Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox

Post by pasta_maldonado »

andrew2209 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Well, I'm getting an awful feeling that this is only the start of 4-5 years of untouchable Mercedes dominance. I really hope I'm wrong, as that's all the sport needs, what with the ongoing financial crisis...

At least Rosberg could put up a fight to Hamilton. Then again, if Hamilton were to become more dominant in those 5 years, he could potentially reach the same level of wins as Michael Schumacher.

Whilst that would be a better option, after two straight seasons of Hamilton v Rosberg, things will get a bit samey.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Well, I'm getting an awful feeling that this is only the start of 4-5 years of untouchable Mercedes dominance. I really hope I'm wrong, as that's all the sport needs, what with the ongoing financial crisis...

At least Rosberg could put up a fight to Hamilton. Then again, if Hamilton were to become more dominant in those 5 years, he could potentially reach the same level of wins as Michael Schumacher.

Whilst that would be a better option, after two straight seasons of Hamilton v Rosberg, things will get a bit samey.

I really hope the gap narrows to the Mercs and Honda are really on it next year, we could really do with a 2007/08 style inter team battle. Getting a little tired of single team domination (although this season has definitely been enjoyable).
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Is anyone else more annoyed than they should be with these new numbering rules? The champion has number 1, let's stop pretending there's an actual connotation between drivers and numbers and just stick to tradition. :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Is anyone else more annoyed than they should be with these new numbering rules? The champion has number 1, let's stop pretending there's an actual connotation between drivers and numbers and just stick to tradition. :P

I feel the same way, although the fact that this was announced around the same time as double points may have contributed to this feeling. I still can't remember half of the car numbers this year when before I was able to figure them out almost instantly from last year's WCC. And of course this being F1, the real reason behind bringing them in in the first place was simply to make the drivers more "marketable".
#FreeGonzo
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Is anyone else more annoyed than they should be with these new numbering rules? The champion has number 1, let's stop pretending there's an actual connotation between drivers and numbers and just stick to tradition. :P

Yes, just let's get rid of these odd numbers, and also, why keep them for the full season. Just give them the numbers on a race by race basis, like it used to be :P
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:

I feel the same way, although the fact that this was announced around the same time as double points may have contributed to this feeling. I still can't remember half of the car numbers this year when before I was able to figure them out almost instantly from last year's WCC. And of course this being F1, the real reason behind bringing them in in the first place was simply to make the drivers more "marketable".

I've been able to soak them in fine. The new numbers are absolutely terrible, but it makes no difference to anything so it's hard to get mad.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I like the numbers, and in the long term it'll be obvious who has what number as we get used to it.

However, (and this is just me) I hate the fact that there probably won't be a Number 1 next year if Hamilton decides to stick with his 44.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Number 0 was good enough for Damon Hill, and hoisting that ridiculous number was the greatest travesty that will ever be done with regards to numbers in F1.

I like the driver's numbers. They are uniquely theirs and most have a personal attachement and as the years go by, some numbers will become famous. Nigel Mansell's red no. 5 is pretty damned famous already, and Ricciardo picked number 3 partly because of it's NASCAR history. As far as difficulty in knowing who is who, i can't bloody see numbers anyway and the helmets are of no help so i allways look at the "mast" over the airbox to see if it's fluorescent yellow, that way i can tell who is driving. ^^
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Number 0 was good enough for Damon Hill, and hoisting that ridiculous number was the greatest travesty that will ever be done with regards to numbers in F1.

I find the number of people that are absolutely fine with any use of #0 utterly abhorrent. Next you'll be telling me we're allowed leading zeros in driver numbers as well...oh, the humanity!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Number 0 was good enough for Damon Hill, and hoisting that ridiculous number was the greatest travesty that will ever be done with regards to numbers in F1.

Jody Scheckter was unavailable for comment.

