japan Grand Prix in Suzuka was a bad (sweat).

Ideals and think that once you get F1 anyway, backing Japan Automobile manufacturers do not have Japanese drivers and still runs the team on more than medium-sized (sweat).

Don't forget never contract at caterham F1 this untidy results is future of Japanese F1 driver! R. I. P. Caterham (Translated by Bing)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Sauber withdrew from Brazil 2000 on safety grounds. Both Salo and Diniz had rear wing failures in practice. Not sure if that counts.

Well, the same thing with Minardi in Spain 2002 also.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

The Caterham website is now giving a load of 503s. In short: Caterham is done.

Meanwhile, the Pacific F1 website is still going strong.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The Caterham website is now giving a load of 503s.

Tell them to give Biscione a call.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The Caterham website is now giving a load of 503s. Meanwhile, the Pacific F1 website is still going strong.

:o :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

dr-baker wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:The Caterham website is now giving a load of 503s. Meanwhile, the Pacific F1 website is still going strong.

:o :lol:

still offline....not a good sign.

Ravetto today said this to autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116540

Totally agree with him. I think he has done an excellent job, he's also a very good person
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

the things become more and more unclear/clear:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 27162.html

So Cojocar (an ex footballer) tried to buy Caterham Sport for running Caterham and Forza Rossa for 2015..