The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Does anybody else wish the E Dams team would change their name to something a bit less, well, cheesy?

And I suppose next, you will be asking the Formula E Teams' Association (FETA) to also change their name to something less cheesy...? :roll:

I'd love to see Bertrand Baguette team up with e.dams.
CoopsII wrote::lol: That just made my day.

That was pretty damn good, I must say.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This week's Autosport seems to be suggesting that Battersea's FE round is likely to become a double-header. A two-day F1 Rejects meet-up?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I guess this goes some way into explaining his chaotic Formula E performances so far. But yeah, never thought he'd be a cokehead. The bloody fool. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:

I guess this goes some way into explaining his chaotic Formula E performances so far. But yeah, never thought he'd be a cokehead. The bloody fool. :|

I guess it also goes some way to explaining why he seemed a bit weird after the race in Beijing.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

I guess it also goes some way to explaining why he seemed a bit weird after the race in Beijing.

...except it was Malaysia where he tested positive. And, as you seem to be suggesting, there's no evidence that he took it right before the race.

Go do some reading before you make assumptions about the guy. Taking cocaine when in a sporting position is reprehensible, certainly. But there's no way it had an effect on his driving; although it's a dumb thing to do, I don't think Franck would be stupid enough to take it right before a race. I'd estimate he took it a couple of nights before, read it only took a couple of days to clear up and thought he'd be in the clear.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

[/thread]
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:This week's Autosport seems to be suggesting that Battersea's FE round is likely to become a double-header. A two-day F1 Rejects meet-up?

I'll admit that I am actually kind of tempted by that, but it's something that I would have to see about much closer to the time.

Ataxia wrote:Go do some reading before you make assumptions about the guy. Taking cocaine when in a sporting position is reprehensible, certainly. But there's no way it had an effect on his driving; although it's a dumb thing to do, I don't think Franck would be stupid enough to take it right before a race. I'd estimate he took it a couple of nights before, read it only took a couple of days to clear up and thought he'd be in the clear.

I would hope that he was not foolish enough not to take cocaine before he took part in a race, although I can kind of see what roblomas52 is getting at. I don't think he is necessarily implying that he was using cocaine during the race in China, but if you are in the sort of mindset where you are taking drugs like cocaine, you are probably not going to be thinking in an entirely rational manner.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Oh dear, oh dear. Franck Montagny was basically to Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella's Renault team effort of the mid-00s what Luca Badoer was to the famed Ferrari effort of Schumacher and Barrichello - and now this: a failed drug test!

Here's hoping Franck is able to clean up his act. At least, he's got that hairdresser salon in Barcelona to fall back on.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, here's hoping that this was a one- off incident, and that he was just very unlucky to have been caught out... Even then, as a public figure, he ought to be made an example of. Not necessarily banned for life, but severely punished.
MCard LOLA
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Nuppiz wrote:/img]
[/thread]

Post of the year.

I thought the excuse "illness" being the reason he missed the last round was hokey.
Message me on Discord.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dr-baker wrote:Well, here's hoping that this was a one- off incident, and that he was just very unlucky to have been caught out... Even then, as a public figure, he ought to be made an example of. Not necessarily banned for life, but severely punished.

Well, to this:

Since the positive was detected in the 1st of January (I imagine), his process will probably already fall under the new WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency, for those who don't know what WADA stands for) rules for positives. Before, a doping positive would be a 2 year ban from competing in the sport in question. Now, starting in 2015, the bans are now 4 years. So, if Franck get's the 4 year ban, I guess, beside the positive already damaging his reputation, it will be a hard hit into his racing carrer.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Well, here's hoping that this was a one- off incident, and that he was just very unlucky to have been caught out... Even then, as a public figure, he ought to be made an example of. Not necessarily banned for life, but severely punished.

Well, to this:

Since the positive was detected in the 1st of January (I imagine), his process will probably already fall under the new WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency, for those who don't know what WADA stands for) rules for positives. Before, a doping positive would be a 2 year ban from competing in the sport in question. Now, starting in 2015, the bans are now 4 years. So, if Franck get's the 4 year ban, I guess, beside the positive already damaging his reputation, it will be a hard hit into his racing carrer.

I didn't know this. And, being born in January 1978, he'll be over 40 by the time the ban's lifted...
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I've seen a translation of the original L'Equipe article on reddit here, and it's seriously heartbreaking.