Far more rejectful, if you ask me, is the NASCAR system that allows both "x" and "0x" as separate numbers (including 0 and 00).
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Thank you for the cookie! :D Though it did briefly allow Damon to be called "The fastest zero in the world" which is as backhanded as accolades can possibly go. It wasn't an insult, just happened that way.

Nigel Mansell was champion and he took his no.1 out of F1 into IndyCar where he promptly added another one. It left Williams with numbers 2 and ... nothing, they couldn't use 1 since only the champion can have that and the champion wasn't driving the car. I wouldn't care if they put 9999 on the car, what bothered me was that 0 isnt a number and is belittling to the driver. It was a ridiculous choice in my opinion, but i can't remember if any other number was available (besides 13).

I'm not familiar with Jody Scheckter, what's the story with him having a 0 on the car? Was it punishment?
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
UncreativeUsername37

Sublime_FA11C wrote:0 isnt a number

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:0 isnt a number

Let's ask any NASCAR driver that's run with #0 if it's belittling...

dinizintheoven wrote:Far more rejectful, if you ask me, is the NASCAR system that allows both "x" and "0x" as separate numbers (including 0 and 00).

...or the Reutimann family, who have raced in Florida with #00 for a long time. Or even Buckshot Jones, who intentionally picked #00... David Reutimann and Buckshot Jones would probably say #00 is their number...

I picked up every driver's number in F1 really quickly, the only problem I have is that they're so damn hard to see. Remove all those pesky logos off the rear wing and stick a nice, big number on the rear wing. Like it's supposed to be.

Kind of like this;

I'm still going to associate some numbers with other drivers rather than an active F1 driver -- for example, when I hear about a car #14 I'll think of A.J. Foyt, #3 for Dale Earnhardt, #5 for Mansell, etc. But if I see a Formula 1 car that has #14 on it I'll know that it's being driven by Fernando Alonso. Personally I like that drivers have been given a bit of extra freedom here, and it seems some of them are having quite a bit of fun with it, like Bo77as and Mr. Talent Himself, M4x Chilton.

Hamilton's choice to not use #1 is not the only time in major open wheel that it's happened. Scott Dixon didn't use it this year in IndyCar because the sponsors wanted to keep #9 on his car. Also, Pat Patrick refused to allow #1 on his cars because he thought it was bad luck.

The only time this bugs me is in series where only the defending driver's champion is supposed to use the #1, yet it's being used by someone else. Like in GP2 or GP3. ;)

Some of you need to chill out a bit.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AustralianStig wrote:I like the numbers, and in the long term it'll be obvious who has what number as we get used to it.

However, (and this is just me) I hate the fact that there probably won't be a Number 1 next year if Hamilton decides to stick with his 44.

I completely agree.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Ok fine, using 0 or 00 on a car can be sensible if a bit gimmicky. Though in Damon's case it wasn't his choice, it was forced by circumstances. His 0 was more farcical esp in the context of Formula 1. At the time having a 0 on that Williams was as retarded as the double points today. Something that came out of nowhere with an explanation that leaves you scratching your head...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I personally couldn't give two-hoots about numbers. Hamilton could have 666 and I still wouldn't care. Have what you want, it's not going to change the racing is it. People moaning about it need to remember there's bigger things to worry about in F1 at the moment...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

C'mon guys it's just numbers, let Kraftwerk show you the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f-JwOGO1A
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I wonder if they'd be accepting of using irrational constants as racing numbers, such as e and pi?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

watka wrote:I wonder if they'd be accepting of using irrational constants as racing numbers, such as e and pi?

I'm personally looking forward to the day someone uses an imaginary number.
Everything's great.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Salamander wrote:
watka wrote:I wonder if they'd be accepting of using irrational constants as racing numbers, such as e and pi?

You mean like eleventeen?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I knew somebody was gonna say that.... :P
Everything's great.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

They'll fit LED panels in mandatory positions on the car for a driver's racing number, and it will constantly change as drivers aim to score points not just from track position, but from successfully getting numberwang!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Salamander wrote:

"And here we see Max Verstappen, driving car number i to the nth power. Apparently it's the number he dreams about most often, very interesting."
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Salamander wrote:

I do wonder if one day Graham's number will be chosen.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:They'll fit LED panels in mandatory positions on the car for a driver's racing number, and it will constantly change as drivers aim to score points not just from track position, but from successfully getting numberwang!