Simply put, Montangy knew he would test positive when he went for doping control. He admits he messed up. Here's an excerpt from the final paragraph of the article:

Franck Montangy wrote:I had already started storing my helmets and the few cups I have into the cellar. Today, I can say I raced in Formula 1, I raced a few GPs, I was there. I raced in Endurance, I won some races, I was never champion but I was fast. I sometimes raced with a broken leg or broken ribs, without ever saying anything, and I was still performing because when I was in my car, with my helmet on the head, I felt good.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

In slightly more positive news, Franck Montagny will be replaced third generation Andretti, Marco Andretti.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Oh no Franck. Seriously upset but the crime is a foolish one and the punishment must be serious and just I'm afraid.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Waris

Post by Waris »

It wasn't cocaine, it was a cocaine derivative. </nitpicking>
Anyway, as sad as this whole affair is, I like how Andretti keep changing their driver lineup around, early-to-mid-1990s-F1 style.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:It wasn't cocaine, it was a cocaine derivative. </nitpicking>
Anyway, as sad as this whole affair is, I like how Andretti keep changing their driver lineup around, early-to-mid-1990s-F1 style.

Nah, at this rate they're becoming a more successful version of Frank Williams Racing Cars. :P

Come to think of it, is there a driver change limit in Formula E?
#FreeGonzo
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Simtek wrote:Come to think of it, is there a driver change limit in Formula E?

That´s a question I had been wondering as well. Here´s what I found about it from fiaformulae.com on rules and regulations page:

Drivers

Twenty drivers, from 10 teams, will compete in the 2014/2015 FIA Formula E Championship. Two reserve drivers may also be entered per team.

Not sure if that limit is per season or per race though. Considering that Marco Andretti is fifth guy on their team already it doesn´t seem to be for season unless Montagny getting banned allowed them to hire another guy even if they already have had four guys before.

Anyway, at this point, I do wonder if we actually see same driver line-up for Andretti (or Amlin Aguri for that matter) in two different races this year. :lol:
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Zergon wrote:
Simtek wrote:Come to think of it, is there a driver change limit in Formula E?

That´s a question I had been wondering as well. Here´s what I found about it from fiaformulae.com on rules and regulations page:

Drivers

Twenty drivers, from 10 teams, will compete in the 2014/2015 FIA Formula E Championship. Two reserve drivers may also be entered per team.

Not sure if that limit is per season or per race though. Considering that Marco Andretti is fifth guy on their team already it doesn´t seem to be for season unless Montagny getting banned allowed them to hire another guy even if they already have had four guys before.

Anyway, at this point, I do wonder if we actually see same driver line-up for Andretti (or Amlin Aguri for that matter) in two different races this year. :lol:

The FE regulations look like they were taken from F1 then edited, and under "CHANGES OF DRIVER", they do not include the sentence
"During a season each team will be permitted to use four drivers."
which appears in the F1 regs.

The two versions of the paragraph with that sentence are otherwise identical, besides FE not allowing any driver changes for the weekend after a practice session is run, which of course has nothing to do with season driver limits.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

With round four coming up today, I'm surprised there hasn't been any preliminary comment. So I will.

Will Jean-Eric Vergne win and stick two fingers up at his old F1 team on the podium? Will further sordid details of Franck Montagny's life be revealed during the first yellow flag period? Will Jarno Trulli lead the Trulli Tram again? Will Michela Cerruti propose to dr-baker even though there isn't a February 29th until next year? And will some nationalist thugs from Ushuaia take exception to the number "2" on Sam Bird's car because it's the last digit of the year of the Falklands War and it's obviously a provocative reference and he gets rocks hurled at him during the race, which bounce off his car, hit Nick Heidfeld's suspension and send him on another not slightly boring excursion into a wall?

Find out at 6 on ITV4. Except I won't, because I'm out having a life this evening. Which brings us another question: will the race be on ITV4's version of iPlayer, or will I have to rely on clunky old 1970s technology called VHS which doesn't suit the whole futuristic ethos of Formula E?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:With round four coming up today, I'm surprised there hasn't been any preliminary comment. So I will.