Whilst you jest about such an idea, you're actually not that far removed from reality - one of the items that Force India were testing today was an LED display mounted on top of the car which would display information about the car, such as its position, the tyre compound they were using and what their best lap times were. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/26/f ... wing-test/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
Biscione wrote:They'll fit LED panels in mandatory positions on the car for a driver's racing number, and it will constantly change as drivers aim to score points not just from track position, but from successfully getting numberwang!

Whilst you jest about such an idea, you're actually not that far removed from reality - one of the items that Force India were testing today was an LED display mounted on top of the car which would display information about the car, such as its position, the tyre compound they were using and what their best lap times were. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/26/f ... wing-test/

And according to Autosport, it was developed by the father of the world champion, Anthony Hamilton!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Force India pre-2015 test hack revealed:

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:Whilst you jest about such an idea, you're actually not that far removed from reality - one of the items that Force India were testing today was an LED display mounted on top of the car which would display information about the car, such as its position, the tyre compound they were using and what their best lap times were. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/26/f ... wing-test/

And according to Autosport, it was developed by the father of the world champion, Anthony Hamilton!

F1 Fanatic, in the second sentence, wrote:The ‘Info Wing’ was designed by Lewis Hamilton’s father Anthony
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Well Perez already has onety-one.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Salamander wrote:

Make them write the driver numbers in binary. Or in hexadecimal.

I for one am looking for Alonso in the #D car to avoid the spinning #C car of Maldonado while K-Mags in the #14 car goes by on the inside...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
UncreativeUsername37

Cynon wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Make them write the driver numbers in binary. Or in hexadecimal.

I for one am looking for Alonso in the #D car to avoid the spinning #C car of Maldonado while K-Mags in the #14 car goes by on the inside...

And there's Kvyat in the dot and a dot above a bar!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:Whilst you jest about such an idea, you're actually not that far removed from reality - one of the items that Force India were testing today was an LED display mounted on top of the car which would display information about the car, such as its position, the tyre compound they were using and what their best lap times were. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/26/f ... wing-test/

F1 Fanatic, in the second sentence, wrote:The ‘Info Wing’ was designed by Lewis Hamilton’s father Anthony

Yeah, I realised that after I posted. :oops: "Must read links before posting about it!"
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And there's Kvyat in the dot and a dot above a bar!

Clearly, Damon Hill was missing a trick. He should have said it wasn't a zero, it was a highly stylised five - in Arabic.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I don't think Grosjean is actually number 8 I think he's representing infinity and stating HE IS HERE FOR EVER! EVER! EVER! EVER! EVER! ever!
Just For One Day...
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Agreed, I was kind of hoping in this recent "shite rules introduced for 2014 purge" that have seen double points and standing restarts consigned to the dustbin where they belong, that they'd get rid of this too, sadly the attitude of drivers like Hamilton and Bottas means there'd probably be too much resistance now :'(

If they're going to go back to fixed numbers assign them to the teams where they belong.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

why not just get rid of the numbers and have the 3 letter abbreviations somewhere on the car
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:why not just get rid of the numbers and have the 3 letter abbreviations somewhere on the car

It worked for A1GP, the only series that actually ditched car numbers altogether (as far as I am aware).
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

WeirdKerr wrote:why not just get rid of the numbers and have the 3 letter abbreviations somewhere on the car

"HAM" won't get the money flowing like "44".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

But just imagine the marketing opportunities if you had a driver pairing like Petrov and Vettel: PET and VET!
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:

But just imagine the marketing opportunities if you had a driver pairing like Petrov and Vettel: PET and VET!

We've already had SUT and GUT, and their fortunes can be summed up with a simple TUT.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...