Will Jean-Eric Vergne win and stick two fingers up at his old F1 team on the podium? Will further sordid details of Franck Montagny's life be revealed during the first yellow flag period? Will Jarno Trulli lead the Trulli Tram again? Will Michela Cerruti propose to dr-baker even though there isn't a February 29th until next year? And will some nationalist thugs from Ushuaia take exception to the number "2" on Sam Bird's car because it's the last digit of the year of the Falklands War and it's obviously a provocative reference and he gets rocks hurled at him during the race, which bounce off his car, hit Nick Heidfeld's suspension and send him on another not slightly boring excursion into a wall?

Find out at 6 on ITV4. Except I won't, because I'm out having a life this evening. Which brings us another question: will the race be on ITV4's version of iPlayer, or will I have to rely on clunky old 1970s technology called VHS which doesn't suit the whole futuristic ethos of Formula E?

I expect the race will probably be available later on ITVPlayer or whatever it's called...or it'll end up on Youtube.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Even so, I am prepared.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Will Michela Cerruti propose to dr-baker even though there isn't a February 29th until next year?

Alternatively, I could just man up and try asking someone out on a date myself?!

On another note, Autosport are reporting that Formula E does not view itself as part of the motorsport ladder to F1 and is therefore not disappointed to be left out of the criteria for an F1 superlicence.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Could the unthinkable happen in the next 10 minutes? Nick Heidfeld...winning...a...race? :o :D

I'm worried though, considering the last two leaders exited the race at the same place, with the same problem. The suspension on these cars is garbage.

EDIT: bathplug bathplug bathplug bathplug bathplug. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

AMLIN AGURI WIN! Crazy, crazy race.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

What does poor old Heidfeld have to do to win a race? :lol:

On the plus side, AGURIWINSLOL. I can live with that!
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

YES, YES, YES!!!!! :)

What a race bloody race. That was just kek all the way. But it's so great to see AFDC to win this.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Screw F1, screw WEC, screw <insert your favourite series here> - this is the future of motorsport and it's so bright I gotta wear shades. What a race.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

F***ing amateur hour those last few laps. Nice to see Amlin Aguri winning though.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Super Aguri win! :D

But Heidfeld is so cursed. :cry:
#FreeGonzo
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

What a wonderful, rejectful race. This was my 1'st real-time, watched it via the new (free) FE app.
Last edited by johnston21 on 10 Jan 2015, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Every race has had battles on the last few laps, it's amazing.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

SOOOOOPPPPPPAAAAAAAA AGUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIII

But they play the British anthem rather than the Japanese anthem for the winning team?!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

No need for the VHS in the end - though ITV player kept switching between VHS quality and proper streaming quality even though it's two in the morning and nobody should be on the internet at this time of night (he says, writing on a forum).

The first car stint seemed a bit flat... but then after the swap it all kicked off and I wondered if driving electric cars makes the some of the drivers think it's a game of dodgems rather than a race - it doesn't help that the cars look rather fragile. In the end, though, I think today has confirmed that we have the ultimate F1 Rejects championship - where else could the slowest team on the grid score a win? There'll be some huge gaucho barbecue steaks and a whole vat of Argentine Malbec for Antionio Felix da Costa and the Amlin Aguri entourage tonight - and maybe a bit of sake as well. Banzai!

Meanwhile, I will bet a large amount of euros that there were some choice German obscenties in Nick Heidfeld's helmet at the end of the race. Again.
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

All sessions from the season are avail. for replay on the FE app (under "Live").
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Poor old Heidfeld, this just isn't his series, is it?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Just watched the full race encore on TV

Race before safety car: Okay, we'll a race that people have to conserve
Race after safety car: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
One hell of another race

AMLIN AGURI

Nelsinho reported he didn't know he's 3rd until he finished, little shame :?

Heidfeld is officially cursed by losing his 3rd potential victory of the season :geek:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Paul Hayes wrote:Poor old Heidfeld, this just isn't his series, is it?

You can't really say that you're slightly bored by him in this series, can you!

And 1 hour highlights on ITV4 at 11 am (in just under an hour from now).
MCard LOLA
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Heidfeld gets a penalty for speeding in the pit-lane, an investigation which was not communicated to the audience before hand, right as he's about to win the race, and gets a drive through.

Piquet gets a penalty for speeding under the yellow flags, an investigation which was not communicated to the audience before hand, after he's finished on the podium, and gets a grid penalty.

Seems fair.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!